As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel's The Avengers] Officially sunset as of 2023, goodbye true believers

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Yea, the beta trailer is what pushed me to finally pre-order it. Black Widow looks like she will be tons of fun to play.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Yea, the beta trailer is what pushed me to finally pre-order it. Black Widow looks like she will be tons of fun to play.

They all looked pretty fun, but I'm going hulk its always Hulk. I did like the "subtle" way they showed various I assume dlc costumes.

Normally I'd think spiderman is a given, but seeing as Sony has the rights on him we probably won't see him in this despite him or one of his variants (miles, spider gwen) would be fucking awesome here.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

They all looked pretty fun, but I'm going hulk its always Hulk. I did like the "subtle" way they showed various I assume dlc costumes.

Normally I'd think spiderman is a given, but seeing as Sony has the rights on him we probably won't see him in this despite him or one of his variants (miles, spider gwen) would be fucking awesome here.

I'm not entirely sure on that. Spidey, and all his Spidey cohorts, made it into Ultimate Alliance 3. Sony does have an edge on that, so if anything they could leverage that to make Spidey an exclusive to Sony DLC... But that would really be annoying because all my friends are on Xbox.

Tbh I don't care which Spider-human we get, any will do

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    The Avengers game is going to flop hard I think. Every attempt at marketing falls flat, and it looks like a game that wanted to capitalize on the hugely successful films, but not pay for any of the respective rights to it, so is doing one of those Asylum-film style knock offs. Plus the general logistics of trying to make 5+ playstyles for different characters with WILDLY different abilities.

If I'm being realistic I'd have to say it wont do well.

The main campaign is single player and each mission is specific to a hero.

The multiplayer mode is 4 people, if you don't have four you'll be matchmaked, no duplicate heroes and these missions can last up to two hours. You can play it solo with 3 AI companions.

While there is gear and loot it is not cosmetic. If you want to change your appearance you need a cosmetic skin.

Eh, I'm seeing a lot of newbie mistakes for a live service game. Should've just made Warframe with a Marvel skin. I would've been all over that.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Honestly, not having my look tied to stats is a plus after years of struggling to look good in Destiny with high stat gear

• Options
    Axen wrote: »
    The Avengers game is going to flop hard I think. Every attempt at marketing falls flat, and it looks like a game that wanted to capitalize on the hugely successful films, but not pay for any of the respective rights to it, so is doing one of those Asylum-film style knock offs. Plus the general logistics of trying to make 5+ playstyles for different characters with WILDLY different abilities.

The multiplayer mode is 4 people, if you don't have four you'll be matchmaked, no duplicate heroes and these missions can last up to two hours. You can play it solo with 3 AI companions.

While there is gear and loot it is not cosmetic. If you want to change your appearance you need a cosmetic skin.

Eh, I'm seeing a lot of newbie mistakes for a live service game. Should've just made Warframe with a Marvel skin. I would've been all over that.

Coop is required to be four player? Is that verified? That kind of deflates me excitement for the coop missions as it'll just be the two of us. Blech.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I don't mind spending money on skins, but by and large players like to show off their hard earned loot.

But, the one thing that will be the downfall of this game will be content. Their Campaign looks fancy. They have cut-scenes, dialogue, set pieces, the whole nine yards. It does look really nice and really expensive and really time consuming to make.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    I just hope the story is more than just a few missions and has at least a little depth to it. That is my main desire.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Axen wrote: »

Coop is required to be four player? Is that verified? That kind of deflates me excitement for the coop missions as it'll just be the two of us. Blech.

From what I have seen/read, that isn't the case. Well, sorta. During a co-op mission, there will always be 4 heroes, however you can choose to have any combination of ai or matchmade/invited players. So in your case, if you didn't want to matchmake, you and your friend can have two ai players follow around.

In the case where you use the ai players, they have the stats and skills of the host's version of that hero (i'm assuming).

We'll know for sure once the demo hits next week.

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    So I saw the whole loot table and was like "Yay... can't wait to spend hours farming for minimal stat increases".

