As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel's The Avengers] Officially sunset as of 2023, goodbye true believers

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I really dislike Cap's design, his vest makes him look like he has a beer gut

Hulk is pretty much Diet MCU Hulk

I do like the slightly retro look to Iron Man's armor. I know you can customize (you do see a white suit Iron Man briefly) so that's cool.

I wonder what characters they're considering adding.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Unless it's crossplay... Then you can still play with your friends on Xbox as Spider-Man... Of course that's probably not very likely.

Sony is not playing ball with the crossplay game. Only Fortnite to this day has been allowed.

Oh for some reason I thought there was more than Fortnite. Fuck Sony for that.

i think they finally buckled on Rocket League too. Dauntless has it as well. they are dragging their heels on everything else though and only agreed to cross-save* for Destiny 2 at the last minute before that feature was officially announced.

*that's cross-save, not even cross-play. they really don't want folks to have the option of playing on anything but a Playstation.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    It looks alright.

I don't know, after all this time, I think I was just expecting more.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I am... tentative with my enthusiasm

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    That Matt Kim tweet is so spot-on. I was so hyped for a reveal that had all of the polish and punch of Spider-Man PS4, but I feel like we got Diet Avengers, and I'm puzzled as to why they didn't show gameplay when the demo is playable on the show floor.

Am I crazy? The character models seemed so last-gen. Here's hoping they can polish it to a shine in the months ahead, and here's hoping that impressions from the floor today are super positive.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Looks pretty boring. Can't even make your own hero? Tiny roster of boring heroes? There are so many avengers and they didn't do anything exciting.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular

I do like the slightly retro look to Iron Man's armor. I know you can customize (you do see a white suit Iron Man briefly) so that's cool.

The white Iron Man suit is his "superior Iron Man" suit, and he was in space, so I have a sinking suspicion that's less "you get to pick the suits!" and more "this is what Iron Man wears during the space mission".

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Looks pretty boring. Can't even make your own hero? Tiny roster of boring heroes? There are so many avengers and they didn't do anything exciting.

To be fair, they're adding more heroes via free DLC

Which..thank god, cause yeah that is the boring (extremely) white-bread of Avengers

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    mxmarks wrote: »

The white Iron Man suit is his "superior Iron Man" suit, and he was in space, so I have a sinking suspicion that's less "you get to pick the suits!" and more "this is what Iron Man wears during the space mission".

i expect you'll still get to pick skins, possibly with varying abilities, in parts of the game at least. they said no loot-boxes or pay to win bullshit, but they never ruled out microtransactions completely. and if they're adding areas and heroes for free then purchasable skins seems like the obvious way to bankroll the post release content.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I must admit I'm not a super big fan of the "Something bad happens and the heroes lose the public's trust" trope.

I'm fine with the concept it's just that more often than not the execution bothers me.

Most of the time the inciting incident isn't the heroes' fault. It is either something villains did or it is something that was out of their control.

If a story wants to use this trope I would prefer that the heroes 100% legit fuck up on their own. That is more compelling to me.

That all said, I am cautiously optimistic. Crystal Dynamics is a quality studio after all. Though I do hope they are taking notes from Digital Extremes.

edit- Oh in terms of cosmetics, yes absolutely that is a thing. The E3 schedule blurb on Avengers said you can customize the looks and abilities of your hero. In fact that blurb said a helluva lot more about the game than their presentation, which is frustrating.

There was also a leaker who said that when they saw the game the character being played was Steve Rogers wearing track pants and a t-shirt.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    They could have added uh, Captain Marvel...or whatever she's calling herself these days - Monica Rambeau. How is Black Panther not in there? War Machine?

Should have gone with Space Armor MK 1 from the 80s.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    It's weird how they went with a line-up similar to the MCU originals, but excluded Hawkeye for whatever reason.

He has a bow and arrows, how do you not put him in a video game?

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Unfortunately when people think about the Avengers these are the ones that come to mind immediately. Luckily they said they are adding more to it.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk, Ant Man, Wasp, and Thor are the original Avengers from 1963.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Okay so I’m cool with off-brand Avengers.

And I’m not the biggest fan of the MCU soundtrack.

