As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PSN] Thread

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Tales from the Borderlands is my favorite Telltale game and my favorite Borderlands game.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    *snip*

Not sure where you got Sega from, they don't appear to have anything to do with it. "Screaming Villains" (whoever they are) are publishing it, while Limited Run Games are distributing the physical PS4 version.

Ah, fair. I just assumed Sega had something to do with it, since the first release (and really, the only one I knew about) was on the Sega CD. Hell, the player-character is a member of the "Sega Control Attack Team!" (Thanks, Wikipedia.)

On an entirely different note, I'm pretty excited about May's PS+ releases. I almost picked up Tales from the Borderlands when it was on sale a month or so ago for... I think $1.99 for the whole thing? $2.99? I forget. Guess I saved myself $2-3.

I also was very interested in trying Abzu but knew it'd hit PS+ eventually, so I waited and am glad I did so. Oh, and Type:Rider! I gave that a skip despite some interest and then pretty much forgot about it. For the low, low price of free, I'll check it out on Vita.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Abzu seems like the perfect ps+ game. Exactly the kind of game where I went 'this looks interesting but do I want to buy it at full price?'.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Okay I give Sony alot of shit about their free PS+ games, but this month's is pretty rad.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    I've seen plenty of praise for Tales from the Borderlands

but how much of that relies on knowledge of, and fan service to, the main series? I only played like 5 hours of the first game.

Tales from the Borderlands is the only Borderlands game I've ever played and it's still pretty great. Telltale's second best game IMO, behind The Wolf Among Us.
    Ugh, PSN is abysmal. I've been downloading updates for Gran Turismo 6 for the past 12 hours and it's only 22% done. Hopefully it'll be done in a couple days.

I've found that super slow PSN download speeds can often be fixed with a restart.

Wired connections help a lot too.

But TBH I can imagine the big problem with PS3 patches these days is Sony may have downscaled their PS3 infrastructure as it's gotten less popular. So the issue is more because he's trying to play a PS3 game in 2017 than PSN being abysmal.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Okay I give Sony alot of shit about their free PS+ games, but this month's is pretty rad.

If You're from America. Would rather have Abzu than Alienation here in the EU.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I already own both of the PS4 (NA) games, bought them on sale for $5 each.

I also picked up Alienation for a pittance at one point too.

Having said that, this is the first month PS+ has had absolutely zero for me. Maybe they will have a PSVR game next month to make up for it!!

26904.png
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    2017 is the reigning champion for 'when the fuck do I have time between awesome games to try PS+ games?'

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    2017 might go down with years like 1998 as one of the best years in gaming ever

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    2017 might go down with years like 1998 as one of the best years in gaming ever

I'll be honest that I remember 1991 more than 1998, but looking at both, there was some damn good stuff both of those years. We do seem to get a deluge of really good games or gaming advances every 7-10 years.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    2001 > 1998

The worst thing about this year is so many of these incredible games are absurdly long. We need more short games.

Anyway, yay, RTK13 Fame and Strategy is fixed on the PAL store, so I can actually buy it now (though that probably won't be till next week anyway). I contacted them yesterday about it and they said they'd requested a fix with SIEE but I didn't think it'd be that quick.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Tales from the Borderlands was almost my GotY and I have literally never played a Borderlands.

I think in the grand finale I may have missed like, a joke about someone. The rest is super easy to just pick up as you go.

I didn't even realize some characters were actually in the main games until long after I finished and it made me want to go give Borderlands a try.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Tales from the Borderlands was almost my GotY and I have literally never played a Borderlands.

I think in the grand finale I may have missed like, a joke about someone. The rest is super easy to just pick up as you go.

I didn't even realize some characters were actually in the main games until long after I finished and it made me want to go give Borderlands a try.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    One of the nerdier things I do is keep a spreadsheet with all of the games I've finished since I started keeping track, and it's up to a little over 500 games at this point. I can sort by release date, and oddly enough 1998 is an almost unrepresented year, with only 5 games from it. (And three of them are obscure Saturn games).

2007 and 2009, on the other hand, ermagahd those were good years for me. 2017 is comparing really well to both so far, though, and I am hopeful for some big surprises at E3.

• Options
    One of the nerdier things I do is keep a spreadsheet with all of the games I've finished since I started keeping track . . .

I have a database of all the games I have sorted into tables by service (Steam, GOG, Origin, Uplay) or platform maker (Nintendo, Sony, etc) with fields for the specific system, release year, game name, completion status, genre, sub-genre, control scheme, and amount of players.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »

mxmarks wrote: »

Do you dislike shooters? I really liked the first game. I've had a harder time getting into the second game even though the story is a lot better, but I think it's probably worth me going back and trying to finish it.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    One of the nerdier things I do is keep a spreadsheet with all of the games I've finished since I started keeping track . . .

I have a database of all the games I have sorted into tables by service (Steam, GOG, Origin, Uplay) or platform maker (Nintendo, Sony, etc) with fields for the specific system, release year, game name, completion status, genre, sub-genre, control scheme, and amount of players.