Avengers is like the biggest case of negative hype I've had in a while. The more I see just kills my interest more and more.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I really want impressions from the betas coming up, because how the combat flows is going to be the key for me.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    So I saw the whole loot table and was like "Yay... can't wait to spend hours farming for minimal stat increases".

Avengers is like the biggest case of negative hype I've had in a while. The more I see just kills my interest more and more.

Eh, we really don't know how much you'll have to grind. In destiny for instance, the grinding is really only for the people who want to experience endgame content. I doubt it'll matter much in story mode.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I am personally pumped for this. The more I see, the more I like what I see.
    I saw some rumors today that Spider-man will be exclusive to PS4 which...well, that would suck. I didn't realize his likeness rights extended to that. I thought it was just movie stuff and the actual game.
    I could get it on PS4 but I'd prefer it on PC. Plus, just a rumor, we shall see. It'd be hard to play him after playing the PS4 Spider-man anyway...but losing out on the story stuff would be a bummer.

Anyhoo, I'm all pre-ordered and ready to gooooo for beta on the 14th.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Is this what the awesome diablo style game died for to become this? I may like this, but the diablo style pc game was awesome.

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    Is this what the awesome diablo style game died for to become this? I may like this, but the diablo style pc game was awesome.

Marvel licensing can be tricky, especially now that Disney is at the wheel

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020

Was Ultimate Alliance 3 any good? I remember there being a thread when it came out that stayed up awhile.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Was Ultimate Alliance 3 any good? I remember there being a thread when it came out that stayed up awhile.

It was sub par, but Rick is probably thinking of is Marvel Heroes and that wasn't disney so much as mismanagement of the IP by the company running the game.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Marvel Heroes was fun, and I did like how they were trying to have each character have their own mechanics by the end.

• Options
    HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    RE: SpiderMan being exclusive to the Playstation version of the game rumor - I saw rumblings a little while go and appears to have originated from a less then reputable site. Also consider that spiderman was in ultimate aliance 3 and such so I'm pretty confident that rumor is incorrect, though all I have is internet hersay so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

I've also decided to just go all in and pre-order on PC. I've been craving a fun superhero experience for a while now and that coupled with my short hands-on of an early build last year, plus the new footage coming out looking pretty good, i'm fairly confident i'll have a good time with this. Also geeze I need something to look forward to at the moment, so i'm just going to hope for the best haha. Guess i'll get an idea if I made the right choice on the 14th.

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    If Spidey was going to be console exclusive, I can only imagine it would have to be timed. And what PC or Xbox would get for a counter exclusive should be just as desirable, if they decided to go that route.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Hullabaloo wrote: »
    RE: SpiderMan being exclusive to the Playstation version of the game rumor - I saw rumblings a little while go and appears to have originated from a less then reputable site. Also consider that spiderman was in ultimate aliance 3 and such so I'm pretty confident that rumor is incorrect, though all I have is internet hersay so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

I've also decided to just go all in and pre-order on PC. I've been craving a fun superhero experience for a while now and that coupled with my short hands-on of an early build last year, plus the new footage coming out looking pretty good, i'm fairly confident i'll have a good time with this. Also geeze I need something to look forward to at the moment, so i'm just going to hope for the best haha. Guess i'll get an idea if I made the right choice on the 14th.

All good points, and I certainly hope you are correct! I am sticking with PC as well. As I told my friend, even though I think the game looks awesome, it would have to be a REALLY bad Avengers game for me to not play it. I played through Ultimate Alliance 3 several times, after all.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Unless there's something in the Hail Mary deal between Marvel and Sony to save MCU Spidey last year, Marvel/Disney has the licensing and merchandise rights to all their stuff, it's only movies that Sony has the stranglehold on. The Spider-man game was PS4 exclusive because Sony was the company that wanted a game to cash in alongside their movies and they're not likely to make an in-house game that isn't.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

