As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Foreign Policy in the Age of Trump

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Couscous wrote: »
    OANN correspondent:
    twitter.com/TreyYingst/status/856635265972154368
    Trump is going to put a 20% tariff on soft lumber entering the US from Canada.

If this reminds you of a similar Bush administration action in 2002, wow, you have a good memory for trade disputes.

It's actually much worse!

In 2002 the USA wasn't dependent on Canada's oil

It's okay though, I can hear the Trumples saying, the USA is a net oil exporter and Trump probably thinks that means what the news media thinks it means (it does not mean what the news media thinks it means)

override367 on
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    You gotta get that lumber hard before we'll take it. None of that soft shit.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Follow-up article: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-usa-idUSKBN17Q06N

Right now, just more sanctions.

Since when is a call for more UN sanctions grounds for calling the US Senate to the White House?

Since Trump has nothing else?

And has no idea what he's doing

Well, he's in good company.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    House aides apparently are working to get a similar meeting at the WH.

So...bets on this being a briefing to get a declaration of war?

Congress hasn't formally declared war on another nation since 1941. Without an attack on the US directly or very close ally by a foreign adversary's military I don't see us ever doing it again.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

Congress hasn't formally declared war on another nation since 1941. Without an attack on the US directly or very close ally by a foreign adversary's military I don't see us ever doing it again.

This is how things are normally done and probably doesn't apply to what we're actually going to do.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Follow-up article: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-usa-idUSKBN17Q06N

Right now, just more sanctions.

Since when is a call for more UN sanctions grounds for calling the US Senate to the White House?
    The Senate is kind of confused about that as well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/04/24/senate-staff-perplexed-by-unusual-white-house-private-briefing-on-north-korea/
    Senate staff perplexed by unusual White House private briefing on North Korea
    The White House announced Monday it would host an unusual private briefing on North Korea for the entire U.S. Senate, prompting questions from lawmakers over whether the Trump administration intends to use the event as a photo op ahead of his 100-day mark.
    Yet the location at the White House perplexed lawmakers who have grown accustomed to such briefings taking place in a secure location on Capitol Hill, where there is more room to handle such a large group.

Past administrations have often held briefings for smaller groups of about two dozen or fewer lawmakers in the White House Situation Room. But they have traditionally sent high-level aides to Capitol Hill to hold discussions with larger groups in secure, underground locations.
    Another senior aide, who also requested anonymity, said it was Trump’s idea to hold the meeting at the White House.

“I heard this came from Trump himself, that in a nutshell he said, ‘why don’t we have them up here instead?’” the aide said.
    Congressional staffers suggested that the briefing’s proximity to Trump would make it easy for him to “drop by” and perhaps take over the briefing.

The image of senators meeting with Trump at the White House on a top national security concern could be touted by the White House as a key moment in the run-up to Trump’s first 100 days in office — a milestone the president has mocked in recent days but that his administration is working aggressively to promote.

This is the most plausible reason I can think of

Cause uh

Is there even like

A secure auditorium in the WH for 100 people

Are they going to brief the senators in the movie theatre

@Hakkekage giant SCIFs are totally a thing. Some buildings are just one big SCIF!

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    OANN correspondent:
    twitter.com/TreyYingst/status/856635265972154368
    Trump is going to put a 20% tariff on soft lumber entering the US from Canada.

If this reminds you of a similar Bush administration action in 2002, wow, you have a good memory for trade disputes.

what a dipshit

edit: being in the architecture business, this does not enthuse me

Xaquin on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    What a Fucking asshole.
    As a Canadian living in basically lumber land this is going to piss off almost everyone I know...

Its also not going to make a God damned difference so it's solely to throw his "woo 'Merica!" dick around

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    So, uh... the "in any other administration this would be nothing" rule applies in reverse. Calling the whole Senate to a secure briefing would be bad under any other administration, but here it's just new sanctions on a country that already has all the sanctions ever?

I'm not sure I buy that's all, but goddamnit if it is Trump just wants to see all the people who have to come when he rings a bell, like a flock of budgerigars begging for crackers.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    This sounds like a lame CEO power play. "We have to make them come to ME!"

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular

Well the most foreign of foreign policy

• Options
    tyrannus wrote: »

This is how things are normally done and probably doesn't apply to what we're actually going to do.

It took the Bush administration months to spin intel enough to convince the Senate to authorize military action in Iraq. As desperate as the Trump is I can't imagine the Senate is anywhere near authorizing military action on a nuclear power.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular

I know it's immoral to wish someone dead, but what about senile? Would wishing for overnight senility be out of line?

