Options

The [House] thread and the people who live in them.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    So. My unfinished basement. With no dry wall skills to my name. Should I hire someone to do the perimeter drywall? Or attempt it myself? I just want to get the plastic holding the insulation closed up.

how easily are you annoyed at things?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    So. My unfinished basement. With no dry wall skills to my name. Should I hire someone to do the perimeter drywall? Or attempt it myself? I just want to get the plastic holding the insulation closed up.

Hanging drywall is going to take at least two people. It's not complicated, but I think it would be far quicker to learn if you can just have someone there to show you what to do. For tools, do you have sawhorses, 8+ foot straight edge, utility knife, electric drill with plenty of bits (and I'd recommend one of those drill extensions that has the sliding collar to hold the screw on the bit to put them in one-handed), putty knife, drywall sanding block preferably with vaccum attachment, shopvac for the sanding, ladder, and dust masks? You didn't mention ceiling, but doing that you want to either rent or build some (2x4 wood) braces to hold the drywall in place too.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Irrigation system repaired and back on line.

Now to get quotes for floor removal and install, taking out a wall and replacing a sink.

Wooo. Home ownership.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options

Hanging drywall is going to take at least two people. It's not complicated, but I think it would be far quicker to learn if you can just have someone there to show you what to do. For tools, do you have sawhorses, 8+ foot straight edge, utility knife, electric drill with plenty of bits (and I'd recommend one of those drill extensions that has the sliding collar to hold the screw on the bit to put them in one-handed), putty knife, drywall sanding block preferably with vaccum attachment, shopvac for the sanding, ladder, and dust masks? You didn't mention ceiling, but doing that you want to either rent or build some (2x4 wood) braces to hold the drywall in place too.

You can do it solo, rent a drywall jack for sure for ceiling work.

You can install it solo on walls with cleats, too.

Drywall work is ugh though. Easy, but time consuming and tiring (and often annoying).

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

You can do it solo, rent a drywall jack for sure for ceiling work.

You can install it solo on walls with cleats, too.

Drywall work is ugh though. Easy, but time consuming and tiring (and often annoying).

Well, yes, you can do it solo, but it's way more difficult and frustrating and that's if you're only working with 4x8 thin stuff. Thicker sheets are a lot heavier and harder to move around and 12' sheets risk snapping in half when carried by a single person. I certainly wouldn't recommend a beginner trying to do it alone.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    My cherry blossom trees are getting ready! I'm hoping for a way better showing than last year, as they've had a full growing season. The big one grew about three feet in height and six in width so I am really looking forward to maybe ten days of them being really pretty before they lapse into regular boring tree mode for seven months.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    You're in luck @mxmarks, fixing broken cables (E: power cables anyways) is ezpz. Make sure they're powered off, and make sure this isn't in-wall cable you're trying to fix (you might need a junction box for local code compliance).

Here's a decent video on how to fix cut cables:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnncXVpoL3g

Thank you for this!!!

Looking into the cable I cut - it seems like there's 4 seperate wires in there (green, red, black, white) inside the main coating. I'm assuming following the similar method above will help me put it all back together. The "honey...ummmmmmmmmmmm...so guess what I did" conversation was a fun one.

Painting though went well and I'll post pics tonight or tomorrow. It's amazing how much it changes the whole feel. Went with a lighter blue in the basement, and we're doing the living room gray. Also hanging some shelves in the kitchen - and the new bedframe should be in tomorrow so we can finally move into our bedroom and out of the guest room.

Also yesterday a little kid next door kicked a ball over my fence and asked for it back, and it was right then that I truly felt like a homeowner.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Thanks for the suggestions. I get easily annoyed so I may price it out having someone else do it. I have helped hold drywall before but that was years ago. I have a friend that would probably help but I need to find out his experience with drywall hanging.

Thanks for the help. Being old, fat and out of shape also makes me warey of doing it myself.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    mxmarks wrote: »
    You're in luck @mxmarks, fixing broken cables (E: power cables anyways) is ezpz. Make sure they're powered off, and make sure this isn't in-wall cable you're trying to fix (you might need a junction box for local code compliance).

