As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel's The Avengers] Officially sunset as of 2023, goodbye true believers

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean I can see matchmaking issues because I mostly play the game solo. I imagine others are the same way.

Steam doesn't care if you are playing solo for its concurrent numbers, which are dropping below 1000.

Of course the Steam version could just be a super fail compared to the consoles for some unexplained reason.

Spider-Man being a PS exclusive certainly isn't doing any favors for the ecosystem on other platforms. I wonder if they have numbers for the Xbox and PS versions.

I got a free key for this game when I bought my CPU for a new computer build. I think free might just be the right price for the game. I'm hoping they actually fix the game and make it fun and worth sticking with past the campaign, but if not it'll at least be a nice test of my new build (once I get the GPU, that is).

• Options
    HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I had fun with the game, but yeah - not much to do post game, i've pretty much dropped it for other things at the moment, which I expected would happen, but was hoping the endgame had a little more too it, what with the whole extra year of development time. I think the biggest let down is that it's all aim. I was hoping for another faction or two to show up in the end game.

However I'm still keen to play any story content they put out, seeing as it will be free. Maybe they can turn it around? Not holding my breath though.

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    There's supposed to be a developer blog sometime this week, to detail what's coming in the Kate Bishop and Clint Barton DLC packs. They have already teased a few things, such as a continuation of the campaign story, and a new quest hub for future content.

The cynical side of me can't help but already start feeling like that's just extra bloat to a game that is already plagued by too many loading screens that last for way too long. I already have to fly to the Helicarier every day and pickup my daily missions. Then I have to fly to the Ant Hill and pickup more missions there. Don't make me have to fly to a 3rd location. And of course, new content means new reputations to grind. The two reps that already exist are already mega grindy and feel pretty lackluster (this is mostly due to the fact that the entire gear system sucks, so it's hard to get excited about buying gear from a rep vendor). And you know that since this is a live service game, they will add more reps to grind, which will be equally (or moreso) grindy. This game has already proven that their entire post game game loop is designed for player retention, not for fun.

In summary, I find it hard to care about future content, given what I know about the game and the GAAS nature of the game.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    There's supposed to be a developer blog sometime this week, to detail what's coming in the Kate Bishop and Clint Barton DLC packs. They have already teased a few things, such as a continuation of the campaign story, and a new quest hub for future content.

The cynical side of me can't help but already start feeling like that's just extra bloat to a game that is already plagued by too many loading screens that last for way too long. I already have to fly to the Helicarier every day and pickup my daily missions. Then I have to fly to the Ant Hill and pickup more missions there. Don't make me have to fly to a 3rd location. And of course, new content means new reputations to grind. The two reps that already exist are already mega grindy and feel pretty lackluster (this is mostly due to the fact that the entire gear system sucks, so it's hard to get excited about buying gear from a rep vendor). And you know that since this is a live service game, they will add more reps to grind, which will be equally (or moreso) grindy. This game has already proven that their entire post game game loop is designed for player retention, not for fun.

In summary, I find it hard to care about future content, given what I know about the game and the GAAS nature of the game.

Honestly kinda surprised they have not been hyping the hawkeyes coming in as I believe kate's part of the DLC comes later in october so I would be thinking they would be really trying to pound out info now but its been pretty quiet.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    The focus on AIM is so odd as a design decision. You have this vast universe full of villains and groups, and they decided to just do a single faction with, in the endgame, two seemingly randomly chosen villains repeated over and over again.

If they had just spent the time since launch trickling in new bad guys, it would be more engaging.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    To be fair, it has only been a month. I honestly don't expect a trickle that fast. I think quarterly updates are much more realistic.

However, when your game is hemoraging players because it's not a good game, and you're spending all your development time just trying to fix technical issues, that's the real problem. The other problem is that the game should have shipped with better variety and a more engaging end-game to begin with. Quarterly updates only work if there's a good foundation to build upon. Which there is not.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    De Ja Anthem?

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    De Ja Anthem?

I'd say the big difference between Anthem and the Avengers is that the Avengers shipped with a really good single-player campaign. While the GAAS stuff is weak, I don't regret at all experiencing the campaign while Anthem left me increasingly underwhelmed as I went through the base game.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    A game with 6 heroes should have launched with bare minimum 6 super villains to fight. Not hitting that is an extreme warning bell for not knowing what they're doing, imo.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I don't necessarily want more villain fights considering the two humanoid ones we got are kind of crap. Honestly I wish there was a free mode for all the basic zones, and that some of the dailies weren't just complete shit and the fact you can only reroll one of two objectives and sometimes get something absolutely worse or impossible is crap.

Like on my ironman I have kill 10 robot boss types for a weekly that's only half way done despite killing twenty of them but my ai snipe the kill and I don't get credit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    A game with 6 heroes should have launched with bare minimum 6 super villains to fight. Not hitting that is an extreme warning bell for not knowing what they're doing, imo.

