Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Seizing the means of Structural [chat]eneering

13567100

Posts

  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I already wasted "L'Etat, c'est moi" on my last arrogant [chat] OP,

    But I just want you to know that it continues to be true.

    He/Him
    Narwhal, you should make "Sometimes while someone is explaining something to me, I am thinking about rockets" your signature
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    One of my friends was interviewing people for a devops type job and about 50% of the candidates couldn't even fizzbuzz

    people with honest-to-god CS degrees couldn't even start to make up a 10 line program in pseudocode

    Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    RiemannLives
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    i am so god damn mad about the press conference

    i am trying to restrict my yelling about it to the thread about live events but like

    fuck

    HakkekageRMS Oceanic
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Doctor thought I had the flu but IT TURNS OUT I DON'T SUCK IT, FLU.
    Instead I have pneumonia.

    DO NOT DIE

    BUILD ME MY ROBOT BODY

    AresProphet
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    SiG if you don't ban skippy in your first 100 days you'll never have the political capital to ban him ever again and you know his destructive ideas will ruin our society in the long term

    this modministration is already beset by turmoil, suspect ties to outside forums

    there are questions that need answering and I'm calling for an independent probe

    I want sig's tax returns, I want to know how she paid for that new car, all of it

    The real issue isn't the fake news being reported ok, the real news is, how does the news know to report this fake news

    The answer, ladies and gentlemen, is skippy

    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
    ChanusKid Presentable
  • ChanusChanus Sugoi! ^_____^Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    tumblr_olhechmar41qzeo2zo1_400.jpg

    Look here's some nonsense to get you started

    HW beat Obama by how much?

    well you see dukakis ran an ad where he was in a tank so

    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
    emnmnmeBeNarwhal
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Registered User regular
    Skappy

    are you more free now that you have ever been?

    y/y?

    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx And I said, hol up Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Aioua wrote: »
    One of my friends was interviewing people for a devops type job and about 50% of the candidates couldn't even fizzbuzz

    people with honest-to-god CS degrees couldn't even start to make up a 10 line program in pseudocode

    You can't be fucking serious.

    I have a CIS degree and I can do that.

    jungleroomx on
    Make. Time.
  • ChanusChanus Sugoi! ^_____^Registered User regular
    southern poverty law has published their hate map for 2016 and

    i am struck by how boring white supremacist groups names are

    though there's one in virginia just called "silver bullet gun oil" and like

    right to the point i guess

    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
    Kid PresentableElldren
  • AresProphetAresProphet I see a darkness in my fate I'll drive my car without the brakesRegistered User regular
    It's nice to see So It Goes already bringing order, justice, and some semblance of peace to the wastelands that are the Immortan Trump threads

    Witnessed!

    oh, gimme some time
    show me the foothold from which I can climb
    yeah, when I feel low
    you show me a signpost for where I should go
    PowerpuppiesHakkekageHahnsoo1Kid PresentableBeNarwhalwanderingElldren
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular


    Just a good summary of the big fucking deal today, except for of course whatever shit goes down while I'm typing this post

    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
    PonyChanuswanderingElldren
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    One of my friends was interviewing people for a devops type job and about 50% of the candidates couldn't even fizzbuzz

    people with honest-to-god CS degrees couldn't even start to make up a 10 line program in pseudocode

    addendum

    when he told me this I was like "what's fizzbuzz" and then I banged it out in 5 minutes in powershell and I'm not a even programmer, at the time I was T1 desktop support

    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    FeralElldren
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    tumblr_olhechmar41qzeo2zo1_400.jpg

    Look here's some nonsense to get you started

    HW beat Obama by how much?

    well you see dukakis ran an ad where he was in a tank so

    yeah it was just embarrassing, why would the American public ever want someone so incredibly unpresidential

    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    Chanuswandering
  • FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

    This would be so cool.

    I'd probably find a way to start watching again.

    Eccleston, Tennant, and Capaldi are all fabulous actors, but Swinton takes her costars to school in every scene, and I would love to see what she brings to Doctor Who.

    Nova_C wrote: »
    "I'm arresting you for failing to check yourself. You have the right to wreck yourself."
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    One of my friends was interviewing people for a devops type job and about 50% of the candidates couldn't even fizzbuzz

    people with honest-to-god CS degrees couldn't even start to make up a 10 line program in pseudocode

    You can't be fucking serious.

    I have a CIS degree and I can do that.

    I'll be honest. I don't know if I could either. But I can find tests to break any program over my goddamn knee.

    Damn it, it's fucking noon. I demand to know if Yami shit on a desk yet.

