As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    antherem wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »
    So I'm just hearing about Gloomhaven. Can someone clarify a few things for me?

Is the 129.99 Amazon retail version im looking at essentially the 79.00 kickstarter backer version with all the mini's?

I've seen a few posts on BGG that are somewhat recent saying the games retail release date was 02/21, is that correct? is amazons retail version the standard retail version or could i be looking at someone trying to sell his kickstarter version?

Oopse. NM. Amazon is showing in stock as of 12/29/17, not 2016.... apparently im not going to be getting a copy for a while.

It's possible but unlikely that it's a retail copy.
    So basically:
    The print run was something on the order of 10,000 copies. The Kickstarter accounted for about half of those, and another 2500 were direct sold through their website, so there ended up being about 2,500 copies left for retail distribution.

The distributors accepted 20,000 preorders. Hilarity* ensued. Takeaway is that a majority of preorders aren't being fulfilled until a hypothetical second reprint (which will require another Kickstarter) and anyone trying to place an order now might end up having to wait for a third print run.

*not actually hilarious

And here I am wondering what is up with my preorder... Well it's not like I don't have a HUGE backlog anyway.

It seems very odd that with such demand from distributors they would require a kickstarter for another print run. Have they given a reason for that? Wouldn't the demand be enough to secure funds/loans?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    So I'm just hearing about Gloomhaven. Can someone clarify a few things for me?

Is the 129.99 Amazon retail version im looking at essentially the 79.00 kickstarter backer version with all the mini's?

I've seen a few posts on BGG that are somewhat recent saying the games retail release date was 02/21, is that correct? is amazons retail version the standard retail version or could i be looking at someone trying to sell his kickstarter version?

Oopse. NM. Amazon is showing in stock as of 12/29/17, not 2016.... apparently im not going to be getting a copy for a while.

It's possible but unlikely that it's a retail copy.
    So basically:
    The print run was something on the order of 10,000 copies. The Kickstarter accounted for about half of those, and another 2500 were direct sold through their website, so there ended up being about 2,500 copies left for retail distribution.

The distributors accepted 20,000 preorders. Hilarity* ensued. Takeaway is that a majority of preorders aren't being fulfilled until a hypothetical second reprint (which will require another Kickstarter) and anyone trying to place an order now might end up having to wait for a third print run.

*not actually hilarious

And here I am wondering what is up with my preorder... Well it's not like I don't have a HUGE backlog anyway.

It seems very odd that with such demand from distributors they would require a kickstarter for another print run. Have they given a reason for that? Wouldn't the demand be enough to secure funds/loans?

You'd think but no, I guess. There's a LONG explanation over on BGG about what happened but you have to forge through a lot of posts from over-entitled whiners proclaiming Isaac Childres as History's Greatest Monster.

Not that people can't be upset that their pre-orders got cancelled but blame the right group.

• Options

I didn't see this answered but the retail version is the KS version. The only thing the KS gave you was an option to get cardboard standees instead of minis for the characters.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    EBay is already full of 200-400 sales .

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Fuck. These distribution mechanisms are really the holding back the golden age of board gaming. There's a real struggle for these things to go mainstream when your window of opportunity for buying stuff is so brief and often over before the thing is even produced.

I shouldn't be hearing all this Gloomhaven buzz, looking at how to get my hands on it and then finding stories like above.

I can't see what the answer is though until domestic manufacture can compete with Asian imports.

Yeah. It's not so much that "we ran out of stock and need to reprint" happens, it's "we ran out of stock and need to reprint, and there's three months before there's an opening at the printer, and then another three to cross the Pacific, and in the meantime we're probably going to pre-sell all of the copies currently at the printer." Ugh. (This isn't Isaac's fault, of course, it's a fundamental problem with the current state of the board game supply chain with outsourced printers involved.)

Stronghold Games (of Terraforming Mars fame) prints domestically and isn't particularly absurdly priced. So it's possible. Might not scale up to something as complicated as Gloomhaven though.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Fuck. These distribution mechanisms are really the holding back the golden age of board gaming. There's a real struggle for these things to go mainstream when your window of opportunity for buying stuff is so brief and often over before the thing is even produced.

