As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PSN] Thread

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Shit! My USA account PlayStation plus ran out a while ago, no Adr1ft be for me :(

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    The flash sale price for MUA is absolutely the correct price to pay for it, IMO

It's not a terrible port, there's just...nothing special about it. It feels like I'm playing the 360 version of MUA on my PS4

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

It's not a terrible port, there's just...nothing special about it. It feels like I'm playing the 360 version of MUA on my PS4

What's the better game? 1 or 2? Or are both worth it? I might pick it up for a co-op game.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    I personally hated 2, but it has its defenders

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

What's the better game? 1 or 2? Or are both worth it? I might pick it up for a co-op game.

2 plays like a cheap knock off of 1... which was a worse version of the X-Men Legends games but eh.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    MUA1 is the better game.

It makes sense to rerelease these games, since Marvel is so hot right now, but I would take X-Men Legends 1 or 2 over MUA, no contest.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I think MUA2 is the better game, but I understand I'm in the minority on that.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I get re-releasing them (and I bought them!) but what I really want is a Marvel SRPG. I need tactical control over Squirrel Girl and her various squirrel-related powers.

And the Avengers would be cool, too, I guess.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    So Horizon's getting some incredible reviews and is currently sitting at 89 on Metacritic. I was expecting good reviews (like low to mid-80s on MC) but I wasn't expecting Guerrilla's first attempt at an open world RPG to be that well received. I'm really looking forward to picking it up.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Fuck. Fuck. Shit. Fuck. I'm going to have to buy it now. Bollocks.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Eurogamer, the Guardian, and Austin Walker (@ Waypoint) are each a bit more conservative in their evaluations. By all accounts it's a visual marvel (other than apparently piss-poor motion-capture for dialogue), but the gameplay hasn't really evolved beyond its inspirations (Far Cry/Tomb Raider/Monster Hunter), nor does it significantly evolve over the course of the game.

I think I'll be passing on it for now and pick up Nier in a few weeks.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Yeah I have enough money budgeted for three games over the next six months or so and this wasn't one of them. Thrown a wrench into my plans.

• Options
    I think I might still hold off, since there's no huge incentive to buy day one. Not like it's a multiplayer game.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Awesome surprise!

...sucks that it's coming out during a minor avalanche of great games, but still great to hear!

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    Eurogamer, the Guardian, and Austin Walker (@ Waypoint) are each a bit more conservative in their evaluations. By all accounts it's a visual marvel (other than apparently piss-poor motion-capture for dialogue), but the gameplay hasn't really evolved beyond its inspirations (Far Cry/Tomb Raider/Monster Hunter), nor does it significantly evolve over the course of the game.

Videogamer also says the same thing; visually it's great, and the things it comes up with its own, such as fighting big Zoids, are great, but when it borrows things from other games, it doesn't do things quite as well; eg; dinosaurs with saucer heads are basically assassin creed towers, you have outposts from Farcry, tomb challenges from Tomb Raider, etc...

The main quest line is suppose to be good, but the side-missions are basically just padding; I think I've also read that despite the game having a conversation wheel, is has no effect on the outcome.

I'll probably get it further down the line, but as others have said, there's a tonne of stuff coming out in the next few months, so I might just wait to see how other things turn out; eg; Nier, Mass Effect, etc...

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    I finished the first Uncharted game this weekend, so yay! It was . . . I don't know, underwhelming? I'm sure hype has something to do with my expectations, but I'm genuinely interested in how this game kicked off a huge franchise, because it doesn't, in my humble opinion, do anything particularly well except for the voice acting. But I am of course viewing an older game through a modern lens. I'm still looking forward to playing Uncharted 2, especially if it's the huge leap in quality that people here claim it is.

In other news, still having a blast playing Killing Floor 2. It occupied most of my weekend.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    I'm just trying desperately to keep myself entertained until Persona comes out, since I've already preordered that one. I can't remember the last new game I got, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't No Man's Sky. Which I'm playing again because Elite isn't out yet and I need something.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    It was really Uncharted 2 that made people really stand up and take notice.

• Options
    I finished the first Uncharted game this weekend, so yay! It was . . . I don't know, underwhelming? I'm sure hype has something to do with my expectations, but I'm genuinely interested in how this game kicked off a huge franchise, because it doesn't, in my humble opinion, do anything particularly well except for the voice acting. But I am of course viewing an older game through a modern lens. I'm still looking forward to playing Uncharted 2, especially if it's the huge leap in quality that people here claim it is.

In other news, still having a blast playing Killing Floor 2. It occupied most of my weekend.

Uncharted was a launch title wasn't it? It certainly stood out compared to any of the other games that were released at the same time. Mechanics wise, it is the weakest by far, but you can tell a lot was learned with regards to what worked and what didn't by the time Uncharted 2 came out.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

Uncharted was a launch title wasn't it? It certainly stood out compared to any of the other games that were released at the same time. Mechanics wise, it is the weakest by far, but you can tell a lot was learned with regards to what worked and what didn't by the time Uncharted 2 came out.

It wasn't a launch title, but it was pretty early in the PS3's life.

• Options
    It was leagues ahead of Tomb Raider at the time, it's closest counterpart.

