As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Watching Thread of [The Walking Dead]

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Despite the Garbage People being Garbage...
    That bit with Carl was good though. He came up with a decent plan to save his people. He got both the hard-asses of Daryl and Michonne to accept his leadership and he's already got Negan's respect.

Carl was shaping up to be the leader that the people deserved after all this is over, rather the war chief they need right now. I think I'm little dissapointed.

Also...when did he get bit? Did I miss it while scrolling thru Twitter? I assume it was when he was ko'd by the randomly exploding car. If that's the case, why didn't the zombie keep eating?

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    It happened in a different episode.

Siska on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Oh, right. When he met the new guy, yes?

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    I can't believe I've had to skip past a minute-long slow-motion montage of expressionless faces twice in one episode AGAIN

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    LaCabra wrote: »
    I can't believe I've had to skip past a minute-long slow-motion montage of expressionless faces twice in one episode AGAIN

yeah, that's really pissing me off

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Hello Walking Thread

I've had a bit of time off and used it for the valuable pursuit of catching up on some TV shows. I was a full season behind on this -- the last I had seen was last year's midseason finale.

A couple of general thoughts about the show:

The writing is frequently a mess, but I still don't think that I'd consider it a Bad Show. It does enough stuff right, for me at least, that I still enjoy it, even if I did lose interest for a while. I also want to give the show credit for being significantly more diverse than it was early on, and for developing several badass characters who are women.

I did come to the sad realization that I think I might be over Daryl. I'm just kind of tired of his whole broody, terse manpain thing. His seeming hatred of having actual conversations with anyone has just gotten really annoying to me, and I don't feel like he's developed much as a character in several seasons except to push even farther into those negative qualities.

General thoughts on this season so far:

Thank god I wasn't the only one who thought the editing early on was a confusing mess.

Someone must really love long montages of people's faces because I'm pretty sure I've seen it multiple times catching up.

The fucking Garbage People are awful. Like legitimately maybe the worst thing the show's ever done. They make no sense at all and are just bad in pretty much every way.

Now, spoilers for this midseason finale
    I have to admit, they got me with the end. And the thing is, it felt like a 'Carl might die' situation from the beginning, what with his life lessons and getting more screentime than it feels like he had in the past year total. But still, the reveal at the end, the quietness of it all, the long pan out down the tunnel. It hit me way harder than I would have thought. I actually shed a tear.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Catching up, on Episode 6.
    ...and now the garbage people just showed up again. I remember when this show was good. :bigfrown:

Edit - I don't understand what the writers are thinking, why is every single character all deciding at the same time in completely different spaces to go back to the Savior compound "on their own"?

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Okay, I agree with Kacey. End of mid season finale was surprisingly tasteful, but I kind of knew it was going to happen one way or another because of the way it was filmed.
    I'm still unsure how Eugene got the Saviors out of that situation? There's thousands of the herd pouring into the Sanctuary, how did Eugene get everyone out?

How was the first episode of the return?

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    Better.
    Catching up, on Episode 6.

Edit - I don't understand what the writers are thinking, why is every single character all deciding at the same time in completely different spaces to go back to the Savior compound "on their own"?

I think for some sense of morbid satisfaction. This is a group that has terrorized and murdered their friends. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, with the Saviors being tormented, all the characters that have suffered just want that moment of satisfaction.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I've been bindging the series for weeks to catch up to the latest season, but not quite caught up yet. This morning at work I was reading an article on Kotaku, and randomly on the side bar they feature an article that gleefully spoils the major character death from last night's episode in the headline, from a different site on their network, for no good reason.

I hope Hulk Hogan comes back to leg drop what's left of your shitty, terrible network.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    I've been bindging the series for weeks to catch up to the latest season, but not quite caught up yet. This morning at work I was reading an article on Kotaku, and randomly on the side bar they feature an article that gleefully spoils the major character death from last night's episode in the headline, from a different site on their network, for no good reason.

