As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    And now I'm considering going to gencon just to buy and play L5R. I didn't realize how much I missed that game.

The only thing that could tug at my heart strings more is Warlord.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Ooh, I hope it's at PAX Unplugged in November and maybe available to purchase!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I recall a few people mentioning Consulting Detective, but has anyone had a go at Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures? It sounds like it might be a great experience for my wife and I to go through, but I'm curious if it has any production issues like I've heard of previous versions.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I recall a few people mentioning Consulting Detective, but has anyone had a go at Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures? It sounds like it might be a great experience for my wife and I to go through, but I'm curious if it has any production issues like I've heard of previous versions.

I haven't played it, but I've seen multiple reviews that have explicitly stated that the SHCD: Ripper & West End does not have the issues of the original. Quinns called it out in their review of Watson & Holmes last month.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    Played Castles of Burgundy with the wife tonight; our first experience with a heavier, non-gateway game. I think we both found it a little bit frustrating because we were consulting the rulebook on virtually every turn for the first half of the game. I think that aspect of it will be reduced on future plays and it may end up being really fun, but my wife didn't sound too enthused about playing again, so we'll see if I can talk her into it.

What I don't think will get better is the annoying setup (unless we buy felt bags to sort the tiles into, but I'm not sure yet whether we like it enough to invest more money into it) and the mediocre overall production values. I think of all the games we've bought so far, which to be fair isn't that many yet, this one gives off the absolute worst first impression in terms of box art, organization, components quality, readability of the design, etc. I'm just glad I'm not color blind because I think I'd have been straight up raging about the color choices if I were.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Why felt bags rather than ziplock baggies? CoB is one of my favorites, so I'm disappointed you didn't enjoy it.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Too Many Bones showed up last night.

holy fucking crap is that a lot of game

C3__UVdVcAEF6ms.jpg

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Why felt bags rather than ziplock baggies? CoB is one of my favorites, so I'm disappointed you didn't enjoy it.

Ideally you want them to be opaque but ziplocks are fine in a pinch.

Either way the game desperately needs at least four bags.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

[image snipped]
    What are your thoughts on the number of bones? Not enough? Just right?

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Delduwath wrote: »

[image snipped]
    What are your thoughts on the number of bones? Not enough? Just right?

too many
    actually could have used three more

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I've seen the "plug dice into a character sheet to represent stats" thing before. Is that what's going on here?

I mean, all the components I'm seeing are working for me. Is the game actually any good?

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Aeon's End: War Eternal kickstarter ends in a bit more than twelve hours. I think I'm going to go in on it.

Anyone have thoughts about the Accessory Pack addon?
    - Are the gem tokens useful/necessary?
    - Do you need the added dice?
    - Do you think having extra basic cards would be useful (I'm not the kind of person who stores "starting decks" for Dominion separately)?
    - Does the game really not come with dividers?

Fry on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Aeon's End: War Eternal kickstarter ends in a bit more than twelve hours. I think I'm going to go in on it.

- Anyone have thoughts about the Accessory Pack addon?
    - Do you think having extra basic cards would be useful (I'm not the kind of person who stores "starting decks" for Dominion separately)?

I think that last point is about the original game, which had "Spells / Gems / Artifacts," dividers but not ones by each particular thing in those categories.

I wouldn't expect you to need the dice, but they'd be convenient for marking minion health.

The extra basics seem unnecessary but would save some set-up time.

• Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular

The accessory pack makes setup slightly faster (you'll have enough cards to keep each mage's starter deck built as opposed to building the deck after choosing your mage). The dice are a replacement for the included HP tokens and the gems are a replacement for the included, various, charge tokens (so bling). The pack is a big "No" for me because I already feel like the game is on the expensive side.

If my understanding is right, the game comes with dividers but not one for each individual mage. Since with the accessory pack you would be storing your starter decks they've included an extra divider per mage.

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    I kickstarted the original Aeon's End game, but have never gotten the opportunity to play it due to Seafall / Mechs vs Minions / Gloomhaven eating up all my boardgaming time. Is this expansion going to be worth it when I finally have time to play?

