As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Foreign Policy in the Age of Trump

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »
    So Mexico is threatening to import corn from Brazil instead of the U.S.

Good, fuckin do it.

Maybe we'll produce less fuckin corn.

Pretty sure US corn production right now is completely untethered from demand for US corn. Hell, isn't the problem been finding ways for demand to match supply?

Seriously, America is obsessed with corn. We'll stick it in any hole.

Fuel? Check

Plastics? Check

Make it into fucking cat litter? Fucking Check.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Good, fuckin do it.

Pretty sure US corn production right now is completely untethered from demand for US corn. Hell, isn't the problem been finding ways for demand to match supply?

Fuel? Check

Plastics? Check

Corn: It's In Fucking Everything.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Good, fuckin do it.

Fuel? Check

Plastics? Check

Corn: It's In Fucking Everything.

Coulda been weed, but nooooo we had to be afraid of Mexicans and their jazz cigarettes.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    and black people.
    plus ca change.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    So, Trump has the answer to getting kicked out of the British Parliament, hold a rally!
    Trump shrugs off Bercow's rant: US President plans spectacular UK rally to help veterans

DONALD TRUMP will snub Parliament and “speak to the people” at a stadium rally on his UK visit, with the proceeds going to the Poppy appeal.

The US President hopes a sell-out arena address will celebrate the special relationship during his state visit to Britain later this year.

Plans are under discussion with Whitehall officials to stage the event and the £10 ticket sales will be donated to Britain’s war veterans.

Last week Commons Speaker John Bercow said he would try to block Doanld Trump addressing Parliament but insiders say the President has shrugged off the apparent snub and wants to “speak to the people, not politicians”.

The Speaker is facing a no-confidence motion following his announcement with MPs complaining that he had “overstepped the mark”.

But a source close to the President said: “Trump never asked to address Parliament in the first place.

“The idea that is being discussed is to hire a major stadium in Birmingham, Cardiff or even Wembley and to bring everyone together in a massive rally to celebrate the special relationship between the US and the UK.

The source added: “Trump is a huge supporter of the military so the plan would be to charge people £10 to attend with all the proceeds going to the Poppy appeal.

“It would be a triple win. Trump loves rallies; it would be a win for the British public and a win for the Royal British Legion, of which the Queen is patron.

“The only person who gets screwed is the Speaker of the House of Commons.” Insiders say Mr Bercow may have orchestrated the row to keep him in the post until 2020 by currying favour with the Left by vetoing a speech in Westminster Hall.

Work has yet to get underway to find the venue which his team hopes will accommodate tens of thousands.
    It has been suggested his visit could coincide with the G7 meeting in Italy at the end of May. The start of June has also been mooted, although it is looking increasingly likely the visit could be delayed until the start of September and may coincide with the G20 meeting in Germany.

Look, if I was on the UK, I would be 100% for the Trump deal, since an US/UK trade deal is one of the few ways that Brexit happens and the UK economy doesn't take a dive for losing access to the single market. "But Brexit shouldn't happen". Well, too late for that. And a repeat of the Greek crisis simply doesn't benefit anybody.

I can't believe this would happen. I'd hope the Poppy appeal would tell Trump to fuck off for one, if not for his political views but for the likelihood of never seeing that money.

I can't imagine either London or Birmingham would want to a Trump event either considers the demographics of those cites.

Plus you know the logistics of a stadium being free or organising such a thing on such short notice ....

I mean, it's not unheard of for a US President to hold a public speech in a foreign country. "Inch bein ein Berliner" and "tear down this wall" (heh) both come from such speeches. Heck, Obama gave a speech to the Irish Public in Dame Street in Dublin. I was there. It was awesome. But it also cost the Gardai (police) a fortune and they never recouped that money from the Government when it was promised they would, plus both the public speech and the visit in general meant I spent days in the city having to walk miles out of my way to get a bus, not being able to cross certain roads and dealing with a boatload of disruption. (It didn't help that we'd just finished dealing with the same stuff for a state visit by Queen Elizabeth II just days before.)