• Options
    Even though the first Uncharted has retroactively become kind of "meh," it was fairly influential on game design. We wouldn't have had the awesome Tomb Raider reboot without it.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    I'll still have to try and get Horizon sometime the first week. I'm just trying to get through Uncharted 4 first.

I knew it wasn't going to revolutionize open world gaming as much as it could, because the first has to be a bit safe. But it does sound like a really good proof of concept. Yeah, it does take a ton from the Ubisoft formula, but the style and setting seem to offset that a lot. Yeah there's towers to climb, but they're giant wandering space giraffe.

Like any first game, it has to shoehorn in a shit ton of world building. The game will hopefully do what it's supposed to: get people really excited for a sequel.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

Videogamer also says the same thing; visually it's great, and the things it comes up with its own, such as fighting big Zoids, are great, but when it borrows things from other games, it doesn't do things quite as well; eg; dinosaurs with saucer heads are basically assassin creed towers, you have outposts from Farcry, tomb challenges from Tomb Raider, etc...

The main quest line is suppose to be good, but the side-missions are basically just padding; I think I've also read that despite the game having a conversation wheel, is has no effect on the outcome.

I'll probably get it further down the line, but as others have said, there's a tonne of stuff coming out in the next few months, so I might just wait to see how other things turn out; eg; Nier, Mass Effect, etc...

This sounds fucking amazing

• Options
    They've put a best spin on the towers thing by having them be living creatures, wandering around.

• Options

Yet there's others saying that while it starts out seeming like it's a typical open world game, it really comes into its own a bit later on and doesn't let up.

As for the motion capture, I'm betting that's almost entirely down to the scale of the game. They've been making 10-15 hour shooter campaigns for 12 or 13 years before Horizon, so I doubt they had the staff to deal with the amount of animation work a 30 hour open world RPG would require compared to what they're used to. It should be something they look to dramatically improve with the inevitable sequel.

On the bright side, by all accounts it's a technical marvel, running at a consistent 30fps with only a few small drops in places and next to no bugs. It's a very good sign for Death Stranding and whatever Guerrilla does next (which I'm guessing will be another Killzone from the Shadow Fall team).

• Options
    Double post but the NieR Automata trophy list is out and AVOID AT ALL COSTS because it has spoilers. The good news is (based on what people are saying on GAF) there's no difficulty trophies.

Hopefully I'll have enough time to finish both Horizon and NieR before Persona 5 comes out.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    So let's say I bought some PSOne classics on my PS3. I can view them on my PSN one account on my PC

Now let's say that PS3 is no longer functioning. I don't want to buy another, since I've got a 4, now.

If I bought a game on the PSN to play on the PS3, and that game is on the list of compatible games on the PSTV, would I have access to that game since I already purchased it on my account, or would I need to buy it again to play it on a different platform?

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    So let's say I bought some PSOne classics on my PS3. I can view them on my PSN one account on my PC

Now let's say that PS3 is no longer functioning. I don't want to buy another, since I've got a 4, now.

If I bought a game on the PSN to play on the PS3, and that game is on the list of compatible games on the PSTV, would I have access to that game since I already purchased it on my account, or would I need to buy it again to play it on a different platform?

It's tied to the account, not the console, so you should be good. That said, the PSTV compatibility list is pretty mediocre, so good luck.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

It's tied to the account, not the console, so you should be good. That said, the PSTV compatibility list is pretty mediocre, so good luck.

Yeah I figured it wasn't everything, so I checked the compatibility list. It's got most of what I've got already, I think it's only missing a couple.

• Options
    Whelp, Warhammer Quest looks not so great. Guess I'll ignore that too... sighhhhhh!

I wish we could get stuff on consoles like Dawn of War, and Total War :(

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Can anyone compare and contrast Vermintide on PS4 vs the PC version? The PS4 version seems to be missing an AWFUL lot.

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Whelp, Warhammer Quest looks not so great. Guess I'll ignore that too... sighhhhhh!

Warhammer Quest was a perfectly fine / fun little game to have on my mobile. I think it was made by Rodeo games who also did the Deathwatch game (again a perfectly good game). They also did 2 other games, Hunters and Hunters 2.

The mechanics in all of those games are all very similar, so if the license isn't a big deal, I'd recommend having a look at Hunters 2 (it is basically a 40k setting) to see if it is your kind of thing.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Can anyone compare and contrast Vermintide on PS4 vs the PC version? The PS4 version seems to be missing an AWFUL lot.

Just play KF2 with meeeee.

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular

Yeah, I looked the intro movie in the store, and it looked like a port of a mobile game, but 40 euro?
    I was hoping for at least an isometric view of going through the dungeons...

I am still hoping for Steamworld Heist/X-Com version of Necromunda.... You know, or make it in VR so that you can actually have the miniature's eye view... And when everything moves you can look around the tabletop in full glory...

Sorry, my imagination/hopes just ran free there... :wink:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options

I also wish we could get another Space Marine.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Space Marine really was something special, even the main menu is awesome.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    Oooh, Critcs Choice Sale. Going to pick up Enter the Gungeon.

• Options
    Hmm, a halfway decent sale! I might pick up Rise of the Tomb Raider and tuck it away for a rainy day. Already played through all of it on XBone, but it's a fantastic game and I want them trophies. Also wanna try it out on my Pro.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Finally buying INSIDE