As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo admits pants were down, beefs up Wii production

cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
About freakin' time. From Engadget:
While it should hardly come as a surprise given the demand, the AP is reporting that Nintendo is currently working to increase its Wii production in an effort to satisfy as many patiently-waiting gamers as possible. Nintendo President Satoru Iwata also admitted that the company has not been able to properly foresee demand and said that the current lack of stock was "abnormal." Of course, they aren't sayin' exactly how much they'll be increasing production by, nor are they willing to disclose what the current monthly production capacity is. Nintendo is slightly less secretive about it's other hot-selling console, however, boasting that it's now churning out 2.5 million DSs a month, making it the highest production ever for a Nintendo game console.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/27/nintendo-working-to-boost-wii-production/

Well, that clears up any lingering doubts. Seems to me the company was playing it a bit conservative and was almost unbelieving that, yes, the Wii would sell THAT well for THAT long. Then again, I think we've all been surprised at how well it's been doing.

And I tease a bit in the thread title... having 300,000 new consoles per month (in the US) isn't bad, but it's not near enough for the demand. So--will the boost make the Wii easier to find? Or will it not be enough? Or, even if the boost is good, is demand even higher?

Also: great googly moogly, that's a lot of DSes.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
cloudeagle on

• Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think you turn up production just enough to keep getting free Sunday advertising from Best Buy and the like... and keep people *wanting* a game console they can't seem to have because once they do get one and realize the library what it is... they might tell their friends it's just lunch with no bag of chips.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    I IRCI IRC Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Two and a half million DSs a month. Good Lord.

I IRC on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2007
    I think you turn up production just enough to keep getting free Sunday advertising from Best Buy and the like... and keep people *wanting* a game console they can't seem to have because once they do get one and realize the library what it is... they might tell their friends it's just lunch with no bag of chips.
    I kinda sorta have to agree.

Wii Sports is still the most played title on my Wii, and I find the bulk of the current library to be unsatisfactory at the moment.

The situation will improve over time, no doubt... but the Wii is experiencing the classic "slow start" that any other console has had... but the hype train has not slowed down at all. It's very unusual.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    syndalis wrote: »

Wii Sports is still the most played title on my Wii, and I find the bulk of the current library to be unsatisfactory at the moment.

The situation will improve over time, no doubt... but the Wii is experiencing the classic "slow start" that any other console has had... but the hype train has not slowed down at all. It's very unusual.

The thing's only been out for five months. The same gripes about the library could be said about the PS3. Or the 360 at its five month point.

Edit: Oh wait, that's what you said. Never mind.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The moonlighting period is over for the hardware shortage, as it's 6 months after release, they had to publicly state something, no not really, Nintendo is doomed.

I still can't find a Wii

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DS is a perfect example of why analysts should shut the fuck up.

2.5 million.. that blows my mind.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    In other news:

Nintendo gets more of our money.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    They're gonna ramp up production, blah blah blah...

when are they gonna get around to announcing the Megaton?

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    so, they'll stop producing nintendo dogs?, good.

paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ...by contrast, Sony keeps claiming PS3s are selling out when you can find at least half a dozen at any given store.

Edit: I'm sorry, I just turned a Nintendo thread into a "lol sony" thread, didn't I? My bad.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2007
    I IRC wrote: »

In the time it took me to type this post, Nintendo just made another 15 DSs.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »

The thing's only been out for five months. The same gripes about the library could be said about the PS3. Or the 360 at its five month point.

Edit: Oh wait, that's what you said. Never mind.

The difference is the 360 HAS a good Library now, that first 5 months is over for it, thus the pros of launching a console early.

Franko on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I IRC wrote: »

In the time it took me to type this post, Nintendo just made another 15 DSs.

in that same amount of time, 25 DSs were sold.

in Topeka, Kansas alone.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    IchinisanIchinisan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Get Wii Play and I gurantee you that you'll see a sharp decline in Wii Sports playtime. Everyone shows up to play Wii Play and it's only when someone asks "Where's bowling? I thought this had bowling." that Wii Sports goes back in. Target Practice and Laser Hockey alone are worth it.

Ichinisan on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It is my fervent desire that this will allow me to actually purchase a Wii in the coming months.

Fervent.

gilrain on
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Some day I'll have games to play on it. I keep promising myself that.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    The thing is, for many people buying it...they don't need a huge library. Wii Sports (and later Wii Play) and maybe Zelda could last them until February (Sonic) and then April has Mario.