I shouldn't be hearing all this Gloomhaven buzz, looking at how to get my hands on it and then finding stories like above.

I can't see what the answer is though until domestic manufacture can compete with Asian imports.

Yeah. It's not so much that "we ran out of stock and need to reprint" happens, it's "we ran out of stock and need to reprint, and there's three months before there's an opening at the printer, and then another three to cross the Pacific, and in the meantime we're probably going to pre-sell all of the copies currently at the printer." Ugh. (This isn't Isaac's fault, of course, it's a fundamental problem with the current state of the board game supply chain with outsourced printers involved.)

Stronghold Games (of Terraforming Mars fame) prints domestically and isn't particularly absurdly priced. So it's possible. Might not scale up to something as complicated as Gloomhaven though.

The sad part of this, to me, is that if you followed the updates Isaac fought tooth and nail to actually get the game put together in a useful way with the printers he used.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Gloomhaven's a lot of work to assemble but I can't imagine it's actually a lot of work to print. There's a bare handful of actual minis and the rest is printed cardboard and paper and cardstock. Just a ton of the above.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective expansions seem to be out. I will hold back from buying until I read somewhere trustworthy that there are no case-breaking errors.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Speaking of "being out..."

ou3CVXx.jpg

I am full of CARD GAMES.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    I cannot decide if I want to keep my Dark Souls pledge or not. The game looks it's going to end up being so bad but I got a bunch of free stuff and I didn't put that much money in it in the first place.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    why bad?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    A very basic rules set they won't share that's constantly being changed (I guess? even that's not clear), broken promises about delivery and demos that have the same boring boss fight people have seen since the KS launch.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Dark Souls looked really cool, but they didn't really have much on gameplay, and every review i found was like "hey, the video game is good".

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    If the game looks bad and you can get out from under why hesitate?

Also Im thinking real hard about dropping my Dinosaur island pledge after reading about Pandasaurus previous Kickstarter messes, plus my own experience with them re Machi Koro. It would be done already except that I'm dumb and the KS exclusive dinosaur meeples look cool.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

ou3CVXx.jpg

I am full of CARD GAMES.

Oh hey, I got that last night, too!

Maybe someday I'll actually get to unwrap the box for the base game and play it...

• Options
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

because I don't know for sure it'll be bad and if it's good I would pay a hell of a lot more to get it later plus I don't get all my money back, just about 70%.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Bogart wrote: »
    MrBody wrote: »
    So has anyone tried Dreamlands expansion for Eldritch Horror?

I think someone said it didn't add any new mechanics. Does it at least add interesting new items/investigators/ancient ones? Is the Dreamlands sideboard any better handled than Antarctica and the pyramids? Does it avoid the expansion pitfall of adding more and more ridiculously hard cards?

Everyone gripes about the infamous "shuffle a solved mystery back in to the deck unless you give up clues" card in the base game, but holy crap do some of the expansion cards put that to shame. The Pyramids added a card that says "Each investigator impairs (-1) their highest skill, then impairs their highest skill, then impairs their highest skill, finally impair your highest skill". That's a permanent -1 to the highest current skill four times and nothing you can do to avoid it, and it hits every investigator. It's crippling to the entire group, almost worse than having everyone killed!

I just took the 'shuffle a mystery card back in' card out of the deck, and would likely do the same with that one. I'm not a big fan of 'you are totally boned' mechanics popping up randomly in a three to five hour game.

Ha ha, there are much worse mythos cards in the expansions!

The End is Nigh
    Each investigator discards 1 item, 1 task, 1 ally, 1 spell, 1 clue, 1 skill improvement, and 1 focus. Then, each investigator loses 1 health and 1 sanity.

Then there's the "impair (apply a permanent -1 to) your highest skill, then again, then again, then again" card.

Also the prelude cards for the later expansions can be B.S. Like, they're supposed to offer a choice of a starting penalty but also a starting boost. There's one that starts the Dunwhich Horror epic monster in play (50% chance of opening a gate every reckoning) with health boosted above normal, and in return you get...a random spell. Yay?....

