As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    They probably had trouble figuring out how to monetize it, but I feel like something with this many moving parts and requirements with NFC cards and a big reader tray and all would have been better as a fully digital game.
    Though, looking at the interface there's an icon for "collection" and I wonder if they have a digital version of this you can play on the go and they have some way of registering which packs you bought.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Is there a place to buy a roll of of like card table felt? I've got a cheapo dining room table from Wayfair as my game table right now, but trying to scratch card up off that thing is a pain. I'd like to get some kind of surface I can permanently put on it.

• Options
    I would almost suggest buying a nice tablecloth so you can remove and wash it. Unless you have a no food or drink policy.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Is there a place to buy a roll of of like card table felt? I've got a cheapo dining room table from Wayfair as my game table right now, but trying to scratch card up off that thing is a pain. I'd like to get some kind of surface I can permanently put on it.

Do you have Jo-Ann Fabrics in your area?

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    They probably had trouble figuring out how to monetize it, but I feel like something with this many moving parts and requirements with NFC cards and a big reader tray and all would have been better as a fully digital game.
    Though, looking at the interface there's an icon for "collection" and I wonder if they have a digital version of this you can play on the go and they have some way of registering which packs you bought.

This is what I was thinking. It'd be an absolutely perfect fit for the "Jack Pack" format of games they've been selling that are basically board game variants that use smartphones and a gaming console.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    That Harmonix card game is totally my jam! I'm probably getting it day-one.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Gameplay seemed fairly simple, but it hits a lot of the right notes (IM SO SORRY) for me.
    I'm not sorry

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »

Do you have Jo-Ann Fabrics in your area?

If not, Hobby Lobby carries it as well. I believe Michaels sells individual smallish squares of it but not by the roll.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    All right, I give up on Rising Sun. There's no way I would choose to play that over Cthulhu Wars ( <3 ) and the shipping joke that is Arcadia Quest Inferno is giving me hives.

I also ended up retracting my pledge. It looks like a game that wouldn't hit the table very often, and im not a huge fan of the betrayal mechanic. I don't play dudes on the map games very often, but blood rage should be enough here. Maybe i will look into cry havoc if i wanted to have combat. Cool looking minis, but thats still not enough to draw me in.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Hey fellow Gloomhaveners:

We played scenario...8? last night - the one in the warehouse. According to the scenario guide there should've been 4 bookshelves and 2 'shelves' on the map. I had my 4 bookshelves but damned if I could locate shelves anywhere in amongst my chits and I'd put all of the "roughly two units wide narrow things" into the same hole in the overlays tray. Wound up using a couple of sarcophogai instead. Do other people have shelves? Is that a misprint somehow? Did I eat my shelves by accident one day?

(Edit: at least in the pictures, the "shelves" are identical to the "bookshelves" except that in place of books and scrolls laying atop them they have a shield and a sword)

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    JonBob wrote: »

What is speed cloth? More like a microfiber feel?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Coarser than that, but it doesn't pill at all which can be a PITA with felt coverings. Felt is better for components staying where you put them; speed cloth is better for cards sliding easily across the table when dealt. Both make it easier to pick up cards than from a hard surface.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Hey fellow Gloomhaveners:

We played scenario...8? last night - the one in the warehouse. According to the scenario guide there should've been 4 bookshelves and 2 'shelves' on the map. I had my 4 bookshelves but damned if I could locate shelves anywhere in amongst my chits and I'd put all of the "roughly two units wide narrow things" into the same hole in the overlays tray. Wound up using a couple of sarcophogai instead. Do other people have shelves? Is that a misprint somehow? Did I eat my shelves by accident one day?

(Edit: at least in the pictures, the "shelves" are identical to the "bookshelves" except that in place of books and scrolls laying atop them they have a shield and a sword)

This confused me as well, the shelves are actually on full double-hex pieces, they're not their own shapes like the bookshelves.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Here's a picture of the front and back of the pieces I took just now:

rxwZscuh.jpg

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Does anyone actually like the look of that Meeple Realty insert for Gloomhaven? I think the general purpose tray for party sheets, mini stands and boss standees/monster cards is too vague and spoilery. I like the trays for the status markers and other scenario tokens, but the trays for the monster standees looks like the compartments are too small and it'd be a pain in the ass fishing them out.

I've got my storage solutions nearly complete; I haven't tried to get it all back in the box because I have it all on a shelf in my office instead, but I think it'd fit.

• Options
    Rius wrote: »
    Does anyone actually like the look of that Meeple Realty insert for Gloomhaven? I think the general purpose tray for party sheets, mini stands and boss standees/monster cards is too vague and spoilery. I like the trays for the status markers and other scenario tokens, but the trays for the monster standees looks like the compartments are too small and it'd be a pain in the ass fishing them out.

I've got my storage solutions nearly complete; I haven't tried to get it all back in the box because I have it all on a shelf in my office instead, but I think it'd fit.

I ordered it immediately upon it becoming available, so I can let you know about whether it's a pain to get the standees out of their compartments. I'm not sure what you mean about the general purpose tray being too vague and spoilery; as it stands I have to sort through all that shit to find the monsters I want anyway, so I pretty much just glaze over the details. Can you elaborate?

