Options

The [House] thread and the people who live in them.

19495969798100»

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    The cheaters aren't really dangerous necessarily, just that they're not properly grounded so a surge could kill the device you've got hooked up.

There's a really good chance the grounding isn't done right in the outlet anyways. Hell, even today the grounding is hit or miss if it's done right, so the third prong probably does nothing. When my dad fixed up HUD houses he showed me once where the they grounded it to neutral. If your house wasn't built after the 80s, even if it has 3 prongs, there's a good chance the person just changed the receptacle instead of actually fixing the wiring.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    [
    mxmarks wrote: »
    So I just realized I'm thinking about things entirely wrong with my re-connection of my severed power cord.

The end of the cord leads to this transformer.
    1361-gt-honeywell-16-5vac-40va-plug-in-power-transformer-for-vista-series-control-panels-14.png

Rather than trying to re-attach the power cable where I cut it...isnt it easier for me to have simply shortened the cord, and attach the *new* ends to the transformer here, under the screws?

It is amazing how slow and stupid you feel after years of renting makes you default to "guess Ill just call the landlord"

My security system has a similar plug, albeit newer. I assumed it was so when someone ripped out the panel to disarm, the power could be replaced easier.

Jokes on them, that will just cause the battery to trigger the alarm.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    It worked!! Power has been restored...

Looking closer, two of the wires (black and white) go to those screws. Tracing the wire back to the wall, a small slit is in it that blue and green pop out of, and it goes into the old phone jack in the baseboard...??

I assume that's how the alarm tells someone it's going off, but we don't have landline service so I'm not sure it's doing anything.

Shortening the cable by about a foot means I have to rearrange some things in the basement so it can reach a new plug, but hey - I fixed something in my home!

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    *sniff* *sniff* Do you smell smoke?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    In just over 2 weeks I’m driving up to Washington with my dad, picking up the keys to the house, leaving my car there, then flying back the next day to wrap up stuff here before driving back up the next Monday.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Work starts on the roof on Monday so I spent last night getting as much stuff as I could down from the loft. I filled all available space in the spare bedroom with stuff and there's still another room's worth waiting under sheets around the hatch so it looks like I'll have to stand the bed up to fit the rest in.

I took some time to do some aspirational planning and managed to find a place where the L-shaped sofa from the front room could go in the future Tree House. Spare lining paper makes for a pretty good template. The sofa is the wrong way round for our front room so it's currently split into two and it looks a bit odd so we'll have to replace it at some point. It's turned out quite well because I can use that support pillar to run wires down for electricity and some cat6 to hook up my PC. To the left of this is the space I've designated as my work area as that's got a nice flat wall on the other side for my desk and, more importantly, space for a radiator.

It doesn't look like much in the picture, but the longer side of the sofa is 2.8m whilst the other is 2.3m. It's pretty cavernous up there.

TQb9icSl.jpg

So now that I know it fits all I need to do is:
    Replace the roof
    Clean up and remove all trace of the horsehair cement that's currently covering everything up there
    Insulate the rafters
    Get a proper electricity supply up and wire in sockets and lights
    Get a plumber in to extend the upstairs heating loop to include a couple of radiators up there
    Have a staircase cut through the spare bedroom

So I'm looking at about a 2020 finish, I think.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Didn't want to post on International Women's Day, but I instaleld a pair of anti-knockers for the washer to stop the water hammer:
    1hipjimbvwdm.jpg

Overall the installers did a good job, but man, they really screwed down the connector hoses; had to use a wrench to get them off. I guess less water leaks are better than more, but just a good hand-tighten would have been fine.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Do they work pretty well? I've been thinking about getting a set myself. I've heard my pipes thumping sometimes.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Didn't want to post on International Women's Day, but I instaleld a pair of anti-knockers for the washer to stop the water hammer:
    1hipjimbvwdm.jpg

Overall the installers did a good job, but man, they really screwed down the connector hoses; had to use a wrench to get them off. I guess less water leaks are better than more, but just a good hand-tighten would have been fine.

Is this a joke about not wanting to be anti-knocker on women's day?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    something something knockers?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »
    1hipjimbvwdm.jpg

Is this a joke about not wanting to be anti-knocker on women's day?

Yeah, Probably something that needed another reviewer. Please carry on...

Will do a laundry lead later to try them out, didn't want to to be out in case they leaked.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Ugh, the power is out across most of my suburb. It's been out for about 8 hours now, and the power utility website outage tracker says they have no idea when it will be fixed. Hopefully complaining about it will cause it to come back on soon, because that almost always happens with me.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Did a lot of work with my seedlings today. I transferred most of my sunflowers from pots to a space in the yard. Once I had the empty pots, I transferred my indoor watermelon seedlings to pots and put them outdoors. I only have 6 sunflowers left to plant, and I kept trying to go out there and put them in the ground, but a wandering mud dauber just would not leave me alone, and I know they're not aggressive but wasps scare me, even good ones like mud daubers. My indoor planting tray now has mostly grape tomatoes with just 3 or 4 or the watermelon seedlings left.