But JESUS thus that game need the MCU soundtrack really fuckin bad.

• Options
    I'm curious as to the identity of the young woman narrating in the trailer. It could be nothing, but I suspect she is likely an unrevealed character. If I was a betting man I'd say she is Ms. Marvel.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I miss Marvel Heroes.

• Options
    I miss Marvel Heroes.

When that game was first revealed I balked at the idea of a bunch of Hulks running around.

When I got to play the game I was all, "HULK SQUAD SMASH! WOO!"

I ended up having a ton of fun with that game and played it on and off fairly regularly.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Okay so I’m cool with off-brand Avengers.

And I’m not the biggest fan of the MCU soundtrack.

But JESUS thus that game need the MCU soundtrack really fuckin bad.

I was really hoping it'd conclude with the MCU Avenger's theme. Alan Silvestri nailed that, and they've used it in so many films and trailers now it's a little surprising in its absence at this point.

Marvel has put so much effort into having a recognizable musical cue for the Avengers, I was kind of disappointed when it was missing.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Maybe I’m dense but I still don’t really understand what this game is. Are we talking an Ultimate Alliance type thing? Is it just playing through a version of the movies?

This seems kinda redundant with UA3 hitting in the future.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Maybe I’m dense but I still don’t really understand what this game is. Are we talking an Ultimate Alliance type thing? Is it just playing through a version of the movies?

Honestly we really don't know that much. Here is the E3 blurb that tells more (but not that much more) than the presentation did.

"Embrace your powers and join key members of the development team at Crystal Dynamics and the creative team at Marvel Games as they talk exclusively about the upcoming Marvel's Avengers. This is the defining Avengers gaming experience: an epic action-adventure that combines cinematic storytelling with continuous single-player and co-operative gameplay. Assemble in teams up to four players, master extraordinary abilities, customize your heroes to fit your playstyle, and combine powers to defend an ever-expanding world under constant threat."

We do know the game is third-person action, live service, that they will add more heroes over time and content updates will be free.

Despite how little we know, I feel like Warframe will be the nearest comparison in terms of execution.

• Options

It's not really like MUA though. MUA is a Gauntlet style dungeon crawler with a lot of heroes to choose from, with a top down perspective. This is a third person action game. They both have 4 player co-op, but it's different. MUA is more RPG, this looks to be like Destiny where your characters grow over time, and they continually update the game over several years.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

It's not really like MUA though. MUA is a Gauntlet style dungeon crawler with a lot of heroes to choose from, with a top down perspective. This is a third person action game. They both have 4 player co-op, but it's different. MUA is more RPG, this looks to be like Destiny where your characters grow over time, and they continually update the game over several years.

For a game where you pick an established character and play, this sounds so weird to me. Will we see four Iron Mans in parties? It doesn’t sound at all like what’s I’d look for in this kind of game.

But I guess we don’t know very much.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    I don't know if they'll let you play multiple of the same character or not, but it wouldn't be that bad since everyone's characters should look different.

I don't know how they can brag about Cap being playable if he died in the start of the game, but I suppose they'll just have some missions you can bring him along in?

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I don't know if they'll let you play multiple of the same character or not, but it wouldn't be that bad since everyone's characters should look different.

I don't know how they can brag about Cap being playable if he died in the start of the game, but I suppose they'll just have some missions you can bring him along in?

My totally off-the-walls buckwild crazy story spoiler prediction is that Cap didn't actually die.

• Options
    I mean, yeah it's comic books and he'll come back, but if that's like, the plot hook of the game?

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    America's Ass can never die...

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I think this looks like it could end up pretty great. The designs don't bother me as much as it seems it does most people. I'm a bit sad it seems to stick to the MCU roster minus Hawkeye. But then again with the promise of upcoming characters and missions, they can add a bunch more.

My guess/hopes for upcoming dlc:

Ant-Man
    Black Panther
    Ms. Marvel
    Spider-Man (PS4 exclusive to cross promote the Spider-Man game)
    Captain Marvel
    War-Machine
    Star-Lord
    Rocket

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    I mean, yeah it's comic books and he'll come back, but if that's like, the plot hook of the game?

