As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:Stormblood] The solution to the MSQ block was so simple. Delete Balmung

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Just checking in for more Stormblood info. There hasn't been anything released or hinted at yet for the updated battle system from the initial release has there?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Just checking in for more Stormblood info. There hasn't been anything released or hinted at yet for the updated battle system from the initial release has there?

Nope nothing we don't already know. Pruning useless skills, merging similar skills and from what they said at level 70 you'll have about the same number of skills you do at 60.

May I guess is when we'll hear more.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Samurai looks really great and pretty much exactly what I wanted. However I really hope that in addition to the ronin style gear the trailer shows off, that you get proper sengoku era-ish armor too.

Japanese_Armour_Diagram_by_Wendelin_Boeheim.jpg

Cause when I think samurai, I think of this.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Samurai looks really great and pretty much exactly what I wanted. However I really hope that in addition to the ronin style gear the trailer shows off, that you get proper sengoku era-ish armor too.

Japanese_Armour_Diagram_by_Wendelin_Boeheim.jpg

Cause when I think samurai, I think of this.

Funny story, as this was exactly Samurai in FFXI. Which was not bad! I was a dedicated SAM main pre-buff back in the OG days.

But I honestly do like that they went with the wandering ronin trope to differentiate a bit. It also happens to be my favorite version.

But I would be 100% down for the full sengoku armor glamours.

• Options
    Considering the wide range of armor styles for each class I wouldn't be surprised if there were some classic samurai armor in the mix. I mean WAR range from CONAN to SKYRIM to DEATH METAL ALBUM COVER!

If not, well, I got that samurai armor set from the FFXI event we had a ways back. :razz:

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    If they wear the same sort of armor that a Dragoon does(medium) then you'll likely see some with more proper armored bits.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    They're sharing gear with monks. They announced that in the live letter, I think.

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    That is definitely my type of Samurai. Been wondering what I should do after BLM. Well, not wondering any more, though I'll keep leveling WHM too, since those Healer queues are something else.

• Options
    I do think the Ronin style is very appropriate for an MMO.

I mean they are literally murder-hobos.

• Options
    It's a huge bonus that they seem to have some Iai-jutsu. It's my favorite katana style, so all's good. And stylish.

Auron look-alikes seems to turn up in a lot of SE games these days, there's one in I am Setsuna too. (No spoiler, you meet him really early.)

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    MrGrimoire wrote: »
    That is definitely my type of Samurai. Been wondering what I should do after BLM. Well, not wondering any more, though I'll keep leveling WHM too, since those Healer queues are something else.

I did BLM first, then WHM second too! If you think those queues are good, try tank next haha

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Tanks don't get queues. It is one of the role perks.

• Options
    I've tanked my way through Rift and TSW by now, I just do not feel like learning the mechanics in another game. No tanks for me.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    tanking in this game is the exact same as melee dpsing except the boss faces you. it's very, very easy as far as mmo tanking goes

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    I do think the Ronin style is very appropriate for an MMO.

I mean they are literally murder-hobos.

You rang? ( /wink @AngelHedgie )

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    I still remember an early Arcanist quiets where ther guild master said something like "and I do hope your plan for battle is more than just flinging Ruin over and over again."

Man, that's rich considering the overall game design. :rotate:

By level 15 you have:
    Manage carbuncle
    Manage DoTs
    Aetherflows
    Spam Ruin

Nowhere near as bad as PLD not getting tank mode at 30 or DRG spending 30 levels heavy thrusting.

There's a tank mode?

What the hell have I been doing for the past 38 levels?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    tanking in this game is the exact same as melee dpsing except the boss faces you. it's very, very easy as far as mmo tanking goes

And yet, people still have difficulties with it...

But yeah, tanking is very similar to melee DPS only that:
    • Most of the time, you want the boss or adds to be hitting you (exceptions involve being afflicted with an obvious tank swap mechanic debuff)
    • You have no positionals
    • Your cool downs may not necessarily affect your personal DPS, but it'll affect the group's DPS
    • Your goal is to beat the DPS in DPS while making Selphie-type healers bored as all heck because there's nothing to do

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    CSStheGr8CSStheGr8 Registered User regular
    My FF14 life could have been so different if someone had told me pugilists had doom references.