Thank you for this!!!

Looking into the cable I cut - it seems like there's 4 seperate wires in there (green, red, black, white) inside the main coating. I'm assuming following the similar method above will help me put it all back together. The "honey...ummmmmmmmmmmm...so guess what I did" conversation was a fun one.

Painting though went well and I'll post pics tonight or tomorrow. It's amazing how much it changes the whole feel. Went with a lighter blue in the basement, and we're doing the living room gray. Also hanging some shelves in the kitchen - and the new bedframe should be in tomorrow so we can finally move into our bedroom and out of the guest room.

Also yesterday a little kid next door kicked a ball over my fence and asked for it back, and it was right then that I truly felt like a homeowner.

Theoretically it should work.

That sounds like some sort of romex though.

Does it look like this? :
    268px-Tps-4core.png

bowen on
  • Options
    mxmarks wrote: »

Thank you for this!!!

Theoretically it should work.

That sounds like some sort of romex though.

Does it look like this? :
    268px-Tps-4core.png

yeah pretty much. The main cable coating isn't divided up into the tubes like that though - it looks like one thick cable (like coax, hence the confusion and cutting), and then inside looks like that picture with 4 bundled together.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    It probably won't hurt to try (just make sure everything is powered down and double check that).

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I saw a house today and I love it! I am planning on going on a second showing with someone who will hopefully not point out some fatal flaw and crush my dreams.

It's in a great location, close to work, close to downtown, it has a driveway (not all houses in the downtown area do), a wood fireplace, three bedrooms, one and a half bathrooms, a backyard with a deck and a wired shed, a beautiful kitchen and separate dining room. The only thing it needs is a dishwasher and a new showerhead.

I have to cross my fingers that there isn't something nasty in the walls or in the roof because I really want to buy this house.

Taya on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    So what are peoples' thoughts on upgrading furniture? I don't own a single piece of "I'm an adult now" furniture and I'd really like to change that at my next place, at least in part. There is no timeline for me on when I will eventually settle into a house, or even necessarily stay in the same apartment for 5+ years, so I'm not looking to get anything that is going to last me for the next 20 or anything...but at the same time, I really don't want to have to keep cycling through "the cheapest non-garbage furniture I can find" every 4-5 years just because I'm still pretty...nomadic.

AM I ALLOWED TO DO THIS

I am historically not used to spending money on non-essentials or "this isn't purely utilitarian" things, and so it feels like if I allow myself some nicer pieces of furniture before I'm living in a more permanent abode, it's like I'm making horrible and reckless financial choices...even if I can absolutely afford the things, and would want to keep these nicer things for as long as possible.

Please talk me out of this mentality. I want a nice thing. Maybe three.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Couch, bed, end tables are where I put the dollar dollar bills. Table is meh, unless you are hosting like grand banquets, D&D night, or something.

Wall mount your tv so you can get a mid level entertainment center maybe?

My only issue with buying high end stuff is the same, I hate carting it around apartments even, so I usually chuck all my furniture out if I can't fit it in the moving truck (it's usually falling apart at that point anyways).

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Having a nice piece of furniture that is yours and is well made is the rad and if you can afford it there is no real reason not to

Plus you can donate your old stuff which is always good

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    So what are peoples' thoughts on upgrading furniture? I don't own a single piece of "I'm an adult now" furniture and I'd really like to change that at my next place, at least in part. There is no timeline for me on when I will eventually settle into a house, or even necessarily stay in the same apartment for 5+ years, so I'm not looking to get anything that is going to last me for the next 20 or anything...but at the same time, I really don't want to have to keep cycling through "the cheapest non-garbage furniture I can find" every 4-5 years just because I'm still pretty...nomadic.

AM I ALLOWED TO DO THIS

I am historically not used to spending money on non-essentials or "this isn't purely utilitarian" things, and so it feels like if I allow myself some nicer pieces of furniture before I'm living in a more permanent abode, it's like I'm making horrible and reckless financial choices...even if I can absolutely afford the things, and would want to keep these nicer things for as long as possible.

