As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel's The Avengers] Officially sunset as of 2023, goodbye true believers

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    So the behind closed doors gameplay demo has seemed to have impressed people quite a lot to the point where the general consensus seems to be, "What the fuck were you guys thinking leading with that dumb trailer and not this?!".

some random bits:

Combat looked pretty satisfying and unique for each of the characters.

Each character has four abilities. 2 are regular use, one is an ultimate, and the fourth is a mystery currently (though speculation leans towards a multiplayer combo attack type of thing).

Devs were a little tight lipped about how multi works, but the impression people got was that the Story missions will be single player, involve predetermined characters and feature cutscenes. While random missions out in the world would be multiplayer.

The camera wasn't as close as GoW, but not as far away as Spider-Man.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Sounds kinda like a modern take on a brawler like Streets of Rage?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    The E3 video has finally been released. It looks...okay? Ish? The art style is still bad, the voices are bad, but uh....well, honestly I don't really have much good to say about it? It's all pre-alpha so there's still plenty of time to improve the game, and Crystal Dynamics has my benefit of the doubt due to the Tomb Raider reboot series, but this does not look great so far.

https://youtu.be/eqGZwz3GUII

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Widow looks _less_ like a guy with a red wig on, so there's that.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    They stopped their excellent Tomb Raider reboots for this?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    It's all pre-alpha so there's still plenty of time to improve the game

well may 15th 2020 means that there's exactly nine months to improve it, technically

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Watched it again because I want to like this. Spiderman PS4 is so good.

I think it looks amazing, visually. Mostly Thor, the lightning flashes and such look great.

Only Thor and Caps gameplay looked fun as a generic beat 'em up. The Iron Man segment looked like Marvels Panzer Dragoon. Hulks looked like a long series of QTEs. Black Widows was a fairly standard boss fight. And why are none of them fighting together? Wasn't this meant to be a coop shlooter? This looked like a single player game strung out with various shorter timed sections with each character.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I'm thoroughly disappointed in the art direction there. It's pseudo MCU, and it looks real wrong - like they couldn't get the likeness rights. Everyone's just a little off, the music is almost like Alan Silvestri's Avenger's Theme, but it's not. They should have gone Spider-Man PS4 route, take inspiration from the movies and comics, make your own new middle ground style.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Eurogamer have a bit more detail on what the actual game is, though it's over the intro/tutorial footage so nothing new to view just listen to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KOQuxuLiVw&t=0s

It's still a bit vague but you can get an idea of the structure that isn't just a word salad of game mechanics like the e3 presentation. Really going to have to see how it lands, sounds like it'll either work or just be a solid eeeeeehhh at best.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

I think it looks amazing, visually. Mostly Thor, the lightning flashes and such look great.

Only Thor and Caps gameplay looked fun as a generic beat 'em up. The Iron Man segment looked like Marvels Panzer Dragoon. Hulks looked like a long series of QTEs. Black Widows was a fairly standard boss fight. And why are none of them fighting together? Wasn't this meant to be a coop shlooter? This looked like a single player game strung out with various shorter timed sections with each character.

This is just the opening game tutorial level.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

They haven't really shown off Co-op yet, just the single player campaign

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    This game looks a hundred percent better when it's not the MCU Avengers.

https://youtu.be/tFyJ_zwIAAE

PS4 Spiderman looked off to me for the same reason, but I didn't care because it was amazing.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    So the behind closed doors gameplay demo has seemed to have impressed people quite a lot to the point where the general consensus seems to be, "What the fuck were you guys thinking leading with that dumb trailer and not this?!".

After the Kamala trailer, I completely understand this viewpoint. I'm actually excited for this game now! It doesn't just look like a bad parody of the MCU!

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Watching Kamala's hands and arms and stuff extend and grow and stuff is bonkers in exactly the right way.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I really appreciate the use of Kamala; Marvels done a really good job of developing her as a nuanced super hero for the last few years and this shows that they're willing to use less well known superheroes going forward.

Also, this is exactly the kind of thing she would do if the avengers were sulking.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    and its been delayed till September. hoping the 'fine tuning and polishing' will be what the game needs.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/1/14/21065276/marvel-avengers-game-delay-release-crystal-dynamics

• Options
    IndoorsmanIndoorsman Registered User regular
    I'm glad for the delay. More Cyberpunk time.

September is close (presumably) to the PS5 launch. This will probably be the last PS4 game I buy.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad.

This is clearly a big project that the developers are working on and their is a hell of a bar for them to clear for them to be taken seriously considering the success of the recent spiderman game, Marvel's monolithic status and the developers standing.

And let's be honest: the past decade has been rife with games that had the potential to be awesome but needed more time in development before being released.

I can wait.

• Options
    Last thing we need is another Anthem

• Options
    I honestly had no idea when it was even supposed to come out in the first place.

