As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Judeau [chat]

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Fuck, I'm so sorry override. :(

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    venting emotional rant in spoilers stay away
    my cat just died tonight, my mom called me on my way home and told me he was dying in her arms, he's been sick for. months. and hes not an old cat! I've told her every single time I've gone down there please for the love of god take him to the vet

every time, OH I CANT AFFORD IT well take him and send me the bill and ill pay it

I have so few friends so few people who care about me and I loved that cat so much, and he loved me, every time I visit her house he snuggles, and I couldn't have him here because I couldn't afford the pet deposit

if only I'd found a way to pay it and had him here and taken care of him he'd be fine, I don't even know what he's sick from, I can't sleep my heart is just pounding in my chest and just

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

I can't compose myself or calm down, I'm stuck in an infinite feedback loop of self loathing and then more self loathing for being so fucking pathetic and then anger at my mom and then anger at myself for being angry at her because I know she's sad too

hugs man :(

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Override :bro:

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Should be looking at notes but no

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    my cat just died tonight, my mom called me on my way home and told me he was dying in her arms, he's been sick for. months. and hes not an old cat! I've told her every single time I've gone down there please for the love of god take him to the vet

every time, OH I CANT AFFORD IT well take him and send me the bill and ill pay it

I have so few friends so few people who care about me and I loved that cat so much, and he loved me, every time I visit her house he snuggles, and I couldn't have him here because I couldn't afford the pet deposit

if only I'd found a way to pay it and had him here and taken care of him he'd be fine, I don't even know what he's sick from, I can't sleep my heart is just pounding in my chest and just

I can't compose myself or calm down, I'm stuck in an infinite feedback loop of self loathing and then more self loathing for being so fucking pathetic and then anger at my mom and then anger at myself for being angry at her because I know she's sad too

I'm so so sorry. :(

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    Delmain wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Just so we are clear we are talking about bash natively on Windows, that was teased a year ago or so not some weird hacked together thing, right?

yeah, I was workin' on this actually so I wasn't looking at chat

http://www.howtogeek.com/249966/how-to-install-and-use-the-linux-bash-shell-on-windows-10/

it is legit baked-in bash via ubuntu on windows, which is a tiny ubuntu kernel running inside windows 10. It isn't a VM, it is a reproduction of the necessary functionality in windows

the link above shows all you need to do to get started, but it involves enabling dev mode on Windows, then installing a Windows component from Programs and Features

it works pretty well, I'm already messing around with a JS thing in chrome on it

what's it mean to enable dev mode

you can install non-signed applications

the process is laid out in that howtogeek link

does the linux stuff pay attention to the windows security?

last time I ran linux in windows, back in XP, they just mounted the c: partition as system, and linux could read and write anywhere it wanted.

not, like, anyone is going to bother to try to exploit it, but it is pretty gross from a security standpoint...ish.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Twitch.tv/onthelastcastle

Vermintide w shark and elki!!!

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

one of my cats died of old age last month and uh if it's any consolation I didn't feel any less horrendously guilty or shitty or helpless about it

what you are feeling is normal and okay and you did what you could

i know not knowing is terrible but it's important to remember that these are fragile creatures and it is honestly entirely possible that the vet would have simply told you o yeah your cat needs dialysis once a week for forever lol

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    nice, del, i can't imagine that my company blocks that off

i'll put it on the todo list

sig.gif
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    @jacobkosh, @atomika, @Preacher

So I was thinking about exposition in John Wick. And both films really avoid the shit out of it with the exception of one scene:

https://youtu.be/soAofAWEpGU

So I started looking at it because it's an outlier. And in film generally an outlier is either something that really works or really fails. I think that scene is extremely effective so I wanted to break down why that is. And one of the things that stands out with it is the action and how it reflects back on the exposition. This particular bit of exposition is designed to do two things. First is establish John as someone it was fucking stupid to fuck with. And to create a bit of dramatic tension.

