As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFRK] Orbfest and Fest banner 2 live! Purple Monkey Dishwasher.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    I know that the train's weaknesses to Fire, Lightning, and Holy make for a super tempting target. But you might want to curb that enthusiasm. Acid Rain is a nasty counterattack, and there's a chance of that every time you hit the weakness with a coutnerable attack.

Eh, I found that with decent mitigation up, the counters just helped everyone build more meter. Of course, it can be challenging to get pickup groups to apply proper mitigation.

Vaan breaking the thing's magic or just triple layer magic breaks turns the acid rains into free meter and more SB spams.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    That's the thing about bringing extra extra mitigation that you don't get for bringing extra extra healing.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Hm.

Just finished the most recent story patch for FFXIV.

There's a Wardrobe Record that I want to see, now.

Also, a new "default" outfit to use for the main character, if they wanted to add them.

• Options
    Let's try Infinity Nemesis!

*First action from Nemesis wipes the entire team from full*

Let's not try Infinity Nemesis!

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Heh, so me and my friends did the 200 train tonight. We had 3 Terras with OSB. They basically did all the damage in the fight (outside of some supports bonking the train) 50k-65k at a time. It was hilarious watching Terra's OSB animation over

and over

and over

and over. We actually wiped twice at <1% because of bad luck too, so many Terra OSBs were cast tonight.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    My permanent MP team going forward will pretty much always be the supportive role, unless I just know I'm going to run pubs and want to try to second guess what every team is going to fail miserably at.

Otherwise it's pretty much going to be Setzer BSB with Full Break + R3 Rapid Fire, and Y'shtola with all SBs, Ultra Cure and Wrath.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to the release of Setzer's MC3, his damage has felt anemic to me, and an extra 33 ATK would certainly help.

• Options
    biscuitbutt81biscuitbutt81 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I've got about 750 mithril and I was planning on going in hard on banners 3, 4, and 5 of the festival. But I just saw that there's a FF11 banner (a game that I love) coming up and that it is introducing a bunch of new characters.

Does anybody know how good the banners are for this event? Would it be worth saving some mithril to pull on this shit?

biscuitbutt81 on
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    There have been a couple posts in the past few days discussing the FFXI banner (there is only one for some reason I believe). I would say the value of the banner largely depends on how much you value FFXI synergy and also how much you value %HP medicas on non-healers. I personally am likely to skip it, since I have no attachment to FFXI and I should hopefully have a physical OSB or two to alleviate any concerns about synergy (I already have two mage OSB swords so mage synergy is generally not a problem).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    yeah the FFXI banner is not awesome. It introduces the Limit Chain soul breaks and there are much better versions of those.

The next banner after the fest that people are salivating for is the III banner if they don't have OK stuff and want it, and the FFVII banner.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    I'm holding out on the FFXI banner if and only if it has Ayame's BSB on it. Which I'm starting to doubt it will, but I'll be more than happy to be surprised about it.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    The good thing about Shantotto's LCSB as a weapon is it's a 6* Staff with 162 MAG. This makes a nicely transferable weapon between more of your Mage types than the (soon to be two) MAG swords that are currently available.

The bad thing about Shantotto's LCSB as a weapon is it's a 6* Staff and not a Rod. Pretty much every Mage in the game can use a Rod, but only a few of them can't use Staves, including Rydia, Rinoa, Fujin, and Terra (bad news if you didn't pull her Sword).

Arguably, if you pull the staff, it's never coming off Shantotto in the first place, but if you just wanted that little bit of extra power on a character you prefer, such as Terra, hope you got her sword, because it's never coming back*.

*The next festival in the summer with the EX-mode SBs will have Terra's USB which is marginally stronger anyway. Use all the mythril!