Here's the indoor seedlings before I potted any of the watermelon:
    8VrDszJ.jpg

My first two rows of sunflowers (I added a third row after I took this pic)
    F5hjDmz.jpg

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I managed to plant the rest of the sunflowers after dark. I did end up composting one of my potted sunflowers because it was growing weirdly and I felt I had enough in the ground.
    6e8uw6O.jpg

Because of that I was able to transfer the rest of the watermelon to pots. Though I did decide to compost two of those as well, because 14 watermelon plants is already more than I'll probably have room for.
    xIgVn7p.jpg

And here's the indoor tray after all that. Grape tomatoes are all that's in here, and they're still far too small to put outdoors yet. You'll see there's a black heating mat under this tray. I added that after I was having some problems getting the tomato seeds germinated initially.
    XILjL33.jpg

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Aww yiss, power's back on! Finally I can open the fridge...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Is a water hammer really something that needs to be fixed? Or is it just a noisy nuisance? I always thought it was something that happened everywhere and isn't a big deal, but I never knew there was a fix for it.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    depends on the plumbing and pressure. as pipes get old that shockwave can crack old solder or plastic.

• Options
    Is a water hammer really something that needs to be fixed? Or is it just a noisy nuisance? I always thought it was something that happened everywhere and isn't a big deal, but I never knew there was a fix for it.

Copper work hardens and gets brittle. Water hammer can and will split your pipes, and depending on how bad it is, how old your pipes are, and the quality of the piping originally (there's four different grades of copper water pipe), it might not take very long.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Yeah we're in an older home from the 50s and it's pretty noticable; like I can hear it from the first floor or can visablely see the pipes shake.
    LG washers are known for being worse than other comparable models so the $20 seemed worthwhile.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Yeah we're in an older home from the 50s and it's pretty noticable; like I can hear it from the first floor or can visablely see the pipes shake.
    LG washers are known for being worse than other comparable models so the $20 seemed worthwhile.

Yea it's cheap piece of mind. Our house is from the 40s but even though the plumbing has been re-done it's still probably at least 30 years old at this point.

• Options
    Yeah the small expense is worth it even if it's just a noise nuisance.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Fun fact: in larger buildings like schools with bigger internal mains, water hammer can blow faucets off.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Fun fact: in larger buildings like schools with bigger internal mains, water hammer can blow faucets off.

No they don't! They cause way more damage than that.

One fun story I know is about my old professor who was building (I think) a hospital, and one requirements was that the water system needed to be able to have all the mains turned off at the same time. Due to the water hammer in the system, it was a really difficult problem, so the solution was to remove the problem by replacing all of the shutoff valves with multiple turn valves, turning a tap off slowly like that removes the problem. Problem solved and my professor moved onto other problems.

Only the contractor looked at the specifications, and thought, gee, that's a lot of turns, I'ma going to replace that valve with a quarter turn, that will save a bunch of time.

When test day came they blew the water pump used to get the water up to the higher level through a concrete wall and about 100meters down the road.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Scaffolders have been here since 8am and have put up basically a 1-storey ring around the house before going home. The roofer has also been to drop off a load of treated batons ready to do the outhouse roof and they're sat in the garden.

I was in the loft earlier this morning using daylight to check that I hadn't missed anything and found 3 more leaks in the roof, so it's definitely time for this to happen.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Spent the day yesterday doing electrical work in the work bench area. Replaced one overhead fixture that was a single bulb with a 3-bulb fixture. About that time is when my help (dad) arrived and we put in a few new electrical outlets. One of them for plugging the new overhead lights into. There are two of them and one is over the workbench and the other over the toolbox. It is way brighter down there now. My wife joked that I can't have those lights on at night because we're too close to the airport and she doesn't want a plane in our backyard.

This was all in the basement and even using a 1/2 inch drill and a tapcon bit; drilling into concrete block is a pain in the ass. However we had to secure the outlet box and the conduit pipe somehow. We eventually got it but I hope I don't have to do much of that again.

Later this week or next weekend we'll start installing the extra lighting in what is going to become the band practice room.

By the time I'm done installing lighting in this house there will be no place for the darkness to hide. Not even outside!

• Options
    Hydraulics: not to be fucked with!

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    House thread, my kitchen is located on the opposite side of the house from where the water comes in from the street. Sometimes, if I haven't used the kitchen sink in several hours, when I first turn the tap on the water will flow out with extra force for two seconds or so before returning to its normal level. The same can happen with the fridge water line, either through the in-door water access, or when the ice maker turns on.

I assume that this is an indicator that, on occasion, there is extra water pressure on this end of the house. I'm aware that in some instances plumbers will put in some kind of regulator (probably not using the right term here) to "even out" water pressure for parts of a house that are further away from the source. Does this all sound normal?

This discussion has been closed.