As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Conan Exiles: Penny Arcade Server Now Online

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I just accidentally found the Black Keep, one of the new dungeons.

I looked up Black Ice. Putting this in spoiler tags for those of you who like figuring things out on your own.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh4NAN3NJSc

--Ymir religion can build a special pick-axe. Use the Ymir axe on trees to get Ice Shards. Combine ice shards at Ymir altar to get whole bits of ice
    --Alternatively, you can mine raw ice up in the north in the mountains. Ice has an expiration timer on it (melting) and it weighs a ton
    --Combine Ice and Ymir altar tokens to craft Black Ice
    --Black Ice can also be mined by anybody directly from the corpses of the new giant rocknose monsters.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Built a cabin just over the Tradeway pass into the northern zone, NW of the Arena camp, if anyone needs to use it. Animals are much tougher up there with some good combat moves-- wolves are always trying to circle you, while boars charge. Inventory lag is pretty bad but hopefully that will clear up soon.

I built a single, small cabin kinda in the middle. It's near the circular town called "New Agarath" or something like that. I don't know if that's where I'll stay, but I want to be close to some human camps this time.

As we explore more, we'll figure out where the good thralls are in the new area.

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Looks like Elim already updated the server so people can jump on.

I jumped on it right away lol.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • MarauderMarauder Registered User regular
    Spent a good 6 hours last night tooling around, seems fun, has potential. Some parts are a bit janky, my character kept wanting to spiderman crawl my stairs. Made a nice looking river cabin.

Just to confirm, characters and building are bound to the server you play on, right? And if there is a 40 person cap, does that mean only 40 can be on at once or that once 40 people make characters on that server theres no more room? It was confusing to see a server browser with hundreds of 40 man servers for a "MMO"

I need to restart on the PA server I suppose.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Yes, one character per server with 40 people can be on the server at once.

Elim's server is updated.

Patch notes:
    Helpful Notes:
    -If you have troubles with keybindings, see this thread:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/440900/discussions/0/1470842897552603127/
    -Putting weapons/tools away when sprinting is intentional.

Patch Notes
    Ymir altar feat is now correctly unlocked at character creation when picked.
    Certain meshes were missing from weapons. These have been added back.
    On PvP servers you can now damage other player's buildings.
    Serverlist now properly displays G-portal logo
    Journey Steps now properly complete
    Journey Chapter 1 now completes correctly
    Death Knight no longer tilts when walking down slopes
    You now correctly receive Map Discovery notifications.
    You now also correctly receive Journey notifications
    Fixed an issue with some foundations not properly upgrading
    Buildings can be placed easier in certain scenarios-especially when using a controller
    Fixed envious AI - your Thralls no longer attack unconscious NPCs which you are dragging home to break on wheel of pain!
    Easier to connect to a dedicated server

Known Issues
    New Tier 2 and Tier 3 buildings as well as other wood buildings have a texture/shadow problem. We are currently investigating.
    The new machines (Press etc) have incorrect image, this will be fixed in the next patch.
    Some items still show as "fiber bedroll" but this will be updated in the next patch.

• BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    So I was originally going to just hang out and try the new update stuff around my existing house, but at the last minute went full in on my trip north. Packed as much as I could carry in supplies and took off. Ended up at the Great Dam, set up a temporary workshop, and got started building a huge fort. Got a couple main buildings completed, and most of the fort layout. Really slow process when building using insulated parts.

Here is some advice for living up north:
    1. keep all that Resin you get from hacking down trees. You will need a ton of it later.
    2. Everything hits harder. Wild thralls will stomp your butt.
    3. Get a fur outfit if you plan on going close to the snow area. Cold causes your food to empty really fast. Carry extra.
    4. Iron deposits everywhere, not a lot of coal.
    5. Saber-tooth tigers move really fast.
    6. One wolf is no problem, its the 5 other ones in the trees that are the problem.
    7. Harvested animals give mostly fur. Light and Thick hide comes in a lot smaller quantities.
    8. Put fish traps down ASAP, and a Dry Rack. Use bark and fish in the dry rack. Never go hungry again.

Hope to see more of you up north soon.

3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
    Everything has so much health up north. I'm not sure if it's over-tuned right now and needs to be scaled back, or if they just intend for players to group together. But those northmen are very difficult to solo, even 1v1. In my experience last night, clearing camps solo is all but impossible. I don't know how thrall taking is going to work, especially now that we have this new AI that seems much more aggressive and inclined to swarm. Everything swarms now. And surrounds. You pull 1 guy, and you get the whole camp. And they will try to surround you and beat you down from all sides.

