Options

[WoW] Someone really needs to start a new thread

• Options
    rpshoggothrpshoggoth Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    ...and the odd penchant for defending it.

I'm not sure what the intention is, but the words make it clear the scorn is being spooned out for more than just Blizzard. It is a direct insult to anyone who disagrees with the person making the statement.

I dunno, the more I play and the more people I play with, the more diversity I find in what people like and do not. For starters, I've heard every expansion claimed as someone's favorite.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    And if you like Warlords over Legion then you are in a very small minority.

I'll take grindy, RNG content over zero content any day of the week.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Zero content? What are you talking about? Warlords had a ton of content. I would argue outside of Mythic+ it had just as much content as Legion has right now, albeit with the "world quest equivalent" being localized at two hubs per day instead of all over...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I actually liked Warlords zone aesthetics and questing a bit better. I would love if they would level scale it and put some optional world quests there.

• Options
    I actually liked Warlords zone aesthetics and questing a bit better. I would love if they would level scale it and put some optional world quests there.

Same. I also actually enjoyed doing dungeons there too with the addition of fun dungeon quests you could pick up at the Inn.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Mc zany wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Hippogryph holiday is today.

I love the nod to vanilla with the faction taggable elite who drops nothing special.

Join a raid. It drops a feather that extends the baby hippogryph to 5 days.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    rpshoggoth wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    ...and the odd penchant for defending it.

I'm not sure what the intention is, but the words make it clear the scorn is being spooned out for more than just Blizzard. It is a direct insult to anyone who disagrees with the person making the statement.

I dunno, the more I play and the more people I play with, the more diversity I find in what people like and do not. For starters, I've heard every expansion claimed as someone's favorite.
    Scorn? Direct insult? This is some hella melodrama here.

If a person needs to import an entirely different form of entertainment while they're doing an activity in WoW to keep themselves sane, it's strange to argue that they truly like that activity.

forty on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular

Warlords had plenty of grindy content too. :D

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Zero content? What are you talking about? Warlords had a ton of content. I would argue outside of Mythic+ it had just as much content as Legion has right now, albeit with the "world quest equivalent" being localized at two hubs per day instead of all over...

Can you explain what content that is, then? Because six months into Warlords, I only logged on for raids, and I did that for the remainder of the entire expansion, with a small exception when they released Tanaan Jungle and I logged on for thirty minutes per day to do the Tanaan quests to get flying.

I haven't played this much WoW regularly since TBC, however, what with keystone dungeons being always worthwhile and alts taking a lot of time. It's fantastic.

Dhalphir on
  • Options

Can you explain what content that is, then? Because six months into Warlords, I only logged on for raids, and I did that for the remainder of the entire expansion, with a small exception when they released Tanaan Jungle and I logged on for thirty minutes per day to do the Tanaan quests to get flying.

Off the top of my head:
    -Garrison campaign, with a new chain of quests every week
    -Legendary Ring campaign that spanned across most of the expansion
    -Garrison building related content including dungeon quests, PvP quests, mount taming quests, collecting transmog gear via iron scraps, profession buildings, etc
    -Garrison invasions
    -Garrison missions and follower recruitment, as well as bodyguards (if you had a barracks)
    -Finding treasures which often required fun searching for interesting rewards (Legion turned this into largely useless Order Hall resources)
    -Introduction of weekly events and timewalking
    -Usual stuff - dailies, dungeons, rep grinds, raids, etc

This is off the top of my head. There was a lot more. But I don't see how there was "zero content. " By that definition, Legion only has two raids and nothing else

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Tanaan jungle wasn't in at this point in the expansion, either. I think around this point we were getting the selfie camera that they called a content patch.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular

Off the top of my head:
    -Garrison building related content including dungeon quests, PvP quests, mount taming quests, collecting transmog gear via iron scraps, profession buildings, etc
    -Garrison invasions
    -Garrison missions and follower recruitment, as well as bodyguards (if you had a barracks)
    -Finding treasures which often required fun searching for interesting rewards (Legion turned this into largely useless Order Hall resources)

This is off the top of my head. There was a lot more. But I don't see how there was "zero content. " By that definition, Legion only has two raids and nothing else

... and a new dungeon after the expansion launched. So that is what, infinity % more than WOD had the whole expansion? Also a mini raid so that is like 2.5 raids.