I think this is where I'm supposed to roll over and show you my unprotected belly as a sign of submission.

• Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I think this is where I'm supposed to roll over and show you my unprotected belly as a sign of submission.

I'm just a bit neurotic. :wink:

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    First Hour demo for Prey is up now in the PS Store. It's 13.5ish GBs. I'm downloading it now.

Annoying that progress won't carry over to the full game - you'll need to replay this hour - but I figure I'll sink 30 or so minutes into it and see if it's for me.

I'm not usually one for horror games, but I do love me some derelict spaceships and sci-fi atmosphere and gorgeous graphics.

Edit: Whoops, I guess there's not enough space on my console? Must need more than 13.5 GB to download.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Has it much to do with the original? I normally don't like FPS but certain games sink their hooks in and Prey was one.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Not a thing. That's why I'm not buying it tbh. I'm one of the few that really enjoyed the tale told in the first.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    From what I've played thus far, it's basically Bioshock but in space. Neuromods instead of Plasmids etc.

No portals, spirit walking, or wall/ceiling walking either, so there's nothing really at all in common with the 2006 game.
    It's good, just not full-price good, especially with so much else in my backlog right now.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I think they confirmed a while ago that the new Prey has nothing to do with the previous one.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Prey could easily replace Andromeda as my space game this year, assuming the gameplay and story are decent, and people's faces aren't made out of paraffin wax.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    With the way Bethesda completely fucked over Human Head and Prey 2, you couldn't pay me to play nuPrey. It looks so derivative and boring compared to the open world sci fi bounty hunter game we were once going to get.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Twitter rumblings indicate Night Trap pre-orders are crazy-good. Huh.

that's unfortunate

It's fantastic. Bring on Double Switch next!

What's the source on that news, though?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I think they confirmed a while ago that the new Prey has nothing to do with the previous one.

It's pretty much a marketing move since the AAA publishers are largely terrified to release anything new.

But if it means we actually get a new type of concept, what the hell.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    As far as I can tell, there's no way to subscribe by email or RSS to "The Drop" blog alone (without the other PS blog stuff). Am I wrong? I wouldn't be surprised... Sony's platforms for promoting its games are generally godawful and I don't know why this would be any different.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »

It's pretty much a marketing move since the AAA publishers are largely terrified to release anything new.

But if it means we actually get a new type of concept, what the hell.

I really hope I'm not the only one who has no friggin' idea what Prey is/was. Like I have zero memory of this game, so invoking the IP just makes me shrug and scratch my head.

Well... after typing the above, I decided to hit the googles. And it turns out I did remember the game, just not what the hell it was called. To put it as hilariously reductive as possible, "Oh yeah that shooter with the native american that had portals before Portal, and the opening that has you getting abducted by aliens while Free Ride plays. I... remember that I guess...?". It's also the only part of the game I remember... not that I played any more than that. And the only reason I barely remember it is because I like Free Ride.

So the end result is the same, invoking the IP still just makes me shrug and scratch my head.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I finished the 2006 version and really liked it back in the day. The multi-player was really good too, no community now though. :(

The new one should have been called 'Neuroshock' or 'Mimic' or something, might fit better as a title with the story/themes that they're telling.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Prey had some good ideas, but also had a stellar opening scene.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Yeah, pretty much the best part of the game was contained within the demo. Also, it was hilarious that they got Art Bell to do some guest voicework as himself.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    That first Prey demo dropped when there was basically nothing else on the 360. I probably played through it ten times.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    With the way Bethesda completely fucked over Human Head and Prey 2, you couldn't pay me to play nuPrey. It looks so derivative and boring compared to the open world sci fi bounty hunter game we were once going to get.

Oh come the fuck on

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    I honestly haven't seen anything to wow me on it. The mimic feature is neat but the rest definitely looks standard sci-fi.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Modern Warfare infinite is derivative sci-fi; Prey looks to be doing rather unique and a storyline I've no idea how it is going to end.

Certainly no less derivative than a space bounty hunter game (which I'd also want to play).

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

no it was pretty terrestrial actually

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I'll be honest, one of my favorite series of games in the past few years has been Darksiders, and that could easily be claimed to either be derivative or an homage, depending on how you want to define that. Either way, I'm obviously ok with whatever we're calling that, as long as it's fun to play.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    If anything, the new Prey is derivative of Dishonored. And like, that's a good thing.

• Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Oh come the fuck on

What? They're the ones who HAD to use that name, so every time I see that game, I'm immediately reminded of how incredible Prey 2 looked and how uninteresting the new one is in comparison. For anyone who doesn't remember or wasn't paying attention, this was Prey 2 before Bethesda fucked Human Head over:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPkHZfjK5z4
    If anything, the new Prey is derivative of Dishonored. And like, that's a good thing.

Last I recall, Bethesda went to Arkane saying "make a Prey game for us" and Arkane's response was "okay but only if we can make it a System Shock-like." Then they threw a fit when that leaked, calling Jason Schrier a "press sneak fuck" in a studio-wide email which also hilariously leaked.