• Options
    I do like my %Medicas on non-WHMs (I have my eye on Ceodore's Burst), and the medicas onyhst banner have some nice effects (one has Esunaga and damage, and the other has Regenja and Last Stand), but there's other good stuff on that banner. Santotto, for example, also gets her stacking team buff (MAG/RES), Prishe gets a neat BSB that focuses on getting the most out of Monk abilities (and basically sets it up to allow for Lifebane spam), and Lion's BSB is the ATK/DEF equivalent of Vaan's Ark Blast.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Looks like they changed the background color of Bughamut's icon and that's about it. Suppose I'll hang onto it? vOv

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I'm trying quite hard to get all my Nemesis X people to 99, just for the extra survival chance. Still planning on running with Vaan/Alphinaud/Edge/Vanille/Eiko, and RW Wall, but I haven't even done the lighter difficulty Nemesis so I have no idea on the flow of the fight, yet.

• Options
    The easier difficulties of Nemesis are nothing like the final difficulty. The final difficulty runs like clockwork, with some turns being an either/or attack situation, but it will always flow the same way across 7 turns.

The easier difficulties throw some things at you that the hardest difficulty doesn't, and in general is just easier to handle, not feeling much different from any other U++ fight you've done.

• Options
    Rius wrote: »
    Looks like they changed the background color of Bughamut's icon and that's about it. Suppose I'll hang onto it? vOv

It's a (wholly useless) piece of history! We'll never see its like again.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I wish multiplayer didn't stick you with your character's default sb and remove everything else. Was very embaressed to activate whatever agrias has instead of cleansing strike.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    I wish multiplayer didn't stick you with your character's default sb and remove everything else. Was very embaressed to activate whatever agrias has instead of cleansing strike.

I've literally never seen it do that.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    ArcTangent wrote: »

I haven't had it do it randomly, but the first time I use a character in MP it only loads their default SB. I have definitely forgotten that fact more than once.

• Options
    Decided I wanted one more shot at Locke/Setzer/Edgar BSBs after all, since I don't see any of them recurring and I have a use for all three. 1/11, dupe Relm's Brush! Ah well.

I definitely did better off the 3 lucky draws and the free Ultros draw than I did on any regular or fest banner, that's for sure. My Cloud turned into a superhero practically overnight, and I picked up Medicas for several realms (I, II, VIII) where I had neither Medica nor Hastega, making those CMs dramatically easier.

Looking forward to the rest of the 100 gem draws, but I'm tapped out of mythril now. Just have enough left to do a dozen or so refreshes in this phase, restocking my Summon/Ice/Fire and getting Celes/Locke/Beatrix/Agrias/Faris from 80->99. Still have 5 MC3s too, heh. I'll probably take at least a couple more people up from 80 during P5; I won't spend refreshes there, but I kind of consider it to be a Gil phase because I have so many extra upgrade mats I can sell.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

when I beat shadow lord apoc I used Onion Knight and I had his BSB and SSB but not my recently mastered OSB on his list. it's really weird.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »

when I beat shadow lord apoc I used Onion Knight and I had his BSB and SSB but not my recently mastered OSB on his list. it's really weird.

The games saves your characters' SB bar in the exact state as when they went into the most recent fight. If you didn't have his learned OSB assigned on his bar the last MP fight you sent him into, then it wouldn't show up.

• Options
    It's not that weird; your MP character settings are independent from your SP character settings. You can do a Remove All in SP Party screen and it won't effect your MP roster. So if you add an SB to your selection in SP, it doesn't get added in MP.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So, thanks to the advice on putting together a mage team, I mastered both the U+ and U++ with the team Shantoto(BSB)/Vivi(BSB)/Serah(Faithga)/Tryo(wall)/Y'sthola(BSB). This was even with Shantoto at level 65, and Vivi at 81.

But now I have a new question. Recently I picked up Cid's Shout, but I keep running into issues trying to fit support and Cid in my teams. How many DPS slots do most people run?

Usually my team is something like:
    Firion BSB
    Minfilia BSB/TGCid OSB
    Beatrix BSB
    Tyro Wall
    Y'sthola BSB.

