As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Hey. I'm on family holiday too! We've done Cosmic Encounter and Monikers. Lots of Monikers. Gonna try some hidden role games tonight.

Monikers is often our go to for family get togethers but this time it's been Resistance and I've been trying to do more variety.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Dropped by the FLGS to pick up sleeves for 7 Wonders: Duel.

While there, a little something caught my eye;

g6k7dvkxz9ui.png

The back of the gorgeous tin bills it as "A game of bluff and escape, assymmetrical moves and hidden information, cunningly crafted for exactly two players.

The Fox: Pure Cunning
    Hunters come and go, too slow to catch the likes of you. Last the day and they'll go home. They always do.

VS.

Master of the Hounds: Veteran Huntsman
    You've run quarry to ground a thousand times. The dogs are ready to run, trained for the chase. it's time!"

Gaze upon these meeples;
    gameboard.png

The tiles are heavy, thick, high quality cardboard rather than the cardstock you would normally expect from an $18 game.

Yeah... $18. 0_0

There's even a decent insert.

Haven't played it yet, but the guy working the register was really enthusiastic about Hounded.
    He'd had some involvement with the playtesting - Atlas is local to me.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I think someone mentioned that game in here before but I can't remember who it when. It looks nice though.

I picked up Hanamikoji today from the flgs after seeing some people playing it last night. It's like a slightly less mathy, way prettier Battle Line kinda? With some nice I split you choose double thinky stuff thrown in. Quite fun if you like quick 2p games.

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Dropped by the FLGS to pick up sleeves for 7 Wonders: Duel.

While there, a little something caught my eye;

g6k7dvkxz9ui.png

The back of the gorgeous tin bills it as "A game of bluff and escape, assymmetrical moves and hidden information, cunningly crafted for exactly two players.

The Fox: Pure Cunning
    Hunters come and go, too slow to catch the likes of you. Last the day and they'll go home. They always do.

VS.

Master of the Hounds: Veteran Huntsman
    You've run quarry to ground a thousand times. The dogs are ready to run, trained for the chase. it's time!"

Gaze upon these meeples;
    gameboard.png

The tiles are heavy, thick, high quality cardboard rather than the cardstock you would normally expect from an $18 game.

Yeah... $18. 0_0

There's even a decent insert.

Haven't played it yet, but the guy working the register was really enthusiastic about Hounded.
    He'd had some involvement with the playtesting - Atlas is local to me.

That looks beautiful.

*Immediate jump to YouTube*

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Reading/watching a couple of reviews suggests that it's not for everyone.

People seem to have difficulty winning with the Master/Mistress of the Hounds (my copy came with a Mistress of the Hounds meeple...)

I think it will be a good fit for me, though.
    I have a strong background in abstracts like Chess & Go and often play against an enthusiastic but much weaker opponent.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Family gaming is real hard as everyone tends to want to default to the safe and familiar games, but I love trying new things. Luckily, it seems to work out. We hadn't played Monikers before, I sold it to them as "like Articulate but good" (they like Articulate, I hate it) and we had a blast.

edit- the highlight was definitely my brother having sex with a table for "Bill Clinton".

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Tonight was a damn good night for gaming. One friend arrived well before everyone else so we played some Jaipur to get things going, and that remains a pleasure to play.

Once a couple more showed up we tried Ethnos for the first time. My feelings largely echo those of the guys at SU&SD: the theme is a bit boring and the board and pieces are somewhat disappointing as well, but holy cow is it a fun game to play. And I can appreciate that not going all out on the components, board and artwork mean that you get a game that can play up to 6 with replayability up the wazoo for a very reasonable price. Set collection and territory control with 12 different types of creatures to collect, each of which has some special advantage or ability when used as the "leader" of a set. You randomly choose 6 to use in each game, which goes a long way in making things feel different from one game to the next. You can draw from a limited face-up pool of creature to recruit or try to topdeck something useful, combined with a maximum hand size of 10 cards and a mechanic in which once you do play a set of matching cards you must place the remainder of your hand face-up in the common pool that all other players can draw from. It makes for one of the more entertaining and tense press your luck mechanics that I've encountered in a while. We immediately jumped into a second game with our final group member, and it played just as well with 5 as it did with 4.

We wrapped up the night with a game of Puerto Rico, which two of the group had never played before. Good times, as always.

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Reading/watching a couple of reviews suggests that it's not for everyone.

People seem to have difficulty winning with the Master/Mistress of the Hounds (my copy came with a Mistress of the Hounds meeple...)

I think it will be a good fit for me, though.
    I have a strong background in abstracts like Chess & Go and often play against an enthusiastic but much weaker opponent.