The shield and mantle have been passed down a number of times.

Maybe a player can choose to play "Captain America" without it being Steve Rogers?

Alternatively a clone/Life Model Decoy/illusion/alternate dimension version/one of a hundred other fitting comic book tropes.

• Options
    They specifically call out Steve Rogers as being the Cap that's playable, though. Not that I would complain if we got FalCap or Bucky.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I think this looks like it could end up pretty great. The designs don't bother me as much as it seems it does most people. I'm a bit sad it seems to stick to the MCU roster minus Hawkeye. But then again with the promise of upcoming characters and missions, they can add a bunch more.

My guess/hopes for upcoming dlc:

Ant-Man
    Black Panther
    Ms. Marvel
    Spider-Man (PS4 exclusive to cross promote the Spider-Man game)
    Captain Marvel
    War-Machine
    Star-Lord
    Rocket

Given the current lineup is the OG MCU Avengers (sans Hawkguy) these are all extremely safe bets.

• Options
    They specifically call out Steve Rogers as being the Cap that's playable, though. Not that I would complain if we got FalCap or Bucky.

Ah, I hadn't seen that they've specifically said that. And if it was in the trailer then I plead the fifth and also have another reason to need to get more sleep.

Maybe he's found alive fairly early in the game? Like, if the disaster occurs in what is basically the prologue or tutorial section, cutscene showing how things have gone sideways in the aftermath, and then 'oh wow, what's this signal? What's going on?', BAM, Rogers is back!

• Options
    Having rewatched the trailer and picking up on the fact that they're using a Terrigen Crystal to power the helicarrier and it is a young woman who is obviously a big Avengers fangirl narrating I think it is pretty much guaranteed that Ms. Marvel will be in the game at launch.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    The game pitched so far confuses me. Are there RPG elements? Can my Iron Man be a much more badass version of Iron Man than the other Iron Man I run into? Will that be shown visually? If not....I..er...mm....

I assume no PvP?

Is it supposed to be an MMO like DC Universe...? But I have no character I can make?

I am so confused by this game. Aside from playing an Avenger, I don't feel like there's anything to grab on to to justify EXCITEMENT.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Exactly. I'm pretty sure that the narrator pov character will be Kamala, which works.

I chose my picks purely on the fact that they are the most likely.

My one out there desired character would be Havok or Wonder Man. Either of those (both of whom have been Avengers) would be awesome.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    So according to Marvel this is pretty much all we really know about the game for certain.

1. Release Date
    Marvel's Avengers will be released May 15, 2020 and will be available on PS4, Xbox, PC, and Stadia. You can sign up for updates at PlayAvengers.com.

2. The Roster
    This Avengers team is comprised of Earth's Mightiest -- and perhaps most recognizable -- Heroes: Captain America (played by Jeff Schine), Iron Man (Nolan North), Thor (Travis Willingham), Black Widow (Laura Bailey), and Bruce Banner (Troy Baker).

3. The Plot
    The story begins on A-Day, a celebration of the Avengers, which is going great… until tragedy strikes! The blame for the mass devastation falls right on Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, who are forced to go their separate ways. Five years later, a new evil arises, and the only hope to defeat it is the reassembled Avengers.

4. Gameplay: Single-player and Co-op
    The single-player campaign will cover most of what was revealed in the initial story. But as the story develops over the years within the game, that campaign will expand to include multiple players (up to four).

5. Free Content Updates
    There will be additional heroes and regions offered for free! (That means no random loot boxes and no pay-to-win scenarios!)

6. Super Customizable
    Each hero will have multiple outfits and costumes to choose from, from classic looks to more modern ones, and even all-new designs created exclusively for the game!

• Options
    so here's some of the devs talking about the game, cover some of the things folks have been asking here.

https://youtu.be/OJG9vluY38M

still not a super amount of detail but now that they've revealed it, and with a May release date, i'm sure we'll be hearing from them on a more regular basis going forward.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Endgame spoiler:
    Five years later, eh?

So I guess this is going to be a cross between Marvel Heroes and Destiny?

If they’re giving away the regions and the heroes, I assume they’ll be charging for cosmetics?