As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Congress CXV: Absurdly long special election edition

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Pretty funny since they've harped on the Pelosi "vote on it to see what's in it" line for 7 yearas now

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    They still do, they are out there still parroting that line when they talk about their own plan.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    GOP members of the relevant committee get to see the health care bill in a secret meeting today. Can't make copies though because god forbid the public know. They're also probably going to end up voting on it without it being scored and it remains unclear if Democrats will get to see it at all before the committee vote. What democracy?

http://theslot.jezebel.com/members-of-congress-went-on-a-scavenger-hunt-for-the-g-1792903245

My brain is dripping right out of my nostrils.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Who says Politics can't be fun.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    A view into the perspective of a Rep attempting to clarify their reasoning on why they're getting rid of the ACA. Spoilers: It has to do with Jesus.

..and then Jesus wept.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    That is like literally the opposite of Christ.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    What you shall do to the least among you, well do it in my name because Lord knows you can't defend that shit with logic, reason or even basic compassion.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    I like the idea that poor people can't do things like take better care of themselves or get preventative care because they suck, not because you know they work shitty jobs where you can't take time off/afford to eat better/exercise more often.

Like everything that guy says is from a position of astounding privilege and I don't think he's ever met one of the working poor.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    ...Jesus wasn't saying, "There will always be poor people, so why even try? Fuck 'em."

In fact he did say that the way you treat the least of us is how you are treating him, so really by fucking over the poor and downtrodden the GOP is in fact fucking their Lord and Savior.

Real Jesus was pretty cool. GOP Jesus can sit and spin.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

Even as an atheist, i kinda want Jesus to come back, walk into Congress, and go all table-flipping on them.

I will also settle for Willem Dafoe flipping tables.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I like the idea that poor people can't do things like take better care of themselves or get preventative care because they suck, not because you know they work shitty jobs where you can't take time off/afford to eat better/exercise more often.

Like everything that guy says is from a position of astounding privilege and I don't think he's ever met one of the working poor.

It also ignores the fact that poverty is an economic state (that is often temporary) rather than a state of being.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

It also ignores the fact that poverty is an economic state (that is often temporary) rather than a state of being.

Don't worry, they're working diligently to get rid of the temporary part.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

Even as an atheist, i kinda want Jesus to come back, walk into Congress, and go all table-flipping on them.

Pull a South Carolina and start hitting people with a cane. Get all 1850s in there.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

And that they people he's talking about were covered by Medicaid pre expansion. The majority of people the ACA affects have jobs!

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Yes Marshall, people use the emergency room because they want to wait get charged $1000 for some asprin and amoxicillin for their flu. It's not because they can't take a day off from their job without losing out on food or rent for the month. And god forbid they want to live an actual life rather than live like a monk to juggle possibly multiple full-time jobs while driving themselves deeper into debt with schooling for maybe the chance of landing a half-way decent job where they do get the flexibility to take that time off. It's of course not that they can't, but it's Jesus' will that they're poor, slovenly ingrates and if they're too stupid to live, then they should hurry up die so the rest of us can divvy up their stuff.

Good God Almighty, it's almost enough to make me a practicing Christian again just so I can pray for these hypocrites and madmen to have swift justice visited on them.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular

To me it says, "Fine. We get it. We're not going to even try using reason anymore because you keep backing us into corners we can't get out of. We can't even use our religion because you've gone and read the damned books. So we're just going to start talking in code to keep you running in circles pointing out everything we mean instead of simply opposing us."

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »

Pull a South Carolina and start hitting people with a cane. Get all 1850s in there.

That was a proslavery thug, just to be clear.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I believe at one point the pope issued a statement against building a wall, isolationism, and working to stop climate change. I think the response was something to the effect “No leader, especially a religious leader, has the right to question another man’s religion or faith,”

Even if Jesus appeared in congress, I doubt it would make a difference. It would be like no son of god gets to tell us about religion etc.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    I believe at one point the pope issued a statement against building a wall, isolationism, and working to stop climate change. I think the response was something to the effect “No leader, especially a religious leader, has the right to question another man’s religion or faith,”

Even if Jesus appeared in congress, I doubt it would make a difference. It would be like no son of god gets to tell us about religion etc.

At least Pilate had sentenced an actual criminal before the crowd called for him to release Barabbas. This Congress would be screaming for an investigation into what that damn Jesus did during his term in heaven and Barabbas would be the Senator from Kentucky.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Qanamil wrote: »

That was a proslavery thug, just to be clear.

Yeah, and actually, violence even against the current class of Republicans was in poor taste, my apologies.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    sometimes I do honestly wish that the House would just turn into a huge brawl like the Japanese Diet has been known to do

like I know it's incorrect but I also would like to see Pelosi clock some dude

maybe Pramila Jayapal breaks a chair over louie gohmert

Shorty on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    sometimes I do honestly wish that the House would just turn into a huge brawl like the Japanese Diet has been known to do

like I know it's incorrect but I also would like to see Pelosi clock some dude

maybe Pramila Jayapal breaks a chair over louie gohmert

>Get [Mace of the United States House of Representatives]

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    That C&D looks totally toothless

"Yes, hello, Capitol Police?

