As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Conan Exiles: Penny Arcade Server Now Online

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    so um, how do you "load" a bow? have a bow, have arrows, dragged arrows onto bow in hotbar, nadda, put arrows in hot bar with bow, nadda..and..now i'm out of ideas

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Equip the bow and then click on the arrows in your inventory, I think. Be aware that the shot speeds are significantly faster now, so you will burn through ammo quick.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Drag the arrows to the bow and right click IIRC

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The auto-sheath thing on running has really hurt thrall taking too. Can't run with the bindings equipped. As soon as you sprint you leave your unconscious friend behind and you have to go re-bind them.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Oh Jesus, that would make thrall taking completely interminable.

Yeah, they need to make a list of exceptions of weapons and offhand items that don't auto-sheath.

Torches, Bindings, and probably all resource gathering tools should not auto sheath. Even sprinting from tree to tree to gather lumber is just that much more annoying now because of this change. Serious quality of life downgrade.

They obviously did not entirely think that change through, or test it beyond "yup, it's working." If they had done any sort of user experience testing at all, red flags would have gotten thrown all over.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I started to play again and found that I was overheating ... a lot. I worked my way up the left hand side, but found that I was dying of heatstroke before I'd make it to the relic hunter city. "I better travel at night, there's only a few scorpion."

Apparently, it's just as hot at night as it is during the day. The new temperature system might need a little work.

• BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    Yea, I was surprised that it doesn't actually get colder at night in the north. I was hoping for temperature change with time, and maybe a snowstorm with an extreme temp drop.

3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
  • MarauderMarauder Registered User regular
    Its like they saw the temperature feature in Breath of the Wild and thought it was cool and then didn't look at any of the nuance that comes with BotW system. But its EA so I'm sure it will get honed.

It isn't EA.

Also, BotW wasn't the first game to do temperature. ARK has it and if anything, I would say Conan is copying that, and not BotW.

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    EA, early access, not Electronic Arts. It's definitely early access on the Steam page.

Ahh yeah my brain equates EA with Electronic Arts. My mistake.

• MarauderMarauder Registered User regular
    Sorry yeah I meant Early Access, but there isn't much difference between that and Electronic Arts to be fair.

Both abbreviations stand for half baked games that arent ready for full release, just one developer is truthful about it and one isnt :)

• Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    It's kinda weird they had an "expansion" in early access. Isn't that just called building on the base game at this point? =P

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's one of the unfortunate ways that Early Access distorts the development process. If this game was being developed in a closed environment, there's no way on earth that they'd be adding a new land mass when the basics of the game aren't functioning fully yet, but the game is essentially released so they need new content because people are already playing it.

The new landmass is beautifully rendered from a graphics standpoint. But it needs several tuning and pruning passes. It needs more coal. It needs less wild animals. It needs more content in the northnermost parts of the map. Also, if Living Mountains are going to be the primary source of Black Ice for non-Ymir worshippers, they need to be massively tuned down, and more spawns added.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Building my THIRD cabin in the woods now, inside of the Priest King's Retreat entry. Looks like a very promising location with some very promising recruits camped on the other side of the lake. I'll leave my first two cabins in place in case other people need them.

• BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    Hit level 60 yesterday, and this is where I am at game wise:
    - Finished all the main structures (in insulated wood) of my fort by the Great Dam. Still lots of work to do on the details though.
    - No Star Metal found as of yet.
    - Time to start Thrall capturing.

If you see me on, come visit. Don't get a lot of visitors up by the Great Dam. No archers out, so you wont be shot on site. Can show you how to harvest black ice and gank northern thralls.

3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
    I could definitely get a lesson in Black Ice. I'll probably be on tonight after work.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I had just gotten a character getting up to be able to have some fun, and I have been super busy since right before the update dropped. I may start over (again) to take advantage of the new god and see what happens there, but I don't know when I'll be able to do that.

Hopefully a little this weekend? I'll try to say hi if I see anyone!

I've got an "employee" shopping this for this weekend. I need some staff in my new base.

