As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

For Sale: 2017 [Car thread] - No Rust! New Clutch! Blown Turbo!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah but the Dodge ripped off the RX-7:

1992-mazda-rx-7-rear-taillights.jpg

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Kia provided Jalopnik with official pricing for the Stinger:

$31,900 for base Stinger 2.0T
    $37,000 for Stinger Premium 2.0T
    $39,000 for GT 3.3 T
    $43,500 for GT1 3.3T
    $49,500 for GT2 3.3 T
    AWD $2,200 for all models
    Destination $895

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Glad to see the 3.3T becomes available mid tier.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    The Hyundai i30 N is also shaping up to be really good. https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-driven/hyundai-i30-n-review/36807

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Hopefully it does well enough to make it to North America. My wife loves her 2013 Elantra GT and this would be the perfect upgrade in a couple years.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Whatever happened to the mid-engine Hyundai? I think it was a Veloster, but I'm not sure.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Whatever happened to the mid-engine Hyundai? I think it was a Veloster, but I'm not sure.

Nah, that's FWD. They even brought out a turbo model that was about as fast as a stock 86/BRZ, but with worse handling, uglier, and for only ~$10k more.

• Options

It was spotted testing under camouflage a while back but I haven't seen much news about it lately.

• Options

Nah, that's FWD. They even brought out a turbo model that was about as fast as a stock 86/BRZ, but with worse handling, uglier, and for only ~$10k more.

It was a sub-model of another, where they put the FWD drivetrain into the middle of the car for reasons, and were touting it around that they were going to make a mid-engine hatch or something. But quick searches for mid-engine Hyundai are turning up nothing.

• Options
    The mid-engine concept is called the RM16 N. Autoblog reported on spy shots of it on the 'Ring back in October of last year. No reporting that I can find on it that's newer than that.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.autoblog.com/amp/2016/10/24/hyundai-rm16-n-nurburgring-spy-photo-mid-engine/

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Also @chrishallett83 the Veloster Turbo starts ~$5k less than the Toyota 86 in the USA ($21k vs $26k). Your other points still stand.

jgeis on
  • Options
    Yeah! That's the one! It looks so awesome! How awesome would a mid-engine, coupe hatchback be in this day and age?

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    *coughs politely*

• Options
    I'm all for weird cars and mid-engine hatchbacks are pretty weird so I'm 100% down for the RM16.

• Options
    The only other reasonably affordable mid-engine car I can think of is a Lotus. Or do they not make those any more?

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Hey thread, need advice. I'm looking at buying some new wheels for the Cadillac CTS, and I've found a good deal on some factory CTS-V wheels... Just out of curiosity, you wouldn't happen to know what I could look for to ensure they are indeed OEM, and not just replicas? I don't want to get bit and spend $1500 bucks on used wheels I could have bought brand new.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    The only other reasonably affordable mid-engine car I can think of is a Lotus. Or do they not make those any more?

I honestly don't know what Lotus models are still for sale new in the US? I think maybe just the Evora?

The Porsche Boxter and Cayman are also mid-engine and in that price range. The Alfa Romeo 4C is technically in that same ballpark but dealers charged massive mark-ups on them and I assume are still doing so.

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »

I honestly don't know what Lotus models are still for sale new in the US? I think maybe just the Evora?

The Porsche Boxter and Cayman are also mid-engine and in that price range. The Alfa Romeo 4C is technically in that same ballpark but dealers charged massive mark-ups on them and I assume are still doing so.

I kinda put the Porsches at a higher tier, even though I think they start at around $55k. Completely forgot about the Alfa.

• Options

I kinda put the Porsches at a higher tier, even though I think they start at around $55k. Completely forgot about the Alfa.

The only new Lotus for sale within 50 miles of Los Angeles are Evora 400s, starting at $98,000, according to Cars.com.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »
    Hey thread, need advice. I'm looking at buying some new wheels for the Cadillac CTS, and I've found a good deal on some factory CTS-V wheels... Just out of curiosity, you wouldn't happen to know what I could look for to ensure they are indeed OEM, and not just replicas? I don't want to get bit and spend $1500 bucks on used wheels I could have bought brand new.

Ask around the CadillacOwners forums, they would know for sure. When I was buying Camaro wheels there was a GM stamp on the inside of the wheel, I assume there would be something similar.

• Options
    mRahmani wrote: »

Ask around the CadillacOwners forums, they would know for sure. When I was buying Camaro wheels there was a GM stamp on the inside of the wheel, I assume there would be something similar.

Great idea, and I'll have a look for genuine stampings... I would guess on the inner wheel barrel, a spoke, or the like.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited September 2017

in what price range? a base Boxy (718) with zero options is $57.4k. with even a couple non-fluff options (like active suspension and LSD) and you're up to ~$70k. wouldn't be surprised if you ticked every option you'd end up with a $100k non-S Boxter (because Porsche)

the Evora is $90k+

jwalk on
  • Options
    jwalk wrote: »

in what price range? a base Boxy (718) with zero options is $57.4k. with even a couple non-fluff options (like active suspension and LSD) and you're up to ~$70k. wouldn't be surprised if you ticked every option you'd end up with a $100k non-S Boxter (because Porsche)

the Evora is $90k+

I wasn't sure if Lotus was still selling the Elise and figured that would be around $40-50k brand new. I guess I was just ballparking starting prices around $50k.