3DS FC: 2363-6921-5075
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I wish they had more Jojo references than just having the main trainer be named Hamon.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    CSStheGr8 wrote: »
    My FF14 life could have been so different if someone had told me pugilists had doom references.

Really? Like DOOM doom? I've not heard that.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    I still remember an early Arcanist quiets where ther guild master said something like "and I do hope your plan for battle is more than just flinging Ruin over and over again."

By level 15 you have:
    Manage carbuncle
    Manage DoTs
    Aetherflows
    Spam Ruin

Nowhere near as bad as PLD not getting tank mode at 30 or DRG spending 30 levels heavy thrusting.

There's a tank mode?

You get Shield Oath at 40, which is the tank stance, while Dark Knight and Warrior get theirs at 30.

• Options
    Yukira wrote: »

By level 15 you have:
    Manage carbuncle
    Manage DoTs
    Aetherflows
    Spam Ruin

There's a tank mode?

You get Shield Oath at 40, which is the tank stance, while Dark Knight and Warrior get theirs at 30.

What does it do?

I've been tanking this whole time with very few issues

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

By level 15 you have:
    Manage carbuncle
    Manage DoTs
    Aetherflows
    Spam Ruin

There's a tank mode?

What does it do?

It makes you hold aggro effortlessly and take 20% less damage.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

By level 15 you have:
    Manage carbuncle
    Manage DoTs
    Aetherflows
    Spam Ruin

There's a tank mode?

What does it do?

Oh

Wow, so like, even easier mode

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

By level 15 you have:
    Manage carbuncle
    Manage DoTs
    Aetherflows
    Spam Ruin

There's a tank mode?

What does it do?

Oh

On the other hand, it also cuts your DPS by 20% as well.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

By level 15 you have:
    Manage carbuncle
    Manage DoTs
    Aetherflows
    Spam Ruin

There's a tank mode?

What does it do?

Oh

On the other hand, it also cuts your DPS by 20% as well.

Like as an actual effect or as opportunity cost for not being in the more damage mode (which I thought only affected auto attack damage?)

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Honestly though, tank dps while nice is not the make or break component of most fights. And the reduced damage you take in tank stance allows more dps time for your healers. Since both WHM and SCH have lots of dots, one or two extra global cooldowns can make quite a difference in the healer DPS on a fight. Or when doing dungeons increased tank survivability can give the healer the breathing room needed to allow them to Holy spam without having to worry about you dying to quickly. And as a PLD you aren't exactly setting the DPS meters on fire regardless in multi-target fights.

Edit: the tank stances all have reduced dps as one of their secondary effects. You can generally keep up okay with threat through the 30s, although you are working much harder than the other two tanks. Don't try to run the level 40 dungeon without Shield Oath. I did it and it isn't much fun for the entire group.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Actual effect on all the damage you do.

Shield Oath is a 15% damage penalty
    Grit is 20%
    Defiance is 25% but WARs have a CD that allows them to temporarily cancel the damage penalty, plus 2 abilities that ignore the penalty

The flip side is that your threat generation is significantly increased.

Lack of Shield Oath on PLDs is only an issue if you have split single-target DPS and both of the DPS are dealing damage near their actual maximum potential. Otherwise, hammer every GCD, use Fight or Flight and know how to split Savage Blade and Rage of Halone across multiple targets and holding threat isn't too much of an issue and still a doddle on single target.
    Exception: Level 39 in Cutter's Cry vs level 40 synched DPS. That is a nightmare.