Both visits went smoothly, including the protests against the Queen's visit by hardline Republicans which going by memory all passed off peacefully, but the vast majority of people in Dublin were quite happy for both visits to take place, even a bit excited about it all. I don't think an Obama "rally" would have gone down quite so well, but I can't quite put my finger on why since I suppose you could call the event in Dame Street a rally if you pushed it. Charging us admission? I think most people would have laughed and decided to watch on TV, myself included. I mean I like Obama and all but, come on. If I'm going to fork out money for tickets to watch him speak I want to be somewhere indoors with a seat and at least a complimentary cup of tea.

The same event held with Trump? Would have been an unholy mess. About 5,000 of us marched in Dublin the day after his inauguration, with another few hundred marching in Galway. I can't even imagine how many would show up to protest if he came here in person.

...which I guess brings me to the crux of the this-is-a-bad-ideaness. How many people marched in British cities for the women's march, or to protest the Muslim ban? I mean off the top of my head I know there were Muslim ban protests in London, Birmingham, Bristol, Glasgow, Cardiff, Liverpool, Edinburgh... Is there any major city in the UK that hasn't seen protests before all this talk of him showing up in person to hold a rally?

I've heard Trump's trying to move the rally/grift out to a rural venue to avoid protestors.

I think Trump may not understand how the UK works. Firstly, the idea of a 'rural' venue is absurd, because the country is small enough that unless he holds it on say, the Isle of Man, people can easily get there on the train to protest him. Secondly, the UK doesn't actually invest millions of dollars building pointless stadium facilities in the middle of nowhere to placate rural voters. So you'd need to build a facility, and most places where you could do that are already being used for music festivals and thus have excellent transit links back to the cities.

The best you could do would be to try and host it in say, Cornwall? To try and get as far as possible from a big city and as inconvenient as possible a train ride to get there. But then, I think people would want to protest more than they would want to attend.

Hell, if it was a big charity event, with a real charity taking in the money, I'd be tempted to just arrange a buyout of the seats and fill them with protestors to boo every word he said.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

Good, fuckin do it.

Then why do dairy farmers use a lack of corn feed supply to back up feeding skittles to cattle?

http://fox59.com/2017/01/19/thousands-of-skittles-intended-for-cattle-feed-spill-on-wisconsin-highway/

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    skittles, which are made from corn

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    High Fructose Maize Syrup

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

We can neither confirm nor deny whether the cows are, themselves, actually made from corn.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

We can neither confirm nor deny whether the cows are, themselves, actually made from corn.

You are what you eat

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Corn makes pretty good cat litter, much better litter than it makes food or fuel.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    A Mexican lawmaker is talking up the possibility of importing their corn from Brazil and Argentina and embargoing US corn in retaliation for any badness from Trump.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Have any other countries besides Iran made noises about preventing entry by Americans?

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    So, Trump has the answer to getting kicked out of the British Parliament, hold a rally!
    Trump shrugs off Bercow's rant: US President plans spectacular UK rally to help veterans

DONALD TRUMP will snub Parliament and “speak to the people” at a stadium rally on his UK visit, with the proceeds going to the Poppy appeal.

The US President hopes a sell-out arena address will celebrate the special relationship during his state visit to Britain later this year.

Plans are under discussion with Whitehall officials to stage the event and the £10 ticket sales will be donated to Britain’s war veterans.

Last week Commons Speaker John Bercow said he would try to block Doanld Trump addressing Parliament but insiders say the President has shrugged off the apparent snub and wants to “speak to the people, not politicians”.

The Speaker is facing a no-confidence motion following his announcement with MPs complaining that he had “overstepped the mark”.

But a source close to the President said: “Trump never asked to address Parliament in the first place.

“The idea that is being discussed is to hire a major stadium in Birmingham, Cardiff or even Wembley and to bring everyone together in a massive rally to celebrate the special relationship between the US and the UK.

The source added: “Trump is a huge supporter of the military so the plan would be to charge people £10 to attend with all the proceeds going to the Poppy appeal.

“It would be a triple win. Trump loves rallies; it would be a win for the British public and a win for the Royal British Legion, of which the Queen is patron.

