Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Historical Context of Fascism

1232425262729»

• JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    The Cult of Personality is one of the things that distinguishes Fascism from Authoritarian conservatism etc. It's one of the core and vital parts of Fascism.

Also, modern mass media allowing personality cults to completely permeate society at all times, places, and levels distinguishes it from what we see before the invention of radio and tv. Fascism doesn't exist without the all encompassing media environment of the 20th century.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
    John C. TurbineMegaMek
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    It used to exist on a smaller scale for this reason. The near religious (or sometimes religious) worship of a current institutions or individual is something many government types use.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    Sleep
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 11
    On the previous page coin, a minor redeeming factor. I believe that gift shop is a private, non government store that basically just focuses on selling kitschy shit at all times. Some marketing person came up with that idea, unaffiliated with the government. Technically they were granted a permit and permanent location, but they are a for profit kitsch store.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I was in Washington for training a few years back, and had enough time to wander around and check out some of the monuments. During that journey, I found a gift shop (perhaps the same one?).

After perusing the various odds and ends they had for sale, I snagged a shot glass. It's not a huge collection, but as far as memorabilia of trips, they're small and fairly resilient to damage.

Now that Trump is president, it feels all the more special, because I more regularly wish for a stiff drink.

Though in retrospect, I don't actually use the shotglasses all that often, I really should stop getting more of them.
    Thirith wrote: »
    Someone should do a mock-up of a "This is fine" commemorative coin.

I've actually had a pair of challenge coins made for a fan group in the past. Which is to say, I know a gal who can make that happen...

But a run of 100+ coins (their minimum, far as I know) is a bit expensive for a gag.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    edited February 14
    So there's a 7 minute documentary-short on the Bund rally in Madison Square Garden in 1939

https://anightatthegarden.com

It's pretty good. The imagery on stage as they sing the anthem and the pledge of allegiance is straight out of The Man in the High Castle.

The film makers tried to buy national ad time during Hannity and Fox rejected the ad as too controversial, and I'm genuinely more troubled than than mad.

(Politico person)

Here's the ad for the Oscar nominated, festival winning short they refused:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/316176375

Here's some stills from a 30s trailer they aired for Dinesh D'Souza's presumably shitfest of a movie in August:

(Daily Beast editor)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    IncenjucarOrcaCalicaMan in the MistsYoutubeLoisLaneMartini_Philosopher
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    God I hate the people that say it can't happen here. That short is video evidence that damned well yes it can.

evilthecat wrote: »
    "Bioware I want to suck on your teets of gamingness".

The 2012 issue of Fornax. | Steam and Origin: Espressosaurus
    BlackDragon480Man in the MistsMrVyngaardVegemyteMartini_PhilosopherFencingsaxTicaldfjamDoodmann
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Aside from the Nazi iconography, that ad already looks like a Trump rally.

Up to and including the poor guy getting beaten and dragged out.

Jedoc wrote: »
    The GOP cares about babies until they're born, soldiers until they're in need of care, and families until they interfere with stockholder dividends.
    OrcaYoutubeMrVyngaardshrykeLovelyVegemyteMartini_PhilosopherFencingsax
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited February 14
    Orca wrote: »
    God I hate the people that say it can't happen here. That short is video evidence that damned well yes it can.

IIRC it was the largest single day rally anywhere on Earth during the Third Reich age, that wasn't the annual Nuremburg fete in Germany from 1933-1938.

USA, USA ,USA!

BlackDragon480 on
    First they came for the Muslims and we said...NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS!
    MrVyngaard
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular

IIRC it was the largest single day rally anywhere on Earth during the Third Reicb age, that wasn't the annual Nuremburg fete in Germany from 1933-1938.

USA, USA ,USA!

Wonderful. I didn't know about it. Fucking hell.

evilthecat wrote: »
    "Bioware I want to suck on your teets of gamingness".

The 2012 issue of Fornax. | Steam and Origin: Espressosaurus
  • cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular

IIRC it was the largest single day rally anywhere on Earth during the Third Reich age, that wasn't the annual Nuremburg fete in Germany from 1933-1938.

USA, USA ,USA!

Really? From what I can find it was 20,000 people. That really doesn't seem like that many people.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    cckerberos wrote: »

USA, USA ,USA!

Really? From what I can find it was 20,000 people. That really doesn't seem like that many people.
    Some European ones that were multiple days got up to around 100k+ and took over whole towns, but the Great American Bund got between 20-23k in one day.

I'll have to check my figures again. At the least I know it was the largest in the Western Hemisphere.

First they came for the Muslims and we said...NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS!
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

The only reason the US and some other countries avoided getting on the fascist train back in the 30's was basically pure luck in the political leaders at the time. There's no reason that FDR couldn't have gone full Father Coughlin or that Hoover couldn't have tried to whip up anger at a scapegoat after the crash other than the fact that they generally weren't garbage people. This doesn't excuse the population of the countries that went that direction from their complicity, but it definitely doesn't mean that the US is somehow uniquely immune to the lure of fascism.

MrVyngaardPhillishereFencingsaxSleepDoodmannMan in the Mists
  • mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

The only reason the US and some other countries avoided getting on the fascist train back in the 30's was basically pure luck in the political leaders at the time. There's no reason that FDR couldn't have gone full Father Coughlin or that Hoover couldn't have tried to whip up anger at a scapegoat after the crash other than the fact that they generally weren't garbage people. This doesn't excuse the population of the countries that went that direction from their complicity, but it definitely doesn't mean that the US is somehow uniquely immune to the lure of fascism.

Pretty much. If you live in a country that did not go fascist in the 30's, you can only thank pure luck. There was a movement, and it was large, and it was closer to power that it seems now.

MrVyngaard
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 14
    America is fascist, it looks different, but it's there

The first red scare, the military industrial complex Eisenhower warned everyone about, the McCarthyism, the Kent State massacre, the massacres of Black activists ignored by the media, the earnest jingoism of the 80s and 90s, the Patriot act bullshit and hero worship of "the troops" post 911, the NFL partnership with the military to have a nearly compulsory anthem performance

And the complete disregard of the veterans once they're done with their service is probably an aspect of it too

DouglasDanger on
    I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
    FANTOMASMartini_PhilosopherBlackDragon480Metzger MeisterYoutubeMrVyngaardDoodmannStabbity StyleDunderIncenjucarVegemyteMan in the Mists