As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:Stormblood] The solution to the MSQ block was so simple. Delete Balmung

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I don't know that I prefer controller to KBAM, but since I play FF14 on the PS4 for ergonomic reasons, I like it well enough.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    One thing I really, really, REALLY miss about WoW is the ability to dismount instantly and start fighting. Fly over to world boss, dive bomb, and dismount in midair to Charge in like a screaming meteor of death.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    After months I finally have a Steam Controller setup that works. I have my XBar and true mouse control.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    The fact that I lose the Toggle/Mixed control types when using the WXHB is a non-starter for me. That's really unfortunate. Back to trying to make it all work with 16 visible slots.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I mean that's mostly how I do it, but our main combo abilities are 6 buttons by themselves. That doesn't include AE stuff. Lots'o buttons.

Now that I think of it though, maybe I should move my AE block to a different bar. That seems like a smart mental break point to switch bars, switching between single target an AE.

I generally have my aoe abilities on another bar, even if I have to duplicate some other abilities there. They are different modes and it helps to separate them for me.

As for crossbars, I never liked too many frequently used abilities on the right bar (my hand cramps if I'm holding RT and moving a lot for some reason), so combat starter is always LT + B (O) and for behind combo it's A(X) then X(Square), with the one that does slashing debuff on Y (Triangle). The side combo is the same, but I put it on LT to keep muscle memory mostly the same. Other abilities are just scattered as I commonly do across jobs. Ranged attack for melee is RT + B (O), etc. Those will be different for you. I usually put one-time abilities or less frequently used on directional pad buttons in a way that makes sense to me across my jobs. Job-defining abilities like damage mitigation or ninja/Samurai power release are usually on RT + directional with stun/dash/whatever usually pushed to LT + directional.

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Where are you getting 32 on the front page? There are 16 buttons per page. It's a cross hotbar, that uses 8 buttons and 1 modifier. Unless there is some magic 32-button cross bar I am unaware of?

You can set double tap buttons.

maxresdefault.jpg

32 right thurr

Woah, been playing since beta for ARR and I'm not sure i actually knew this!! You may have changed my world right here

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    How well does the xb1 elite controller work with it? I've got one of those on my PC but I've never really tried it with FF

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    The fact that I lose the Toggle/Mixed control types when using the WXHB is a non-starter for me. That's really unfortunate. Back to trying to make it all work with 16 visible slots.

Yeah, I use mixed, and it's really frustrating that the WXHB doesn't work with it. It would make life so much easier.

• Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    How well does the xb1 elite controller work with it? I've got one of those on my PC but I've never really tried it with FF

Pretty well, actually. Granted for this there's not much practical value for the extra buttons here, but it definitely works.

• Options
    KeysierKeysier Registered User regular
    I started playing this game in Stormblood from 0, first time player and enjoying the game.

Definitely feeling overwhelmed with quests. I haven't done any of the optional quests since level 5 and I'm now a level 53 warrior still on level 47 story quests from ARR. Seriously, this is kinda nuts. I've even leveled 4 other classes to their respective jobs to stem the tide until I eventually gave up.

Picking a tank class definitely was the wise choice considering I can just do dungeons whenever I want, I haven't had too much trouble doing much at all aside from keeping threat off of a very specific people - but that is also because I honestly really dislike the system of having a combo for threat and a combo for DPS (of which the combo for DPS has 10 more beast gain).

Still though I love the game and I will slough through it, I imagine Heavensward will be the same # of overall quests - which leaves me mostly sad

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Less actually, though the story is better overall.

There's 184 MSQs for the base original game, an additional 101 for the post-launch content. 60 for base Heavensward, 44 for post-launch content. Stormblood has trended closer 2.0 with whooooboy 129 MSQs.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Honestly, starting fresh with so many quests ahead of me would be a HUGE daunting mountain to climb. I don't mind a burst of story whenever an expansion or update drops, but I dont think I could carry enough momentum to push through 2 months of story content. D:

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I paid money for MSQ pots to catch up with basically the three years of content I never bothered to play. When you figure in how much you'd be paying in recurring sub cost during that time frame it was actually a bargain. I got to 50 and paid the story skip. Got to 60 and reached the end of the baseline HW chain on my own then paid to skip the rest so I could start SB and actually play content that people currently are interested in.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I'd argue you paid to skip what remained of a better story honestly.