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I've seen the "plug dice into a character sheet to represent stats" thing before. Is that what's going on here?

I mean, all the components I'm seeing are working for me. Is the game actually any good?

I've only read the rules so far and watched some how-the-hell-do-you-play-this-monster-videos but there's LOTS going on; I'll be shocked if it ends up crappy. The BGG rating is really good too but it is new so adjust for hype. I can't even do a decent quick description but suffice to say it's pretty much all combat with a lot of options, variety and strategy. The characters are all really distinct as well.

You're playing a group of (or one) Gearloc(s) that's been sent out to kill a local War chief. You have a number of days to do it, and you have to earn a number of progress points before you can face the war chief. All of that is determined by an Encounter card you draw, one per day, that offers a little story with a number of options you can take that usually, but not always, results in combat. combat ends with hopefully some progress and or training points that you use to add dice to your character pad or to improve the dice you have and some loot. All the characters have totally different dice and abilities that do completely different things and each has several completely different professions to specialize in. you'll never get all the dice available to you on your pad

There's a really good playthrough to watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIVsGTqWLgs

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Cantide wrote: »
    I kickstarted the original Aeon's End game, but have never gotten the opportunity to play it due to Seafall / Mechs vs Minions / Gloomhaven eating up all my boardgaming time. Is this expansion going to be worth it when I finally have time to play?

Assuming you're in the US and that you originally kickstarted the full game (base + expansion) then you're looking at $65 for approximately double your current content and v2.0 art for both projects. So I suppose it comes down to how happy you are in the idea of doubling-down on a game you've yet to play.

EvilMonkey on
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I think I'm just going to back for War Eternal + Void. I definitely like some of the upgrades that they hit like token breaches, and extra stuff gives you a little bonus value since you're pretty much paying MSRP for it vs OLGS later.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    EvilMonkey wrote: »

The accessory pack makes setup slightly faster (you'll have enough cards to keep each mage's starter deck built as opposed to building the deck after choosing your mage). The dice are a replacement for the included HP tokens and the gems are a replacement for the included, various, charge tokens (so bling). The pack is a big "No" for me because I already feel like the game is on the expensive side.

If my understanding is right, the game comes with dividers but not one for each individual mage. Since with the accessory pack you would be storing your starter decks they've included an extra divider per mage.

How complicated are the starter decks? If it's just basic cards plus one or two unique cards, I don't know that I'd bother keeping the starter decks separate.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    From what I recall, the starters depend on the mage? Like they each have a couple unique cards, and then X Spark and Y Crystal cards (not sure if it's the same number of each for each mage).

edit: yeah, squinting at some of the Mage mats on the kickstarter page, they each list a starting hand and starting deck. The one mage from Void actually has like one unique card and then a TON of Crystals (no Sparks).

Custom Special on
  • Options
    edited April 2017

How complicated are the starter decks? If it's just basic cards plus one or two unique cards, I don't know that I'd bother keeping the starter decks separate.

You got it. ~5 basic currency cards (crystal) + ~5 basic attack cards (spark) + 1-2 unique cards.

EvilMonkey on
  • Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Ideally you want them to be opaque but ziplocks are fine in a pinch.

Either way the game desperately needs at least four bags.

Yeah we've got the tiles in ziplock sandwich bags at the moment, but ended up stacking them next to the board because it was too easy to see what we were drawing.

Don't get me wrong, it seems like a well-designed game. I think we would've had a better impression if the production and theme were as well-thought out as the gameplay mechanisms. Hopefully we can give it another shot this weekend and see if it goes down a little easier now that we (presumably) won't have to be consulting the rules every 5 seconds.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    Cantide wrote: »

Assuming you're in the US and that you originally kickstarted the full game (base + expansion) then you're looking at $65 for approximately double your current content and v2.0 art for both projects. So I suppose it comes down to how happy you are in the idea of doubling-down on a game you've yet to play.

It seems like a fun game, but yeah, I think I'll need to sit this one out.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    The white box game design workshop kickstarter looks intriguing
    Anyone know more than what is on he kickstarter page?