Yeah, I found the same. I think I'll still get it (hopefully it's on sale for Prime day!) because I tend to play with non-game, and eventually I want to play games with the kids. Hell, this could even be used as a precursor to chess for them. I'll just have to let them play as the fox most of the time so they don't get discouraged. Then again, I'm not a skilled gamer either.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Finally broke out Council of Blackthorn today. I wasn't blown away by it, it all seemed a bit rote but maybe that was just to do with my character (the spymaster who is good at giving away treason cards). Its a nice enough time though. I want to play with some of the other characters before judging it completely though.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Played Captain Sonar last night. We're lucky we had an impartial observer (while two on two played), because there was some rules confusion (torpedoes can make turns, silence must be a straight line movement) and a couple of "Head East!" *moves West*

Definitely an exciting game though. My team took three damage early on but came back until it was 3-3, then figured out where they were and closed in... but they had also figured out our location and we literally ended side by side, when right as I was about to torpedo they torpedoed a direct hit--blowing us both up, as their captain didn't realize you could be hurt by your own weapon.

So very fun! I definitely want to try with 6 or 8, though, because even splitting it up into radio/1st mate and captain/engineer was pretty tough. Engineering is surprisingly difficult, and often informs what directions you go. Meanwhile as Captain I had to tell the first mate what we needed to deploy next, so I think with teams of three or four there'll be even more communication and coordination involved.

Overall, I definitely recommend it. It's pretty accessible as a real-time version of Battleship, and for heavy gamers I think it's a great replacement for Space Alert.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Six is really solid for Sonar, Eight is still really fun too, though I feel like the 1st mate doesn't have a ton going on? But that makes it a nice spot for someone who needs a bit of a break and a more relaxed game.

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Finally broke out Council of Blackthorn today. I wasn't blown away by it, it all seemed a bit rote but maybe that was just to do with my character (the spymaster who is good at giving away treason cards). Its a nice enough time though. I want to play with some of the other characters before judging it completely though.

The spymaster is one of the more boring roles as far as abilities. I've never had a bad time playing the game though, and it's a consistently requested option when we have 6-8 people around at a game night.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Well, finally sold my complete collection of Runebound 2nd edition for 375$. Now to get rid of Talisman 3rd Ed and 4th Ed and Descent 2nd ed and I can maybe start thinking about paying off this horseshit medical bill from the guy who ran me over since his insurance is poop from a butt.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Well, finally sold my complete collection of Runebound 2nd edition for 375$. Now to get rid of Talisman 3rd Ed and 4th Ed and Descent 2nd ed and I can maybe start thinking about paying off this horseshit medical bill from the guy who ran me over since his insurance is poop from a butt.

Don't you hate Talisman? I'm fairly certain you hate Talisman.

I understand why you'd own one copy of a game you hate but why do you have two? Did you think maybe it had become good in the edition jump?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options

Don't you hate Talisman? I'm fairly certain you hate Talisman.

I understand why you'd own one copy of a game you hate but why do you have two? Did you think maybe it had become good in the edition jump?

I hate Talisman. Lord how I hate Talisman.

But back when I was 20 I loved it, thus the 3rd ed. And I was assured that 4th ed fixed Talisman and it was actually fun and I got all the bits in clearance. This turned out to be a lie from the devil's own poo hole.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Possibly this is a silly question, but how complete a collection of Descent 2e is that?

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

Possibly this is a silly question, but how complete a collection of Descent 2e is that?

It's missing The Chains That Rust and 5 of the lieutenants (the boring human ones). Otherwise it has everything including all the POD expansions. It also only has the first edition minis and cards for that from the conversion kit, not the newer 2nd ed figure packs (except for the one that added one new monster).

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Finally did it. Framed our Pandemic Legacy board and cards. Going to give it to my friend tomorrow. Major, complete spoilers to follow.
    IeF1hpql.jpg

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Wow, there's a assload of neat games coming to KS suddenly this week.

Epoch: The Awakening just launched and looks incredibly cool, and Beasts Of Balance has it's second KS up today; I missed it the first time but it's a Pokemon-god-sim-dexterity game where you build a world in an app by stacking big plastic critters and miracles on a special plinth that makes makes the little world in the app react to everything you do. It looks amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkPnr7vU_fc&t=508s

Epoch:
    GameStorm-Epoch.jpg?resize=1000%2C680&ssl=1

Beasts of Balance:
    tower_press_shot_small.jpg

Who Goes There? launched yesterday, it's the boardgame version of The THING and plays out like a survival/paranoia game and looks neat despite some oddly cartoony art.

And Crusaders launches today!

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Who goes there seems weirdly expensive. A quick skim of the mechanics didn't inspire me either.

Probably one I'll pass on and then I can chortle when it gets delayed and turns out to be crud or cry silent tears when it's excellent and unobtainable

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Who goes there seems weirdly expensive. A quick skim of the mechanics didn't inspire me either.

