As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Foreign Policy in the Age of Trump

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    You know I bet Trump is loving this trip. He's getting fawned over (manipulated) by foreigners and doesn't have to face his own hostile press or deal with the dysfunction inside his White House. Would not be surprised to see him try to take more trips like this in the near future.

I dunno. He is notoriously averse to not "sleeping at home" and spending 15 hours in a plane, then sitting through (probably) boring (to him) meetings has got to be tough for an old man in his shape. I am completely unsurprised by the reports that he's 'exhausted' and wouldn't be surprised if he has some of his staffers actively trying to come up with reasons to cut it short. He tried to shorten it from 9 days to 5 beforehand and I doubt that's changed.

And he brought his White House with him, so all the bickering and stuff supposedly going on is probably still going on. Isn't the three-way War for Trump's Attention supposed to be between Preibus, Bannon, and Kushner? And now two of them are going home for reasons?

Did you see the all the ridiculous pomp and bullshit the Saudis did to suck up to him? It's feeding his ego in ridiculous ways. We also had a cabinet secretary (Ross, in this case, possibly the dumbest of this band of idiots) marvel about the lack of protesters. They love this shit.

Yeah but all this travel is really doing a number on his non-rechargeable battery so perhaps its a wash

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    You know I bet Trump is loving this trip. He's getting fawned over (manipulated) by foreigners and doesn't have to face his own hostile press or deal with the dysfunction inside his White House. Would not be surprised to see him try to take more trips like this in the near future.

I dunno. He is notoriously averse to not "sleeping at home" and spending 15 hours in a plane, then sitting through (probably) boring (to him) meetings has got to be tough for an old man in his shape. I am completely unsurprised by the reports that he's 'exhausted' and wouldn't be surprised if he has some of his staffers actively trying to come up with reasons to cut it short. He tried to shorten it from 9 days to 5 beforehand and I doubt that's changed.

And he brought his White House with him, so all the bickering and stuff supposedly going on is probably still going on. Isn't the three-way War for Trump's Attention supposed to be between Preibus, Bannon, and Kushner? And now two of them are going home for reasons?

Did you see the all the ridiculous pomp and bullshit the Saudis did to suck up to him? It's feeding his ego in ridiculous ways. We also had a cabinet secretary (Ross, in this case, possibly the dumbest of this band of idiots) marvel about the lack of protesters. They love this shit.

There aren't many countries like Saudi Arabia where that sort of response can be easily managed.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

Yeah but all this travel is really doing a number on his non-rechargeable battery so perhaps its a wash

Well you see everyone only has a limited amount of energy in their lives which is why you don't throw it away on stuff like exercise.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

If it weren't for Trump's Razor you'd think Ross's gawking at the lack of protestors would be sinister, in a "this is how it should be done" sort of way.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    This is probably a stupid question, but are any of the counties he's visiting on his list of banned flights?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    As I recall, Saudi was conspicuously absent, so no.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Oh, have we discussed the administration's goal of lasting peach?

Matthew Levitt is the Fromer-Wexler Fellow & Director Stein Counterterrorism Program, The Washington Institute.

Well, this might motivate Georgia voters.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    See, the peach represents a thing which everyone can agree on.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    dylmandylman Registered User regular
    Peach in our time?

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Spicer: "There was no peach-gate. Obviously a doctored photo."

Trump-tweet: "Fuck yeah, my plans for peach is the best. I am the best peach person. Ask anyone."

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Peaches are gross.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Politico writer with some strange news

!!! // ANKARA, Turkey (AP) - Turkey summons US ambassador to protest 'aggressive' action against Turkish bodyguards in Washington.

The same bodyguards that were beating up protesters

Wait, so Turkey wasn't just trying to get away with something and sweep it under the rug? They want the conflict to escalate? Are they british?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    They're pushing to see how far they can go before there's any resistance at all.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    they know that a real president would tell them to fuck off and say thank you for the opportunity to do so

and instead they're pushing back to see if this dude has the minerals to do so

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Peaches are gross.

They're the...pits.

So...that thing Trump did? Where he told the Russians about his great intelligence? (HA!) He never said it was Israel.

Got that? He said it. Just not 'Israel'.

Also, it's kind of hard to tell in the video, but it seems like he's just saying it without any prompting. Way to go!

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    they know that a real president would tell them to fuck off and say thank you for the opportunity to do so

and instead they're pushing back to see if this dude has the minerals to do so

Honestly, this might, maybe be the only sort of thing that can lose him protestors quickly. If he doesn't support Americans on American soil, that's bad. But then again, they'll probably be reasoned away as Soros-paid actors who are probably immigrants anyways trying tovintstigate for the cameras.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    or they'll suddenly become the world's most devout evangelists for realpolitik

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    They're pushing to see how far they can go before there's any resistance at all.

They also know that Trump likes him and his thuggishness.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Goumindong wrote: »

They also know that Trump likes him and his thuggishness.

Yeah, the only pushback they'll get is "That was amazing. How can I do that, too?"

In other news, I ran across an interesting story in The NYTimes on the 20th about US espionage gone wrong in China

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/20/world/asia/china-cia-spies-espionage.html
    The Chinese government systematically dismantled spying operations in the country starting in 2010, killing or imprisoning more than a dozen sources over two years and crippling intelligence gathering there for years afterward.

