As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trump's [Executive Orders] and other Executive actions

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Bodily fluids have been listed in official documentation, we've gone full Strangelove.

Next thing you know they'll say we can't fight in the War Room.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    that's generally only true for democrats, because they're bad at spin

which is why mike Huckabee pardoned a murderer, who then came to Washington and murdered again, and Huck still has a functioning career

Mike Huckabee managed to con an amazing number of people into thinking he was a nice compassionate conservative instead of an amazingly hateful asshole because of a very thing veneer of "gee golly shucks!" type stuff.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

which is why mike Huckabee pardoned a murderer, who then came to Washington and murdered again, and Huck still has a functioning career

It's Karma, Arkansas gave us Bill Clinton, and had to give us Mike Hukabee to balance out.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

It's Karma, Arkansas gave us Bill Clinton, and had to give us Mike Hukabee to balance out.

But... that's two shitty people.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Bill Clinton gained popularity by being tough on crime by overseeing the execution of a mentally disabled man during his presidential campaign because that shit sold unlike openly saying you wouldn't support the death penalty if your wife was raped and murdered.

You don't necessarily need an early 1990s crime rate for an early 1990s tough on crime attitude to be popular, and law and order style garbage is an area where harshness (as long as targeting the right folks) will really appeal to Trump's base.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Bill Clinton gained popularity by being tough on crime by overseeing the execution of a mentally disabled man during his presidential campaign because that shit sold unlike openly saying you wouldn't support the death penalty if your wife was raped and murdered.

You don't necessarily need an early 1990s crime rate for an early 1990s tough on crime attitude to be popular, and law and order style garbage is an area where harshness (as long as targeting the right folks) will really appeal to Trump's base.

Clinton felt he had to be tough on crime to win, unfortunately. '92 was one election after Willie Horton, which was the defining ad that changed the election of '88 from being about the Savings and Loan Crisis and Iran-Contra to being about crime.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

Clinton felt he had to be tough on crime to win, unfortunately. '92 was one election after Willie Horton, which was the defining ad that changed the election of '88 from being about the Savings and Loan Crisis and Iran-Contra to being about crime.

https://youtu.be/Io9KMSSEZ0Y

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Here's the thing with that executive order.

Crime is relatively low. Specifically violent crime. The only kind of crime that's really problematically high is drug crime, which being tough on never eradicates. There's a reason people joke about winning the War on Drugs. It's never going to happen.

Squeezing them harder than they've ever been squeezed before means the ones you didn't catch become smarter and more resilient. So basically what Trump's EO amounts to is increased escalation of police action, more militarization of the police, and siding with law enforcement over the populace they have been persecuting for decades now. Make no mistake: Trump is not simply pro-cop. He will take the side of the police no matter how egregious their actions are.

And escalating things while refusing to acknowledge LE wrongdoing is going to create some really nasty situations.

He did run as the Law and Order candidate.

Trump keeps his campaign promises at least.

• Options
    Mr Khan wrote: »

Specifically, crime done by black people. It's no "Hands" but it's close.

• Options

It doesn't matter what you do, it's what you say. Huckabee still walked the line about brutalizing criminals, so he gets to be tough on crime no matter who he pardons.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular

Mike Huckabee managed to con an amazing number of people into thinking he was a nice compassionate conservative instead of an amazingly hateful asshole because of a very thing veneer of "gee golly shucks!" type stuff.

And Jesus. Can't forget the Jesus.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I guess Trump and Sessions really do want a race riot.

Man that's gonna get nasty in ways we haven't seen ever.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

It doesn't matter what you do, it's what you say. Huckabee still walked the line about brutalizing criminals, so he gets to be tough on crime no matter who he pardons.

hence, democrats are bad at spin

• Options
    LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    Crosspost

The executive order banning muslims has been ruled against. Repeat it has been ruled against!

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    I guess Trump and Sessions really do want a race riot.

Man that's gonna get nasty in ways we haven't seen ever.

To be honest, my first impression of that 3rd EO was that he was somehow going to try to declare that even sympathizing with BLM was illegal. Or ban protesting. (And fwiw, I think that you're being way too optimistic about the dems spines, tbloxam)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Prepare to see tweets such as you never have

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    rockrnger wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    tbloxham, have you ever heard the phrase "tough on crime"?

It's why Democrats haven't gotten rid of mandatory minimums even when being in control. Because they fear the attack ads that will plague them.

Yes, I'm saying that I think we are past that now. I think Trump's election has shown a lot of the 'old logic' can be safely ignored.

"Why are you so soft on crime Candidate DarkPrimus! Your opposition to mandatory minimums will lead to thousands being released from prison!"
    "I'm not soft on crime, I'm the toughest on crime. I'm just even tougher on assaults on the personal freedoms of American Citizens."
    "But what about the criminals who will be released!"
    "My opponent has jailed those people unlawfully. The prison system is broken and must be reformed. Keeping those people in jail is creating more crime, and destroying communities."
    "But but but..."