People can do what they want with their money of course but the idea of skipping the content seems weird from my end. I treat the game like a proper Final Fantasy story perched on top of a good MMO. There's never been any rush to skip to max level, there will always be people for the dungeons I need to do and max level stuff isn't going anywhere.

As for the costs of a sub for the time to do most of the leveling content. $15? $30 at most maybe?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Whoops I forgot to get my ninth sticker and turn in the book yesterday so I missed out on at least a 1-Line reward and potentially a 2-Line. Oh well.

• Options
    GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
    http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/61e34dca20301428343eeb74d74529c74e490ee5
    Looks like they are logging everyone on the server out once a day to disconnect everyone who is getting past the afk logout and dragging the queue timers way up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Third and final part of the NoClip FFXIV documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONT6fxiu9cw

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Ghlinn wrote: »
    http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/61e34dca20301428343eeb74d74529c74e490ee5
    Looks like they are logging everyone on the server out once a day to disconnect everyone who is getting past the afk logout and dragging the queue timers way up.

I love the "you brought this on yourselves" message this sends.

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    I'd argue you paid to skip what remained of a better story honestly.

People can do what they want with their money of course but the idea of skipping the content seems weird from my end. I treat the game like a proper Final Fantasy story perched on top of a good MMO. There's never been any rush to skip to max level, there will always be people for the dungeons I need to do and max level stuff isn't going anywhere.

As for the costs of a sub for the time to do most of the leveling content. $15? $30 at most maybe?

There's over 400 quests between a brand new player and the start of Stormblood, and while there are some really good moments in there, there are also some areas where things start to drag. I don't think I can blame anyone for looking at everything they'd need to do and deciding to pay to skip it to be part of the current zeitgeist.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Yeah, we discussed crossbars and controller tips back on page 89

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Honestly, starting fresh with so many quests ahead of me would be a HUGE daunting mountain to climb. I don't mind a burst of story whenever an expansion or update drops, but I dont think I could carry enough momentum to push through 2 months of story content. D:

For me it would be like "wait, I can play through an MMO without ever needing to grind? sign me the fuck up!"

Different strokes and all that of course.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't play FFXIV as an MMO. I don't care about gear, I don't care about the loot grind, and I really don't even care about the raids. I never finished the Pirate Ship raid in Heavensward.

For me, XIV is a singleplayer game with other people who are also completing a singleplayer game. Story is the only reason I play. And when I exhaust all available story, I unsubscribe and take a break till more story becomes available.

So I wouldn't be overwhelemed by story since that's the only reason I play. I don't care about "life at 70" because that's not at all what I'm interested in in this game.

I've done the gear treadmill many times before and I'm over it. I'm over MMOs. And so for me, XIV is just a multiplayer singleplayer game.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    The one thing I care about gear for is looking cool.

Because I care about that in single player games too.

Always gotta look the most cool.

• Options
    I love playing with my friends. Being 2 months away from being able to do the stuff they're doing and being able to help them out would be terribly dull for me. :p

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Ghlinn wrote: »

I love the "you brought this on yourselves" message this sends.

Yeah, as long as they aren't doing that logout right during the evening, I think it's the best idea available. Catch all the players that are afk while at work or out.

Eventually the congestion will run out as players lapse or take advantage of the free transfers to less populated realms.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    okay so sirensong sea is a pretty fun dungeon

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Beezel wrote: »

I think all the dungeons are pretty good this expac, some really interesting boss mechanics.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »

Yeah. It has some neat encounters, the design is memorable, and it serves as (what I assume is) a neat little callback to FFV's ship graveyard.

