As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Welcome to the [Marvel's The Avengers] Thread, hope you survive the experience!

1545557596064

Posts

  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Booted this up on my series X for shits and grins. Went performance over quality because that's what I always choose, I know nothing of kates powers and thank god I was on harm room 1 because I would have been annihilated.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Why are there two archers and no Captain Marvel? Whyyyyyyyyyy? That is a very weird choice to make. It's 50% off on Xbox atm, still not enough to get me to bite.

  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Why are there two archers and no Captain Marvel? Whyyyyyyyyyy? That is a very weird choice to make. It's 50% off on Xbox atm, still not enough to get me to bite.

    I honestly feel like the game started life as some kind of agents of shield style game, which would have used hawk eye and kate bishop over some of the more super powered avengers.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    So I decided to check this out again since the PS5 upgrade is out.

    Played through the Kate Bishop story stuff. It was alright. Not as good as the main story from launch, but I enjoyed it. Kate is also pretty fun to play. I didn't realize she was all about teleporting around, but it's fun.

    The 60 fps mode on PS5 is a world of difference from playing this on a base PS4. The game doesn't randomly turn into a slideshow anymore. It's actually playable.

    H0b0man on
    FFXIV: Agran Trask
    Kyanilis
  • KyanilisKyanilis Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Why are there two archers and no Captain Marvel? Whyyyyyyyyyy? That is a very weird choice to make. It's 50% off on Xbox atm, still not enough to get me to bite.

    If datamines/leaks are to be believed Captain Marvel is within the next few heroes to be added. Based on when Black Panther is coming out though, this will easily be next year territory so...

  • PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    I mean. I am wishing the best for this game. I think I got my money’s worth when I bought it at launch. It absolutely flabbergasts me that the avengers isn’t the most layup title of video games this decade but here we are.

    I hope they turn it around and they can do with the division did.

    Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
    Bobble
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Why are there two archers and no Captain Marvel? Whyyyyyyyyyy? That is a very weird choice to make. It's 50% off on Xbox atm, still not enough to get me to bite.

    While Captain Marvel is almost certainly coming if the datamine is to be believed, I agree with you. I like Hawkeye and I love Kate Bishop, but I'm not sure why the game needed both of them in it. The Marvel Universe has so many characters that it is just a waste that the game was given two arrow heroes, especially one after the other.

    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Penumbra wrote: »
    I mean. I am wishing the best for this game. I think I got my money’s worth when I bought it at launch. It absolutely flabbergasts me that the avengers isn’t the most layup title of video games this decade but here we are.

    I hope they turn it around and they can do with the division did.

    Save the first game to ruin it in a sequel? Weird flex bro...

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    urahonky
  • KyanilisKyanilis Registered User regular
    So they're changing their weekly stream format. Previously it was "low information, we're just playing with the fans" which was...not ideal imo. Going forward they're mostly going to do shorter Friday streams but focus on information and do "Play with the devs" streams about once a month. This is good, people mostly want info.

    Taking notes:
    Quick rundown on current bugs and status, particularly things that came with Future Imperfect. I think they've posted about the known issues on reddit etc already anyway.
    Tachyon Anomaly is about 2 weeks, no start date yet. They're experimenting with duplicate heroes, it won't be a permanent feature to start. They're going to be looking at if people enjoy it and how it works out to decide if they'll do more duplicate hero events or if it'll just be permanent. (imo, people will want it to be permanent, so I'm glad that's on the table)
    Red Room Takeover no new info really, HARM challenges with special rewards it sounds like. MCU costumes coming, PhilT says don't worry about the word "inspired" they look amazing.
    Cosmic Cube, another new villain sector. Some additional story maybe? They said it'll have some narrative around it so that's my assumption. At a high level they want to ramp up the "super powered" aspects and make these new fights more exciting. First "I want to go into more details but I can't" by PhilT...ugh.
    Patrol mode. It sounds like more or less exactly what you expect. Can just go and patrol a map without being forced into the mission structure. If wasteland works out well they'll add other patrol areas. They'll give more details as each thing gets closer (makes sense).
    Wakanda, they're going to be leaning into comic book Klaw and not movie Klaw (Klaue in MCU). They say he's only one of new villains so they're stressing there'll be more than him. Gonna ramp up to larger threats for the Avengers.
    Omega-Level Threats (Cloning Lab, etc) they know they're super overdue. The plan is to make these available as soon as possible, but they're still fixing bugs with the game. Once they can start launching these they're probably going to be coming in fast since they have a few ready. They still want to release Cloning Lab even though it was meant to be "older" content by this point. No real updates or timeframes here, which sucks.
    Post-Level 50 progression. Focus on more customization and defining playstyle. Should be bigger things that are noticeable and not like subtle changes.
    Gear it sounds like they're going to add in ways to upgrade gear level so you can keep it around if you really like it. They also hinted at being able to reroll gear, specifically "if you want to be able to change something about a piece of gear you'll be able to do something about that". PhilT seems pretty excited about it. Not a lot of details yet but more than we've had. They're looking at other looters and trying to take directions from what they've done that worked. He said "yeah we should have probably done this better at launch". "Sooner rather than later" so sounds like before Wakanda, that's good.
    Matchmaking they're still taking a deep look into fixing remaining issues. They're basically looking at the system from the ground up, probably making some bigger changes to get this in a better spot.