Find people who have houses and befriend them. I've scored nice sofas and chairs, modern kitchen appliances and a washer. All with only a handful of years of use and still looking almost new, at probably 30% of full price, if I had to pay anything at all. Middle class folks with a case of keeping up with the Joneses are a treasure trove of good shit.

Heck my brother and sister in law regularly redecorate parts of their house, and offer us the old stuff, and it's barely used! It's crazy, but if they want to spend the money I'm all for being a few years behind the style.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

AM I ALLOWED TO DO THIS

I'm not going to try to talk you out of it, because it's up to you whether you want to be around nicer furniture or not.

The only thing I'll say is, instead of buying furniture new, set up a Craigslist alert and get something second hand (unless you're looking for something with cushions, a couch or a chair, because I don't trust those second hand). I have an alert set up for my favorite furniture brand, Michael Amini/AICO (I have a separate alert for both names of the brand, since some people only use one or the other when listing). That furniture is super high quality luxury hardwood, so nothing is really lost in quality by getting it second hand you just get some scratches you can buff out if you care about them (I have cats so I don't care about the scratches). You can add alerts for a brand you research and like, or you can just make a keyword for a piece you're looking for - wood table, coffee table, cherry dresser, or what have you.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Another nice thing about second hand is you can refinish it if you want to, then it *really* feels like yours.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Couch, bed, end tables are where I put the dollar dollar bills. Table is meh, unless you are hosting like grand banquets, D&D night, or something.

My only issue with buying high end stuff is the same, I hate carting it around apartments even, so I usually chuck all my furniture out if I can't fit it in the moving truck (it's usually falling apart at that point anyways).

So yeah, basically the pieces of furniture I was thinking of getting "nice" versions of were exactly those, basically....a couch, a bed, and maybe a dresser (my current dresser is a medium sized, 7 year old IKEA thing that got recalled a few months ago!! This actually worked out well for me because I was ready to toss it anyhow, and they offer a refund and free removal service, which I've scheduled. If anybody else owns a MALM dresser and has young kids, you should look into replacing it as well).

For various Reasons I've been sleeping on a couch for the past ~3 years (they're comfortable couches! But....they're couches) so a real mattress and a real bed frame are the things I'm most excited about getting, by far.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    My bed is a king sized bed mooched from a hotel.. No stains and a fresh, waterproof mattress cover.. But I should probably get a new top mattress at least.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    MALMs are fine, as long as you attach them to the wall with the brackets that stop them tipping over like you're supposed to. The problem was that a bunch of them were shipped without the bracket hardware.

• Options

So yeah, basically the pieces of furniture I was thinking of getting "nice" versions of were exactly those, basically....a couch, a bed, and maybe a dresser (my current dresser is a medium sized, 7 year old IKEA thing that got recalled a few months ago!! This actually worked out well for me because I was ready to toss it anyhow, and they offer a refund and free removal service, which I've scheduled. If anybody else owns a MALM dresser and has young kids, you should look into replacing it as well).

For various Reasons I've been sleeping on a couch for the past ~3 years (they're comfortable couches! But....they're couches) so a real mattress and a real bed frame are the things I'm most excited about getting, by far.

Like, on the couch itself or it was a sofa bed sort of thing? I remember doing that in my teen years with my futon, I'd just leave it in the couch position and toss my sleeping bag on it.

Get one of those beds with the 18 million things for storage.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    If you want a good bedframe that is also easily moveable, and you don't have opinions about head/foot boards, I have this, and it's great. It's really stable and sturdy, but easy to assemble/disassemble. It doesn't slide around, leaving your pillows to slip behind the bed like the lighter springout frames do, either.
    metal bed frame majobber

It's also a decent price, so you can spend a little more on a good mattress that you like.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    As I wait for wire strippers to repair my bonehead mistake, here's what caused it - new paint in the basement. I like it!
    Basement before:zzpdj4vo74xg.jpg