• Options
    Guys last dungeon spoilers
    I gotta replay FF6 now! I loved how they handled the Barrier shift mechanic.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Also, I hit Dark Knight level 65 last night and did the story quest.

1: that was a cool solo trial.
    2: I need to get to level 68 and see the next quest.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Enlong wrote: »

Good to know. Going through the WAR story, I loved it so very much.

If the other job stories are at least of similar quality to the WAR, I'll be a happy camper. Don't get me wrong, the main story will always be the draw, but sometimes the more personal scope of the class/job stories is just amazing.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah. I was very much hoping that the Stormblood DRK story could hold up to the 30-50 DRK story. And if it's going where I think it is, it very well could.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    The PLD quest chain continues the tradition of largely being a waste of time. There's a couple of fun fights though.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I'm also completely new to this with the mountain of MSQ quests ahead of me. But I'm liking it quite a bit so far. I'll probably similarly play it mainly for the core plot. I was a bit surprised I found myself in the mood to play an MMO again at all really. But I'd heard good things over time and I wasn't sure what I really felt like playing next so I gave the free trial a go and now I'm in it. I'm level 33 or so, I've been doing the daily guildhest and leveling roulette but otherwise just focusing on MSQ. But that still has me fairly far ahead of the level curve. I think my quests are more in the 28 range. Next up is Haukke Manor.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    First two parts of the new SMN stuff is pretty dull, unless you want more ancient Allag lore.

And I'm going to hear that book flopping around in my damn nightmares.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    @Caedwyr I actually liked seeing old faces and...
    Not having to deal with any of the trainwreck that was the HW questline. Except for Constaint appearing there.

I wonder if these quests would be easier to digest if the class was named Knight and not Paladin. Even then, man stuff like MNK, DRG, DRK and even WHM have some great storylines. I wonder why they drop the ball so hard with PLD.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Question about the level cap. I haven't bought the expansions yet, so I know 50 is the cap. Once I finish the ARR MSQ and start in on the 2.1-2.5 stuff, would I be able to start leveling past 50 if I had the expansion, or do I need to complete all of those MSQ first?

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    @ Caedwyr I actually liked seeing old faces and...
    Not having to deal with any of the trainwreck that was the HW questline. Except for Constaint appearing there.

I wonder if these quests would be easier to digest if the class was named Knight and not Paladin. Even then, man stuff like MNK, DRG, DRK and even WHM have some great storylines. I wonder why they drop the ball so hard with PLD.

The name is a big part of it. The questline wasn't bad for a Knight, but even then it doesn't hold up to the class quests for a number of the other jobs. The funny thing is, the ARR PLD questline to level 50 was actually consistent with the Paladin name in a way that the Heavensward and Stormblood questlines were not. Even if they didn't go for the Paragon of Morality type Paladin, it'd be nice if they leaned a bit more towards Gawain or Galahad and less towards Caradoc.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

The best part is Sid's request.
    "Be a dear, Player, and punch a moogle for me."
    And if you talk to him after, he says "I wasn't joking, you know. About the moogle punching."

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    Keysier wrote: »
    I started playing this game in Stormblood from 0, first time player and enjoying the game.

Definitely feeling overwhelmed with quests. I haven't done any of the optional quests since level 5 and I'm now a level 53 warrior still on level 47 story quests from ARR. Seriously, this is kinda nuts. I've even leveled 4 other classes to their respective jobs to stem the tide until I eventually gave up.

Picking a tank class definitely was the wise choice considering I can just do dungeons whenever I want, I haven't had too much trouble doing much at all aside from keeping threat off of a very specific people - but that is also because I honestly really dislike the system of having a combo for threat and a combo for DPS (of which the combo for DPS has 10 more beast gain).

Still though I love the game and I will slough through it, I imagine Heavensward will be the same # of overall quests - which leaves me mostly sad

I agree. I'ts such a slog going through the MSQ. I started 2 weeks before Stormblood and my lvl 52 white mage is almost done with the ARR quests. So so daunting to do more for Heavensward and Stormblood...

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

This discussion has been closed.