As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ultima: [chat] of the Avatar

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    slJoGug.jpg

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    oh and I really enjoyed the frequent-but-not-perfect roleplaying in Tyranny

Since the game frequently has no "good option", it forced me to think "hmm, I'm playing as a diplomat, a skilled and knowledgeable mage who escaped the fascist railroading by using a legal technicality, so I'm going to play this way" (this is actually my character's background, selected during character creation)

And holy fucking shit it worked
    I sided with the rebellion to solve the edict, made them swear fealty to me, and when asked to explain my actions I said "My orders were to end the rebellion by eliminating all forces not loyal to Kyros in Ascension hall, since the traitors pledged fealty to me, and I am a servant of Kyros, I fulfilled the edict to the letter. Since the law states that Kyros' edicts are absolute, and I fulfilled the edict to the letter, I cannot have done anything wrong"

And Tunaan's like "well, fuck me"

Obsidian made a real attempt, it doesn't always work out right, but when it does it's really satisfying

Obsidian is like BioWare in that they're always like "You Tried" for me

even when they misstep or they fail, I always appreciate their efforts

I hate Tyranny's gameplay so goddamn much I can't really enjoy it, which is a shame because from a roleplaying and story perspective it sounds great

but I start playing it and the combat makes my whole fucking brain rebel, even on the easiest difficulty possible

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    4fe7a0dc0bd4738956efa4030a6c1b9d.gif

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Toad/Doki Doki Toad looks like he fucks

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    on the easiest difficulty you pretty much just set the AI how you want and manage gear and your peoples will win on their own right?

I wish someone would take Obsidian's developers, and sit them down in front of a copy of Divinity: Original sin or X-COM 2 and keep saying "Do you see? Do you see?" like the killer from Silence of the Lambs until they relent and do combat that way

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    You know what the best RPG was?

Witcher 3.

Honestly... The Witcher 3 kind of fell flat for me.

The characters and the dialogue and the world were all great, but you could really see the seams of "this is a game" way too much, or maybe it was just too noticeable *because* it was otherwise a pretty living world.

Combat generally felt like a less interesting Soulslike; every enemy had one, maybe two patterns and a certain number of hits they'd take in a chain before escape and punish if you went further. The overload of quests very rapidly felt kinda useless because you would *very* rapidly overlevel and then completing them was (mechanically) useless, even with the interesting story. The Places of Power and other gatherables, while more interesting than normal for an open world game, still felt like pure mechanical boosts. Gwent was literally a side RPG progression attached to your RPG progression.

I didn't dislike it but one day after cutting through the fourth pack of: three humans you could hit three times in a row and one captain you could hit once following a dodge or block, I just put it down to play something else and never got motivated enough to pick it up again.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    camwhoring
    S63Ld1o.png

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Pony wrote: »
    oh and I really enjoyed the frequent-but-not-perfect roleplaying in Tyranny

Since the game frequently has no "good option", it forced me to think "hmm, I'm playing as a diplomat, a skilled and knowledgeable mage who escaped the fascist railroading by using a legal technicality, so I'm going to play this way" (this is actually my character's background, selected during character creation)

And holy fucking shit it worked
    I sided with the rebellion to solve the edict, made them swear fealty to me, and when asked to explain my actions I said "My orders were to end the rebellion by eliminating all forces not loyal to Kyros in Ascension hall, since the traitors pledged fealty to me, and I am a servant of Kyros, I fulfilled the edict to the letter. Since the law states that Kyros' edicts are absolute, and I fulfilled the edict to the letter, I cannot have done anything wrong"

And Tunaan's like "well, fuck me"

Obsidian made a real attempt, it doesn't always work out right, but when it does it's really satisfying

Obsidian is like BioWare in that they're always like "You Tried" for me

even when they misstep or they fail, I always appreciate their efforts

I hate Tyranny's gameplay so goddamn much I can't really enjoy it, which is a shame because from a roleplaying and story perspective it sounds great

but I start playing it and the combat makes my whole fucking brain rebel, even on the easiest difficulty possible

I made it probably longer than you before succumbing to the same thing and can confirm, it's great and unique and the gameplay is so much un-fun

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Scarlet Chorus is the best

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    If Tyranny had even ancient outdated turn based combat it would be far better

although I think DA:O's RTWP is okay? Idk

After playing divinity original sin RTWP games can fuck a duck

override367 on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Hullo

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d6+4 For How Many Tubs I should Eat and Feel Bad About

How Many Tubs I should Eat and Feel Bad About:
    1d6+4 8 [1d6=4]

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I don't mind RTWP but fuuuck Divinity's whole turn based thing is so good.

• Options
    on the easiest difficulty you pretty much just set the AI how you want and manage gear and your peoples will win on their own right?

I wish someone would take Obsidian's developers, and sit them down in front of a copy of Divinity: Original sin or X-COM 2 and keep saying "Do you see? Do you see?" like the killer from Silence of the Lambs until they relent and do combat that way

No pod mechanics, please.