Current and former American officials described the intelligence breach as one of the worst in decades. It set off a scramble in Washington’s intelligence and law enforcement agencies to contain the fallout, but investigators were bitterly divided over the cause. Some were convinced that a mole within the C.I.A. had betrayed the United States. Others believed that the Chinese had hacked the covert system the C.I.A. used to communicate with its foreign sources. Years later, that debate remains unresolved.

But there was no disagreement about the damage. From the final weeks of 2010 through the end of 2012, according to former American officials, the Chinese killed at least a dozen of the C.I.A.’s sources. According to three of the officials, one was shot in front of his colleagues in the courtyard of a government building — a message to others who might have been working for the C.I.A.

Still others were put in jail. All told, the Chinese killed or imprisoned 18 to 20 of the C.I.A.’s sources in China, according to two former senior American officials, effectively unraveling a network that had taken years to build.

Loose lips sink ships, as they say, and there's a chance Trump could have sunk Israel's.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular

Matthew Levitt is the Fromer-Wexler Fellow & Director Stein Counterterrorism Program, The Washington Institute.

Long Live the Mushroom Kingdom.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Peaches are gross.

They're pretty much like Trump. Round, kinda orange, and have a heart of stone.
    PLA wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Politico writer with some strange news

!!! // ANKARA, Turkey (AP) - Turkey summons US ambassador to protest 'aggressive' action against Turkish bodyguards in Washington.

The same bodyguards that were beating up protesters

Wait, so Turkey wasn't just trying to get away with something and sweep it under the rug? They want the conflict to escalate? Are they british?

It's a demonstration. Erdogan is showing off his close ties with Trump to the rest of the world - and to the American diplomatic and intelligence structure he's been dealing with for years.

"See? Not only am I invited to the White House and praised by the American President, not only do I order my guards to beat protestors in full view of the American police on Embassy Row, but I can summon their ambassador to answer to me and their President will take my side."

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular

Long Live the Mushroom Kingdom.

Trump wasn't the first president of the USA to promote peaches.

https://youtu.be/wvAnQqVJ3XQ

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    CNN reporter:

I don't think anybody taught Trump how to make a respectful note.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    CNN reporter:

I don't think anybody taught Trump how to make a respectful note.

Though it appears someone taught him to sign Melania's name. I wonder if she had to adopt a brand-adjacent signature as part of a pre-nup.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    That may as well be a yearbook quote.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    That is a fucking tweet. And not a good one!

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I can't read Obama's. What does it say?

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    "It is humbling and inspiring to visit and remember the visionary who began the remarkable(?) establishment of the state of Israel. May our two countries possess the same vision and will to secure peace and prosperity for future generations."

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    It is humbling and inspiring to visit and remember the visionary who began the remarkable establishment of the State of Israel. May our two countries possess the same vision and will to secure peace and prosperity for future generations.

Barack Obama

Diplominator on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    It's hard to fully express how much that singular moment has embarrassed me about the person holding the presidency. More than anything that ever happened in the Bush Years.

I cannot fathom the kind of mind it takes to think that sort of message is appropriate in that book. He is the biggest moron in the universe.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Well there was the time W Bush was visiting a military hospital talking to soldiers sent home for having lost limbs due to mines and explosions, and while talking to a room full of amputee veterans joked about how he scratched himself cutting up a fallen tree on his ranch and the doctors might have to admit him.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Well there was the time W Bush was visiting a military hospital talking to soldiers sent home for having lost limbs due to mines and explosions, and while talking to a room full of amputee veterans joked about how he scratched himself cutting up a fallen tree on his ranch and the doctors might have to admit him.

Or the time he inappropriately touched Angela Merkle on camera.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The time that a bunch of German security personnel thought for a split second "I might have to shoot the president of the United States"

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    The time that a bunch of German security personnel thought for a split second "I might have to shoot the president of the United States"

What's the title of this Buzzfeed list?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    But that are two relatively minor incidents from 8 years of W.

On this trip alone Orange has:

- confirmed Israel as the source of the intel he blabbed to the Russians
    - basically said Israel is not part of the middle east
    - touched an orb during a ceremony for which he has blasted Hillary in the past via tweet
    - said he is too exhausted for something - after blasting Hillary all through the campaign for "not having the stamina to do the job"
    - wrote a message in book that 8 year old me would have been too embarrassed to write in a year book even back then

And that trip isn't over yet.

Jesus Tapdancing Christ. This fucking guy.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I put more effort in the office birthdays card for random coworker I've never met.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    It is humbling and inspiring to visit and remember the visionary who began the remarkable establishment of the State of Israel. May our two countries possess the same vision and will to secure peace and prosperity for future generations.

Barack Obama

Oh so now you're claiming Barack Obama established the State of Israel?

How typical of the liberal left wing propaganda ice cream sandwich making machine.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Far more alarming than the typo, is how consistently it is trying to align all the actors in the region against Iran instead of trying to reduce tensions.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    There are more wellcrafted shitposts in youtube-comments.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    These shitbirds can't even proofread their own copy. Jesus.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
This discussion has been closed.