    Roadmap discussion done. Things that came from questions:
    Patrol mode won't have a time limit.
    Omega-Level Threats are multiplayer only. Can't go in solo. There'll be matchmaking but will make it tougher without comms.

    Anyway, I think they're still being too vague on some things but I understand being cautious on giving out too many details and dates "too soon" so we'll see. If they can do weekly streams that are info-focused and have actual info to give out during them that's a good change. The gear/post-level 50 progression changes seem focused on actually changing the playstyle of characters, this is great on paper and the direction a lot of people wanted, so that's "good" but we'll see. So the changes seem good but the obvious question is "Is it too late?" and that's very possible, but I'll be checking out the content as it comes.

    Cruor
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Yeah, duplicate heroes just needs to be permanent, full stop.

    KyanilisDecatusRiokenn
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I will say I love the look and play on the series x, was waiting to jump back in when they upgraded and was glad I have. Kate definitely plays interesting, I wonder how Clint will play.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    Kyanilis
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Custom HARM room seems to be broken. Every time I tried it, I would get to wave 4/5 and then no one would ever spawn for the new wave. Tried 5 times and gave up.

    Also, it seems all the griping about the slower leveling was for naught.. I was worried about it, myself. But the leveling seems quite speedy. I'm 49 with Hawkeye after not all that much playtime.

  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Custom HARM room seems to be broken. Every time I tried it, I would get to wave 4/5 and then no one would ever spawn for the new wave. Tried 5 times and gave up.

    Also, it seems all the griping about the slower leveling was for naught.. I was worried about it, myself. But the leveling seems quite speedy. I'm 49 with Hawkeye after not all that much playtime.

    Yeah my kate is level 11 and I literally did one harm room and then one basic mission.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I'm a few missions into the new campaign and them not letting Lucky run along and fight with Hawkeye in missions is a real big missed opportunity.

    FFXIV: Agran Trask
    vamenKyanilis
  • KyanilisKyanilis Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    vamen wrote: »
    Custom HARM room seems to be broken. Every time I tried it, I would get to wave 4/5 and then no one would ever spawn for the new wave. Tried 5 times and gave up.

    Also, it seems all the griping about the slower leveling was for naught.. I was worried about it, myself. But the leveling seems quite speedy. I'm 49 with Hawkeye after not all that much playtime.

    Weirdly enough the XP change is nowhere to be found in the patch notes. So either they uhh, silently decided to not do it or yeah, it's like you said and it's just not a big deal at all. I know they had also stated that levels lower than 25 would actually come faster, so maybe in the end it kind of balances out anyway.
    H0b0man wrote: »
    I'm a few missions into the new campaign and them not letting Lucky run along and fight with Hawkeye in missions is a real big missed opportunity.

    However, he hangs out on the helicarrier during Avenger's Initiative and yes, you can pet the dog.

    Kyanilis on
    vamenBobble
  • KyanilisKyanilis Registered User regular
    So I absolutely like Kate's aesthetic more, teleporting around is just all sorts of my jam, but dang Clint is satisfying to use. His melee combos just feel better and I don't think I'll ever get tired of watching his ult zoom around the room hitting everything. I think they did a fairly good job at making sure the two characters feel mostly different when actually playing them and not JUST their heroics being different. I do wish they got a little more creative with arrow types, but they at least have some differences so that's nice. Having a second hero that can do team heals might come in handy too if they ever manage to get the OLTs in.

    Clint's story was serviceable, but pretty obvious it was meant to have less of a content gap on both sides of it. Glad there's at least another villain to fight for some variation, and another coming pretty soon. I also like the look of the new area a lot.

    Oh, also found my first cargo runner last night. Loot pinatas are always a good thing imo, so that's fantastic.