I asked my constituents to stop talking to me, but they keep doing it!

Yes I'll hold."

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    The main problem with the Pope statements about the US is that people expect that the leader of the Vatican's word has any weight whatsoever on a Protestant country.

• Options
    America's not supposed to be an anything country.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    America's not supposed to be an anything country.

And yet.

• Options
    I don't think people wouldn't listen to the pope because of his religion its because he disagreed with them. Had nothing to do with america being a "protestant" country

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    It has a little bit to do with it. Especially since a good portion of representatives are of a protestant denomination (nominally).

the us might not be supposed to be a christian nation, but ask anybody from another religious group and.. well, yeah. It is.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Even if you aren't Catholic, the Pope is technically the head of a sovereign nation.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "How many divisions does the Pope have?"

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

Currenty, 1 company of Swiss Guard.

Largest papal army was around 10-12k under Julius II during the War of the Holy League in the 16th century.

Most famous single action by a Vatican military force was 189 Swiss Guard doing a rear holding action in 1527 so Clement VII could flee to the safety of Castel Saint-Angelo when a Cardinal loyal to HRE Charles V sacked Rome and the Vatican hill with a bunch of Spanish mercenaries.

I don't think Truman or Stalin would be quaking in their boots.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

Currenty, 1 company of Swiss Guard.

Largest papal army was around 10-12k under Julius II during the War of the Holy League in the 16th century.

Most famous single action by a Vatican military force was 189 Swiss Guard doing a rear holding action in 1527 so Clement VII could feel to the safety of Castel Saint-Angelo when a Cardinal loyal to HRE Charles V sacked Rome and the Vatican hill with a bunch of Spanish mercenaries.

I don't think Truman or Stalin would be quaking in their boots.

Stalin might. The sainted Pope John Paul II gets some credit for the collapse of the USSR in Poland.

• Options
    This seems like a particularly slow start to a new administration. Especially with unified control of Congress and the Executive. There have only been 8 laws passed, half of which are rescinding regulations.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    This seems like a particularly slow start to a new administration. Especially with unified control of Congress and the Executive. There have only been 8 laws passed, half of which are rescinding regulations.

The executive doesn't effectively communicate anything to the congress and spews policy views and rhetoric via twitter and other avenues that seemingly vacillates more than a high strung chihuahua that got into Heisenberg's meth. They're seemingly a deer in headlights because they don't have any clue what Donald, Bannon, or any of the other powers that be really seem to want, how to construct bills that won't get shredded in the courts immediately, and the mountains of bad publicity and public outcry that a few EO's have generated have to have them second guessing trying to ram just anything through for fear of a straw finally breaking the camels back hard enough that they become vulnerable as hell come 2018 or before.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    It sounds like they're bound and determined to get ACA killed by the end of the month, mostly by daring the Freedom Caucus to get caught voting to save Obamacare (in lieu of their desire for something more extreme than the Ryan plan).

The better idea would've been restoring earmarks and just bribing out enough of the Freedom Caucus to get to 218 votes. The whole point of the FC is that they don't understand political strategy.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

The executive doesn't effectively communicate anything to the congress and spews policy views and rhetoric via twitter and other avenues that seemingly vacillates more than a high strung chihuahua that got into Heisenberg's meth. They're seemingly a deer in headlights because they don't have any clue what Donald, Bannon, or any of the other powers that be really seem to want, how to construct bills that won't get shredded in the courts immediately, and the mountains of bad publicity and public outcry that a few EO's have generated have to have them second guessing trying to ram just anything through for fear of a straw finally breaking the camels back hard enough that they become vulnerable as hell come 2018 or before.

Also, they've been able to skate by for most of the past 8 years doing very little other than reacting to the sekrit mooslim Neegra President and not letting him have anything he wanted. Now they're in the position of having to do their actual jobs again - pass legislation, not just obstruct obstruct obstruct - and back up their big claims that they could totally do a better job than the other guys - so far it's looking like, no, actually, they can't.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular

And thank fuck for that.

If we get out of this with a repairable un-fascist government, foreign relations, etc, then we'll have been lucky they were so incompetent.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Label wrote: »

And thank fuck for that.

If we get out of this with a repairable un-fascist government, foreign relations, etc, then we'll have been lucky they were so incompetent.

Seriously their total incompetence is the only thing that will save us right now, and that is God Damned terrifying

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Label wrote: »

And thank fuck for that.

Seriously their total incompetence is the only thing that will save us right now, and that is God Damned terrifying

TBH, it might also be the only reason they are trying.

If you were bent on gathering as much power and wealth as possible and were smart about it, you'd probably be better off in some kind of business role. Maybe something in big data. Something where you didn't have the press hounding you day and night.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Hello Forum Pennsylvanians!

Your Senator, one Pat Toomey, seems to have been a bit of a coward lately when it comes to hearing and talking to his constituents. No town halls, only taking a few phone calls, maybe, and just plain ignoring the people he represents.

But no more! He has decided to stop being a coward.

He is going to be on CBS3 on Monday afternoon for a live "social media discussion". The local station's anchor will be reading questions from the Facebook Live video. Here's a link to the story, but there is autoplay video on the page.

This discussion has been closed.