Another starts with The King in Yellow rumor in play, which gives the lead investigator a Blight condition (almost worse than a curse) every reckoning until you do a -1 skill check and spend a whopping 1 clue per investigator to solve it. This rumor starts in play on top of the usual rumors in the deck. What do you get in compensation for this? Every investigator gets a clue. So...exactly enough clues to solve the extra rumor that was put into play, after you spend all those turns getting the clues to the spot and passing a difficult skill check, during which your team is going to be hit by crippling blight conditions. Yay?

Our group has a rule that throws out cards like that, except when exceedingly easy ancient ones come into play. It's "everything goes" when Azathoth, Yog-sothoth, or Abhoth are on the board.

MrBody on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    So much new stuff in this plus the new mini expansions... The insert's definitely getting full.

7962u2W.jpg?1

The co-op boss battles seem like a fun mode. I rather like all the new characters, especially the ones from Mini-Expansion #3. The card archaeologist character, Shaffile DuCarte, seems interesting due to how different she plays due to her not being able to buy from the store directly like normal. (She, instead, spends 3 dollars to pick up the top three cards off the store. Keeping one, putting one in the Aftermarket for sale, and discarding the third.) Raritti Sikarh is kinda cool too, since she can spend cards (discarding with a total star value equal to the target) instead of money to buy cards out of the aftermarket, and then during the tournament basically fusing two cards into one slot, combining all of their stats and effects.

The new starter decks seem interesting, since they seem a bit more aggressive to play. There's actually cards that cause clashes in them!

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

because I don't know for sure it'll be bad and if it's good I would pay a hell of a lot more to get it later plus I don't get all my money back, just about 70%.

Wait and see then and resell for 100%+ to someone who missed out and wants a copy?

Also, got my copy of Red 7 today! Going to try it with the kids tonight. I'm not sure how the "win or you're out" aspect will be accepted. There may be tears.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    Also Im thinking real hard about dropping my Dinosaur island pledge after reading about Pandasaurus previous Kickstarter messes, plus my own experience with them re Machi Koro. It would be done already except that I'm dumb and the KS exclusive dinosaur meeples look cool.

Base game Machi Koro is pretty lame. I also don't like Cat Tower. My wife just randomly buys cat games for whatever reason. I do REALLY want those dinosaur meeple though. Too bad I can't get those without the game. Hopefully Meeple Source makes some.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Wait and see then and resell for 100%+ to someone who missed out and wants a copy?

Yeah but I just hate doing that. I feel like such a jerk. I pretty much sell for what I paid plus shipping at the most.

But I think anyone who wants it will be able to get it; it's fast tracking to retail I'm sure.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Dirk2112 wrote: »

Base game Machi Koro is pretty lame. I also don't like Cat Tower. My wife just randomly buys cat games for whatever reason. I do REALLY want those dinosaur meeple though. Too bad I can't get those without the game. Hopefully Meeple Source makes some.

I just bought the Dreamlands expansion for eldritch SOLELY because one of the new ally cards is a cat :(

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Reorganized the board game collection into two groups; serious/newer stuff and (mostly)casual/older stuff. Much happier with the new set up with room to grow.

24sft25ig73n.jpg
    310025t003f3.jpg

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    You would dare to post a picture of that which shall not be named in this thread?!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Is that a Carcassonne collection in the big red containers at the top?

Also when I was a little kid, my best friend and I went to the store with our Xmas money. We both wanted HeroQuest which was probably a few years old at the time, but still in stock. Next to it we saw the new "Battle Masters" game. We decided that each of us would get one instead of both of us having copies of the same game. He had HeroQuest and to this day I wish I ended up with it. I still have Battle Masters though and the minis were cool for its time, but it is really unbalanced.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    You would dare to post a picture of that which shall not be named in this thread?!