    Watch me sometimes stream games.
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    southern poverty law has published their hate map for 2016 and

    i am struck by how boring white supremacist groups names are

    though there's one in virginia just called "silver bullet gun oil" and like

    right to the point i guess
    Did they just toss a bunch of random nouns that they like in there?

    Di87pOF.jpg
    PSN: Hahnsoo | MHGU: Hahnsoo, Switch FC: SW-0085-2679-5212
    Chanus
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Subnautica: Very Good

    Very pretty and calming but still has the fun frisson of being underwater which is always spooky as heck.

    Take a moment to donate what you can to the International Rescue Committee, the National Immigration Law Center, the Southern Poverty Law Center, and the American Civil Liberties Union. There has never been a more urgent moment to do so.
    BeNarwhal
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Having interviewed STEM job applicants I can say that while there is no shortage of STEM graduates, there is a shortage of good STEM graduates.

    My company isn't even trying to underpay or offer shit benefits and they've already accepted that they won't be getting google and apple level talent. And yet still, candidate after candidate cannot answer simple questions.

    The ones that can answer are typically swimming in offers and take whatever tickles their fancy.

    Can you give examples? This kind of thing makes me curious

    canny edge detection and building boxes, etc

    The canny edge detection story is actually a good example. My company does computer vision, so every applicant for certain positions has taken a computer vision course and listed computer vision as a specialization for a post-graduate degree. So keep that in mind.

    Canny edge detection is one of the basic, most commonly taught computer vision algorithms. Its an image transform that takes in a fully detailed photographic image and spits out another image that looks more like a line drawing. Its great for, as its name suggests, detecting edges. It lets a computer greatly cut down the information content of an image, and make the content left over invariant to lighting, shading, etc. It's typically taught in Image Processing or Computer Vision 101 type classes.

    I asked an open-ended question of a candidate. "How would you find a cardboard box in an image of a cardboard box?" The question tests a variety of things, but it's very open to discussion. One candidate in their answer mentioned the canny edge detector, but the way they used it in their design seemed a little odd and skipped a lot of steps, so I asked them to go back and explain. They looked at me like I had just ripped their pants down, so I knew I was in for a treat.

    Over the course of their explanation, it became clear that they didn't know what the canny edge detector was or what it did or what its inputs and outputs were. These are not hard questions. It takes in a photo, it spits out a line drawing. But they couldn't say it because they didn't know it. They just threw out the words and hoped I'd let them gloss over it. And I would have, if their usage had made any sense.

    From there the interview went rapidly downhill. It was clear they didn't have any computer vision experience and they failed the basic C/C++ programming test too. And this is not uncommon. This is representative of about half of the people who make it through the screening process. These are people with nice GPAs and degrees from good institutions. It's really demoralizing.

    I mean, if I'm ready canny edge right on wikipedia, it's a grayscale/bluring (reduce the number of tiny sharp edges?) image where they scan over the ints in the bitmap and check for something breaking a threshold between adjacent values, seems pretty straight forward.

    If you were doing computer vision as a degree this seems like something you'd be doing every god damned day for research and projects to the point where it'd be second nature.

    Is the C++ just like.. testing if you know for/if/else/variables or are you doing OOP, structs, bit packing, etc ?

    Canny is a very specific implementation of that, one that was invented in the 70s and is always cited as the default / standard edge detection technique. But essentially yes. You're looking for gradient that exceeds a certain threshold. Yes is is used like every day.

    C++ test is a little nitpicky, but it's nothing crazy. We ask about macros and the preprocessor, keywords like static. We ask about pre and post increment stuff, pointer questions, some basic "reimplement basic string parsing" stuff, one question that tests that the candidate can write a sane function definition for something that need to use dynamically allocated memory. I'd call it a middling C++ test. Goes beyond if/else and loops, but stops sort of advanced crazy shit like multiple inheritance or weird ass corner cases that would be mean to expect someone to know.

    I thought the macro question is a little mean at first, but when I watched a few people reason through it, I was impressed with how readily it exposes the frauds.

    It really is kind of crazy the kind of shit you can do with macros though.

    You don't hardly even need to write c++ code, just do it all in the preprocessor macro language.

    Ladies.
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    shit I guess I can't call my blunderbuss silver bullet gun oil now.


    Arch wrote: »

    I never expected this burn from captain bushmeat
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    What's a fizzbuzz?

