As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    which was nice since I was B/B Domination),

bondage/bicurious?

oh vyolynce <3

(sigh...)

I had a suspicion I was setting myself up for something there.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    it was a lovely set up and I appreciate you all the more for doing it

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Huh. Apparently CMON Limited announced that Eric M Lang has been actually hired by them to be their Director of Game Design and Adrian Smith (who worked on Blood Rage and Rising Sun) as Lead Artist.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Huh. Apparently CMON Limited announced that Eric M Lang has been actually hired by them to be their Director of Game Design and Adrian Smith (who worked on Blood Rage and Rising Sun) as Lead Artist.

I do really like Adrian's Smith's stuff. Eric Lang is good I guess but not quite to the level of a Feld or Lacerda.

They desperately need to give Paolo Puente the boot tho.

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    I am genuinely surprising their covering all seven of the major clans in the core box. I'm also surprised they've thrown out the core game for an entirely new design. That, however, is probably for the best given the original game was actually quite heavily flawed. Despite that, I had quite a bit of nostalgia for it. It takes L5R from a day one purchase to a "I'll have to see..." since it's an entirely different game.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    I'll be buying it (two core sets apparently), but I can't wait for expansions. Ratlings, minor clans, etc.

I guess the Unicorn will have to do until the expansions hit.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    THOSE COCKTEASES!

They just had the box for boarfgamegeek, and didn't even show the back!

... Yes, l5r is game of thrones style.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Well, they *did* show the back of the box... the demo box just has the front on the box as well.

Catalyst did some announcements on Shadowrun games. One called Sprawl Ops, which they referred to as "Think Lords of Waterdeep, but in the Shadowrun universe." There was also a 1v1 dueling game called Zero Day.

Also talked a little bit about a Masters of Orion-themed ship deckbuilder that's going to be debuting at GenCon.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Heya, people who have Anachrony, is it really good? Like really good? Like REALLY GOOD?

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Darric wrote: »
    Heya, people who have Anachrony, is it really good? Like really good? Like REALLY GOOD?

yup, if you like euros

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited March 2017

yup, if you like euros

I think I'm over a dozen plays now and still have like four options I haven't used, to say nothing of combining them. WELL worth the $80 kickstarter, and at least one friend says he's more than willing to drop a hundo on it as soon as he has the funds.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    I am genuinely surprising their covering all seven of the major clans in the core box. I'm also surprised they've thrown out the core game for an entirely new design. That, however, is probably for the best given the original game was actually quite heavily flawed. Despite that, I had quite a bit of nostalgia for it. It takes L5R from a day one purchase to a "I'll have to see..." since it's an entirely different game.

I think it literally comes down to whether you can still make people duel, and if it is an interesting minigame.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Well, they *did* show the back of the box... the demo box just has the front on the box as well.

Catalyst did some announcements on Shadowrun games. One called Sprawl Ops, which they referred to as "Think Lords of Waterdeep, but in the Shadowrun universe." There was also a 1v1 dueling game called Zero Day.

Also talked a little bit about a Masters of Orion-themed ship deckbuilder that's going to be debuting at GenCon.

Hmm, so instead of Lords you're one of the MegaCorps and your guys are Mr Johnsons collecting runners. It's so simple a conversion I'm not sure why nobody clocked onto it yet.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    HamHamJ wrote: »

I think it literally comes down to whether you can still make people duel, and if it is an interesting minigame.

If the core game isn't fun then even if a dueling mini-game is rad it won't matter. What is L5R without strongholds, provinces, the Dynasty and Fate decks? How do you achieve victory? How do you play your personalities? Will followers and weapons still be a thing? Will they still have Force and Chi stats? How will the economy work? Will there be an action economy like they seem to be so fond of lately? These are all very much on my mind.

Mikey CTS on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Just got this email from Isaac/Cephalofair about Gloomhaven, haven't seen it in the thread yet;
    Hello again, Rius!

I know I just messaged you last week, but there's been a significant change of plans that I felt you should know about.

You see, as I explained in my previous letter, I was planning on running a massive Kickstarter that would combine the funding of the Gloomhaven reprint and the new printing of Founders of Gloomhaven. There was significant pressure mounting over the last week to get more of the art and graphic design and prototyping done for Founders of Gloomhaven, and it began to dawn on me that we just weren't going to get everything done in the amount of time I planned.

I found myself having to make a choice between delaying the joint Kickstarter until Founders was more ready to be released, or splitting the two projects up into separate campaigns. Because it is so important to get the reprint of Gloomhaven started as quickly as possible and get it into the hands of everyone who wants it, I have decided avoid delaying that process by splitting the projects.