“The only person who gets screwed is the Speaker of the House of Commons.” Insiders say Mr Bercow may have orchestrated the row to keep him in the post until 2020 by currying favour with the Left by vetoing a speech in Westminster Hall.

Work has yet to get underway to find the venue which his team hopes will accommodate tens of thousands.
    It has been suggested his visit could coincide with the G7 meeting in Italy at the end of May. The start of June has also been mooted, although it is looking increasingly likely the visit could be delayed until the start of September and may coincide with the G20 meeting in Germany.

Look, if I was on the UK, I would be 100% for the Trump deal, since an US/UK trade deal is one of the few ways that Brexit happens and the UK economy doesn't take a dive for losing access to the single market. "But Brexit shouldn't happen". Well, too late for that. And a repeat of the Greek crisis simply doesn't benefit anybody.

I can't believe this would happen. I'd hope the Poppy appeal would tell Trump to fuck off for one, if not for his political views but for the likelihood of never seeing that money.

I can't imagine either London or Birmingham would want to a Trump event either considers the demographics of those cites.

Plus you know the logistics of a stadium being free or organising such a thing on such short notice ....

I mean, it's not unheard of for a US President to hold a public speech in a foreign country. "Inch bein ein Berliner" and "tear down this wall" (heh) both come from such speeches. Heck, Obama gave a speech to the Irish Public in Dame Street in Dublin. I was there. It was awesome. But it also cost the Gardai (police) a fortune and they never recouped that money from the Government when it was promised they would, plus both the public speech and the visit in general meant I spent days in the city having to walk miles out of my way to get a bus, not being able to cross certain roads and dealing with a boatload of disruption. (It didn't help that we'd just finished dealing with the same stuff for a state visit by Queen Elizabeth II just days before.)

Both visits went smoothly, including the protests against the Queen's visit by hardline Republicans which going by memory all passed off peacefully, but the vast majority of people in Dublin were quite happy for both visits to take place, even a bit excited about it all. I don't think an Obama "rally" would have gone down quite so well, but I can't quite put my finger on why since I suppose you could call the event in Dame Street a rally if you pushed it. Charging us admission? I think most people would have laughed and decided to watch on TV, myself included. I mean I like Obama and all but, come on. If I'm going to fork out money for tickets to watch him speak I want to be somewhere indoors with a seat and at least a complimentary cup of tea.

The same event held with Trump? Would have been an unholy mess. About 5,000 of us marched in Dublin the day after his inauguration, with another few hundred marching in Galway. I can't even imagine how many would show up to protest if he came here in person.

...which I guess brings me to the crux of the this-is-a-bad-ideaness. How many people marched in British cities for the women's march, or to protest the Muslim ban? I mean off the top of my head I know there were Muslim ban protests in London, Birmingham, Bristol, Glasgow, Cardiff, Liverpool, Edinburgh... Is there any major city in the UK that hasn't seen protests before all this talk of him showing up in person to hold a rally?

I've heard Trump's trying to move the rally/grift out to a rural venue to avoid protestors.

Who does he think is going to show up?! Even UKIP, Britain First and the other scumbags aren't going to fill a venue. Most of them aren't going to bother their arses dragging themselves anywhere out of their way. Their entire worldview is that everything should revolve around them. Making it a Poppy Day thing won't sway them either. Britain First have been selling poppies and keeping the cash themselves for years, fooling the public into believing they're donating to elderly and injured vets when they're funding a racist hate group.

Actually, now that I think about it Britain first might show up and set up a stall to sell poppies outside without forking out for any tickets / pretend they're providing "security" to rally-goers / take the opportunity to pick fights with protestors.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Oh god, it's cobs all the way down!

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

I am not owned!

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    c27868b6401c442fb6cf1d6321e07f43?fit=max&h=1536&w=1536&s=259b2bed937b9159615128cd08520de1

I think these are my second favorite photos from come from the Canada/US Meeting. Being the cynic that I am it makes me wonder if Ivanka was deliberately trying to throw Justin off balance by flirting with him.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Jong Un's brother died in Malaysia. (He was the one that would have been heir to the DPRK, but he was caught going to Tokyo Disney & basically kicked out of the dynasty as punishment).