That is a bit of an over-reaction to seeing a picture of Catan.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options

Also when I was a little kid, my best friend and I went to the store with our Xmas money. We both wanted HeroQuest which was probably a few years old at the time, but still in stock. Next to it we saw the new "Battle Masters" game. We decided that each of us would get one instead of both of us having copies of the same game. He had HeroQuest and to this day I wish I ended up with it. I still have Battle Masters though and the minis were cool for its time, but it is really unbalanced.

May be X-Wing minis. I use the same exact case, and the case was mentioned many times in the X-Wing thread, for my own set.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    That is a bit of an over-reaction to seeing a picture of Catan.
    It appears to still be in shrink, so don't worry, nobody's had to play it.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Reorganized the board game collection into two groups; serious/newer stuff and (mostly)casual/older stuff. Much happier with the new set up with room to grow.

how in god's name do you own two copies of monopoly

I have over 300 games and I don't have even one

• Options

I don't like the game of Life either, but that is Star Wars life. I wonder if you can buy Fire Insurance for your Death Star. You are gonna need it.
    Also can you marry a wookie?

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I'm mostly disappointed that Scrabble and Jenga aren't also somehow Star Wars editions.

Edit: Star Wars Scrabble does not exist. But this does, I'm sure furthering the universal nerd divide:
    https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/42778/star-trek-scrabble

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    edited February 2017

How did you pull that off? We have a copy because a friend of ours saw our board game collection and couldn't believe we didn't have a copy. I wish I could say it was the worst game we own, but we also have Jamaica, Yahtzee, Trivial Pursuit, and Phase 10. For some reason or another my wife loves those last 3. She also buys cat games (as I mentioned above). We have Cat Tower, Rat-a-tat-cat, Kittens in a Blender, Exploding Kittens, and all the terrible expansions. Fortunately we have no actual cat.

Man we have a lot of crappy games.

Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

Quality of the base game aside, each of the expansions had incorrectly sized cards and it was like pulling teeth to get a response from them let alone to get replacements. And then the replacements for the second Expansion were still the wrong size, and then I gave up. Just a bunch of bad Experiences with Pandasaurus, and if you look at the forums for their previous Kickstarters you will see that that is rule not the exception.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Quality of the base game aside, each of the expansions had incorrectly sized cards and it was like pulling teeth to get a response from them let alone to get replacements. And then the replacements for the second Expansion were still the wrong size, and then I gave up. Just a bunch of bad Experiences with Pandasaurus, and if you look at the forums for their previous Kickstarters you will see that that is rule not the exception.

I played it only with the Harbor. I had no idea all the expansions were wrong.

Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I may have just bought the Witcher Adventure Game on clearance at Barnes and Noble.

What did I get myself into?

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

ou3CVXx.jpg

I am full of CARD GAMES.

Bah I've only just got my shipping notice. Fulfillment seems relatively slow compared to other kickstarters, seems like in the UK at least it's been spread over almost a week.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Why, Red7, must you use a custom card size?
    Fortunately they still fit in standard sleeves, but barely. There's no extra space at the top opening of the sleeve.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

Those containers are indeed Star Wars Miniature ships. One for Imperial, the other for Rebels. Sadly, I haven't played in over a year and am like 5-6 waves behind. :(
    MNC Dover wrote: »

The OG Monopoly is from when I was growing up and I never got rid of it, much like a lot of the games in the "casual" shelf. The SW Monopoly was a Christmas gift and fit in well with my other SW themed board games. That being said, the wife and I played one game of Monopoly after I told her this was a one-and-done thing.

Besides, you need the games on the casual shelf to draw the non-gamers in. Then you bait-and-switch them with something from the hardcore shelf. Works every time.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    I had a read of the Dinosaur Island rules and they seem okay (if a bit convoluted at times), but oh my goodness is the font they chose hard for me to read for some reason. Yeesh.

Also, Hooligans are dicks.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Wellllll crap. Emailed Funagain about my Gloomhaven pre-order since it looked like several retail places had started shipping. They said I'm in the queue right around where they might be shorted on stock. So I won't know until they get all their copies in if I can expect one or not. :(

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
This discussion has been closed.