The issue is Legion almost has as much group content as WoD had over its entire expansion but Legion hasn't been out a year yet. And it has at least 2 more full sized raids coming and confirmed 1 more dungeon that is more like 3 in one or something. At least.

The thing is, most of what you listed there was not only boring but also unrewarding. The biggest issue is directly related to the lack of Mythic + in that WoD had just about no reason to even do them even at level 90. So those dungeons were nearly wasted till late in the expansion when they added some reason to do the new mythic dungeons. Which was good, but kind of too late.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Javen wrote: »
    Tanaan jungle wasn't in at this point in the expansion, either. I think around this point we were getting the selfie camera that they called a content patch.

Uh, wasn't that added in the same patch that opened Blackrock Foundry?

Edit:
    The thing is, most of what you listed there was not only boring but also unrewarding.

It wasn't boring to me.... I loved all of it. Legion is boring to me. Group content. Yeah. Great. I can run the same mythic dungeon over and over and over and over and over. Because that's fun.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    released Tanaan Jungle and I logged on for thirty minutes per day to do the Tanaan quests to get flying.

Off the top of my head:
    -Garrison invasions

Well, I don't remember exactly how long it took me to do that stuff, but I did all the content you listed above in Warlords, and yet by this time in Warlords I was logging on once a week for our Sunday night raid, so I was obviously done by now. I'm still logging on to Legion for hours every night. I'm not going to go point by point, but some of the stuff you put up above is just ludicrous. Garrison invasions? Okay, yeah, wow, 15 minutes once a week or so, cool. Garrison missions? I too enjoy Facebook games. Timewalking and weekly events? That doesn't belong in the pro column for Warlords - not that they're not good, but they didn't go away when Legion launched.

High level keystones change dungeons so much that they may as well be new dungeons, so while on the surface it may seem like you're re-running the same dungeon again and again, if you actually dug into running M10 and higher, you'd find that they're great fun.

If you don't have a regular group you play with, and have to rely on PUGs, then that's naturally going to be way less fun, but MMOs have always been that way, and Blizzard has not exactly been subtle about the fact that Legion is their attempt to re-emphasize group content over solo content. The number one best thing about Legion is that they've finally solved the issue that has plagued the game since the launch in Vanilla - that 5 man dungeons are eventually obsolete unless you release new, harder ones.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Pretty much if you are playing WoW and don't like group content, there are likely better options for MMOs. The one thing it does better than the rest at this point is group content.

It is fun to do them over and over because it's always a unique experience based on the real people you are experiencing it with. And as Dhal said, the way Mythic + work it changes enough that you will not be doing the same thing every time and succeeding. The thing is, if you do not value accomplishments in challenging group content, then sure it devolves into same thing over and over.

However, one could build a list of "separate every little thing into a bullet point" for Legion, and it would be just as long if not longer. Hell just getting all the quests done in every zone is more enjoyable IMO. The class hall quest line is WAY better than the garrison thing.

And haha, you listed the legendary ring quest as a POSITIVE? Are you serious? Sure it is better than RNG legendaries, but the actual experience of doing it was a chore at best.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    We got a new Q&A with Ion today.

This bit is probably going to make the rounds given all the high-profile mythic guild disbanding, so might as well put it out:
    • The team wants to shift away from players feeling like there is a finish line for Artifact Power.
    • Being in and running a mythic raiding guild is very hard. It is a drain on your time and emotionally.
    • Guilds have risen and fallen throughout the history of World of Warcraft.
    • Guilds leaving tends to reflect the officers and leaders reaching a point where they can't continue, either due to their situation in life or the changes made to the game. They may just walk away, causing the guild to die without the leadership. The remaining players may spread out and join other guilds that are still doing Mythic raiding.
    • The team isn't saying that everything is fine as it is, there is currently a feeling of a grind that the team is trying to address in Patch 7.2.
    • On some level, the game is not meant to be played 80 hours a week. When M'uru was released and guilds raided for 23 hours over a few days to get their world first, players on the forum asked if there should be attempt limits.

