As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Non-Russia related Corruption/Grift/Ethics Violations in the [Trump] Administration

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    That doesn't really sound like a great use of 800K, though.

Why not?

It's an informational campaign they felt would be useful, it costs about that much to pay for the production of the thing, and 800K is about what the federal government spends on thumbtacks per day.

Or about 13 hours of security at Mar-a-lago.

I'm not even a parent, but I know and have seen Sid the Science Kid, it would not be a wasteful effort.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Shockingly, Chaffetz has said there's no need for the Oversight Committee to investigate because the problem is "taking care of itself" and Nunes (chair of the Intelligence Committee) is more interested in who in the FBI leaked the transcripts.

So I guess this gets played out in leaks and in the media for a while longer instead of in Congress.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

I want to know how the cost of Trump's constant travels is calculated. Mainly because if I can cite actual paper trail costs via an FOIA request, it gives more teeth to my letters to members of Congress about standing up to Trump's frivolous expenditures that completely annihilate any supposed savings he'd generate from slashing important social programs.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    That preview image is... not very flattering.

Klieg lights and amateurishly applied base makeup are bad combinations for anyone.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Stop. Booking. Kellyanne. Conway. she's not going to explain anything you want her to explain, she will lie to your face, and she will leave your viewers less informed than they were before she came on. There is no value in inviting her on news shows anymore.

I think really this goes for anyone in the Trump administration.

The gamble is basically you know they are going to go out there and spew nonsense but you are getting them on the record with that nonsense. It has worked up to a point where you got her on air talking about alternative facts but at some point the utility of this ends and there is no longer any point booking them. Spicer and conway are really close to that mark now where the utility of talking to them and getting them to say utter provable lies or pure nonsense stops being useful.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Has this been posted yet? (parody video)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MZp93vI4VOg

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Vox reminds me what Flynn said at the RNC:

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/2/14/14609618/michael-flynn-trump-hillary-clinton
    On social media, a few Trump critics were quick to point out the hypocrisy that led Flynn to this moment. During the July 2016 Republican National Convention, in which Trump accepted his nomination to run for president, Flynn joined crowds in chanting, “Lock her up!” in reference to Hillary Clinton, who had been accused of mishandling classified information by using a private email server. As the crowd chanted, Flynn said, “If I did a tenth of what she did, I would be in jail today.” (The FBI later concluded that “no reasonable prosecutor” would bring a case against Clinton over the email issue.)

Well, then. I'm waiting.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Vox reminds me what Flynn said at the RNC:

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/2/14/14609618/michael-flynn-trump-hillary-clinton
    On social media, a few Trump critics were quick to point out the hypocrisy that led Flynn to this moment. During the July 2016 Republican National Convention, in which Trump accepted his nomination to run for president, Flynn joined crowds in chanting, “Lock her up!” in reference to Hillary Clinton, who had been accused of mishandling classified information by using a private email server. As the crowd chanted, Flynn said, “If I did a tenth of what she did, I would be in jail today.” (The FBI later concluded that “no reasonable prosecutor” would bring a case against Clinton over the email issue.)

Well, then. I'm waiting.

In this brave new world of "alternative facts", you could still say he isn't wrong. If he did simply "1/10th" of what she did he'd be in jail, but considering he's done orders of magnitude more shit then she did as SecState, he's in the clear.

And I about gave my self an aneurysm thinking and typing that.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Speak of the devil;

This is pretty much the silliest attempt at deflection that I've ever seen. Also, slightly interesting word choice there. Not deal with North Korea, but deal on?

wtf

How is this a good response in any way?

'Well the REAL story is about how I hired such a shit biscuit snot-flinging circus that everyone is trying to stab each other in the back constantly and/or usurp my position! My cabinet is completely dysfunctional and there is zero trust among any of its members! That's the REAL story!'

I mean, sure Donald, if you want that to be the real story then I'm completely game.

Gee whiz, I wonder why all of your businesses fell apart and so you resort to scamming money out of people. It's such a mystery!

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

No, because the announcement specified not to.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Hey Donald

Free communications advice: don't admit that the leaks are factual

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

That is the President of the United States admitting that his administration leaks like a sieve.

Obama had leaks too, but not on this level. Donnie hires the best people!

Note the use of the word illegal rather than inaccurate. Frustrated that they are happening, rather than that they are presenting false information confirmed about him. Leaks confirmed as true! Trump weeps alone in ragged bathrobe, unable to understand why SNL doesn't like him and keeps making fun of him.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Stop. Booking. Kellyanne. Conway. she's not going to explain anything you want her to explain, she will lie to your face, and she will leave your viewers less informed than they were before she came on. There is no value in inviting her on news shows anymore.

I think really this goes for anyone in the Trump administration.

It's OK to book them, you just need to take a page from the UK media at its best.

"So, Kellyanne. You are a lying pile of excrement, without the worth I would assign my own skin shavings. What lies do you have for us today?"
    "Err.."
    "Oh shut up you ridiculous excuse for a couch cushion. Tell us why you and the President are so awful and corrupt?
    "We aren't, that's just.."
    "So more lies? Lets cut to this montage of you lying and then saying you didn't say things you said"
    "Stop it!"
    "Oh take a long walk off a short pier. And now, sports."

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Flynn couldn't make it in the White House as long as William Henry Harrison. That is quite the accomplishment.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Hey Donald

No please never learn this Donald, never.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    That doesn't really sound like a great use of 800K, though.