That isn't how at least half the avengers movies worked? This game is as questionable as that kind of a litmus test.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

That isn't how at least half the avengers movies worked? This game is as questionable as that kind of a litmus test.

Games and movies are EXTREMELY different? A movie is 3 hours max, people would have picketed their office if they tried to sell a 2-3 hour campaign. Ideally, each boss would present a challenge or reflect something about each playable character so that every character in the campaign has a satisfying climactic challenge. That's how a multi-character campaign tends to work best. No opinion on what that would mean for multiplayer since they apparently did a terrible job making the bosses they did make fun for a group to fight.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I would like some endgame content already.

I like playing as the characters,but why am I trying to max out my characters? Plus if I knew what the raid was like I would know which perks to look for on my gear.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I would like to keep playing the game, but I literally can't because of bugs, I haven't even seen all the content to complain about wanting more.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    So I haven't been playing much while they fix some things but will probably spin up the game again soon since there's a new patch today: https://avengers.square-enix-games.com/en-us/news/v1-3-3-patch-notes

These notes are some good stuff, not gonna lie. Kind of curious if Substation Zero will be "worth it" but adding terminals to accept faction missions etc is a great move. Just a lot of signs of "oh hey, maybe they ARE listening, neat!" I mean we'll see if it's enough, but I'll take anything at this point.

• Options
    DecatusDecatus Registered User regular
    I'm a huge fan of the fact that the "boost all melee and ranged damage" modifiers now only impact players. Like, holy Moses that on its own is great.

Mega hives also now grantee at least two exotics, which is apparently baller. Ive never done one, but now I sort of want to.

PSN: decatus90
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Decatus wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of the fact that the "boost all melee and ranged damage" modifiers now only impact players. Like, holy Moses that on its own is great.

Mega hives also now grantee at least two exotics, which is apparently baller. Ive never done one, but now I sort of want to.

An early criticism is that ranged enemies suck because they can take out characters with 1 hit. After seeing the Torpedo modifier I suspected that this was probably the cause for most people's issues (though there are still other problems re: indicators) so I'm glad they reworked that. Getting hit should almost never be a 1 shot now, or even that close, I'd imagine.

re: exotics it gets even better. They weren't guaranteed but the other, and almost bigger issue, was that they just...weren't that good compared to Legendaries. You could easily get your 1 drop or whatever and the rolls on it would just straight up suck, which is a Feels Bad moment. With this patch they retuned some of that so Exotics in general should be even better, so not only are they dropping at higher rates they're also going to actually be worth it. A very nice step in the right direction!

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    It's a nice set of patch notes to be sure, but it also feels like stuff that should have been addressed prior to the official launch of the game. A lot of the bugs and improvements are things that were brought up during the beta.

• Options
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    Decatus wrote: »

An early criticism is that ranged enemies suck because they can take out characters with 1 hit. After seeing the Torpedo modifier I suspected that this was probably the cause for most people's issues (though there are still other problems re: indicators) so I'm glad they reworked that. Getting hit should almost never be a 1 shot now, or even that close, I'd imagine.

re: exotics it gets even better. They weren't guaranteed but the other, and almost bigger issue, was that they just...weren't that good compared to Legendaries. You could easily get your 1 drop or whatever and the rolls on it would just straight up suck, which is a Feels Bad moment. With this patch they retuned some of that so Exotics in general should be even better, so not only are they dropping at higher rates they're also going to actually be worth it. A very nice step in the right direction!

Yeah fucking torpedo would one shot me, as do the melee modifiers if it was a weaker character.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    bleargh, new patch did not fix my infinite loading bug.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    As per the new devblog

https://avengers.square-enix-games.com/en-us/news/sotg_oct_2020/

Kate is pushed back

Next gen version is pushed into next year

Other activities seems to be on schedule

Player will get getting

Credits: 1500 – Enough for a Legendary Skin and Nameplate from the Marketplace
    Units: 7000
    Upgrade Modules: 250
    DNA Keys: 20
    A Sarah Garza-Inspired Nameplate (Because seriously, you’re the best.)

• Options
    Well, that news sucks. Smart to drop it when they just added something to the game.

I'd like a real date on the raid, which hopefully isn't tied to Kate's stuff.

• Options
    I believe the raid is tied into the Wakanda content, so we should be getting info on that at the same time as Black Panther. Pretty sure it's going to be early next year.

• Options
    They expect me to wait three months to do the first raid?

These motherfuckers are crazy.

• Options
    I mean, it was going to be released much closer to launch, but then Chadwick Boseman passed. Their origional "War Table" thing during launch week was supposed to be the Wakanda and Black Panther reveal.

Personally I'm okay with them taking the time to fix bugs and systems issues, and then release Wakanda and Black Panther in a respectful and considerate manner a few months down the road.