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    It's funny to see how everyone in the same camera shot as trump always looks miserable

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

I know it's immoral to wish someone dead, but what about senile? Would wishing for overnight senility be out of line?

Monkey's paw rules say you might already have your wish

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »

It's the same reason he does everything he can in the Oval office.

C6bsNjmVAAACFnx.jpg

That is just awkward, but sitting behind the Resolute desk tells everyone who's boss.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

Highly illegal to put weapons in space. Longstanding treaties with basically everybody.

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    moniker wrote: »

C6bsNjmVAAACFnx.jpg

That is just awkward, but sitting behind the Resolute desk tells everyone who's boss.

To be honest, if it was purely a power play he wouldn't have them all center facing towards him. He would have them in the traditional orientation towards the desk that requires them to contort uncomfortably in order to face him while seated.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

Highly illegal to put weapons in space. Longstanding treaties with basically everybody.

He's just the President. You can't expect him to know that.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

It took the Bush administration months to spin intel enough to convince the Senate to authorize military action in Iraq. As desperate as the Trump is I can't imagine the Senate is anywhere near authorizing military action on a nuclear power.

While there is certainly a stronger case for war in NK then there was in Iraq, the simple fact of the matter is that there is no way to execute a war in Korea that doesn't simultaneously piss off every other power in the region and result in countless deaths of people in Seoul and us military personel stationed in the peninsula.

I'd like to think that the senate can see the inherent insanity of such a course of action and tell trump to get fucked no matter which side of the aisle they're seated in.

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »

While there is certainly a stronger case for war in NK then there was in Iraq, the simple fact of the matter is that there is no way to execute a war in Korea that doesn't simultaneously piss off every other power in the region and result in countless deaths of people in Seoul and us military personel stationed in the peninsula.

I'd like to think that the senate can see the inherent insanity of such a course of action and tell trump to get fucked no matter which side of the aisle they're seated in.

Bush was also at the helm of a nation that was still out for blood over 9/11. There is no objective way to spin ISIS as a domestic threat and until NK manages a missile that consistently doesn't blow up on the launch platform there's no argument for preemption there either. As crazy as NK's leadership is I think it's safe to say they'll wait till they're damn sure a delivery system is reliable before they strap a life warhead to it.

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »

C6bsNjmVAAACFnx.jpg

To be honest, if it was purely a power play he wouldn't have them all center facing towards him. He would have them in the traditional orientation towards the desk that requires them to contort uncomfortably in order to face him while seated.

You're assuming he's thoughtful enough to come up with that detailed of a psychological play.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular

Yeah but N. Korea will have to come to talk to the man who wrote the art of the deal when there is a Death Star in orbit.

Seriously. Counties got nukes and they got so out of control there were several moments in history where Man came within one bad decision to wiping ourselves off the face of the planet. The arms race to put weapons in space would be just as bad. You wouldn't even need nukes. Rocket propelled projectiles of enough mass would more or less hit the ground with such impact that you wouldn't need explosives. The kinetic force would be devastating for the area.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    OremLK wrote: »

C6bsNjmVAAACFnx.jpg

You're assuming he's thoughtful enough to come up with that detailed of a psychological play.

Yeah, Trump may be cunning - a strategic thinker he is not.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/07/25/donald-trumps-ghostwriter-tells-all
    In those days, Schwartz recalls, Trump was generally affable with reporters, offering short, amusingly immodest quotes on demand. Trump had been forthcoming with him during the New York interview, but it hadn’t required much time or deep reflection. For the book, though, Trump needed to provide him with sustained, thoughtful recollections. He asked Trump to describe his childhood in detail. After sitting for only a few minutes in his suit and tie, Trump became impatient and irritable. He looked fidgety, Schwartz recalls, “like a kindergartner who can’t sit still in a classroom.” Even when Schwartz pressed him, Trump seemed to remember almost nothing of his youth, and made it clear that he was bored. Far more quickly than Schwartz had expected, Trump ended the meeting.

Week after week, the pattern repeated itself. Schwartz tried to limit the sessions to smaller increments of time, but Trump’s contributions remained oddly truncated and superficial.

“Trump has been written about a thousand ways from Sunday, but this fundamental aspect of who he is doesn’t seem to be fully understood,” Schwartz told me. “It’s implicit in a lot of what people write, but it’s never explicit—or, at least, I haven’t seen it. And that is that it’s impossible to keep him focussed on any topic, other than his own self-aggrandizement, for more than a few minutes, and even then . . . ” Schwartz trailed off, shaking his head in amazement. He regards Trump’s inability to concentrate as alarming in a Presidential candidate. “If he had to be briefed on a crisis in the Situation Room, it’s impossible to imagine him paying attention over a long period of time,” he said.

