As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Do you sleeve your cards?

KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACKInternetModerator mod
Not just with CCGs where you're protecting investment. What about non-collectible card games like Munchkin or CaH, or board games that have decks of cards with them?

Do you personally sleeve non-collectible games? Do you know anyone who does?

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Depends on the game. If there is a lot of shuffling involved then I sleeve them (deck builders in particular I try to sleeve before playing too often). If the game is in my favorites that i will want to play for a long while then i may as well.

A lot of games have decks that you just go through once, so i dont really feel the need to sleeve those. CaH has too many cards and i don't mind if they get a little worn. Definitely not sleeving Pandemic legacy cards.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Never and it's never been an issue yet. No one I consider a friend does either but I have seen them at game stores and whatnot.

I consider it a huge waste of time, money and resources myself but if I had kids I probably would.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I sleeve Magic: the Gathering cards on my Standard deck, mostly because some of those cards are worth around 20 bucks each.

But I only sleeve them with these:
    siwh0velsuxk.jpg

The local weekly board game night has all sleeved cards for their public library of games, and this makes a lot of sense (especially since alcohol is being served).

I would never sleeve Cards Against Humanity, Munchkin, or other trash games. :D

>.>

<.<

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Haphazard
  • MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    I've only sleeved one game, but outside of protecting the cards, I find it makes the cards easier to shuffle properly, especially in the case where the people who made the game failed at making expansion cards the same size as the base game cards.

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Never. I don't mind my cards getting worn down over time a little, or even a lot. Just seems like a lot of work, and I feel games lose something when sleeved. It is hard to describe, but the way cards are a little different in every game makes me happy.

Virgil_Leads_You
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I sleeve everything and get themed sleeves when possible.

Many games use cards for hidden info. Once I know that the card with a nick in the bottom corner is a 3 or something, that is ruined.

I've also had one too many instances of someone knocking over a full glass of beer at the table.

Inquisitor on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh my GOD so many sleeves.

When I was playing Netrunner in tourneys, I'd buy a new set for any given tourney. All my board games are sleeved. My fucking X-wing and Armada cards are sleeved. The only things that aren't at this point are non-standard card sizes.

I even sleeve the bits that aren't supposed to be shuffled, in case someone spills crap on them.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Elvenshae
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I don't even sleeve my comics now adays. *shifty eyes*

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    I sleeved my copy of Relic's various cards because I wanted them to last.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I sleeve basically anything I expect to shuffle. But there was a long period where I had kids from 3rd grade through high school regularly playing with my stuff over lunch, so it was pretty much required.

I don't sleeve Munchkin and such, though. If that stuff wears out I'll just call it a blessing and toss it.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    My one exception
    To
    Always use protection

Wreck and Scar dem boardgame cards

VayBJ4e.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    For Malifaux I sleeve my unit and upgrade cards. Mostly because I write on them to track things like wounds. The cards themselves are whiteboard pen compatible but I'm not taking chances. I don't sleeve my playing deck though, since I hate shuffling sleeved cards.

-Loki- on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I sleeve everything I shuffle, which means I end up sleeving most of my board games. Which means I have bought a LOT of sleeves.

Even if I wasn't OCD about damaged components I far prefer shuffling sleeved cards to unsleeved cards.

admanb on
    OptimusZedElvenshae
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    I sleeve everything I shuffle, which means I end up sleeving most of my board games. Which means I have bought a LOT of sleeves.

Even if I wasn't OCD about damaged components I far prefer shuffling sleeved cards to unsleeved cards.

Yeah, I much prefer shuffling sleeved cards to unsleeved ones. I also apparently generate shuffle pressures that will just straight wreck unsleeved cards if they stick together at all. Sleeved, the lower friction keeps that from happening.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Every time I go to the comic shop I think "I should pick up a buttload of card sleeves next time. But not this time, I'm already way over budget this time."

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I sleeve games that I either really really like, or games that see fairly heavy use and/or have cards that get shuffled a whole lot. I used to think it was basically a scam, but that changed quick once I saw the wear and tear that some of my deckbuilders were suffering through. I then learned that sleeved cards actually shuffle really nicely and I don't have to worry about fraying the edges when someone at the table shuffles them clumsily. There's also not having to worry as much about spills or snacky fingers or this or that and it eases my mind when we play a game that I like that is expensive to replace or has gone out of print.

Edit: There are games that I won't bother with, even if I really like them, though. Something like Eldritch Horror is such a card nightmare already that doubling the size of those decks by putting sleeves on the cards is completely out of the question.

BloodySloth on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Okay.. I need an opinion.

Currently, I keep my X-wing and Armada ship and upgrade cards in sleeves. Then, they get further stored in a sleeve binder, including mini sleeve pages for the upgrade cards.

In reality, X-wing and Armada cards barely get shuffled, outside the damage decks. I'm thinking.. maybe I shouldn't be bothering sleeving them? It may mean they'll stay in the binder better, but it also adds a lot of thickness, especially for cards that get doubled or tripled up.

I'd probably use the extra sleeves to do something crazy like sleeve Twilight Imperium or something, so it's not like they'd never get used. But as I look at my backlog of little upgrade cards that I'll need to redo my collection for anyways.. I just can't come to a decision.

Note: The Tarot sized cards for the Armada ships are still going to be sleeved, as I sleeve them back to back to represent the token better.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I play board games with large messy manchildren and smaller slightly messier childchildren. The cards get sleeved, the fancy miniatures get cheap Reaper Bones replacements, the cardboard token trays are full of pennies and beads, and there have been boards replaced with spillproof laminated sheets.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    I get most of my boardgaming done in the pub, and sleeve things to prevent liquid damage. Bought a 100 pack case in a sale years back and have yet to deplete it even with several boardgames and LCGs.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I sleeve the Netrunner/Arkham Horror LCG decks I'm using and keep the rest of the cards in binders. For boardgames I don't use sleeves, because none of them get played regularly enough to mean wear and tear is an issue. If I played something like Dominion I would definitely sleeve the cards, though. Deckbuilding games are rough as hell on cards.