This is good news. The unprecedented juggernaut of gaming that is March is likely going to be pretty far reaching and I think May is likely still in the blast zone.

Delaying the game to polish it up, great idea. Delaying the game so you're nowhere near March, also probably a good idea.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    That Kamala Khan trailer was pretty good, and yeah, hearing it has been pushed back to September actually raises my interest in the game. Hopefully that extra quarter or so is enough to polish things up and get the game where it needs to be, but after the rough first impression, I'm still inclined to wait to hear from others what their take is on it. Like, in the wild, this thread blows up by 30 pages in a weekend kind of actual enjoyment, not just marketing and promises.

Been burned too many times before.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Hopefully they touch up the character designs, u get what they're going for but it feels like off-brand MCU style costumes

• Options
    Oh the FF7 Remake got delayed too (until April) for the same general reason, polish. Both games are from the same Publisher, SE.

Though, I suspect in this case they maybe are also trying to get out of CP2077's shadow since it is only being delayed for like 3-4 weeks.

• Options
    https://youtu.be/MNUjCu1q3rA
    Hard to tell if the character models are improved (Cap still looks bulky as hell) but the gameplay looks a lot more fleshed out than before

• Options
    War Table today at 10 AM PDT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWM5uha3ZMk

also If you buy on current gen consoles, you'll get a free upgrade for next gen.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The Avengers game is launching so slowly that games like Anthem designed to me too in the looter shooter space have already launched and then flopped already.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Apparently the stream has been pushed back to 10:30 AM PDT

EDIT Stream is now active, but the countdown now puts it at 11AM PDT

VoodooV on
  • Options
    stream is live now.

https://youtu.be/LWM5uha3ZMk

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I'll just wait for people to post the highlights.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I keep looking at this game, thinking "maybe this time they'll show something that makes it click for me", and it never does. The gameplay looks like a PS2/OG Xbox era third person action game, just with fancy modern graphics. And it's also Destiny for some reason?

I don't know. Maybe they'll put out a demo and it actually turns out to be fun, but everything they've showed so far just seems incredibly generic.

• Options
    Yeah, I was underwhelmed. There was nothing live about that stream. It was just a video they could have dropped at any time so I wonder what the delay was about. Maybe they did have something live planned but had to cut it out at the last moment. I'm still interested in this because of the Avengers, but yeah, generic is right.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The lack of UI until later was throwing me off. It helped contextualize things a little bit. But earlier thoughts that this is Marvel's Destinyvengers seem pretty spot on. I don't hate it, and I'm probably in as long as the controls are alright and the sporadic slowdown happening on the stream isn't in the final game.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    They definitely got points from actually using MODOK, whenever AIM gets trotted out they always tease MODOK but never deliver. Also Kamala looks pretty awesome so, again brownie points.

The biggest knock against the game is it's still painfully generic. Like they made the models look less wooden but still at the core of the designs they don't look right. I wish they had gone either for a more stylized approach, or gone back and redesigned some of the characters. To this day Tony, Cap and Bruce all look like nobodies and it's a bummer. In fact the only design I do like are the female ones. They finally fixed Black Widow's doofer face.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I just...can't bring myself to give a shit about this game.

I love Marvel, I love The Avengers but something about this just makes it feel like its rolling off an assembly line or something.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

I love Marvel, I love The Avengers but something about this just makes it feel like its rolling off an assembly line or something.

They should have gone with a comic book style to the art instead of this generic almost-MCU-movie style.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options

They should have gone with a comic book style to the art instead of this generic almost-MCU-movie style.

Yeah, I mean man I think they really flubbed it with their style choice of, "Get as close as you can to the MCU but not close enough we have to pay royalties!".

Games like this are supposed to run for a fair number of years (in theory) so having an art style like this it is gonna look dated by next year for sure if not the moment of its launch.

Should've gone comic booky, bright colors, camp and fun nonsense.

I've nothing against the concept, I loved Marvel Heroes and would kill for something like it. This however isn't it.

Oh! Oh! Oh! I think I just realized why I'm kinda put off by this game. Even though it officially isn't everything I've seen about the game reminds me of those movie-tie-in games that are knocked out quick to coincide with a movie launch.

• Options
    So Casey Lynch, who you all might remember as the narrator of today's Avengers video has been accused by multiple people of sexual harassment and solicitation of his male employees while working at IGN

And now, having just watched that video a short while ago, I need to go take a very long shower

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Wtf

This is one ship that was doomed to sink from the start eh

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 did that and it worked really well. They're comic book people doing comic book things. Great.

This looks... Uncanny Valley-ish. Not comic enough, not movie enough.

• Options
    there's gonna be an AMA over on Reddit in a bit, looks like its focused on the multi-player mode but might include general game details too.