Sure, a few wavering Republicans might throw up their hands and vote against you, which has always been the reason for our half measures before, but far more people whose familes are stranded in the Prison system will flock to the polls to vote for you so that their family members can be released.

We are right. Right on so many issues. It's time to stop pandering to people who are wrong.

There is actually some good data on this since quite of few races have been lost because somebody got out and did something horrible.

And it only takes one.

I think the solution here is to "tough on crime", but change what crime to be "tough" on. We can reduce sentencing on drug-related offenses, but jack up the penalties for internet death threats.

Basically, I want to throw 4chan in prison.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

I hope it ruins his weekend at the "winter White House".

...I hate that he calls Mar-a-lago that.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    From the Muslim Ban thread:

• Options
    I can somehow imagine Trump actually showing up in court for the arguments.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    edit: offtopic.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    https://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2017/02/09/17-35105.pdf
    Rather than present evidence to explain the need for the Executive
    Order, the Government has taken the position that we must
    not review its decision at all. We disagree, as explained
    above.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    From the Muslim Ban thread:

Instant gratification!

Sort of

• Options
    Malevolence tempered by incompetence. The court actually remembered that he said that it was a muslim-ban.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »
    Malevolence tempered by incompetence. The court actually remembered that he said that it was a muslim-ban.

Most of the lawyers I read, including I think @So It Goes said the Giuliani statement in particular was a gift to lawyers opposing the ban.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    1) Mandatory minimums are wrong, Democrats will repeal them once we regain power (Which will discourage the investment in private prisons required to support the planned arrests)
    Or, y'know, just ban private prisons. There's no ethical reason why they should exist.

• Options
    Seems like people are tasting blood in the water. A lot of glee about this decision.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Seems like people are tasting blood in the water. A lot of glee about this decision.

Still premature. This goes back down to Judge Robart; will then get appealed back to 9th Circuit CoA, and then to USSC.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Balls, wrong thread

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    On the 3 EOs all I'm seeing is:
    1. another would create a task force to reduce violent crime
    2. the last would instruct the Department of Justice — now under Sessions’ command — to come up with a plan to stop violence against law enforcement officers."

Why are these EOs? Aren't they just stuff that a President can order done?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    2. the last would instruct the Department of Justice — now under Sessions’ command — to come up with a plan to stop violence against law enforcement officers."

That...that is what an executive order is, when it applies to administrative agencies and not people who work directly for the President.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Spaffy wrote: »

edit: removed response as Phobos nailed it better than I.

Also remember that Trump thinks EO's override the other branches of government for some reason, so he will probably start putting his McDonalds order in EO's if his doctor tells him to lay off of fatty foods.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "So commands TRUMP the First, His will be done!"

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Zython wrote: »
    Einzel wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Can I just point out in here that "destroy the blood of the youth" is some fuckin ur-Nazi af phrasing

Honestly the first thing reading it made me think of was anti interracial assholes.

That was my second thought.

My first was vampires.

Everyone knows vampires hate the taste of meth and heroin and want the blood of the youth to be pure and clean.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Those new EOs are bullshit. The two major red flags I see are "law and order" and a complete inability to realize that crime rates are relatively low. "Law and order" is the bigger one because that's usually dog whistle for using excessive police action against minorities and anyone that protests the government.

Ultimately, I have a feeling whatever these EOs call for, is going to be the exact opposite of what needs to be done.

• Options
    edited February 2017

hence, democrats are bad at spin

No, hence people like brutalizing criminals. It's a popular stance to take. You don't have to spin this shit at all. Party doesn't matter here.

shryke on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Our Republican governor is helping fast track a bill with Democratic state House reps to fight back against Trump's EOs. In news that shocks no one, Republicans are not ready to fast track it.

But it's Vermont, so that's only about 35% of the house.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure President Bannon &co expected the Muslim Ban to be struck down in the courts. Now all they need is a terror attack (doesn't have to be Islamistic because alternative facts) so they can crow about Activist Judges and further undermine the Judiciary. Because otherwise Radical Activist Judges will get Americans killed.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure President Bannon &co expected the Muslim Ban to be struck down in the courts. Now all they need is a terror attack (doesn't have to be Islamistic because alternative facts) so they can crow about Activist Judges and further undermine the Judiciary. Because otherwise Radical Activist Judges will get Americans killed.

I doubt it. They are really just this dumb and inexperienced.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Bliss 101 wrote: »

I doubt it. They are really just this dumb and inexperienced.

I would still absolutely bet on them seizing upon the first actual terrorist attack to push out some unspeakable bullshit.

ztrEPtD.gif
This discussion has been closed.