Specifically I will be looking for the following:

x1 Alchemist
    x4 Carpenter
    x1 Blacksmith
    x2 Tanner
    x3 Cook
    x1 Task Master
    x1 Priest of Set

I'll probably go back to the desert for a lot of that. I know where the Alchemist spawns on the ship. And I think there's a Dafari Tanner spawn somewhere near my old base, because I've got one and I don't remember spending much time hunting Dafari camps. Much of my time this weekend will be spent thrall taking.

On the topic of thrall taking, are any of y'all on the Wednesday Knights server going to be online and around this weekend?

Would anyone be interested in doing some human hunting in the north? Those camps are tough enough that we probably want to band together and split the spoils of our raids.

Could we get a server restart when possible? NPC's are not respawning and most of the human camps are empty.

FYI, I put up a Ymir shrine at the oasis near the river (south of the hill leading up to the iron and coal area); if you need a hoarfrost axe, they are made at the shrine with 15 iron bars (I think? Maybe 10) and a stick
    (I'm Dornhar or whatever that name was, fyi)

Patch today.

Full Patch notes:
    Hotfix 30.08.2017
    AUGUST 30 - COMMUNITY MANAGER (JENS ERIK)
    Hey! it's time to update! Make sure to restart your clients to get the latest version of Conan Exiles.

We have released a new patch, which introduces the first new changes to the sprinting and wielding system. There are also fixes for several big issues players have reported to us recently (like keyboard bindings).

Here are the full patch notes for this update:

Sprinting and wielding improvements:
    Starting to sprint will automatically sheathe your weapons. We refactored this system to make it depend on the character state instead of the sprint keyboard/gamepad input. The benefits are subtle but this change allowed us to improve the handling of sprint when combined with other states like jumping and climbing.

Your weapons will autowield when you stop sprinting. You can override this behavior by sheathing your weapons manually with the wield/sheathe buttong (defaults to X on keyboards and Y on gamepads).

If you are in the air when you stop sprinting, you will autowield when you land.
    You can continue sprinting after a jump by simply keeping down the sprint button. This works after landing from climbing and sliding as well. If you hold sprint down, you won't try to autowield when you land.

Attacking while sprinting autowields now.

Pressing the wield/sheathe button while sprinting stops sprinting (and wields).
    Increased the leniency of the turning clamps during sprinting. The player character will only get kicked out of sprint when attempting very drastic turns. Also, it is now possible to run diagonally (i.e. hold sprint, W and A) while sprinting without breaking out of sprint.

Characters now properly get out of the sprinting state if they run out of stamina or stop moving completely.

PS: It is still our intention to add an option where players can disable the automatic wield/sheathe behavior entirely. With that option, your character won't be able to sprint unless you've unwield your weapons by using the wield/sheathe button.

PPS: It is also still our intention to treat certain tools differently than weapons so they don't get put away when you sprint.

PPPS: We are looking into ways to show which weapons you have sheathed.

Character handling improvements:

Holding down the attack or block buttons during wield/dodge/knockback and other special character states will now attempt to execute the action when the special state ends. This change improves the smoothness and responsiveness of combat, specially when switching weapons, getting hit, blocking and dodging.

Some examples of what this change does:
    You can now hold block during a dodge and the character will actually go straight into block when the dodge is over. You can do the same with an attack.
    You can hold down block to keep blocking after you recover from a knockback/hit confirm.
    No more having to press the block button again after getting hit.
    This change applies to the wield action as well; you can press and hold attack while sprinting to execute an attack when the wield animation is over.
    If you were harvesting with, say, a hatchet, you can press and hold attack while sprinting to autowield your hatchet and swing as soon as the wield animation is finished.

Dodge is now allowed during wield animations.
    Equipping two items at the same time (which can happen during autowield and when you press the wield/sheathe button) will prioritize the animation of the weapon in the main hand instead of the offhand (i.e. your sword instead of your shield). This will improve the visual feedback in situations where it felt like your weapon wasn't working during the wield action because you couldn't see it playing a wield anim (your shield was playing it instead of your sword).