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    How can something be too vague and also too spoilery?

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    To elaborate, let me show off my "storage" solutions.

This is my Gloomhaven Shelf; successive pictures spoiled for Bit Big Syndrome (file size is fine, they're just dimensionally a... bit big)

UlYxW2E.jpg

It's about seven inches deep and holds everything but the three T-shaped and one giant rectangle map tiles, the global map board (which I'm going to flatten and hang in my office) and the rule book/scenario book (which are elsewhere, with those 4 giant map tiles.) The white card box to the right of the character boxes holds some unused cards; I call it the Future Box. It's got the Road and City events we haven't incorporated yet, the character goal cards, the random scenario treasure map cards, the random item pattern cards (and their red backed twins) and all the rest of the items not unlocked by prosperity. The ziplock bags to the right of that hold the boss cards/standees, and the Archer/Guard/Shaman sets as I haven't solved for them yet.

The row of yellow envelopes are these;
    zCS74gx.jpg
    I took some big envelopes we had and sealed them, then cut off the 40% or so from each side, giving me these 5" square envelopes with one open side. Each one contains it's associated monster card, deck and standees, and they're labeled so I can flip through them easily. I will likely put the Boss stuff in one of these as well because I don't really want to be peeking at them; that's my problem with the Meeple Realty general tray.

Behind the envelopes are the tiles, and to the right are two Plano boxes holding all my small tiles;
    2plEQmy.jpg
    Between the two of them, everything fits, and things are sorted so I can just flip the closed box over and find whichever tile I need. The set of triangle-shaped triple hex tiles fit too, I just had to cut out one of the dividers between two rectangles and make a bigger square partition. The bottoms of the Plano box compartments are rounded so it's really easy to get the tiles out.

On top of the two Plano boxes is a portion of the game's original insert which I hacked out to suit my needs;
    TW0SWwb.jpg
    Left to right in that are the monster stat envelopes, two deckboxes containing the current City and Road decks, the random scenario generator cards, the sleeved scenario Bless/Curse/-1 cards, the five base combat modifier decks in ziplock bags, the Battle Goal cards, a bunch of pencils and some empty small sleeves (for when people buy items), and a baggie of torn up cards.

And finally, to the right of that are these;
    bpQpAGL.jpg
    Eight interlocking "small parts storage containers" I got from Menards. Money chits; exp chits; the 1-10 counters; the player health/exp markers/stands/element board tokens; health tokens; summons tokens; normal/elite monster stands; and the status markers.

I mentioned another shelf somewhere, it's also got this three ring binder;
    Ew4Yeij.jpg
    8AAj2z4.jpg
    Rr41ZD1.jpg
    That's useful stuff tucked into the left cover, and the first few pages are the Item Shop with currently unlocked stuff, sorted by equipment slot with room to grow. The middle two pages are the sets of items unlocked via Prosperity level increases; they're face-to-face so nothing is spoiled and I merged things so one row holds one set of unlocks. The last pages are full size sheet pages with face-to-face location and achievement stickers, and the sealed envelopes and Town Records book. The item shop pages are Mini USA sized sleeve sheets; they fit Gloomhaven's Mini Euro cards fine except they stick out of the top of the sleeves a tiny bit. It's not a problem so long as I don't turn the binder upside down and shake it.

So it's all spread out a bit, but I dare say most of that would get back into the box if I needed to transport it. I think any fits-wholly-in-the-box storage solution is going to sacrifice something; I only host games at my house and I wanted a setup that was really easy to construct and break down. Next time we have a session I'll take a picture of my table and layout there.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited March 2017

It's like they said... we've got enough room left in the box for one tray. We need to put a lot of stuff into that tray. And then they said, "just put all this miscellaneous shit in there! It's "sorted"! That's the vague part.

And the spoilery part is, well, there's like 15 boss monster standees and just put them in a flat pile there. And you can see them all. That's the spoilery part. When I punched all the cardboard, I tried not to pay too much attention to what I was punching out apart from getting everything in organized piles. The result is I don't really know what bosses we'll be seeing until I load up the scenario where we'll be seeing them.

The Meeple Realty insert looks like a great solution for transporting the game, but not so hot for setting up a game. My solution is great for setting up games and fair at transporting it.

Rius on
  • Options

I looked, it comes out in september. Just in case someone wanted to know because, like me, they were totally planning on not getting it but needed to know when it came out so they could not get it then. ::twitch::

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    September is definitely enough time for me to save money up to justify it, right? :razz:

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    My daughter is really in to rolling dice. I think it's time to get Escape the Curse of the Temple.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Rius wrote: »

It's like they said... we've got enough room left in the box for one tray. We need to put a lot of stuff into that tray. And then they said, "just put all this miscellaneous shit in there! It's "sorted"! That's the vague part.

And the spoilery part is, well, there's like 15 boss monster standees and just put them in a flat pile there. And you can see them all. That's the spoilery part. When I punched all the cardboard, I tried not to pay too much attention to what I was punching out apart from getting everything in organized piles. The result is I don't really know what bosses we'll be seeing until I load up the scenario where we'll be seeing them.