So there was somethings that stand out to me. One is that the sound editing in John Wick is really, really clean. But when John Wick goes down the stairs, the sound is distorted. And that sound distortion and emphasis is there through out the whole scene. And it works really well with calling him the Baba Yaga. This scene really is an anomoly because it follows a lot of horror style motifies. The haunting music, the sound of him walking down the stairs, the sound of the sledgehammer with each point Viggo makes.

And these horror motifs really build into something here. Viggo isn't telling us John's history as much as he's telling a ghost story. Right down to making Dean Winter's character jump. Visually it builds into it. I talked yesterday about color in John Wick. Serious bad guys get a bit of red. Those helping out of the life get gold. Those who are support people for this underworld get a bit of white. But John in this scene has more than a bit of white and that bit of red. He's a ghost, and a bit of the villain in the ghost story.

Continuing to the line "The body's he buried that day...." as John is literally digging up his past. A ghost clawing it's way out of a grave. Borrowing the horror motifs for all of these things gives John Wick a supernatural element. That hint of Michael Myers. To his character. A certain element that reinforces what we see in the fight scenes. He just keeps coming. In that same way that no matter how fast you ran from Michael Myers, he's right there. And it ends with Viggo attempting to reason with him. To try to settle this without violence only to get the response of silence.

There is a moment that calls back to this later. When Viggo is talking with John about how their misdeeds have tainted those around them and that they are cursed. John replies "On that we agree."

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    I'm watching the video suicide squad's editing! morningword

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    I love VBA and it makes me wanna just go into comp sci :( fuck fuck fuck

if my compensation meeting doesn't go as well as I want then I'll just say fuck it and quiiiiiiiiit

you
    love
    vba?

The trump of scripting languages?

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I have to write some VBA tomorrow for some bullshit

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    some MMA analyst nerds did a whole write up on which president would win in a fight

based on the shape and age they were in when they first took office and then factoring who they were and what is known about them and so on

the winner overall was Lincoln by a country fucking mile. while some presidents (Roosevelt, Jackson) are popularly considered tough bastards or cartoonishly masculine, Lincoln was a former boxer and tough as fucking nails even at the age he became president.

Motherfucker could do that sledge hammer touch your nose thing when he was president.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    I'm sorry to hear that Override.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Gas Punk Mecha-FDR all the way

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    You don’t need to use sudo, as you’re given a root shell. The “root” user on UNIX platforms has full system access, like the “Administrator” user on Windows.
    You’ll need to use the apt-get command to install and update the Ubuntu environment’s software. Be sure to prefix these commands with “sudo”, which makes them run as root–the Linux equivalent of Administrator. Here are the apt-get commands you’ll need to know:

am i missing something

sig.gif
  • Options
    I am lost on a show exploring pizza in the US.

https://youtu.be/BmiQRvib3DQ

Connecticut has pizza?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

if my compensation meeting doesn't go as well as I want then I'll just say fuck it and quiiiiiiiiit

you
    love
    vba?

it's either that or do fucking it all manually 5 times

it hurts me but I'm not allowed anything better

• Options
    Oh and I forgot to mention it. Baba Yaga. It comes from Slavic folklore, generally most nerds will remember her as the crone with the house on chicken legs. As a figure she can be someone who does something for you, or kills you. But when she does something for you, there is often a price. It's fitting.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I am lost on a show exploring pizza in the US.

https://youtu.be/BmiQRvib3DQ

Connecticut has pizza?

Wood fired tends to be popular on the west side of the state, greek style on the east side.

• Options
    arch, my way was hacked together

sig.gif
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

you
    love
    vba?

it's either that or do fucking it all manually 5 times

it hurts me but I'm not allowed anything better

What about the powerful shell?