    I should do a codeacademy on Javascript or something

    Twitch Streaming T/W/TH and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Me on Steam
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    jrx I too have witnessed fizzbuzz failures

    sig.gif
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong My lit AF posts will leave you shook Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Aioua wrote: »
    One of my friends was interviewing people for a devops type job and about 50% of the candidates couldn't even fizzbuzz

    people with honest-to-god CS degrees couldn't even start to make up a 10 line program in pseudocode

    This is why companies are like "We cannot find enough qualified people for jobs, we need H1B visas", and people are like "but there are tons of unemployed STEM people!". Neither side is lying, both facts happen to be true at the same time. They're not mutual exclusives

    Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    RiemannLivesElldren
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    oh good, here comes the swarm of texts

    ...yay

  • ChanusChanus Sugoi! ^_____^Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    southern poverty law has published their hate map for 2016 and

    i am struck by how boring white supremacist groups names are

    though there's one in virginia just called "silver bullet gun oil" and like

    right to the point i guess
    Did they just toss a bunch of random nouns that they like in there?

    ok so we're a hate group but what's four things we like

    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
    Hahnsoo1Kid Presentable
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    One of my friends was interviewing people for a devops type job and about 50% of the candidates couldn't even fizzbuzz

    people with honest-to-god CS degrees couldn't even start to make up a 10 line program in pseudocode

    You can't be fucking serious.

    I have a CIS degree and I can do that.

    I'll be honest. I don't know if I could either. But I can find tests to break any program over my goddamn knee.

    I bet you could

    input: a list of random ints with values between 1 and 100
    output: for each number print "fizz" if it's (evenly) divisible by 3, "buzz" if it's divisible by 5, and "fizzbuzz" if divisible by both.

    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Eastern coastal temptressRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Doctor thought I had the flu but IT TURNS OUT I DON'T SUCK IT, FLU.
    Instead I have pneumonia.

    DO NOT DIE

    BUILD ME MY ROBOT BODY

    GOVERNMENT AIN'T FUNDING MY RESEARCH

  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    One of my friends was interviewing people for a devops type job and about 50% of the candidates couldn't even fizzbuzz

    people with honest-to-god CS degrees couldn't even start to make up a 10 line program in pseudocode

    This is why companies are like "We cannot find enough qualified people for jobs, we need H1B visas", and people are like "but there are tons of unemployed STEM people!". Neither side is lying, both facts happen to be true at the same time. They're not mutual exclusives

    I don't think it's THAT bad.

    sig.gif
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Write a fizzbuzz inside the definition of your loop, ignore the body.

    Ladies.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong My lit AF posts will leave you shook Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Having interviewed STEM job applicants I can say that while there is no shortage of STEM graduates, there is a shortage of good STEM graduates.

    My company isn't even trying to underpay or offer shit benefits and they've already accepted that they won't be getting google and apple level talent. And yet still, candidate after candidate cannot answer simple questions.

    The ones that can answer are typically swimming in offers and take whatever tickles their fancy.

    Can you give examples? This kind of thing makes me curious

    canny edge detection and building boxes, etc

    The canny edge detection story is actually a good example. My company does computer vision, so every applicant for certain positions has taken a computer vision course and listed computer vision as a specialization for a post-graduate degree. So keep that in mind.

    Canny edge detection is one of the basic, most commonly taught computer vision algorithms. Its an image transform that takes in a fully detailed photographic image and spits out another image that looks more like a line drawing. Its great for, as its name suggests, detecting edges. It lets a computer greatly cut down the information content of an image, and make the content left over invariant to lighting, shading, etc. It's typically taught in Image Processing or Computer Vision 101 type classes.

    I asked an open-ended question of a candidate. "How would you find a cardboard box in an image of a cardboard box?" The question tests a variety of things, but it's very open to discussion. One candidate in their answer mentioned the canny edge detector, but the way they used it in their design seemed a little odd and skipped a lot of steps, so I asked them to go back and explain. They looked at me like I had just ripped their pants down, so I knew I was in for a treat.

    Over the course of their explanation, it became clear that they didn't know what the canny edge detector was or what it did or what its inputs and outputs were. These are not hard questions. It takes in a photo, it spits out a line drawing. But they couldn't say it because they didn't know it. They just threw out the words and hoped I'd let them gloss over it. And I would have, if their usage had made any sense.

    From there the interview went rapidly downhill. It was clear they didn't have any computer vision experience and they failed the basic C/C++ programming test too. And this is not uncommon. This is representative of about half of the people who make it through the screening process. These are people with nice GPAs and degrees from good institutions. It's really demoralizing.

    I mean, if I'm ready canny edge right on wikipedia, it's a grayscale/bluring (reduce the number of tiny sharp edges?) image where they scan over the ints in the bitmap and check for something breaking a threshold between adjacent values, seems pretty straight forward.