Circle strafing is way less effective now, and on top of that, the auto-sheath when you run has a profound impact on combat. Like, I used to be able to sprint-charge at someone. But now I just have to mosey. They need to add some sort of lunge attacks to make up for the lack of sprint in combat.

Before I even left the desert region, I noticed that the lack of sprint makes fighting spiders very difficult. They have crippling poison, and with their back-skittering, catching them and hitting them is very difficult without sprint.

• BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    Yea, until you can get hardened steal and star metal weapons, you are at a severe disadvantage against thralls. I am thinking of taking up archery again to use against thralls.

3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Man they did not need to make spiders more annoying to kill

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Everything has so much health up north. I'm not sure if it's over-tuned right now and needs to be scaled back, or if they just intend for players to group together. But those northmen are very difficult to solo, even 1v1. In my experience last night, clearing camps solo is all but impossible. I don't know how thrall taking is going to work, especially now that we have this new AI that seems much more aggressive and inclined to swarm. Everything swarms now. And surrounds. You pull 1 guy, and you get the whole camp. And they will try to surround you and beat you down from all sides.

Circle strafing is way less effective now, and on top of that, the auto-sheath when you run has a profound impact on combat. Like, I used to be able to sprint-charge at someone. But now I just have to mosey. They need to add some sort of lunge attacks to make up for the lack of sprint in combat.

Before I even left the desert region, I noticed that the lack of sprint makes fighting spiders very difficult. They have crippling poison, and with their back-skittering, catching them and hitting them is very difficult without sprint.

Maybe they want everyone to be an archer?

I really don't care for having a seperate power attack button... Either I have to put block on a different mouse button from every game ever, or push power attack down to the keyboard... ugh.

My block/offhand button was automatically assigned to mouse button 3 for me.

Built a nice little hunting lodge in the oasis right by the sentinels to start off and get light armored up before heading up for a bigger base near ore and coal. I left it with no doors so any new starters can use it. I also made a sign with directions out of the desert.

Does the bed give any benefit or is it just a cosmetic version of the bedroll? Also, i love how I can make bowls and flagons but no table to put them on lol.

I think a clan that just builds roads and bridges and way stations would be fun, but they would definitely need to tweak the ownership rules on placed items and being able to reclaim them once placed.... I destroyed a placeholder foundation I had laid so that i could line up an adjoining building and it destroyed the entire building, because that piece of foundation connected it to the original building.

Is this type of small server set up going to be the goal in full release? Or are they going to go to instanced mega servers?

The bed is permanent.

Are you playing on Elim's server or on an official server?

There will not be mega servers. I believe official servers have a 40 player cap. It is kept low intentionally so you don't have overcrowding.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I destroyed a placeholder foundation I had laid so that i could line up an adjoining building and it destroyed the entire building, because that piece of foundation connected it to the original building.

Welcome to CONAN, baby ! You are considered a n00b until you've destroyed at least 10 buildings completely by accident.

On Elims server, started fresh last night and got to level 13 before I headed out for some drinks.

I get the over crowding issue but I'm not sure how massive the PvP will ever get if you only have 40 people in the server, and they all have to have grinded and leveled up to be competitive. Its fine for me, I like just building without some dick coming and blowing up my shit or ganking me and taking all my gear, but long term there should be some form of shared area where people can all come together and opt in to compete.

There are a couple of guilds floating around Elimination's server. Not trying to pressure you to join one of them, but if you do you will be able to share their existing buildings and crafting sites, which will make your life much easier.

Yeah, to mirror Fairchild, having a guild is super beneficial.

I think there are two major ones to choose from on the server. Fairchild, myself, Morticious and maybe another one or two are in "Vae Victus" and we have pretty good coverage of bases in the southern region. Fairchild is built by the Dogs of War camp, Mort is built by the Pirate Ship, and I'm built kind of right smack in the middle of the map.

The other guild is the one that Karoz, Elimination, and a few other people are in.

With joining a guild, you gain access to crafting tables, wheel of pain, and everything else. We all maintain our own bases, at least in Vae Victus, but we can take safe harbor in each other's bases and are able to use crafting stations and such.

The only downside to joining a clan is that you do give up personal ownership of your buildings and thralls. When you join a clan, everything you have becomes clan property. Not a big deal as long as you trust everyone in the clan. But if you ever want to leave the clan, you would lose everything.