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

one of my cats died of old age last month and uh if it's any consolation I didn't feel any less horrendously guilty or shitty or helpless about it

what you are feeling is normal and okay and you did what you could

i know not knowing is terrible but it's important to remember that these are fragile creatures and it is honestly entirely possible that the vet would have simply told you o yeah your cat needs dialysis once a week for forever lol
    I'm almost certain he died from allergies, every year he gets sick, every year he goes to the vet and gets a cortisone shot, and he gets better

this year he didn't get a cortisone shot and he died

I think it's going to be a long, lonely time until I'm cool seeing my mother

which means it's going to be a long time before I really see anybody

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Recently, there was an interview with Keanu on Nerdist.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I still think it's silly that they conflate boogeyman with baba yaga.

They also call him the boogeyman in the original dub, right?

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    @jacobkosh, @atomika, @Preacher

So I was thinking about exposition in John Wick. And both films really avoid the shit out of it with the exception of one scene:

https://youtu.be/soAofAWEpGU

So I started looking at it because it's an outlier. And in film generally an outlier is either something that really works or really fails. I think that scene is extremely effective so I wanted to break down why that is. And one of the things that stands out with it is the action and how it reflects back on the exposition. This particular bit of exposition is designed to do two things. First is establish John as someone it was fucking stupid to fuck with. And to create a bit of dramatic tension.

So there was somethings that stand out to me. One is that the sound editing in John Wick is really, really clean. But when John Wick goes down the stairs, the sound is distorted. And that sound distortion and emphasis is there through out the whole scene. And it works really well with calling him the Baba Yaga. This scene really is an anomoly because it follows a lot of horror style motifies. The haunting music, the sound of him walking down the stairs, the sound of the sledgehammer with each point Viggo makes.

And these horror motifs really build into something here. Viggo isn't telling us John's history as much as he's telling a ghost story. Right down to making Dean Winter's character jump. Visually it builds into it. I talked yesterday about color in John Wick. Serious bad guys get a bit of red. Those helping out of the life get gold. Those who are support people for this underworld get a bit of white. But John in this scene has more than a bit of white and that bit of red. He's a ghost, and a bit of the villain in the ghost story.

Continuing to the line "The body's he buried that day...." as John is literally digging up his past. A ghost clawing it's way out of a grave. Borrowing the horror motifs for all of these things gives John Wick a supernatural element. That hint of Michael Myers. To his character. A certain element that reinforces what we see in the fight scenes. He just keeps coming. In that same way that no matter how fast you ran from Michael Myers, he's right there. And it ends with Viggo attempting to reason with him. To try to settle this without violence only to get the response of silence.

There is a moment that calls back to this later. When Viggo is talking with John about how their misdeeds have tainted those around them and that they are cursed. John replies "On that we agree."

I really missed Viggo in the second. There's a wonderful bit of comic relief in Chapter Two's introduction with Viggo's brother, but as we find out more and more about the world, we lose some of that horror story element.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    seBonSI.jpg

Yes, Elementary School Teacher. It's not your fault if kids are not taught facts. it's the kids fault.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Star-wars-prequels-onblack2.jpg

nibXTE7.png
  • Options

They don't. And I'm suspect it's intentional. Iosief is Americanized and he sees the Baba Yaga as a story to frighten children. An boogeyman. Which is kind of generic in a way. And Viggo then compares him more directly with the Baba Yaga. Removing the generic aspect and making him into a specific monster.

• Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »

They don't. And I'm suspect it's intentional. Iosief is Americanized and he sees the Baba Yaga as a story to frighten children. An boogeyman. Which is kind of generic in a way. And Viggo then compares him more directly with the Baba Yaga. Removing the generic aspect and making him into a specific monster.

Well dang.

i have some torches to light.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

Say what?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    I think you can make an argument that the first John Wick, not so much the second, is a horror movie from the monster's perspective.

• Options

Say what?

I see most movies dubbed in French because my dad does not understand English.

• Options
    pls don't talk about john wick 2 in chat yet!

sig.gif
  • Options

Say what?

I see most movies dubbed in French because my dad does not understand English.

Oh, interesting!

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    tumblr_o4m8zf7WEt1rvzucio1_500.jpg

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    tumblr_o4m8zf7WEt1rvzucio1_500.jpg

No. This is not good.

Rattlesnakes are bad.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.