    If you were doing computer vision as a degree this seems like something you'd be doing every god damned day for research and projects to the point where it'd be second nature.

    Is the C++ just like.. testing if you know for/if/else/variables or are you doing OOP, structs, bit packing, etc ?

    Canny is a very specific implementation of that, one that was invented in the 70s and is always cited as the default / standard edge detection technique. But essentially yes. You're looking for gradient that exceeds a certain threshold. Yes is is used like every day.

    C++ test is a little nitpicky, but it's nothing crazy. We ask about macros and the preprocessor, keywords like static. We ask about pre and post increment stuff, pointer questions, some basic "reimplement basic string parsing" stuff, one question that tests that the candidate can write a sane function definition for something that need to use dynamically allocated memory. I'd call it a middling C++ test. Goes beyond if/else and loops, but stops sort of advanced crazy shit like multiple inheritance or weird ass corner cases that would be mean to expect someone to know.

    I thought the macro question is a little mean at first, but when I watched a few people reason through it, I was impressed with how readily it exposes the frauds.

    It really is kind of crazy the kind of shit you can do with macros though.

    You don't hardly even need to write c++ code, just do it all in the preprocessor macro language.

    After asking that macro question we say something like "ok very nice you got it! but if you ever write code like that you are fired. haha just kidding! seriously though. gone immediately."

    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    PowerpuppiesRiemannLivesbowen
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    southern poverty law has published their hate map for 2016 and

    i am struck by how boring white supremacist groups names are

    though there's one in virginia just called "silver bullet gun oil" and like

    right to the point i guess

    Are they only racist against werewolves?

    nibXTE7.png
    Chanus
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    50% of being able to fizzbuzz is basic programming knowledge
    the other 50% is knowing that the modulo operator is a thing that exists

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    BeNarwhaljungleroomxbowenHounInfamyDeferredDronus86ElldrenYoshisummons
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I very much agree with what Donkey Kong wrote above. About half of candidates that get through all the layers of screening to even get to an interview seem unable to answer basic questions about things they chose to list on their resume. If someone doesn't know X that's usually not a problem But don't then go and say you know X on your fucking resume.

    I want examples so that I can feel cool for knowing things that other people don't

    oh for example what is the difference between a value type and a reference type (or struct vs class) in C#. Why would you use a List<> vs a Dictionary<>. (for someone who claimed to know C#)

  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    One of my friends was interviewing people for a devops type job and about 50% of the candidates couldn't even fizzbuzz

    people with honest-to-god CS degrees couldn't even start to make up a 10 line program in pseudocode

    You can't be fucking serious.

    I have a CIS degree and I can do that.

    I'll be honest. I don't know if I could either. But I can find tests to break any program over my goddamn knee.

    I bet you could

    input: a list of random ints with values between 1 and 100
    output: for each number print "fizz" if it's (evenly) divisible by 3, "buzz" if it's divisible by 5, and "fizzbuzz" if divisible by both.

    for each i in inputlist
    if i mod 3 == 0
    print fizz
    if i mod 5 ==0
    print buzz
    print newline
    next

    Okay, yeah, that's dumb easy if you've done any programming ever.

    Damn it, it's fucking noon. I demand to know if Yami shit on a desk yet.

    Watch me sometimes stream games.
  • ChanusChanus Sugoi! ^_____^Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    southern poverty law has published their hate map for 2016 and

    i am struck by how boring white supremacist groups names are

    though there's one in virginia just called "silver bullet gun oil" and like

    right to the point i guess

    Are they only racist against werewolves?

    that would be awesome actually

    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck (♡°◡°) Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I am fearful I am going to get destroyed in my next job interview

    I was like, huh I can't say what static is

    then I looked it up and it's like oh yeah, you can call the function without first having an object of that type

    and if it's like a static variable, it's basically global across all instances of that object

    and you can't create an interface for static shit so that's a knock against it in the test system we use (google mocks/tests)

    yeah I knew those three things, but I had to do a google first to get my bearings : (

    skippydumptruck on
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Shout-out to @Kid Presentable for his unwavering and enthusiastic support of my dictatorial regime, by the way!

    You and the fine [chat]ters like you are the reason I do what I do, KP! <3

    He/Him
    Narwhal, you should make "Sometimes while someone is explaining something to me, I am thinking about rockets" your signature
    Kid Presentable
  • ChanusChanus Sugoi! ^_____^Registered User regular
    these hillbillies are so fkin team edward that southern poverty law put them on their hate map

    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
    matt has a problemPreacherHakkekageKid PresentableTTODewback
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Man I hate having to do investigations. Know most everyone around here so get to see shitty politics in action.

This discussion has been closed.