The Meeple Realty insert looks like a great solution for transporting the game, but not so hot for setting up a game. My solution is great for setting up games and fair at transporting it.

I mean...your storage solution looks fucking awesome, but I don't think the Meeple Realty insert is meant to be an alternative to that. I would love to have that setup but don't have a whole shelf I can dedicate to it, although I do like your manila envelope solution to the monster ability cards.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Thanks =) I just put up four of those shelves in my office to use them for paperbacks, and I decided to use one of them for GH instead. The timing worked out pretty well for me.

In lieu of envelopes, I've seen people do that monster solution in paper cd-sleeves with a flap so they can close them up. I like that idea, I just didn't like the idea of paying for cd sleeves when I had these nice envelopes. I've also seen people use those zip-closed CD binders that you probably had in your car in the 90's, if you had a car in the 90's.

One of these days I'll take everything off that shelf and try to rebox it, see how it goes. I'm reasonably optimistic about most of it fitting, but any in-the-box storage solution for Gloomhaven is going to make it harder to set up for a session. There's just too much stuff in the box, not that I'm complaining.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    There was this little bit from the latest Word Domination kickstarter update e-mail:
    In other news, for all you Paperback fans, Tim Fowers and I have been collaborating over the last several months on the Paperback prequel - and we're nearly ready to share it with everyone. You can grab a sneak peek in this brief interview I did with the Dice Tower during PAX East earlier this week:
    https://youtu.be/tz9Y1gLfe8w?t=9m18s
    It's called Hardback and it's sure to be the second best word game you play all year (Word Domination being the clear first). Be sure keep an eye out for it in April!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    There was this little bit from the latest Word Domination kickstarter update e-mail:
    In other news, for all you Paperback fans, Tim Fowers and I have been collaborating over the last several months on the Paperback prequel - and we're nearly ready to share it with everyone. You can grab a sneak peek in this brief interview I did with the Dice Tower during PAX East earlier this week:
    https://youtu.be/tz9Y1gLfe8w?t=9m18s
    It's called Hardback and it's sure to be the second best word game you play all year (Word Domination being the clear first). Be sure keep an eye out for it in April!

That guy being interview is Jeff Beck, the guy who made Word Domination. I'm officially helping him with the co-op modes in Word Domination and may have already known about Hardback. I might be helping with it too...we'll see. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Hey folks! So my friend just let me know that he is currently in escrow for acquiring a bar in order to make a boardgame bar. So boardgames and booze, you know, the best things in life. My friend has tapped me as his "game guru" for advice on what games to stock.

So I was wondering. What would be your top 5 must have games for this kind of establishment?

• Options
    Browsing through the Dice Tower coverage at GAMA, I stumbled across an interview about my upcoming game:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-tDgvPt2Gw&amp;feature=youtu.be&amp;t=3147s
    (52:30 in)

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Hey folks! So my friend just let me know that he is currently in escrow for acquiring a bar in order to make a boardgame bar. So boardgames and booze, you know, the best things in life. My friend has tapped me as his "game guru" for advice on what games to stock.

So I was wondering. What would be your top 5 must have games for this kind of establishment?

After recovering from jealousy, let's see.
    Skull
    Love Letter
    Click Clack Lumberjack (if pieces could be contained)
    Bonanza
    Red7

Just thinking of fast simple card games that can be set up and taken down quickly. And a dexterity game for hilarious moments.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular

Settlers
    Codenames
    ... uh...

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

After recovering from jealousy, let's see.
    Skull
    Love Letter
    Click Clack Lumberjack (if pieces could be contained)
    Bonanza
    Red7

Just thinking of fast simple card games that can be set up and taken down quickly. And a dexterity game for hilarious moments.

All good suggestions for the reasons you listed.

For reference, the games that are already on his personal list of must includes are Agricola, Carcassonne, Catan, Stone Age, Caverna, Terra Mystica, 7 Wonders, Race for the Galaxy, Kemet, Castles of Burgundy and Kemet. So you can see where his general tastes lie, but, of course, he needs to cater to more than just his own tastes.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Splendor (my preferred small game at the moment)
    Ticket to Ride (classic gateway)
    X-Wing (because Star Wars minis look great to Joe Public)
    Colt Express (again, physical components that attract curiousity)
    Twilight Imperium (because fuck it, might as well see if you can have a table of six ordering drinks and nibbles for 8 hours)

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    I think something like One Night Ultimate Werewolf or Deception Murder in Hong Kong might be fun in a bar.

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Resistance
    Codenames
    Splendor
    Cosmic Encounter
    Pandemic

Going too heavy for a bar environment seems like a bad idea.

Darric on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    - Mascarade
    - Coup
    - Cards Against Humanity (I don't enjoy it, but some people do)
    - Codenames
    - Dead Last

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Anything that is made exclusively from wipe clean components

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    -chess
    -Checkers
    -Backgammon
    - hive
    - the great dalmuti

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    DIXIT!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      edited March 2017
      Bar games should be games which can lose components without becoming unplayable.

Darkewolfe on
    This discussion has been closed.