Current speculation is that he was assassinated by North Korean agents.

They were testing the fences for weaknesses, systematically...

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I wonder if Mexico getting corn from Brazil might help with south/central america's drug problems. One of the big issues, as I understand it, is that it's just not profitable to grow vegetables compared to coca. If Mexico is importing from Brazil, might that make other crops more financially viable in the region?

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I wonder if Mexico getting corn from Brazil might help with south/central america's drug problems. One of the big issues, as I understand it, is that it's just not profitable to grow vegetables compared to coca. If Mexico is importing from Brazil, might that make other crops more financially viable in the region?

More profitable? Probably not.

Profitable enough for someone to want to grow something legitimate and not for narcotics? Quite possible.

• Options
    US Subsidies are the problem in general. A ban on American corn would help Mexican farmers in general, while hurting Mexican consumers pretty handily because of how heavily American corn is subsidized. Kick out the subsidies and more farmers would move away from drug crops, yeah, at the expense of accelerating Mexican inflation.

US ag subsidies do a lot of damage in developing countries in general, but we're not alone in having stupid subsidies (most Japanese rice simply never gets sold because even with farm subsidies, it's not cost-competitive with Chinese/Indonesian/Indian rice)

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

The Omnivore's Dilemma
    by Michael Pollan has a great (and appalling) exploration of this.

Calica on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

The Omnivore's Dilemma
    by Michael Pollan has a great (and appalling) exploration of this.

https://youtu.be/wIDvgJWWq70

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Win a battle of handshakes with Trump, get mis-named at the next press briefing:

edit: maybe he was thinking of this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnpVH7kIb_8

djmitchella on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

So I guess the Palestinians will not be happy with this

Hard to see how this in any way reaches a peace process that is not a ratification of permanent occupation

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

Hard to see how this in any way reaches a peace process that is not a ratification of permanent occupation

We shall make a desert and call it peace.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Also I think Netanyahu is coming to town tomorrow, isn't he?

That will be a fun joint press conference

More info within:

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

This will certainly not encourage terrorism, no sir.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    So, one state solution, that's fine. Make all the Palestinians Israeli citizens and grant Palestinian descendants outside the territories the same immigration rights that global Jews get.

A just solution.

Mr Khan on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Maybe Trump will just talk about how nice Canada is and how great Trump Tower Toronto is and the amazing deals during the off season.

Hell, he might not even realize that he's going to Ottawa and tell them to fly to the wrong city.

Trump Tower Toronto might not be Trump Tower much longer. There's an ongoing lawsuit. Actually, multiple ongoing lawsuits. And it's up for sale. Because the developer defaulted.

This post has 24 awesomes, and is in no way awesome.
    It is clear from affidavits in the fraud cases and the bankruptcy case that the buyers have taken a financial beating. A warehouse supervisor named Sarbjit Singh, who was earning about $55,000 a year, testified that he borrowed money from his father, a retired welder, for the deposit on his hotel unit; he never closed on the deal, but he says he still lost $248,000. Se Na Lee, a homemaker who was married to a mortgage underwriter, borrowed money for her deposit from her parents; she did close, and ended up losing $990,000 through December 2014, she says.

People have been hurt. People have had their lives ruined. Trump and other wrongdoers mixed up in this mess will suffer nothing for their transgressions. Don't awesome some negative news about Trump. It's not awesome, it's a tragedy that he goes unpunished for his travesties.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    That's at least their third position on Palestine in four weeks, isn't it?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Speaking a day before Trump holds a White House meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, the official said peace was the ultimate goal.

"Whether that comes in the form of a two–state solution if that's what the parties want, or something else," the official said, adding that Trump would not try to "dictate" a solution.

Failure by a U.S. president to explicitly back a two-state solution would upend decades of U.S. policy embraced by Republican and Democratic administrations. It has long been the bedrock U.S. position for resolving the long-running Israeli-Palestinian conflict and has been at the core of international peace efforts.