Basement After:
    zbexmzjm9u0v.jpg
    j6pp8bwjp4d1.jpg

While I've been doing that my wife is painting the living room, which is looking nicer as well:
    living room before:
    rfgrvd6snmgk.jpg

After:
    bip6qc7ukd7v.jpg

We also finished the bedframe yesterday for our bedroom so tonight is starting the migration up there I think. It's crazy how now basically every week is just me making a list of what I want to get done over the weekend, and then it all goes by in a blur as I try to do as much as I can.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    https://m.ikea.com/us/en/stores/houston/

I know people often mock IKEA, but I've been particularly happy with their children's beds. Since the kids are likely to outgrow them quick, portability and affordability are important. Perhaps that might work for your situation @NightDragon .

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    I still wish I had an ikea up in Syracuse.

I need something that's like, in between target/walmart $10 furniture and half my savings account for furniture.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    plumbers are here

completely gutting the upstairs bathroom which was leaking all over

I want to note that this was all constructed before we moved in and was an existing condition.

the 'wall' behind the linen cabinet is 'constructed' from cardboard and duct tape ....

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    plumbers are here

completely gutting the upstairs bathroom which was leaking all over

I want to note that this was all constructed before we moved in and was an existing condition.

the 'wall' behind the linen cabinet is 'constructed' from cardboard and duct tape ....

what the fuck is wrong with some people

• Options
    edited March 2018
    I have heard the soft exclamation 'what the fuck?' no less than 57 times

edit: also, the breaker that turns off the light/fan/medicine cabinet in the bathroom also turns off the outlets in the left side of the basement

:rotate:

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Nothing necssarily wrong with that, but you wouldn't expect it.... assuming the bathroom is on GFCI still.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Nothing necssarily wrong with that, but you wouldn't expect it.... assuming the bathroom is on GFCI still.

presumably it is

this house is like the joker. expect the unexpected.

edit: I have been informed that almost nothing is nailed or screwed in, but instead about 12-20 gallons of liquid nails has been slathered in between layer upon layer of cardboard, particle board, and a material I have never seen before but looks (to me) like quarter inch thick formica

Xaquin on
  • Options
    So I just realized I'm thinking about things entirely wrong with my re-connection of my severed power cord.

The end of the cord leads to this transformer.
    1361-gt-honeywell-16-5vac-40va-plug-in-power-transformer-for-vista-series-control-panels-14.png

Rather than trying to re-attach the power cable where I cut it...isnt it easier for me to have simply shortened the cord, and attach the *new* ends to the transformer here, under the screws?

It is amazing how slow and stupid you feel after years of renting makes you default to "guess Ill just call the landlord"

• Options
    Sure, but you said there were 4 cables? Where'd the other two terminate? One goes to that screw at the top I assume?

• Options
    I'm not sure but they're still attached to the transformer in the basement on the floor. I'll check there, then duplicate.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Sure, but you said there were 4 cables? Where'd the other two terminate? One goes to that screw at the top I assume?

Nope! That's to mount the transformer permanently to the wall outlet, make sure it can't work loose or get knocked out.

• Options

Nope! That's to mount the transformer permanently to the wall outlet, make sure it can't work loose or get knocked out.

Old plugs with no grounding (the missing third prong) used that screw as a grounding mechanism, too, though. Even though it didn't ever really work.

• Options

Old plugs with no grounding (the missing third prong) used that screw as a grounding mechanism, too, though. Even though it didn't ever really work.

It's only going through the plastic housing, and there's a little fibre isolating washer on it.

• Options

It's only going through the plastic housing, and there's a little fibre isolating washer on it.

We're talking old electrical stuff here though:

jTqrx.jpg

Both the top/bottom and middle screw holes used to be able to be used for "grounding". That's why those cheater plugs have the third hole/slot thingie there. Back in the day all outlet boxes had conduit that was attached to that and grounded to cold water pipes.

• Options
    This of course may not apply to countries outside the US, but the transformer is one designed for the US anyways.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    Well thanks Bowen, I am now retroactively scared about all the times I used one of those cheaters.

This discussion has been closed.