It was a lot of fun in the moment, but it had one absolutely horrible design miscalculation: non-party members did not receive XP, so it ultimately boiled down to you created a party and stuck with that one party throughout the entire game. It sucked a lot of the fun out of "we've got 50 of your favorite Marvel characters, play any character you want!" because unless you wanted to spend 20 hours grinding out Hulk to be the same level as the enemies you're currently fighting, you can't actually play as anyone you want.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

It was a lot of fun in the moment, but it had one absolutely horrible design miscalculation: non-party members did not receive XP, so it ultimately boiled down to you created a party and stuck with that one party throughout the entire game. It sucked a lot of the fun out of "we've got 50 of your favorite Marvel characters, play any character you want!" because unless you wanted to spend 20 hours grinding out Hulk to be the same level as the enemies you're currently fighting, you can't actually play as anyone you want.

Plus, My God, the stats on items was the worst. Like 20 stats per item. It was ridiculous. You needed a spreadsheet, flowchart, AND one of those pin-boards with all the strings connecting suspects of a murder just to be able to determine if your new gloves were better than your current gloves.

• Options
    vamen wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Plus, My God, the stats on items was the worst. Like 20 stats per item. It was ridiculous. You needed a spreadsheet, flowchart, AND one of those pin-boards with all the strings connecting suspects of a murder just to be able to determine if your new gloves were better than your current gloves.

You guys are talking about different games, syphon is talking about Ultimate alliance 3, you're talking about marvel heroes.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Ooooh haha, so we are!
    I had plenty of issues with MUA3 as well! =p

But I still played a lot of BOTH of them!

vamen on
  • Options
    And there was a tweet this morning spiderman is exclusive to sony for marvel avengers.

Hooray more anti consumer nonesense from the kings.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Lame. Kind off a turn off because now I'm not sure where to get it

• Options
    It's also annoying because either we miss out on part of the story, or he's not involved in the story at all. Or even worse, we'll see the cutscenes with him but not be able to play...

• Options
    It's also annoying because either we miss out on part of the story, or he's not involved in the story at all. Or even worse, we'll see the cutscenes with him but not be able to play...

Its just annoying to me because I really like spiderman but because of anti consumer practices can't get him on my platform, and unlike destiny/2 I won't ever get access to him, and PC/Xbox will get nothing instead it'll just be "you get the game you should be happy" almost tempted to cancel a preorder honestly.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Before the Spoder-Man thing, I was maybe thinking of getting this if only in the hopes there would be War Machine and USAgent skins since they're super easy to do. But unless Xbox got their own exclusive character ala Soul Calibur 2, no dice.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Before the Spoder-Man thing, I was maybe thinking of getting this if only in the hopes there would be War Machine and USAgent skins since they're super easy to do. But unless Xbox got their own exclusive character ala Soul Calibur 2, no dice.

Xbox/PC will not get anything. This exclusive just for Sony to fuck the other two platforms.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    EDIT - Nevermind!

vamen on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Considering how terribly almost every recent game has run on a regular PS4, I was planning on getting this for PC. Never mind I guess.
    Though shout out to FF7R for being extremely smooth on my base PS4.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    These "special portions of the game are exclusive to one console" deals are the absolute worst and people really should respond by not buying the game at all.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    The crazy thing is it's not a timed exclusive, it's forever.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah, people seem really mad about it. I'm not really surprised but, damn. No way does anyone buy the game now on anything other than PS unless some huge counter comes out which I really doubt. Spiderman is such a heavy-hitter to miss out on.

• Options
    It's especially a middle finger to Xbox players, who haven't had a Spidey game in 6 years, and we know it's possible given the Ultimate Alliance situation

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I don't see how that's a surprise given that Sony has the Spider-Man license. He was either going to be PS4 only or not in the game.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    I don't see how that's a surprise given that Sony has the Spider-Man license. He was either going to be PS4 only or not in the game.

Because a game just came out on the switch that had multiple spidermen in it. And this fucks PC too. So its not just xbox its pc. It might as well say the game is ps4 exclusive.

pleasepaypreacher.net