Any sign of a softening of U.S. support for eventual Palestinian statehood could also anger the Muslim world, including Sunni Arab allies, which the Trump administration needs in the fight against Islamic State and to back efforts against Shi’ite Iran.

Trump considers Middle East peace a "high priority," the White House official said. The president has given his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, the job of negotiating a peace deal.

"We would want to work on it very quickly," the official said.

This sounds a lot like another case of the Trump team having no idea of how big a big foreign policy reversal they just hinted at and how big the consequences of such a signal would be.

They don't know anything, so they just speak in vague generalities. Do we support the two... Uh... Yeah, yeah, sure, we like the 2 steak solution, but y'know, if they want a different number of steaks that's great too, we just hope they'll buy great tasting Trump Steaks, whether that's 2 or 1 or 5!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    The president has given his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, the job of negotiating a peace deal.

Oh, I didn't realize this part.

We're completely fucked.

:-1:

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Remember when Trump stated he'd be so neutral on Israel you'd tell your wife 'hello'?

Pepperidge Farms remembers!

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    The president has given his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, the job of negotiating a peace deal.

We're completely fucked.

I mean, we are, but that ain't why. Backing away from a two state solution is going to make people angry and that's what is going to aid in rising instability in the region. If the position of the US was the same, it wouldn't matter whatever idiot we had negotiating it because it's never going to happen until Israel gets their shit sorted out.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

We're completely fucked.

See, he's a Jew. Therefore he knows Israel-Palestine like Ben Carson knows Housing and Urban Development.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

We're completely fucked.

I mean, we are, but that ain't why. Backing away from a two state solution is going to make people angry and that's what is going to aid in rising instability in the region. If the position of the US was the same, it wouldn't matter whatever idiot we had negotiating it because it's never going to happen until Israel gets their shit sorted out.

It just highlights how Trump sees things, and that nobody is probably ever going to step in to suggest something more sensible.

Trump: 'Oh, Israel. That's Jews, right? My step son is Jewish. He should do the peace negotiations.'

Someone like Mattis probably could successfully navigate this terrain, understanding the stakes involved... a dumbass like Kushner will just give Bibi whatever Bibi wants, and I'm sure the idea of the U.S. dropping support for a 2 state solution gives Bibi a chubby.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Speaking a day before Trump holds a White House meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, the official said peace was the ultimate goal.

"Whether that comes in the form of a two–state solution if that's what the parties want, or something else," the official said, adding that Trump would not try to "dictate" a solution.

Failure by a U.S. president to explicitly back a two-state solution would upend decades of U.S. policy embraced by Republican and Democratic administrations. It has long been the bedrock U.S. position for resolving the long-running Israeli-Palestinian conflict and has been at the core of international peace efforts.

Any sign of a softening of U.S. support for eventual Palestinian statehood could also anger the Muslim world, including Sunni Arab allies, which the Trump administration needs in the fight against Islamic State and to back efforts against Shi’ite Iran.

Trump considers Middle East peace a "high priority," the White House official said. The president has given his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, the job of negotiating a peace deal.

"We would want to work on it very quickly," the official said.

This sounds a lot like another case of the Trump team having no idea of how big a big foreign policy reversal they just hinted at and how big the consequences of such a signal would be.

They don't know anything, so they just speak in vague generalities. Do we support the two... Uh... Yeah, yeah, sure, we like the 2 steak solution, but y'know, if they want a different number of steaks that's great too, we just hope they'll buy great tasting Trump Steaks, whether that's 2 or 1 or 5!

Yup, that's basically the terrifying thing about Trump's foreign policy. It's not based in, like, facts or understanding. It's not just bad and built on macho strongman bullshit, it's literally utterly ignorant. They have no idea what kind of landmines they are stepping on.

• Options
    It's also possible that it's that particular official who wants to fuck over the Palestinians and he's* dropping these quotes as an attempt to sway or influence policy by making it into a headline. Which seems to be the way the Trump administration is going to be run: accomplish a fait accompli to your boss and hope he doesn't notice (and he probably won't).

*I would say "he or she" but this is the Trump administration, it's a he.

This discussion has been closed.