We will be moving forward with a focused Gloomhaven reprint campaign and delaying the Founders campaign until at least May.

This may sound like bad news to you, but worry not, because there is plenty of good news as well! Because we are now solely focusing on the Gloomhaven reprinting, I've decided to work out a way to offer rule book/scenario book upgrade packs for those with the first printing who want the latest rules and scenario changes. I haven't nailed down pricing for this yet, but it will probably be something in the $10-15 range.

But that's not all! Because we are no longer waiting on stuff for Founders of Gloomhaven, I think we can actually launch the project ahead of schedule (which will also help with getting it out sooner in the end). The new (tentative) plan is to launch a week early, on March 30. This is a little iffy, since Josh, the graphic designer, is currently on vacation until next week, and then I'm going on vacation for a few days soon after he gets back, but I think we can make it work.

I will admit, though, that the main thing hanging me up about splitting the projects was the fact that I didn't know what to do about "stretch goals" for a Gloomhaven reprint. The game is complete. It is everything I want it to be, and I have no intention of adding anything else to the already massive box (other than those sweet HP/EXP dials). Gloomhaven (and Cephalofair Games in general) is all about breaking the mold, though, and so I decided to do something different. I decided we didn't need stretch goals.

It sounds a little crazy, I know, but hear me out. The main purpose of stretch goals is to keep people engaged in the campaign, and have them coming back day after day, excited about all the cool new stuff they're getting for their pledge. If keeping people excited and engaged in the campaign is the end goal, though, there are certainly other ways to accomplish that, so I've decided to create a real-time community-driven mini-campaign during the Kickstarter. That's a lot of hyphenated words, so let me break it down for you:

1. Day 1 of the campaign I will post a PDF of a single scenario that anyone can open and play, either using their own Gloomhaven box, or through a dedicated Tabletop Simulator if you are one of the many people who don't have a copy yet.

2. This scenario will contain plenty of interesting story text, and at the end, it will present a choice on what to do next. Players will then go to Board Game Geek and vote in an official poll on where they want the story to go.

3. The next day, I will create and post a new scenario (in the form of a PDF and a new Steam Workshop file for TTS) based on what the community voted for.

4. This will continue every day for the entire length of the four-week campaign. 28 new scenarios that will actually evolve in real-time based on the community's votes.

At this point, I have no content created for it. It will all be generated the day of to make it purely community-driven. Right now I have an idea for the first scenario and the choices that will be presented, but after that, the community will be at the wheel.

I don't know about you, but I am incredibly excited to see how this turns out. I can't promise you all 28 scenarios will be great, but I will tell you I full intend to embrace the chaotic, seat-of-your-pants nature of this experiment and do plenty of crazy stuff with it. What exactly that will be? Well, we will find out together.

So, anyway, that's the new plan. I thought you should know. I hope you are as excited about it as I am, and I will see you March 28!

I guess I'm going to be playing a scenario a day for 28 days! That's crazypants awesome.

• Options
    It's pretty great he changed his mind on getting corrected stuff to the first ed owners. No cards but the corrected rulebook and scenario books are still a must have. I honestly don't know if I really want them tho; I still really don't like the game much. I think I might like it better if I double the bonuses or something; the unlocks just come so so so slowly

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »

If the core game isn't fun then even if a dueling mini-game is rad it won't matter. What is L5R without strongholds, provinces, the Dynasty and Fate decks? How do you achieve victory? How do you play your personalities? Will followers and weapons still be a thing? Will they still have Force and Chi stats? How will the economy work? Will there be an action economy like they seem to be so fond of lately? These are all very much on my mind.

I think the core mechanics are pretty much guaranteed to be at least competent considering the company. I predict that for me the issue will be does it capture the flavor of L5R.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

yup, if you like euros

I think I'm over a dozen plays now and still have like four options I haven't used, to say nothing of combining them. WELL worth the $80 kickstarter, and at least one friend says he's more than willing to drop a hundo on it as soon as he has the funds.

I think I'm gonna order it. Thanks, guys.

Edit: Oh, I guess one last question: How does the playtime actually shake out with, say, 4 players?

Darric on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    My guess is they'll try to reproduce the gameplay as much as possible. Look at FFG Netrunner vs. WotC Netrunner, or GoT 2E vs. 1E.

• Options

yup, if you like euros

I think I'm gonna order it. Thanks, guys.

Edit: Oh, I guess one last question: How does the playtime actually shake out with, say, 4 players?