And yeap, in mass multi-target pulls it's probably best to stay in tank stance unless you've got CD alignments that let you mass leech back HP as well as mitigate a lot of damage. PLDs have virtually no AoE damage so whatever, it's only a 15% damage penalty.
    In single target encounters, knowing how to mitigate damage spikes with proper CD usage and monitoring your own HP. Don't just flip into DPS stance just because it's the thing to do when either yourself or your healer are incapable of handling it. eg: When you're getting chunked for 40% of your HP every few seconds in tank stance, you'll be a damn fool to disable your passive damage mitigation.

Takel on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Question:

I have a 55 DRK. I'm going to be a Samurai, forever, and ever.

After polishing off DRK should I....

1. Gear up and use DRK to theme park Heavensward content?

2. Scratch that and level NIN because WEEABOO and themepark that way?

3. Level my 50 Dragoon, and themepark Heavensward content on the floor?

4. Level MNK from like...14? And stock up glamors and break my fingers keeping up greased lightning.

• Options
    If you enjoy the DRK at all, you will have an easier/faster time going through the HW themepark as a tank (for queues). I would also recommend getting one class to 60 as soon as possible if you are planning on leveling up multiple others to 60, since you get a larger XP bonus on all the other classes if you already have one at 60.

• Options
    5: Play all of those jobs

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Question:

I have a 55 DRK. I'm going to be a Samurai, forever, and ever.

After polishing off DRK should I....

1. Gear up and use DRK to theme park Heavensward content?

2. Scratch that and level NIN because WEEABOO and themepark that way?

3. Level my 50 Dragoon, and themepark Heavensward content on the floor?

4. Level MNK from like...14? And stock up glamors and break my fingers keeping up greased lightning.

5. LEVEL ALL THE THINGS.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Via the Youtube hole I have discovered something. I have brought it back to share with everyone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9f06vpx-s0

YOU'RE WELCOME!

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Via the Youtube hole I have discovered something. I have brought it back to share with everyone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9f06vpx-s0

YOU'RE WELCOME!

Has there ever been anything more beautiful in all the world than this video?

I think not.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Takel wrote: »
    Actual effect on all the damage you do.

Shield Oath is a 15% damage penalty
    Grit is 20%
    Defiance is 25% but WARs have a CD that allows them to temporarily cancel the damage penalty, plus 2 abilities that ignore the penalty

The flip side is that your threat generation is significantly increased.

Lack of Shield Oath on PLDs is only an issue if you have split single-target DPS and both of the DPS are dealing damage near their actual maximum potential. Otherwise, hammer every GCD, use Fight or Flight and know how to split Savage Blade and Rage of Halone across multiple targets and holding threat isn't too much of an issue and still a doddle on single target.
    Exception: Level 39 in Cutter's Cry vs level 40 synched DPS. That is a nightmare.

And yeap, in mass multi-target pulls it's probably best to stay in tank stance unless you've got CD alignments that let you mass leech back HP as well as mitigate a lot of damage. PLDs have virtually no AoE damage so whatever, it's only a 15% damage penalty.
    In single target encounters, knowing how to mitigate damage spikes with proper CD usage and monitoring your own HP. Don't just flip into DPS stance just because it's the thing to do when either yourself or your healer are incapable of handling it. eg: When you're getting chunked for 40% of your HP every few seconds in tank stance, you'll be a damn fool to disable your passive damage mitigation.

Yeah that's been my experience. I've only had issues losing threat with split DPS with well geared synched DPS

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    AgahnimAgahnim Registered User regular
    Been away from this since shortly after Heavensward after the equipment grind got to me. Is the focus still on grinding for item levels?

2.jpg
    3DS FC: 2148-8300-8608 WiiU: AgahnimD
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    If you make that your goal then yes getting the highest item level gear is the end game.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Agahnim wrote: »
    Been away from this since shortly after Heavensward after the equipment grind got to me. Is the focus still on grinding for item levels?

I would say yes, but getting up to say, the 240-250 range doesn't take a lot of work right now.

It'll be even easier once they remove the weekly scripture cap, which might be as soon as next week.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Is monday night the last day to turn in Wondrous Tales? I keep forgetting until Tuesdays.

This discussion has been closed.