As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo] Finished Zelda? Why don't you play...hang on, gimme a second...

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Was there a strong bad adventure game at some point, or did I dream that?

Telltale did an entire season of Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People

Released for the Wii!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I played the first episode of that
    It was fine? I guess

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People

but you can play too!

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    When I played Strong Bad's Cool Game etc. I had the strong sense that the player character should have been Homestar, not Strong Bad

I don't think I can really back this opinion up with anything that's just how I remember feeling

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I played the first episode of that
    It was fine? I guess

The only one I played was the Dangeresque 3 episode. It was consistently, "yeah, ok, this is mildly funny. I can play this." up until the grand finale, which could have easily been adapted into one of the better cartoons on the website.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So did the NES Classic just never come back in stock after whatever was available at release? Was it a one-time thing, or has Nintendo said anything at all about ever making more?

I've kept an eye on Amazon and other stores, news sites and threads here, and never heard anything after the first month.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Nintendo has a habit of under-stocking big new things, if they aren't 100% certain the market will eat it up.

Surprised to hear it's STILL hard to find, though.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    all the manufacturing money is being put towards switch

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    So did the NES Classic just never come back in stock after whatever was available at release? Was it a one-time thing, or has Nintendo said anything at all about ever making more?

I've kept an eye on Amazon and other stores, news sites and threads here, and never heard anything after the first month.

They restocked on amazon the week before the switch released. It sold out in about 15-20 minutes. I don't know beyond that.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    The NES Classic was clearly a holiday stop-gap to "make up" for the fact they had basically no new software for their existing systems.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Apparently, based on initial sales, Nintendo is ramping up production of the Switch. They're aiming to produce 10 million through the next fiscal year

If they have decent sellthrough, it'll mean the Switch will end up outselling the Wii U in a year and change

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Yeowch!

Sounds like there'll be a decent chance of a good bundle near the holidays, then.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Apparently, based on initial sales, Nintendo is ramping up production of the Switch. They're aiming to produce 10 million through the next fiscal year

If they have decent sellthrough, it'll mean the Switch will end up outselling the Wii U in a year and change

Wait you mean like the entire run of the Wii U?

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Wait you mean like the entire run of the Wii U?

The Wii U ended up selling around 14 million units or some other low-ass number that's about a third less than the Gamecube

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Ran into a weird issue last night where it's like the system OS became unresponsive but I was still able to play the game.

Capture and Home buttons wouldn't work, power button wouldn't put it into sleep mode, all I could do was hold the power button for 10 or so seconds to completely power the system off and back on again and that fixed it.

• Options

But I thought the Switch was the last gasp of a dying company

Aren't they going to pull a Sega and go third party any day now

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular

I actually really like that Tingle plush

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    third party? nintendo's so doomed they'll cause all the other game consoles to fail with them when they go, which is going to happen any second now

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    On a related note this article is a few months old but made me go arrggghhh

Nintendo should unswitch the Switch to avoid a Kinect-astrophe - New system's bundled "home" kit already appears to be the worst of all worlds.

It's like yeah, that's what Nintendo should do, get rid of the main selling point of the system

• Options
    LMAO they think the Switch's strength is portable mode...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

You clearly haven't brought a switch on an airplane yet.

• Options
    The beauty of the switch is whichever mode you like the most is the best mode, but it doesn't matter which mode that is because they're all good.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    The switches strength is having Zelda on it.

presumably they could add additional strengths eventually, but for the moment, that's it for me

no regrets either, the system is worth it for just that.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    rhylith wrote: »

I've played an undocked Switch. It is an improvement over a Wii U but if it is intended as a "portable first" device they missed hard.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    On a related note this article is a few months old but made me go arrggghhh

Nintendo should unswitch the Switch to avoid a Kinect-astrophe - New system's bundled "home" kit already appears to be the worst of all worlds.

It's like yeah, that's what Nintendo should do, get rid of the main selling point of the system

Ars's switch coverage has been a bit odd.

• Options

I've played an undocked Switch. It is an improvement over a Wii U but if it is intended as a "portable first" device they missed hard.

It's a "whatever you want it to be" device.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    The Switch was clearly designed with rooftop parties in mind before anything else.

• Options

It's a "whatever you want it to be" device.

If that were the case it would be a very different machine altogether.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    On the gaming podcasts I listen to it seems like a fairly even split between people using it primarily in docked and undocked modes, and they seem pretty happy with the hardware either way. If you only care about one mode then maybe it's not perfectly optimized to you, but I do think they nailed it with it being useable in both

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    They did an okay job at making a jack of all trades, master of none, but I'd rather have two devices that excel at their given purposes.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    that person insinuated that the second screen on the ds/3ds was not good for anything. opinion: discarded

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I haven't had a single moment of "man this isn't doing that good of a job" in any usage. Caveat: I only play shovel knight

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Jars wrote: »
    that person insinuated that the second screen on the ds/3ds was not good for anything. opinion: discarded

I despise when that second screen is used for anything other than menu management because I am left-handed.

The joystick is also on the left.

Madican on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    It works absolutely as a portable device first and that's that.

Did I do the thing right? The thing where we express our opinion as fact over and over again snootily?

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »

Did I do the thing right? The thing where we express our opinion as fact over and over again snootily?

We're all discussing our new toy like adults. I have no idea what you're doing.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    I haven't had a single moment of "man this isn't doing that good of a job" in any usage. Caveat: I only play shovel knight

This checks out. I've had a fantastic time with it in portable mode on Shovel Knight. I've been much less impressed with Breath of the Wild, though.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »

Yes good job I liked the use of "and that's that", a classic

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    With the exception of the system level stuff becoming unresponsive last night, and that's the first time it's happened to me, I've had no problems with the system. Took it with me on my trip and I was surprised how well the battery held up actually, and by how fast it charges.

• Options
    I've had a soft lock (controls stopped responding but game was clearly still running in the background) once, and that's playing pretty much every day and never fully shutting down. I'm a little worried that it's gonna be a Thing where you gotta exit games somewhat regularly to prevent stuff like that but it could also very easily just be a firmware thing that can be easily updated in the future (we're years of stability updates behind Wii U and 3DS after all) so it's not a huge deal, I don't think.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I've had what maybe felt like input lag playing on the tv but it's really hard to tell and only because shovel knight is a very twitchy game.

This discussion has been closed.