I booted this up today and unfortunately it doesn't run any better than before. I don't think my laptop is really up to this one, so it'll be a while before I come back to it

Fairchild wrote: »
    ... and another update out today to fix some of the most egregious bugs.

Did they fix the inventory lag?

That issue more than anything else makes this game nearly untolerable for me.

I've still been exploring and I started marking out the territory for my new T3 Ice Castle, but man, 15 seconds of lag everytime you open your inventory is pretty horrible.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Fairchild wrote: »
    ... and another update out today to fix some of the most egregious bugs.

Did they fix the inventory lag?

That issue more than anything else makes this game nearly untolerable for me.

I've still been exploring and I started marking out the territory for my new T3 Ice Castle, but man, 15 seconds of lag everytime you open your inventory is pretty horrible.
    Overheating now reduces max stamina instead of adding encumberance
    Tyros the Death Bringer has now learned how to properly walk down stairs
    Reduced health on Tyros the Death Bringer
    Reduced drop rate of Demon blood from Baby Dragons
    Removed explosive jars from loot tables
    Made adjustments to servers that could sometimes disappear after a while.
    Fixed instance of server settings not displaying correctly in the server browser.
    Fixed a shadow flickering problem with new biome T2 and T3 buildings
    Fixed an issue where the loading screen would disappear when connecting to server.
    Crafting time on items has been rebalanced (hunting bow etc).
    A female character will no longer turn male after relogging.
    Characters should no longer lose creation appearances on login.
    Fixed an issue with music looping in Highlands.
    Added the correct GUI sidebar "instruction tabs" for the new machines
    Fixed a problem with recipes on shortcut bar failing to create new items
    Fixed a bug with crafting queues which could cause servers to stall and become unresponsive
    Fixed a bug in the animation system which could trigger a server and client crash

Elim's server is updated and back up.

• Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    I just bought this since it's on sale. I don't know how into the game I'm gonna get at this point, but I'm wondering what the pvp situation is on Elim's server (I take it that's the one you guys are playing)? Like a run down of what you guys would consider dos/don'ts.

I honestly don't know a thing about the game but I generally play these games for the pvp/pking but don't wanna cause problems if it's frowned upon.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Heh, there's already a mod to let you run with items again: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1114014912

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    The running with items thing honestly does not bother me as much as the attack buttons thing. I am used to constantly switching up weapons on pc in games like skyrim or farcry:primal but no other game really has a secondary attack AND block button at the same time.

Ash of Yew wrote: »
    I just bought this since it's on sale. I don't know how into the game I'm gonna get at this point, but I'm wondering what the pvp situation is on Elim's server (I take it that's the one you guys are playing)? Like a run down of what you guys would consider dos/don'ts.

I honestly don't know a thing about the game but I generally play these games for the pvp/pking but don't wanna cause problems if it's frowned upon.

We don't really PVP.

Except that one time when Fairchild stabbed me clean through the entire body with his trident and split me literally in half. But it's cool cause he was trying to save me. And missed.

I thought that, like a starfish, each half of you would grow into a full Lucas.

• GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    This new update makes everything load so much slower for me.

Yeah I started experiencing the inventory lag. I think its because your inventory is tied to the crafting screen, so its making a call on that every time you open a container, even if youre not crafting.

I didnt notice it all until i went up to the next level of mason and got like 30 new recipies for building pieces.

Also egads the iron drain on maintaining tools/weapons.....

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    huge load times when opening containers, and bunch of my thralls disappeared from my tower.
    I think i'll be waiting for a few updates before i go see what's up north.

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Thanks again @Karoz for helping me manage the server updates. Especially right now because I am injured and undergoing surgeries and stuff so I am in various states of physical disrepair right now. I tend to log in and run an update every evening though on my own either way.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    Due to the high Resin cost of all of the T2 and T3 structures, I had to take a break from my base building to build a logging and lumber camp near a forest so I could generate the Resin and lumber (shaped wood) that these new insulated structures require.

How hard is the new area to get to?

There are a couple natural paths. I've just been climbing the stone wall if there isn't a natural crossing at the place I'm at when I want to get there.

Have any of y'all who have been exploring the new area found any sources of Brimstone yet? I need to get the steel industry up and running again but I'm coming up short on Brimstone.

The Living Mountains can be mined for them but they have so much health it's not really worth it. Took me and Mal--plus like 3+ deaths--just to take one down. May need a supply chain from the south.