Why not?

It's an informational campaign they felt would be useful, it costs about that much to pay for the production of the thing, and 800K is about what the federal government spends on thumbtacks per day.

Edit: Like in general I try to remember that complaints about hundreds of thousands being "wasted" are like someone getting real hot and bothered about how I spent a penny. Particularly when I spent the penny on an educational campaign about a disease that was all over the news for a long time and probably scared kids.

Also $800K on a PBS character for a disease awareness campaign is probably a bargain. Creating a new campaign would probably be more expensive, and kids using their pester power is often a smart way to get adults to do things, like drain buckets and keep insect screens closed. You know how you could have saved a few bucks on buying that character though? You could have fully funded PBS and PBS news as a publically financed but independent broadcaster. Like the BBC.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Hey Donald

You had him at "free" -- which was also when he stopped listening.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Shockingly, Chaffetz has said there's no need for the Oversight Committee to investigate because the problem is "taking care of itself" and Nunes (chair of the Intelligence Committee) is more interested in who in the FBI leaked the transcripts.

So I guess this gets played out in leaks and in the media for a while longer instead of in Congress.

Fuck Jason Chaffetz. I hope he gets primaried by Evan McMullin or something.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017

Apologies!

To post something a bit more topical: I have been hearing from people in rural west Texas that the corruption is part of why they voted for Trump. They want the bull loose in the china shop.

When it comes to the new Republican politics, we are dealing with more than mere ignorance. We are dealing with willful blindness, and a majority of the populace convinced of lawbreaking by their leader is no longer enough to oust him.

The Democrats don't have the same rulebook because we disagree on a fundamental level whether facts are facts.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Apologies!

To post something a bit more topical: I have been hearing from people in rural west Texas that the corruption is part of why they voted for Trump. They want the bull loose in the china shop.

When it comes to the new Republican politics, we are dealing with more than mere ignorance. We are dealing with willful blindness, and a majority of the populace convinced of lawbreaking by their leader is no longer enough to oust him.

The Democrats don't have the same rulebook because we disagree on a fundamental level whether facts are facts.

They're in favor of corruption under Trump, because it's the good kind, or they were hoping he would excise it?

In this brave new world, I honestly do not know which way to parse the bolded.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    They see the federal government as an aristocracy and want to spoil it, to overfeed all the bad parts until something explodes

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    RhahRhah Registered User regular
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    They want it because it's their side stickin it to them libtards

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

Fuck Jason Chaffetz. I hope he gets primaried by Evan McMullin or something.

Without pulling the thread too far afield, a house seat might be beneath McMullin's ambitions at this point.

Roy Blunt is calling for Senate investigation into the Russia ties, we'll see if that goes anywhere.

• Options
    Rhah wrote: »

I can't wait to see how he handles questions about Flynn's resignation.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    They see the federal government as an aristocracy and want to spoil it, to overfeed all the bad parts until something explodes

The Creosote Gambit.

• Options
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

Maybe I jumped the gun. Youtube rec'ed it to me and it said started 3 mins ago when I posted... maybe that doesn't actually mean its coming soon but could be an hour still... I have no idea how these jabronis run things these days at the White House.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

Maybe I jumped the gun. Youtube rec'ed it to me and it said started 3 mins ago when I posted... maybe that doesn't actually mean its coming soon but could be an hour still... I have no idea how these jabronis run things these days at the White House.

There's a thread for Trump live events that's generally on top of the press conferences.
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/209713/trump-live-events/

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Oh yeah forgot about that thread when I was thinking about which to post it in. I failed at browsing forum topics. I was thinking all about corruption and Flynn

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Yep, all live press conference links should be part of the Live Events thread please!

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Yep, all live press conference links should be part of the Live Events thread please!

Since it falls within the corruption domain, congrats on being made a mod. :)

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

Since it falls within the corruption domain, congrats on being made a mod. :)

Ha, this topic also has its own thread!

Everything in its right place.

(thanks :))

• Options
    Well, technically I was only linking and watching today to hear about corruption and Flynn responses... but... since you're in charge, I'll let it slide this one time.

Hahaha, jk.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

A major reason for Reagan's popularity in the GOP in 1976 and then 1980 was that he kept saying Watergate wasn't a big deal. This is not new.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options

Apologies!

They're in favor of corruption under Trump, because it's the good kind, or they were hoping he would excise it?

In this brave new world, I honestly do not know which way to parse the bolded.

As long as it's their team winning, they see corruption as the victor taking the spoils. A reward for rolling back social progress or keeping taxes low on the rich. Because hypocrisy is basically a plank in the Republican platform now, this does not apply when a Democrat is in office.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Ethics office suggests disciplinary action for Conway over hawking Ivanka's products, per CNN.

Feeling like a Happy Valentine's Day from angry bureaucracy careerists.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Ethics office suggests disciplinary action for Conway over hawking Ivanka's products, per CNN.

Trump is going to resist even having a slap on the wrist.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    nothing will happen to her

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Trump is going to resist even having a slap on the wrist.

"I've reviewed it and decided that it's nothing, and even if it was something, she's learned her lesson."

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    nothing will happen to her

Too bad the GOP controlled Congress decided checks and balances should only exist if the GOP doesn't control both the presidency and congress.

This discussion has been closed.