They're not consuming titles nearly as fast.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    2.5 million a month? That's beyond mind-blowing. I mean, there's only 2.6 PS3's sold TOTAL, to put it in perspective.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    2.5 million a month? That's beyond mind-blowing. I mean, there's only 2.6 PS3's sold TOTAL, to put it in perspective.

I'm trying to figure out who the hell is buying the things. I mean, aren't there only like 4 or 5 billion people on the planet? Are the damn things just a hit with the fucking martians too?

yalborap on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    yalborap wrote: »

I'm trying to figure out who the hell is buying the things. I mean, aren't there only like 4 or 5 billion people on the planet? Are the damn things just a hit with the fucking martians too?

You are forgetting how much the Japanese seem to love to buy stuff over again. For example, all of those RPGs with special super international editions that come out a few months after the original game is released.

Couscous on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    How tall would a stack of 2.5 Million DS's be?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    yalborap wrote: »

You are forgetting how much the Japanese seem to love to buy stuff over again. For example, all of those RPGs with special super international editions that come out a few months after the original game is released.
    Hey, Americans would buy them too if we uh...actually got them.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    JESUS CHRISTO!

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man, nobody predicted that the Wii would do what it's doing now.

I'll agree that the library isn't completely fleshed out, yet, either; but that's pretty typical of a launch. At least there's Wii Sports, Zelda, Trauma Center, WarioWare, SuperPaper Mario, Elebits, SSX, Sonic Metal Slug, Excite Truck, Rayman, Madden, Woods, and perhaps even Super Swing or Marvel UA or Godfather if you like.

It's not fully fleshed out but it's fair given the hesitation of developers/publishers prelaunch.

Anyway, DS? 2.5M?

Wha.. I don't even know what to say.

slash000 on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I heard the problem used to be that Foxconn simply didn't have the factories to pump them out. Who did they outsource this extra production to?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    Anyway, DS? 2.5M?

Wha.. I don't even know what to say.
    dsprintsmoneyok3.gif

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    they finally turned the DS into a self-replicating machine, i welcome our 2 screened overlords.

paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    To put things in another light, 2.5 million per month is just shy of one DS per second.

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I still find the whole turnabout to be hilarious. Just a few years ago people were all "Wtf DS?" and now the thing is a tiny juggernaut.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    apotheos wrote: »

it'd weight about the same as a PS3.

LewieP on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I love the thread title

Nintendo admits pants were down, beefs up Wii :winky:

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DieboldDiebold __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

it'd weight about the same as a PS3.

A DS is about 2.2 cm thick.

So, 2.5 million of them on top of each other would be about 180446 feet tall.

That's a bit more than 6 Mount Everests stacked on top of each other.

Diebold on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    [/QUOTE]

If you laid the stack on its end, then you could cross from one end of New Mexico to the other. That's each DS on its edge, not laid flat.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What world are you guys living in saying the Wii has no good software? Twilight Princess, Wario Ware, SSX Blur, Excite Truck, Sonic, Super Paper Mario, Trauma Center - and that's just off the top of my head. You guys act like the only good game the Wii has is Wii Sports, which is simply untrue. Considering that we're only five months into its lifespan, I'd say it has a pretty good little library so far. More than respectable.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, for only being out for 5 months or so, I think the Wii has a superb library. Wii Sports, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Trauma Center: Second Opinion, and Wario Ware are all excellent games and the system also has a number of games like Sonic & Super Paper Mario that, while not as good as the above, are still firmly in the good to very good category.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

If you laid the stack on its end, then you could cross from one end of New Mexico to the other. That's each DS on its edge, not laid flat.[/QUOTE]

Stacked up, at 7/8" tall, it would be a stack 875,000 feet high, or roughly 166 miles.

Laid end to end, it would be a line 13,281,250 feet long, or 2515 miles.

Edit: beat'd? I might have bad math.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Honestly, I think the only game I thought was worthwhile on the Wii was DBZ BT2. I've been using the Wii as a web browser for over two months now.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Obligatory how long does it take to tape two Gamecubes together?

It's about time this happened.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Good news...I can't wait to finally play TP when I get a Wii. I just may get one this summer after all!

Darlan on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    They should do what they did in the movies Primer or The Prestige. That'll fix Wii production.

(Those movies are fucked up.)

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767