    Preacher
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah I found superficially they played similarly, but beyond that they definitely had their differences.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    Kyanilis
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I love Kate's assault heroic with the skill that turns her teleport into a blackhole that sucks enemies in, but Clint's AoE heal is so damn nice that he's probably the one that gets a spot on the main team.

    I still think Thor is the one that I most enjoy playing, though I think I might need to give him some more defensive stats. Did a villain sector last night and Taskmaster was hitting me for 40-50% of my total health at a time. Took a couple tries to get him down.

    FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    I love Kate's assault heroic with the skill that turns her teleport into a blackhole that sucks enemies in, but Clint's AoE heal is so damn nice that he's probably the one that gets a spot on the main team.

    I still think Thor is the one that I most enjoy playing, though I think I might need to give him some more defensive stats. Did a villain sector last night and Taskmaster was hitting me for 40-50% of my total health at a time. Took a couple tries to get him down.

    I really enjoyed Widow the most, she had the most effective kit for me as a player.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    I was going to post some overall thoughts after playing the new hawkeye stuff, but apparently the game just decides to freeze upon loading into the new mission, so looks like I cannot. (I'm on pc, doubt there's any solution other than to wait for the next patch, but if you've seen a solution let me know)

    I feel like patrol mode is a step in the right direction, but only if they think to add some varied content and maybe take some steps to improve the feeling of mobility through-out the levels. Defending a map against random events / supervillains just seems seems like a way better fit than the current mission format. Sorta like what they had in the old marvel heroes game, but y'know, hopefully a bit more structured.
    Granted these thoughts are likely heavily influenced by my current playthrough of the ps5 spiderman. Like if I could redesign the flow of the game from the ground up, it'd be set on the one map, with random events and stuff leading up to a supervillain fight, that then ends with another group taking over the city, division 2 style. Ugh, it's always so easy to critize though, I'm sure it'd have it's own host of issues i'm not seeing.

    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articles/marvels-avengers-will-be-a-little-more-destiny-like-due-to-upcoming-patrol-mode/1100-6489440/

    Basically sounds like they made a big map before and now people can play around in a sandbox version with different objectives aka the Patrol Zones from destiny style content. Something I'm actually shocked isn't already in the game?

    Didn't see it was mentioned above, my bad

    Local H Jay on
    Xbox - Local H Jay
    PS - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I'm all for variety in gameplay, and patrol mode has the potential to be a new way to engage with the game. But the fact that they're implementing it in the same ol' maps that have been in game since launch kills my enthusiasm for the new feature outright.

    Especially since, as I've said before, those maps were not built with certain characters in mind. Cap, for instance, really struggles on a lot of the maps with aerial jumping puzzles to move around various platforms, because his double jump just doesn't cut it. And his wall run might as well not even exist because the instances of places in their open-world maps where you can wall run are a number approaching 0. Cap also struggles on the big city maps with tall multi-story buildings, because he doesn't have a vertical traversal option. So a lot of the times you just have to "go the long way around." Basically what I'm saying is Cap gets totally dicked by poor level design and I'm salty about it.

    And anyway, I still 100% believe that the only way to truly salvage this game is to throw all of the old maps in the garbage -- all of them -- and redesign the game in such a way that the maps are smaller, more tightly focused on just one or two objectives a piece, remove all that wasted empty space, and be sure to include ways for all of the heroes to be able to successfully navigate the map. (I'm speaking specifically of the multiplayer post-game maps here, not the campaign story maps. The campaign was actually fine in terms of level design.)

    Lastly, I don't know this for sure, but given the fact that Black Panther's kit (in the comics and movies) is very similar to Cap, i.e. he's a melee brawler and has no special terrain traversal abilities, I think BP's mobility in the game will be nearly identical to that of Cap's, meaning wall runs and double jumps. And if that's true, BP is going to be just as frustrating to patrol with on the existing maps as Cap will be.

    In summary: I do not have any faith in the patrol mode being fun (for certain characters) based on current map designs. Or maybe it will suck for everybody equally, because they have no flippin' clue how to design interesting mission objectives. And even if they do manage to scrape together some interesting mission objectives to do while on patrol, it's still gonna be patrols fighting AIM Robots and Scientists.

    Lucascraft on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The lead developer for the game has departed the studio

    Xbox - Local H Jay
    PS - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Tachyon event is dumb, a bunch of quests with complete 5 missions while playing as the same hero as another player.

    games population has nosedived and getting a group seems impossible right now even without the additional requirement.

    Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The community around the game seems more hyped by the (paid dlc) MCU skins to notice or care about most of the issues it seems.

    Xbox - Local H Jay
    PS - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Kind of surprised SE didn't try and get it on gamepass like outriders.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Kind of surprised SE didn't try and get it on gamepass like outriders.