Other fixes:
    Glass Flasks can now be filled at all water sources
    Fixed a problem where you cannot rebind mouse buttons in the Keybinding section
    Text input for message of the day is now easier to use both on PC and Xbox
    Removed log spam for creatures failing to spawn
    Fixed a client crash related to blueprint dependencies
    Explosive jars are now gone from all loot tables, both chests and NPCs
    Black Ice Crenelated walls now correctly deal damage to climbing players
    Clan owner can now promote another member to Leader
    Fixed a problem with loss of recipes/recipes going invisible. "Lost" recipes are returned to recipes window.
    Exploding Imps now drop Explosive Glands again
    Explosive Jars now perish after 24 hours. This is a temporary change (see below)
    Dragonpowder now perishes after 30 minutes
    You will now only get Tar when dismantling Explosive Jars
    Added missing crafting station images
    The Crude Wooden Bowl can now be interacted with properly.
    We now show Attributes description when one of the buttons is selected with a controller.
    Highland wine can now be crafted correctly
    Fixed an instance where you would incorrectly equip previously equipped weapons.
    Fixed inventory latency/freeze
    Switching weapons in midair should now work again

Known issues:
    The beehive, the fish trap, and the shellfish trap still use the old camp sidebar GUI.
    Some types of undead deal incorrect damage. This will be fixed soon
    Explosive jars have dropped frequently from chests and NPCs which have made them abundant. The 24h perish timer on explosive jars will get rid of excessive inventories. In the next patch the 24h perish timer will be reverted
    We are adding support for locking chests an upcoming patch. Machines and crafting stations will stay unlocked
    Selecting dye with the mouse doesn't appear to work. Using hotkeys (G then Enter) after selecting a piece of clothing will make the dye menu appear
    Crafting Glass Flasks makes the crafting machine stop after each completed flask, requiring you to turn it back on. A workaround is putting two moulds in the machine

Most importantly of all:
    Fixed inventory latency/freeze

There are changes/improvements in the patch for the auto-sheath system, but there are more changes coming, and the changes made in this hotfix are not going to fix the huge pain in the ass that sprinting has become. This is more of a precursor fix that is laying the foundation for additional fixes down the road. This first thing is probably something they were able to easily throw together or tweak, whereas the fixes that actually need to happen will require a full development cycle to create, test, debug, certify, and release. So we still have a while yet before things actually get better.

I'm planning on trying a move north sometime soon; I'll be level 20-ish, so I will try for the southeast corner of the expanse. Anyone have suggestions -- or want to jump me in to one of the clans? -- for me to aim for?

Honestly, level 20 might be a little too low for the north.

When I moved I was 44 and I struggled. Everything is mean up there. The boars will feel like they have infinite hitpoints, the wolves will seem like ravenous hounds of doom, and humans will be unkillable.

When I moved, I was using a Cimerian Battle Axe (steel) and a Hyrkanian Bow with Set Snake Arrows. My damage was not good enough. I was wearing the Serpent Hide Armor from the Dregs dungeon and I was taking too much damage.

I upgraded my armor to heavy (steel), and my weapons are now an Ancient Khopesh and Ancient Shield, and Ancient Bow, and my damage still feels low.

If you are in iron tier gear for weapons/armor, you will get destroyed in the northland.

Well, I took a quick look when trying to figure out where to head, and the SE section was described as the 'beginner' area (green on the map, just past the desert wall). It may be possible that you jumped in at the deep end, but on the other hand, I may just get my keister handed to me. Either way, I'm a do some exploring! :)

• SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I've got an "employee" shopping this for this weekend. I need some staff in my new base.

x1 Alchemist
    x4 Carpenter
    x1 Blacksmith
    x2 Tanner
    x3 Cook
    x1 Task Master
    x1 Priest of Set

I'll probably go back to the desert for a lot of that. I know where the Alchemist spawns on the ship. And I think there's a Dafari Tanner spawn somewhere near my old base, because I've got one and I don't remember spending much time hunting Dafari camps. Much of my time this weekend will be spent thrall taking.

There is a tanner ( can be at least rank III) spawn in a tiny outpost a short distance to the west from that big MacRound village up north. If you go even further west towards those tall grey citadel towers, there is also an alchemist IV spawn.