Also has another stuff. No, Balance of Power won't be account wide. That's fine, since weapon appereances are not something that you MUST have.

• Options
    Balance of Power should be account wide, there is no excuse for that. Weapon appearances are not something you must have, but equally BoP is some of the best appearances, and I should not be forced to PUG when I completed the quest itself already.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    We got a new Q&A with Ion today.

This bit is probably going to make the rounds given all the high-profile mythic guild disbanding, so might as well put it out:
    • The team wants to shift away from players feeling like there is a finish line for Artifact Power.
    • Being in and running a mythic raiding guild is very hard. It is a drain on your time and emotionally.
    • Guilds have risen and fallen throughout the history of World of Warcraft.
    • Guilds leaving tends to reflect the officers and leaders reaching a point where they can't continue, either due to their situation in life or the changes made to the game. They may just walk away, causing the guild to die without the leadership. The remaining players may spread out and join other guilds that are still doing Mythic raiding.
    • The team isn't saying that everything is fine as it is, there is currently a feeling of a grind that the team is trying to address in Patch 7.2.
    • On some level, the game is not meant to be played 80 hours a week. When M'uru was released and guilds raided for 23 hours over a few days to get their world first, players on the forum asked if there should be attempt limits.

Also has another stuff. No, Balance of Power won't be account wide. That's fine, since weapon appereances are not something that you MUST have.

Considering getting EN runs will only be more difficult, and can't be done in LFR, not being account-wide is just another way to screw people who like having alts. Also it REALLY screws over transmog hunters who weren't in on the ground floor.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Could make you able to do it in LFR.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »

Could, but i doubt their current philosophy will let them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Arthil wrote: »

I have no problem with locking cosmetic appearances behind Normal and higher raiding (though I freely admit that, as a raider, I'd hardly have a problem with it no matter what)
    Putting it in LFR would then contravene the whole point.

But, if the idea is to give an extra reward for Normal+ raiders, then, hey, I'm a Normal+ raider, give me my reward? Don't make me PUG on eleven alts to get what is one of the better appearances for many specs.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Honestly, I think at the minimum the Balance of Power weapon unlock should be re-organized a bit so it doesn't require the quest to get the baseline appearance. Like, maybe make it key off the world bosses one, and then the questline appearance is just a alternate color off it?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I kind of liked the shipyard and the weekly dungeon timewalking to give you raiding gear I just disliked how random it is back in WOd
    I really doubt they thought out the artifact weapons as some of the talents feel wrong or are highly questionable

• Options
    Whee... that awkward moment when you mean to delete a class trial character but forget to check the name and delete your main instead with 10 days left on the restore timer...

Oh well I guess a week or two break won't hurt anything.

• Options
    Put in a ticket, I'm sure they'll sort it out.

• Options
    Honestly I am pretty ok with it. Things were getting a bit grindy just running world quests and dungeons, I have some other stuff going on in life it would probably be good to focus on, and now I have a good excuse to give people...

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I still don't know if I'm on the Balance of Power questline, so that shows you how much I really care. I still have to find the rest of the soul thingers for Illidan's....story?

I'm actually logging in and staying online more often now than I did this time last year; but I'm focusing on old content I didn't finish. For example, I was about to go to DS for my weekly Experiment-51B disappointment last night; then I randomly decided I'd finally knock out the Naxx meta because reasons.

Now that I'm not focused on raiding, I'm able to experience the content I ignored the past few expansions. I still enjoy Legion content, but I've never been a big dungeons guy. The rest is just quest grinding and fishing for legendaries.

• Options
    NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    [WoW] Casual gaming is the new hardcore.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

Off the top of my head:
    -Garrison invasions

Problem with wod is the garrison generated so much loot/money there basically was no reason to leave it and do what content was available. Their dailies were for apexis crystals to basically buy gear you did not want that was worse than the random stuff your garrison crapped out so after doing the rep thing for flying most never bothered working on them. They were also just totally mindless grind the hell out of mobs in X zone setups. Garrison invasions again cute idea short circuited by the garrison follower missions having MUCH better rewards than anything that dropped from invasions.