And so I keep trying to replace Tyro with Cid(VII), but then I go from wall and breaks to no wall and no breaks(or maybe full break and a break on Firion), and so I'm taking a lot more damage than I'd like. If I do move to

DPS
    DPS
    Cid Shout
    Tyro Wall
    Y'shtola/Eiko BSB

what abilities would I give Cid? LS/Jump? BotW/Jump? Or do I give him one of MM/DMT and give Y'sthola/Eiko Gathering Storm to keep up with early heals?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    It's not that weird; your MP character settings are independent from your SP character settings. You can do a Remove All in SP Party screen and it won't effect your MP roster. So if you add an SB to your selection in SP, it doesn't get added in MP.

SP defaults to throwing Soul Breaks in your list, though.

• Options
    Decided I wanted one more shot at Locke/Setzer/Edgar BSBs after all, since I don't see any of them recurring and I have a use for all three. 1/11, dupe Relm's Brush! Ah well.

I definitely did better off the 3 lucky draws and the free Ultros draw than I did on any regular or fest banner, that's for sure. My Cloud turned into a superhero practically overnight, and I picked up Medicas for several realms (I, II, VIII) where I had neither Medica nor Hastega, making those CMs dramatically easier.

Looking forward to the rest of the 100 gem draws, but I'm tapped out of mythril now. Just have enough left to do a dozen or so refreshes in this phase, restocking my Summon/Ice/Fire and getting Celes/Locke/Beatrix/Agrias/Faris from 80->99. Still have 5 MC3s too, heh. I'll probably take at least a couple more people up from 80 during P5; I won't spend refreshes there, but I kind of consider it to be a Gil phase because I have so many extra upgrade mats I can sell.

The next explicit opportunity for Mirage Phoenix may be in about six months; the "Super Fest" going on now has the Thief Knife available in a banner, alongside Locke's new Zwill Crossblade, which contains his Fire Chain SB.

• Options
    A steak! wrote: »

SP defaults to throwing Soul Breaks in your list, though.

I'm guessing the issue is that some people don't use optimize, and so when they go to equip characters they expect the SB's to already be set like they always are in SP. Because if you never use the optimize button, once you have SB's set, I'm pretty sure you never need to go back to that screen.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Brody wrote: »
    Firion BSB
    Minfilia BSB/TGCid OSB
    Beatrix BSB
    Tyro Wall
    Y'sthola BSB.

And so I keep trying to replace Tyro with Cid(VII), but then I go from wall and breaks to no wall and no breaks(or maybe full break and a break on Firion), and so I'm taking a lot more damage than I'd like. If I do move to

DPS
    DPS
    Cid Shout
    Tyro Wall
    Y'shtola/Eiko BSB

what abilities would I give Cid? LS/Jump? BotW/Jump? Or do I give him one of MM/DMT and give Y'sthola/Eiko Gathering Storm to keep up with early heals?

If I wanted to put Cid VII onto your "usual team" listed there, I would probably drop Tyro for him. Default loadout would be something like

Firion Lifesiphon + Breakdown, RM +weapon dmg or Ace Striker/Battleforged/Thunder God
    Minfilia Lifesiphon + Full Break, RM +weapon dmg
    Beatrix Lifesiphon + Protectga/Shellga, Ace Striker/Battleforged/Thunder God
    Cid Lifesiphon + Lightning Dive/Dragoon Jump, Mako Might
    Yshtola/Eiko Wrath/Curaja/Ultra Cure + Protectga/Shellga, Dr. Mog's

RW Wall

Requires record sphere on Firion, but his BSB is so damn good I would totally be on board with that.

Fry on
  • Options
    Wasn't there a character somewhere who had a Support BSB that opened with party-wide offense buff instead of a Breakdown?

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Wasn't there a character somewhere who had a Support BSB that opened with party-wide offense buff instead of a Breakdown?

Sazh and Red XIII do, might be some others.

• Options
    That's the one. Choco-Chick Blues.

If I'd known during the FFXIII event that I would eventually be building a crit team, I'd have sought after that SB. Ah well.

• Options
    Firion BSB
    Minfilia BSB/TGCid OSB
    Beatrix BSB
    Tyro Wall
    Y'sthola BSB.