• Options
    The Elise and the Exige both still exist and can be bought new, I guess just not in the 'States though?

• Options
    The Elise and the Exige both still exist and can be bought new, I guess just not in the 'States though?

Something something safety regulations

• Options

And we're larger (both height and width) than most other areas generally. And terrible drivers. And there are a host of other cars with better performance, of any measure, that you can get for that price.

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    not in the states no, base Elise (Toyota 1.8 engine) was $45k.. ten years ago. Exige was $60k-ish.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    With Dyson saying they are getting into electric cars
    Why doesn't someone build a conversion kit to change cars to EV? as it's a really bizarre world of hobbyists doing it with forklift motors or worse.
    I know battery tech has made leaps and bounds over the last 5 years so you don't have to use dry marine batteries to power them.

• Options

Great idea, and I'll have a look for genuine stampings... I would guess on the inner wheel barrel, a spoke, or the like.

So CadillacOwners and a little google has stopped this plan dead in it's tracks. The owner of the wheels stated they came off a 2014, so being an 18" wheel means they are just CTS wheels, NOT CTS-V. Not a big deal though, because they were in premium condition with TPMS sensors and brand new winter tires.

Unfortunately the 18" wheel option for the CTS was a staggered fitment. I've never seen a same wheel diameter stagger (8.5x18 ET32 / 9.5x18 ET46) but the staggered offset and wheel width is going to prevent me from using these on an AWD car. :sad:

Back to Kijiji I suppose.

• Options

And we're larger (both height and width) than most other areas generally. And terrible drivers. And there are a host of other cars with better performance, of any measure, that you can get for that price.

The Elise/Exige are definitely one of those cars where numbers don't tell the whole story, though. I got the chance to drive an Exige around for a few minutes earlier this year, and that car was a fucking experience.

No, it's not going to win a drag race against a Vette, but there are few cars I would try to run against it on a road course at the price point.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    With Dyson saying they are getting into electric cars
    Why doesn't someone build a conversion kit to change cars to EV? as it's a really bizarre world of hobbyists doing it with forklift motors or worse.
    I know battery tech has made leaps and bounds over the last 5 years so you don't have to use dry marine batteries to power them.

As someone who's been on an electric car team before: packaging needs are very different. Electric motors are smaller and ideally are as close to the wheel as possible, with little direct connection needed. Gas motors are big and have hard dependencies on cooling fuel and driveline. Batteries want to be low and can be flattened/spread, where gas tanks are concentrated in one spot. This doesn't even get into heater/ac dependence on spinning hot motors. You can do it, but it's expensive and not ideal in the end state. There are some neat converted BMWs though.

• Options
    I know but I just wish there was a kit or something instead of getting a forklift motor and converting it myself

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I know but I just wish there was a kit or something instead of getting a forklift motor and converting it myself

There are kits made for certain cars. EV West has kits for various classic VW and Porsche models, they run $19k for everything including the batteries, regenerative brakes, etc.

jgeis on
  • Options
    There are kits for some popular old cars. Like if you have 57 Chevy, for example, there are some plug and play kits.

• Options
    So while it isn't available to the general public yet, the Tesla Model 3 is out in the wild because early adopter employees have taken delivery already. And apparently they don't have access to FM radio or Bluetooth streaming yet. Tesla says it's coming in an OTA update before the full rollout. I find Tesla's whole product launch cycle super interesting.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Jag has announced an electric conversion kit for E-Types, yea?

• Options
    There are kits for some popular old cars. Like if you have 57 Chevy, for example, there are some plug and play kits.

I want to do it to one of the unpopular cars from the 70's but the more I look into it the more I have to do it myself :(

• Options
    edited September 2017
    So while it isn't available to the general public yet, the Tesla Model 3 is out in the wild because early adopter employees have taken delivery already. And apparently they don't have access to FM radio or Bluetooth streaming yet. Tesla says it's coming in an OTA update before the full rollout. I find Tesla's whole product launch cycle super interesting.

Yeah, "interesting" is definitely one word to describe treating a car like a Steam Greenlight release. I remain highly skeptical of the model 3's ability to do anything other than generate headlines.

mRahmani on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Yeah, "interesting" is definitely one word to describe treating a car like a Stream greenlight release. I remain highly skeptical of the model 3's ability to do anything other than generate headlines.

I remain highly intrigued by the Model 3 and look forward to test driving one eventually. Tesla had an OTA update recently that dropped the 0-60 times on some models by 1 full second. Radio functionality is peanuts by comparison. If I could justify it I would have put us on the waitlist for one. My wife's car is less than a year old though, and mine is about to be paid off finally at the 5 year mark next month, and I should stick with it for at least a few more years.

• Options
    I think the most concerning thing about the Model 3 is the price. It was supposed to be hailed as the the $35k electric wonder-car but it really is more like the $50k wonder-car. Not quite a bait and switch, but not as disruptive to the market as anticipated.

This discussion has been closed.