Siska on
    Siska wrote: »

x1 Alchemist
    x4 Carpenter
    x1 Blacksmith
    x2 Tanner
    x3 Cook
    x1 Task Master
    x1 Priest of Set

There is a tanner ( can be at least rank III) spawn in a tiny outpost a short distance to the west from that big MacRound village up north. If you go even further west towards those tall grey citadel towers, there is also an alchemist IV spawn.

Cool, thanks. I'll have to check both those spots out next time I'm down in the desert.

I actually had a very successful hunting trip last weekend. I captured 3 named NPC's off the pirate ship. Got the named Smelter, Blacksmit, and Armorer.

Also got a level 2 cook, which is not ideal but better than having no cook at all. I need several cooks and I'd like them all to be 3+ but 2 is better than nothing. I also found a level 3 taskmaster on the ship.

Really the only thing I missed was carpenters. And I need a bunch of those. I need 2 inside my main base, 2 at my logging camp. And if I wanna be greedy, I need one in my desert base also.

I think the server needs to be updated. It isn't showing up on my realm list.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Honestly, level 20 might be a little too low for the north.

When I moved I was 44 and I struggled. Everything is mean up there. The boars will feel like they have infinite hitpoints, the wolves will seem like ravenous hounds of doom, and humans will be unkillable.

When I moved, I was using a Cimerian Battle Axe (steel) and a Hyrkanian Bow with Set Snake Arrows. My damage was not good enough. I was wearing the Serpent Hide Armor from the Dregs dungeon and I was taking too much damage.

I upgraded my armor to heavy (steel), and my weapons are now an Ancient Khopesh and Ancient Shield, and Ancient Bow, and my damage still feels low.

If you are in iron tier gear for weapons/armor, you will get destroyed in the northland.

So I have not been on for ages, and I don't know how despawning rules work, but if my base is still standing I have a chest or two with tier 4/named peeps that you are welcome too.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    Your base is still there. So is your Pirate ship thrall base. I've been using your thrall base pretty liberally. Don't forget, when you join a clan everything becomes clan property, and the clan is still active even if you are not.

I might try to find your people chests though, since you're offering. Also, once they fix the auto-sheath stuff once and for all, I recommend giving the game a shot again. The northland is a lot of fun, despite the steep difficulty spike.

Yeah, I went up to the Northlands last night. Got 16 resin from the trees right there at the tunnel, and then eaten by a single wolf.
    Welp.

Heavy armor and ancient weapons seem to be the best entry-point to the north.

This hasn't really been widely publicized, but they raised the level cap with the Frozen North expansion. So instead of 50 being the cap, it's 60 now. And they added two more tiers of weapons and armor.

In the core original game you essentially had 4 tiers of weapons:
    Tier 1: Wood/Bone
    Tier 2: Iron
    Tier 3: Steel
    Tier 4: Ancient

And then in the North we also now have
    Tier 5: Hardened Steel
    Tier 6: Star Metal

And with Armor it's a bit more tricky. Armor tiering looks something like this:

Tier 1: Fiber
    Tier 2: Light Armor
    Tier 3: Medium Armor
    Tier 3.5: Serpent Scale
    Tier 3.75: Hyena
    Tier 4: Heavy Armor

And in the north they also added two cold weather alternates - Fur and Better Fur (I forget the name) and now there are also TIer 5 - Hardened Steel and Tier 6 - Star Metal armors.

Current character is in Iron/Medium, and just got to be able to build reinforced stone. Might be a minute before I get up north, but man, I wanna get up north! I like foresty biomes so much more than deserts! Waah!

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I wonder a bit if making the progressive biomes level up wow-style might not be a great design decision for a game essentially about basebuilding.

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    IMO, the whole idea of increasing difficulty by map area kinda fails at survival games.
    Having base difficulty level all around, with certain areas having spikes would work better for exploring aspect, and keep lot of the map from becomming useless if every area has useful resources for every level.

Who are the clans on Elimination's server? I feel like I'm getting far enough along that I can use and contribute to clan resources.

Was Conan at PAX? There haven't been any updates in almost a week. Wondering if they showed anything off at the show.