Dungeons in WOD were pointless I love dungeon running and WOD had some great dungeons but were basically not even worth doing until basically the expansion was mostly done already.

So basically most of what I did in wod was my once per week garrison campaign stuff and legendary ring and then milled around playing ults. There is a reason I have a full slate of 100+ level characters and it was not because WOD was overflowing with stuff to do at max level.

• Options
    kaid wrote: »

Off the top of my head:
    -Garrison invasions

Problem with wod is the garrison generated so much loot/money there basically was no reason to leave it and do what content was available. Their dailies were for apexis crystals to basically buy gear you did not want that was worse than the random stuff your garrison crapped out so after doing the rep thing for flying most never bothered working on them. They were also just totally mindless grind the hell out of mobs in X zone setups. Garrison invasions again cute idea short circuited by the garrison follower missions having MUCH better rewards than anything that dropped from invasions.

Dungeons in WOD were pointless I love dungeon running and WOD had some great dungeons but were basically not even worth doing until basically the expansion was mostly done already.

So basically most of what I did in wod was my once per week garrison campaign stuff and legendary ring and then milled around playing ults. There is a reason I have a full slate of 100+ level characters and it was not because WOD was overflowing with stuff to do at max level.

Yes, they made Garrisons too powerful, but I still had fun with them. I feel like, in typical fashion, they identified the issue and WAY overcorrected for Legion, rather than just toning thing back a little bit to encourage more types of play.

The apexis thing is the same problem they have now. Why am I doing world quests? The gear is bad now, the cache gear is even worse (830.. Seriously Blizzard?). So it's pointless too.

I thought WoD dungeons were fun when I still had Inn quests to do for them. I agree they were pointless after, same way dungeons in every expansion since TBC were pointless after like the first raid. I had hoped they would expand dungeons to have more fun rewards like the Inn quests, but they went the opposite way with Mythic+.

I understand some people like that, but I don't. I have been let down soooooooooooooo many times by organized group content that I am now at the "fuck it" stage of not wanting to bother. Why find a guild when they will just break up again, same as has happened every expansion? I even had a group of friends I was running EN with, only to have stupid loot drama break that up, like a month into the expansion. So I'm done with it.

I get saying WoD didn't have enough raid content, that is true. But it did have things to do. Legion has almost exclusively group content, and not much else (outside of tedious grinds for no real reward).

So that is my frustration.

• Options
    There are like, 2 guilds based around PA that have never died. I think multiple people here are in them.

Not sure if you are EU though because I know they are NA based. There is also the fitting into schedules issue.

I am kind of sad I found one that was pretty much 100% perfect for me, then after like 2 months of good times with them I got a job that killed any chance of raiding with them, let alone playing WoW at all. If I ever get a day schedule again I will likely come back, but I would have a lot of work to do.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure you're horde, but there are always people around in the CTR guilds on Aerie Peak - Ally

• Options
    Both of the long standing PA guilds are horde even -_-

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well I got the desto weapon as affliction so that was fun
    But since I have all three weapons I feel the destro had the best story followed by the affliction one

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The saber prowls the plaza. Alright.

The owl hoots at dusk. Okay.

The cruel cask master has breathed his last. Really? Really?

• Options
    I was listening to alt leveling advice recently and they suggested doing all your spec weapon quests before 110. Good XP and it's needed for the artifact OH questline, if you happen to care later. However, I'm terrified to try to get this done on my Paladin; whom I've only ever played as Ret or Prot.

On my main, I had the gear to power through the Resto (Sham) quests by just DPSing everything down. I'm going to try that this time but I'm not expecting good results. Any tips?

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Judgment -> Holy Shock -> Crusader Strike. It's basically a simplified Ret rotation. Pop the wings and bang, the dirt is gone.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    the holy paladin one can definitely be done as Prot.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Yeah, I didn't say which one I was doing. I needed to do the Holy one. I did it as Prot but died multiple times to the end duder (which is kinda expected). It wasn't horrible though.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    There is one point in the quest where you have to switch to Holy because you do not have the required spell otherwise. Other than that you should be fine.

This discussion has been closed.