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

C6bsNjmVAAACFnx.jpg

So he's just a tacky idiot that apparently won't use one of the undoubtedly countless conference rooms he has at his disposal.
    Aridhol wrote: »
    What a Fucking asshole.
    As a Canadian living in basically lumber land this is going to piss off almost everyone I know...

Its also not going to make a God damned difference so it's solely to throw his "woo 'Merica!" dick around

Just whyyyyy. I don't even. Were Canadian lumber imports really tanking the U.S. economy?

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

Yeah but N. Korea will have to come to talk to the man who wrote the art of the deal when there is a Death Star in orbit.

Seriously. Counties got nukes and they got so out of control there were several moments in history where Man came within one bad decision to wiping ourselves off the face of the planet. The arms race to put weapons in space would be just as bad. You wouldn't even need nukes. Rocket propelled projectiles of enough mass would more or less hit the ground with such impact that you wouldn't need explosives. The kinetic force would be devastating for the area.

OTOH, I'd be quite happy with the level of science funding necessary to create a fully armed and operational battle station.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    What a Fucking asshole.

Just whyyyyy. I don't even. Were Canadian lumber imports really tanking the U.S. economy?

Presumably this is his "retaliation" for the Canadian government allowing Canadian farmers to sell their milk at a more competitive price (due to removing an asinine restriction, which Republicans should love).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Softwood lumber has been a dispute since the 80s. It's "just" pretty typical international trade bitching. WTO had generally come down on the side of Canada iirc.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    What a Fucking asshole.

Presumably this is his "retaliation" for the Canadian government allowing Canadian farmers to sell their milk at a more competitive price (due to removing an asinine restriction, which Republicans should love).
    Could also just be the last person he spoke to before announcing that decision was negatively impacted by Canadian lumber imports.

Given his tendency to take on the last thing someone said to him, his wanting to be seen to be the friend of the "working man" (when it's not overly inconvenient), and him wanting to stick it to someone, that's as good a theory as any.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Space-militarisation? The poppies seem unreasonably tall, this year.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    The housing industry in the US isn't going to take kindly to this tariff. Last time they did something similar, it knocked the prices up for everything from plywood to studs to decks, pushing renovations and new home purchases out of reach for a lot of Americans. While this obviously sucks for Canada (our dollar dropped to a four month low overnight) it's going to impact a lot of people outside of the lumber industry too. Not to mention that it encourages Canada to push softwood lumber in the trade talks that are ongoing with China, as well as to be more resistant to US positions in NAFTA trade talks...

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular

Canada has made business for our dairy farmers in Wisconsin and other border states very difficult. We will not stand for this. Watch!

We have a trade surplus in agriculture with Canada

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    What is the argument for Canadian liberalization of dairy regulations being unfair in any way?

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    What is the argument for Canadian liberalization of dairy regulations being unfair in any way?

It's inconvenient for US dairy farmers. Trade with the US is only "fair" when it's convenient.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

Canada has made business for our dairy farmers in Wisconsin and other border states very difficult. We will not stand for this. Watch!

We have a trade surplus in agriculture with Canada

I wanna link a clip to the West Wing where they are talking about an invasion of Canada - but I can't find it.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Shorty wrote: »
    Technically, we never stopped being at war.

double technically, didn't we not actually start being at war?

Presumably the UN mission is still authorized and no UN member (except DPRK, the targeted belligerent) needs authorization to start shooting again.

The Soviet Union abstained in the Security Council vote for the Korean action and was not an active participant, so the Russian Federation can't legally, under the UN Charter start shooting or helping out either side without getting permission via a vote by the Security Council and General Assembly.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Technically, we never stopped being at war.

double technically, didn't we not actually start being at war?

Presumably the UN mission is still authorized and no UN member (except DPRK, the targeted belligerent) needs authorization to start shooting again.

And any effort to rescind the authorization would likely get vetoed unless something major changes in NK.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Picking fights with one of our closest allies over milk and lumber seems.....dumb

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Picking fights with one of our closest allies over milk and lumber seems.....par for the course

Both stupid and evil, but stupid is the default dialog choice.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Sad as it is, I feel there is ~0% chance that we don't already have some variety of this up there. There's all kinds of massive satellites of unknown 'military/intelligence' purposes up there. At the very least, I'm sure a few of them are capable of 'self destruction' to serve as orbital denial devices. There might not be, a 'rods from god' style platform, but I'm sure there are a few spy satellites which are over shielded and fueled such that they could make, and survive a powered re-entry.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
This discussion has been closed.