    Prob can't with the PS Exclusive deal

    Xbox - Local H Jay
    PS - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Kind of surprised SE didn't try and get it on gamepass like outriders.
    MS probably only wants good games on gamepass

    boom!

    I have had literally 1 mission left of the SP campaign for avengers left since basically launch and I still haven't bothered to go back and finish it

    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Nice, good fit

    Xbox - Local H Jay
    PS - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
    BlackDragon480
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Trailer is out for the Avengers: War of Wakanda DLC.

    The trailer is about 98% cutscene and shows practically no gameplay. Which is mighty concerning. But even still, I can't help but feel a bit hyped, knowing full well that I am extremely likely to be disappointed.

  • KyanilisKyanilis Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Trailer is out for the Avengers: War of Wakanda DLC.

    The trailer is about 98% cutscene and shows practically no gameplay. Which is mighty concerning. But even still, I can't help but feel a bit hyped, knowing full well that I am extremely likely to be disappointed.


    They've also announced it's out in August, which is somewhat earlier than I expected. I'm not too concerned about releasing gameplay, we know how the game plays and they'll do deep dives as the date comes closer, just like they've done with every other piece of content. The campaign, at least, looks great! I'm glad they're adding enemy types etc though, and multiple villains!

    But even as someone who generally enjoys that game I'm a little worried it's not going to be as long as most people expect annnd the fact that they still haven't started releasing Omega Level Threats is still concerning. The game is steadily getting better, but if the endgame is the same after Wakanda I'm not sure anyone who comes back/gets in for it will stick around. We still have a couple months and they're apparently real close to getting those figured out, but they've also been "close" for awhile so...

  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The really need a 2022 roadmap announcement, and since it didn't get one I'm assuming it's dead after the roadmap we have is finished

    Xbox - Local H Jay
    PS - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
    BlackDragon480
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue Registered User regular
    The really need a 2022 roadmap announcement, and since it didn't get one I'm assuming it's dead after the roadmap we have is finished

    I have a feeling that the Wakanda expansion is going to be their attempt at a make-good on the game. It's probably going to be a wholly separate, basically single-player campaign as some kind of "This is what we could/should have made originally", and it's going to be free so they can reach as many people as possible to garner some goodwill and keep interest (and show SE that this is what people want, not that shitty Live Service-lite crap)

    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • KyanilisKyanilis Registered User regular
    The really need a 2022 roadmap announcement, and since it didn't get one I'm assuming it's dead after the roadmap we have is finished

    I don't know why they would announce that during this event which is clearly meant to showcase up to the Wakanda expansion.

    I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's not that strange they haven't shown after Wakanda yet. Maybe there's a big reveal in it they don't want to hint at yet? Mostly, I think they're trying to use Wakanda to pull people back in. If it doesn't succeed then the game is probably in danger, but they almost certainly have content planned for post Wakanda. Plus they still have Spider-Man to put in the game so there's gotta be something coming after.

    Fencingsax
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Black Panther has been leaked since the games launch so it feels like old news even before they officially announced it. I know they had to delay it because of stuff happening, but yeah it feels like they should have confirmed "this game has more content coming" instead of stuff we already knew about.

    Xbox - Local H Jay
    PS - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    *snip*
    They've also announced it's out in August, which is somewhat earlier than I expected. I'm not too concerned about releasing gameplay, we know how the game plays.

    I guess I should have been a bit more specific in my previous comment. When I say I want to see gameplay, what I actually meant is this:

    1) I want to see movesets and gameplay for Black Panther
    2) I want to see new enemies and enemy variety
    3) I want to see new maps and locales
    4) I want to see new objectives and new gameplay that is fun and different from what already exists
    5) I want proof that this isn't going to be more AIM Robots and AIM Scientists (or reskins of AIM Robots and Scientists) and the same shitty huge maps that only work for characters who can fly and are a pain in the ass for everyone else.

  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Have the teen released the PlayStation Spider-Man content yet?

    -Loki- on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Have the teen released the PlayStation Spider-Man content yet?

    They haven't said anything other than it's coming. Probably wouldn't go on the roadmap because it would piss people off badly.

    Xbox - Local H Jay
    PS - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Have the teen released the PlayStation Spider-Man content yet?

    They haven't said anything other than it's coming. Probably wouldn't go on the roadmap because it would piss people off badly.

    Kind of rightfully since the game came out without much to do at endgame working on a console exclusive dlc would be insulting. On par for SE don't get me wrong, but insulting.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
Sign In or Register to comment.