Probably one I'll pass on and then I can chortle when it gets delayed and turns out to be crud or cry silent tears when it's excellent and unobtainable

Yeah who goes there is an odd one. I love the survival mechanics tho and the slowly growing THING threat is pretty cool.

edit: actually, try watching that "gameplay highlights" vimeo on the page if you haven't; it explained things pretty well.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Digital Talisman is on sale on the ps4 this week for $18, if anyone wants to play that

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

Why the fuck not? :D

• Options
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Digital Talisman is on sale on the ps4 this week for $18, if anyone wants to play that

I have a few copies still sitting in my gift inventory on Steam if anyone is interested in Talisman for the pc. Send me a message with your Steam ID or email address if you want one.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Kingdom Death Update:

We did take on the level 2 Lion. We had both of our shiny new saviours into 'oh shit I have no body armour or survival points left' territory but we made it through with no losses thanks to some frequent working of the ability to check out the top few cards of the AI and hit location decks.

I think our bravado is satisfied though and we'll dial it back a bit next fight.

Having played (the beginning) of two campaigns now I can see how different the two settlements have turned out due to research draws and resource drops.

My previous game had full lion armour by now I think, whereas the many lions we've butchered this game refuse to drop fur and after building all of one piece I'm getting ready to give up.

And the research tree this time has lucked straight into a branch end research that gives all new births +1 strength, acurracy and evasion which is pretty huge, but our survival limit is still a piddly 3.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »

that's pretty awesome.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    The Kickstarter for Star Realms Frontiers went up last night. @MNC Dover, I seem to recall you being a fan of Star Realms, right? You probably know about this already, but wanted to ping you to make sure.

What's the public opinion on Star Realms? I played it once a long time ago, and the extent of my impression was "low-intensity two-player deckbuilder". I'm not sure how excited that makes me. I wanted to play the Android version of the game a bit to see how I like it, but it's a bit of a resource hog, has some unexpectedly long load screens, and I think requires an Internet connection to start (it wouldn't go past the splash screen when I tried to play it on the subway).

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Star Realms is great but I don't know that I need more Star Realms honestly. There are already 2 cores and a bunch of expansions.

It's probably my favorite deck builder though.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Star Realms is a perfectly fine time killer on my phone when I'm on the bus. It's not a game that I would actually spend time playing with people.

The random factor is simply off the charts.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Star realms' main attraction is it's portability and low cost. It suffers the same problem as all deck builders in that it's worse than dominion

The kickstarter doesn't seem incredible value given the low retail cost of the previous versions. Seems one to miss.

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    If I didn't have the first star Realms allready I would have backed at the 20 dollar tier. Star realms still is a filler for me and I rather buy something else for 65 dollars than more star realms.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mahou So-soMahou So-so Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Star realms' main attraction is it's portability and low cost. It suffers the same problem as all deck builders in that it's worse than dominion

Whoa whoa whoa, lets not get silly now.

Mahou So-so on
  • Options

i haven't played a huge amount of deckbuilders but none of them have ever been more boring than dominion.

• Options
    More importantly, the draft page for the reprint of Argent the Consortium is up

Do I really need another worker placement game? Particularly one that demands a very large table

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular

i haven't played a huge amount of deckbuilders but none of them have ever been more boring than dominion.

Have you tried 100 swords?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    More importantly, the draft page for the reprint of Argent the Consortium is up

Do I really need another worker placement game? Particularly one that demands a very large table

I like Argent, and I own it, but the work-to-fun ratio isn't tremendously favorable.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    The Kickstarter for Star Realms Frontiers went up last night. @MNC Dover, I seem to recall you being a fan of Star Realms, right? You probably know about this already, but wanted to ping you to make sure.

What's the public opinion on Star Realms? I played it once a long time ago, and the extent of my impression was "low-intensity two-player deckbuilder". I'm not sure how excited that makes me. I wanted to play the Android version of the game a bit to see how I like it, but it's a bit of a resource hog, has some unexpectedly long load screens, and I think requires an Internet connection to start (it wouldn't go past the splash screen when I tried to play it on the subway).

Thanks for the ping! I was on the mailing list for WW games so I knew about the KS. The wife and I got into deckbuilders with Ascension on the iPad and moved onto Star Realms as our deckbuilder favorite. That torch passed to Hero Realms recently, but we always bring Star Realms out for some quick gaming. Hell, we love the realms games so much, we actually use the real cards instead of the app version. Should be noted the app recently got an overhaul so you might want to try it again.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Star Realms is great for what it is, which is very portable, very quick to set up and tear down, and much simpler to explain along the way. It also isn't nearly as front-loaded with its decisions as any static deckbuilders like Dominion. It doesn't need as much strategy as Dominion, but it's not a huge gap, and to me the other differences easily make up for it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Thunderstone was my first deckbuilder, and it completely blew my mind. I played Dominion two or three times after that, and found it a very dry and boring experience. I appreciate it for its ground-breaking nature and for being the primogenitor of a genre, but I don't feel the need to ever play it again.

This discussion has been closed.