I don't know that pods are necessarily worse than real time with pause, but I truly, with all my heart believe that the pod mechanic is awful. It's only in the game because the developers needed to strike a balance between having these big maps with a dozen enemies that are thoroughly lethal, and not actually killing you randomly because you got overwhelmed by sniper fire. And they only needed to do that because they had to be like the original XCom, but y'know, without the enemies that could kill half your squad on turn 2 with a guided bomb from out of sight.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I don't mind RTWP but fuuuck Divinity's whole turn based thing is so good.

when you set up a combo with a number of spells it's so good

I can't wait for divinity 2

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the gameplay of Tyranny.

Mind you I console cheated like a motherfucker.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    milski wrote: »

I don't know that pods are necessarily worse than real time with pause, but I truly, with all my heart believe that the pod mechanic is awful. It's only in the game because the developers needed to strike a balance between having these big maps with a dozen enemies that are thoroughly lethal, and not actually killing you randomly because you got overwhelmed by sniper fire. And they only needed to do that because they had to be like the original XCom, but y'know, without the enemies that could kill half your squad on turn 2 with a guided bomb from out of sight.

I'm not talking about the pods I'm talking explicitly about the turn based combat system, line of sight, abilities with x turns cooldowns, etc

It's actually amazing to me so many games either explicitly D&D games or in the spirit of D&D use real time with pause given that D&D is a turn based game!

If you're going to make a game real time, make it play like Diablo, if you're giving me a whole team to control, give me turn based (either whole team or using some kind of initiative system, either way)

override367 on
  • Options
    Divinity Original Sin's combat was genuinely fun

RTWP is basically garbage imho, I have never played a game where I found it fun.

• Options
    Divinity's combat was mucho fun

the writing... let's not talk about the writing.

But I got stuck because the combat is very not mucho fun when you can't do anything, you're just not leveled enough, and there is nowhere to go to get more xp so maybe there's something hidden somewhere and aaaarh fuck this

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    One other annoying thing Obsidian has: Teasing you with power far beyond what's in the game.

I understand this is kind of a throwback to the D&D era, but implying higher levels of spells than you can get even with a completionist runthrough in PoE, or having a fucking MASSIVE amount of sigils for spell mixing in Tyranny even though you can maybe toss two on an endgame spell if your character shot Lore up at every opportunity, is really annoying.

If you show me the opportunity to theoretically have a double range, fastcast, triple-shot, low-cooldown, double damage, with extra burn damage, interrupting, high-accuracy, fatter-than-usual sphere of fiery death, and then you let me pick maybe a medium range interrupting tiny sphere of fiery death, I'm gonna be disappointed.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milski wrote: »

I'm not talking about the pods I'm talking explicitly about the turn based combat system, line of sight, abilities with x turns cooldowns, etc

It's actually amazing to me so many games either explicitly D&D games or in the spirit of D&D use real time with pause given that D&D is a turn based game!

If you're going to make a game real time, make it play like Diablo, if you're giving me a whole team to control, give me turn based (either whole team or using some kind of initiative system, either way)

Yeah, that's agreeable.

But pods man. Fuck pods.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Divinity Original Sin plot and story in-depth review

(warning contains spoilers):

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Man the Hulk is such a great character. I wish they'd give Ruffalo a stand alone movie.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    I played Divinity coop and my friend instinctively skipped all the story shit, it was a good call

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Quarterly self appraisal of America as a nation and ourselves collectively as Americans are due.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    tumblr_o6e6jwbrq11qzk2apo1_540.jpg

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    The Americans, via Sabotage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqBxUgqe8eQ

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Fuck Pods is my upcoming IndieGoGo campaign

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
  • Options
    like a keurig, but for fucking

• Options
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    Quarterly self appraisal of America as a nation and ourselves collectively as Americans are due.

latest?cb=20130329201546

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Huh

I disliked Divinity's combat

Super vanilla and uninteresting for me

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    bbqcpv80tgi0.png

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I did the tutorial in this Fire Emblem mobile game and it was like OKAY TIME TO DOWNLOAD 300 MORE MB

Great. Doing great Nintendo.

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Today has been chock-full of Bleric Whimsy™ and I'm excited to write it up for you guys but I'm gonna wait for the thread to turn over first

suffice to say EXCELLENT DAY!

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Question 1 Are you proud to be an American?
    Question 2 if you could draw a two lines throw America, and everything between those two lines would disappear, where would you draw them?
    Question 3 If America were made of cheese, would you eat it?

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Mankind Divided is $18 on Steam. That's the magic price for me but I hear it was poorly optimized for PCs. How does it run now?

Improved? Not improved? It's already perfect?

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    kbcfj7scu1qv.png

I wanted to be real artsy and have a bunch of different fields of vision, but then realized I'm not good at drawing.

Why do you have a cup of Pinecone cream?

"Blameless Cleric"

*licks lips* :cool:

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    Nobody tell BC about our art contest no fair

This discussion has been closed.