DPS
    DPS
    Cid Shout
    Tyro Wall
    Y'shtola/Eiko BSB

If I wanted to put Cid VII onto your "usual team" listed there, I would probably drop Tyro for him. Loadout would be something like

Firion Lifesiphon + Breakdown, RM +weapon dmg or Ace Striker/Battleforged/Thunder God
    Yshtola/Eiko Curaja/Ultra Cure + Protectga/Shellga, Dr. Mog's

RW Wall

Does it make more sense to drop Tyro, or drop one of the DPS? I guess I was just thinking I might be able to start bringing new and exciting RW's

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Firion BSB
    Minfilia BSB/TGCid OSB
    Beatrix BSB
    Tyro Wall
    Y'sthola BSB.

DPS
    DPS
    Cid Shout
    Tyro Wall
    Y'shtola/Eiko BSB

If I wanted to put Cid VII onto your "usual team" listed there, I would probably drop Tyro for him. Loadout would be something like

RW Wall

Does it make more sense to drop Tyro, or drop one of the DPS? I guess I was just thinking I might be able to start bringing new and exciting RW's

You certainly could drop any one of the DPS in order to RW new and exciting things - MM/DMT on Cid and Tyro, and give your healer AS/BF/TG to help get meter up faster. There are a lot of ways to build working teams with what you have.

If it was me, I would just not bother with Cid because I hate the animation for Pilot's Steel, to that point that I refuse to use it as an RW even though it's got a shorter cast time than Shout. I am OK with RWing Shout all day every day, even though I have a super stacked Ramza. YMMV!

Fry on
  • Options
    Firion BSB
    Minfilia BSB/TGCid OSB
    Beatrix BSB
    Tyro Wall
    Y'sthola BSB.

DPS
    DPS
    Cid Shout
    Tyro Wall
    Y'shtola/Eiko BSB

RW Wall

You certainly could drop any one of the DPS in order to RW new and exciting things - MM/DMT on Cid and Tyro, and give your healer AS/BF/TG to help get meter up faster. There are a lot of ways to build working teams with what you have.

If it was me, I would just not bother with Cid because I hate the animation for Pilot's Steel, to that point that I refuse to use it as an RW even though it's got a shorter cast time than Shout.

Also, because it's Cid. It's like Gau. Sure, you can use him, but why would you?

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Give Gau a Raflessia Rage soul break.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I was kinda stoked to get Cid's Shout because it's the only Shout I've gotten.

I still have yet to actually use it.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I like Cid, pbbbbbbttttttt to the haters. :P

In the game though, it can be tough to squeeze him in. Especially if you have Ramza with Shout already, since he's got a lot more options.

Cid at least has access to Machinist skills, which could be situationally advantageous. I'd switch him out for a DPS personally, but I have his BSB and other SSB so that helps. (Just gotta wait for his MC3 to open up though).

• Options
    Firion BSB
    Minfilia BSB/TGCid OSB
    Beatrix BSB
    Tyro Wall
    Y'sthola BSB.

DPS
    DPS
    Cid Shout
    Tyro Wall
    Y'shtola/Eiko BSB

RW Wall

If it was me, I would just not bother with Cid because I hate the animation for Pilot's Steel, to that point that I refuse to use it as an RW even though it's got a shorter cast time than Shout. I am OK with RWing Shout all day every day, even though I have a super stacked Ramza. YMMV!

Yeah, I think 75% of my RW list is Shout. I just feel like its getting a little old, and want to change things up a little. More of a variety for varieties sake deal.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Cid can fit onto any team except mage teams and there's no reason to be mean to him and say nasty things like "Cid can't do it" because Cid can do it. And don't say mean things like "Cid is an old man" because he's not really that old and that's just rude. And please stop saying "Cid flies rocket ships and that's a dumb thing to do" because it's not a dumb thing to do. Rocket ship flying is a very respectable occupation.

He's a dragoon, and dragoons are rad as fuck and they do awesome damage. On top of that he's a machinist, which means if you need a status effect, Cid is your man. If he is your only source of Shout, he can easily fit onto any team. Easily!

This discussion has been closed.