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Terra Mystica just got an iOS/Android release yesterday, apparently.

Very tempted by it as I don't know when I'd ever get to play it otherwise.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

I had a quick look. It seemed quite self explanatory - it's a box of generic game bits to do testing. I wouldn't bet on the essays being particularly insightful though

If they hit the stretch goals for more bits I could be tempted

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

I had a quick look. It seemed quite self explanatory - it's a box of generic game bits to do testing. I wouldn't bet on the essays being particularly insightful though

If they hit the stretch goals for more bits I could be tempted

For anyone outside the us it's better to get your bits elsewhere. Shipping makes it to expensive for what is provided.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Ah I'd not looked at shipping

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    OremLK wrote: »

Holy shiiiiit.

EDIT - The Dark Souls rulebook is released. When I have time I'm going to read it early and really process it and give it a single player run when it arrives.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »

Holy shiiiiit.

EDIT - The Dark Souls rulebook is released. When I have time I'm going to read it early and really process it and give it a single player run when it arrives.

who what how where

• Options

Holy shiiiiit.

who what how where

Rulebooks here:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game/posts/1851409

• Options
    Holy crap could Dark Souls actually end up being good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C4dyfKBHAk

tom vasel hated it but who cares

• Options
    Well, this is an interesting little tidbit by the ManVsMeeple guys taken from the comments on the above video:
    I am taking it from the comment above that you feel like my statement of "Tom has no experience with Dark Souls" as an attack? I assure that it is not and I have no desire to get into a flame war with The Dice Tower although we continue to get jabbed by them. Feels childish.

Like I don't have enough reasons to dislike those guys.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Well, this is an interesting little tidbit by the ManVsMeeple guys taken from the comments on the above video:
    I am taking it from the comment above that you feel like my statement of "Tom has no experience with Dark Souls" as an attack? I assure that it is not and I have no desire to get into a flame war with The Dice Tower although we continue to get jabbed by them. Feels childish.

I watched both reviews thoroughly and I respect his concerns about dice, grinding and the equipment stack. ManVsMeeple says the dice are relatively friendly to the player, and I feel like with some discipline, you could make some house rules to force new experience levels at appropriate times, or pull garbage out of the equipment deck depending on your characters. Tom should still at least watch some Dark Souls boss fights on Youtube. Is that so hard?

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited April 2017

I watched both reviews thoroughly and I respect his concerns about dice, grinding and the equipment stack. ManVsMeeple says the dice are relatively friendly to the player, and I feel like with some discipline, you could make some house rules to force new experience levels at appropriate times, or pull garbage out of the equipment deck depending on your characters. Tom should still at least watch some Dark Souls boss fights on Youtube. Is that so hard?

The comments on the KS page are pointing it out he had a LOT of the rules wrong as well.

God he's just so bad.

edit: The most heartening thing about the MvM review is, like me, they both HATE dice based combat systems yet the "niceness" of the dice and all the strategy involved made them love the combat anyway. That's a pretty dang good sign.

Magic Pink on
  • Options

The comments on the KS page are pointing it out he had a LOT of the rules wrong as well.

God he's just so bad.

edit: The most heartening thing about the MvM review is, like me, they both HATE dice based combat systems yet the "niceness" of the dice and all the strategy involved made them love the combat anyway. That's a pretty dang good sign.

To be fair, Vasel was not happy with the manual either.

• Options

God he's just so bad.

The other reviewers didn't seem to have a problem with it.

• Options

God he's just so bad.

Alright then, excellent. I'm just playing devil's advocate. This thread was full of dread because of production turmoil, and I wanted this to succeed, so I'm glad I'm a backer.

• Options

God he's just so bad.

Alright then, excellent. I'm just playing devil's advocate. This thread was full of dread because of production turmoil, and I wanted this to succeed, so I'm glad I'm a backer.

That is one thing I'm still a little leery of tho. The dancer still looks awful and there was already a lot of wear around some of those cards.

But it is nice to suddenly be excited about something I thought I had wasted my money on!

This discussion has been closed.