• Options
    AIM Cloning Labs is meant to be the first "raid" though somewhat smaller than the Wakanda stuff afaik. Cloning Labs is still "soon" and the Wakanda stuff was always going to be after Kate/Clint, the timeline just got shifted a bit. The wording of the post implies Kate and Clint are still this year, at least, but it will probably be Kate in Nov, Clint in Dec instead.

I wish they'd share more details around the timing but I think focusing on the bugs/issues has at least been pretty smart. Especially since it doesn't seem like these delays are that long. I can wait an extra month to start getting them if it means experiencing them is a better, well, experience.

• Options
    They're streaming right now, they still don't want to give any hard dates but:

Another War Table in November.
    AIM Cloning Lab is expected within the next two weeks.

• Options
    Since I'm one of the only people to probably do it on the forums. when you hit rank 50 with the shield faction you get another artifact, this one is a defensive one with a heal. Feels weird to have it locked behind such a long grind.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I was thinking about the matchmaking issue. For a long time, the community has placed a lot of the blame for poor matchmaking on the fact that they only allow one of each hero. We don't have anything official to backup that claim, but I believe it is probably highly likely as one of the top contributing factors. Obviously a declining playerbase plays into poor matchmaking too. But the one unique hero thing was affecting the matchmaking even during week 1 and 2, when the playerbase was at its peak.

The reason why I bring that up is because I think the release of Kate Bishop (or any new hero in the future) will only exacerbate this issue. It's gonna create a very tighly focused chokepoint in matchmaking. Since the game at this point has been out for a couple months, and the dedicated playerbase who have stuck with it will likely be at level cap with multiple (maybe all) characters, that means a very large majority of the playerbase is going to be attempting to queue for matchmaking with Kate Biship (or Clint Barton, or T'chala in the future), and whereas before you had a 1 in 5 chance that the hero you were queuing as would create a bottleneck, in the future when new characters are released, there is going to be a 1 out of 1 chance that your character selection is the problem.

My point is this: Even if a ton of the playerbase returns to the game to try out the Kate Bishop DLC and any additional missions, raids, or whatever that come along with her, it will not fix the matchmaking problem, and people will very quickly grow frustrated and walk away again. It's gonna be worse with Kate Biship being the funneling point in matchmaking, where everyone is queuing as her, and everyone is trying to run missions as her at the same time.

And that same problem will happen with literally every character release going forward. The only way they can resolve this and truly fix matchmaking while simultaneously keeping their playerbase from walking away again, is if they remove the unique hero rule. That is literally the only way this game works, long term.

• Options
    I got this game free with my cpu and I just finished my computer build yesterday. Despite the issues with the game, I'm looking forward to trying it out, if for no other reason than as a nice test for my new build.

The unique hero rule does seem like something that will continue making matchmaking difficult. Like, I get the idea behind it, but a looter GAAS game with character restrictions is a bad idea. Like, imagine if Destiny 2 only allowed a single type of each Guardian into an instance. Or if Borderlands had a unique character rule. It's just an arbitrary restriction on what people can play and it doesn't make sense with how people are actually interacting with the game.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/PqgPw7zL7vA

There's still time to fix this, but they have to hustle

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    For the love of god maybe companies will stop making everything games as service. Please

• Options
    I feel that I got my $60 worth from the excellent campaign. Kamala Khan carried that game, and I enjoyed the time I spent with it.

But I uninstalled it with my highest character being level 30, because at that point I was done with the game.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I got Kamala and Widow to max level, but then I just put it aside. Campaign was great, after that it felt like a different team took over and just had access to the same assets.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Prohass wrote: »
    For the love of god maybe companies will stop making everything games as service. Please

The characters looking like budget versions of their MCU counterparts was what initially had me wary then when they announced it was a GaaS that killed what interest I had left.

The average looking combat and inventories full of the same items with slightly different stats didn't do much to change that.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I know for me I stopped playing cause the performance on a base PS4 was dogshit.

Even though the next-gen versions don't come out until next year, I'm still planning to try the PS4 version on PS5 to see if I can play it without the game turning into a slideshow.

I honestly think that the game shouldn't have come out on the current gen and should have just been next gen.

H0b0man on
    FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Echo wrote: »
    I got Kamala and Widow to max level, but then I just put it aside. Campaign was great, after that it felt like a different team took over and just had access to the same assets.

Yeah I finished like 4 season passes for characters but there wasn't really anything to keep me playing beyond that.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    the patch released yesterday appears to have fixed my infinite loading issue. I can actually play this again, gasp!

• Options
    The big problem for the game is that there's nothing to gear up for and know super cool looking armor to grind a faction to unlock.

I really like the gameplay, but there's no endgame content to play. If they don't have a bunch of new stuff when its ready for next gen they don't have a chance to regain players.

• Options
    The lack of endgame at launch is a sin that is unforgivable for GaaS. Even if the core gameplay feels amazing, if there's nothing to stick around for then people will dip once the story is over.

It's like they saw what happened to Anthem and thought that the only improvement needed was a splash of Marvel paint.