Once everyone knows what they're doing, the 2-hour estimate is fairly solid, not counting set up and take down.

Learning games will go longer, though. Probably not 3 hours but at least 2.5 for sure.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the original Rings on the handful of occasions I got to play it, but the game had some issues that I suspect could hold it back from mainstream success with modern gamers.
    The best comparison I can think of making would be the Joust (multiplayer ring-game) of Thrones. I don't think it gets a lot of play - partially because it is a huge time investment.
    I know the old L5R group play tended to swing between either having kingmaker problems or just plain broken strategies.

I think a lot of the core ideas of L5R such as honor, dueling, strongholds, provinces, fate, and dynasty can be strung on a new framework without sacrificing the integrity and feel of the franchise.
    Closest analogues that FFG has worked on are Thrones, Star Wars LCG, and Romance of the Nine Empires.
    Star Wars LCG has a number of interesting core mechanics that could translate well to L5R.
    Romance of the Nine Empires was basically just a re-theme of Legend of the Burning Sands, which shares some of Rings' core mechanics.

• Options
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Closest analogues that FFG has worked on are Thrones, Star Wars LCG, and Romance of the Nine Empires.

Uh... in regards to that last one, that was put out by AEG not FFG.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    VisskarVisskar Registered User regular

Yeah, the game was originally created for the Gamers: Hands of Fate movie as the Dead Gentlemen guys have been L5R fans for a long time, but based it off the Burning Sands engine. AEG made it into a stand alone game w/ one expansion as a box set of the top winning decks of the World Championship in honor of its faux 15th anniversary.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Oh, my mistake.
    IIIRC the R9E box is basically the same dimensions as the LCG cores, the Blue Moon re-release, and so on.
    I just assumed it was an FFG product.

• Options

Yeah... and that SWLCG was total butts.

• Options
    All right, I give up on Rising Sun. There's no way I would choose to play that over Cthulhu Wars ( <3 ) and the shipping joke that is Arcadia Quest Inferno is giving me hives.

• Options
    Hey, The Pursuit Of Happiness has an expansion funding on Kickstarter! I had no idea that was even in the works; I love that little game.

dbzla4db3vts.png

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    little?

• Options
    well it's pretty light and easy on the strategy end for me, I mean.

I don't buy games that don't cover the table :D

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Let me tell you about my upcoming Kickstarter for Tablecloth: the Game.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Guys, Harmonix is making a card game.

Yes, Harmonix, the creators of Guitar Hero and Rock Band.

It's called Dropmix, and you play cards that contain music samples, so that while you are trying to defeat your opponent's score you are also creating a beautiful/terrifying custom mashup of popular songs.

• Options
    I'm honestly not sure how I feel about that. I'm equal parts fascinated and horrified, I think?

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I like the novelty/silliness of that but Im doubtful of it being worthwhile beyond that. Have to wait and see I guess.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    That's gotta be so expensive. Every card is a NFC transmitter, and you need that base unit to play. I imagine it just uses bluetooth to connect to a smartphone/tablet.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    That's gotta be so expensive. Every card is a NFC transmitter, and you need that base unit to play. I imagine it just uses bluetooth to connect to a smartphone/tablet.

They said it's $100 for the base game, then $15 for 15-card "playlist" expansions, and $5 for 5-card "discovery" packs. You'll be able to see what's in the discovery packs, so no blind boosters or anything like that though. I think they said the expansions/packs will have unique cards as well. The app will be free and available on ios/android.

• Options

The Animal Crossing amiibo cards are what, like $1 each on average? I could see that adding up fast.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

They said it's $100 for the base game, then $15 for 15-card "playlist" expansions, and $5 for 5-card "discovery" packs. You'll be able to see what's in the discovery packs, so no blind boosters or anything like that though. I think they said the expansions/packs will have unique cards as well. The app will be free and available on ios/android.

Ouch. It's a neat concept, but $100 neat?
    I'm glad that there's no blind packs at least. That's a good way to handle it.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Base game comes with 4 themed 15 card sets. 30 cards seems to be the max size for a deck, and deck making seems to be pretty freeform, so I'm exited about it, especially since it's not blind packs.

EDIT: Corrected numbers.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Interesting, I played an alpha version of a similar game on PC several years ago that just disappeared into the aether. I wonder if the feedback that they got from their testing wasn't positive enough, and they decided going into the physical space would work out better for them.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm gonna strongly consider that game and probably ultimately pass but maybe fall to drunken temptation.

What is this I don't even.
This discussion has been closed.