I hope Hulk Hogan comes back to leg drop what's left of your shitty, terrible network.

The writers decided to prolong that death* between last night and the previous episode from December, so there were a couple of months for people to catch up.

*what a surprise, right? At this rate they should just rename the show Tearful Goodbyes Between Oddly Boring Gunfights: The Series

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Okay, I agree with Kacey. End of mid season finale was surprisingly tasteful, but I kind of knew it was going to happen one way or another because of the way it was filmed.
    I'm still unsure how Eugene got the Saviors out of that situation? There's thousands of the herd pouring into the Sanctuary, how did Eugene get everyone out?

How was the first episode of the return?

Re: the spoiler. Even after refreshing myself via the internet, I'm still not exactly sure of the answer. I guess the idea was
    that the horde all being concentrated outside was a barrier keeping the Saviors inside, but once they got inside the horde being more spread out actually made it a little easier to get through them, even though some of the workers got killed.

The midseason premiere was actually the first episode I've watched live since I think the 6 finale (I think I might've watched the 7 premiere the next day). It was fairly solid. Nothing super surprising but some good character stuff. Lots of callbacks. A B-plot with Morgan that I wasn't really a big fan of.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Watched the Premiere now, it's okay. I'm still not a big fan of the weird timeline thing.

Morgan subplot is actually kind of interesting:
    There's not a whole lot of internal humanity vs monster subplots happening anymore. Everyone's just 100% okay with killing each other and zombies now, the fact that Morgan is having psychotic episodes every now and then is a good character development. It might not be straight forward and will lead to meandering in episodes, but I can accept that for his writing. That kid showing up out of no where to finish the Negan captain was a surprise.

Major plot
    Carl draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggged on. I get he was one of the only original crew left, but got damn does it go on. Negan planting in the garden in the dream sequence was a big surprise too.

Ending
    Buhhhhhhhh, so Rick was having the dream sequence? Not Carl? Were they both having it? I guess Rick will end up bleeding out at a tree sometime this season.
    Last shot for speculation:
    t8pU5dU.png

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    So this show is now totally off in its own realm of fanfiction, I take it?

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Carl is a dong for not at least attempting to disinfect his wound. WHO KNOWS RIGHT

me @ the vfx people who are supposed to be making blood spatters happen when people/zombies get shot

this new child actor is bad

some of these day-for-night scenes are really hard to see

wow these vaseline flashbacks are naff as shit

wow morgan what the fuck

kk now going into hour 25 of watching carl die

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »

I read the comic still and, yea, the show is whatever now. Doing it's own thing.

I've stopped watching since...halfway through season 7 I believe. The whole show got very same ol', same ol' after awhile. I've caught bits and pieces and stay semi-updated via social media, but I can't bring myself to be insane about it anymore. I'll stick to the comics and watch the series finale when it happens.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I can't believe how bad this show has gotten. The internal narrative of individual episodes isn't even making sense anymore. I think they think they're being clever by having a disjointed narrative but it's just fucking annoying. Especially considering that no characters on this damn show develop for any reason (ie: them basically transposing the characters of Morgan and Carl last season).

Everything about this thing is just cheesy and boring. Morgan as some sort of serial killer is dumb and unearned (granted the kid stabbing that guy from behind was one of the most unintentionally comical things I've ever seen). Carl becoming Ghandi was unearned and made no sense.

Just end the damn thing. I bet it has 2 more seasons tops.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The opening Carl montage would've been an effective ending for the previous episode. It was a good farewell.

Too bad there were an additional 85 minutes of show.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    I really don't get it. Why have an entire extended episode about it?

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Ad dollars.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »

I read the comic still and, yea, the show is whatever now. Doing it's own thing.

I've stopped watching since...halfway through season 7 I believe. The whole show got very same ol', same ol' after awhile. I've caught bits and pieces and stay semi-updated via social media, but I can't bring myself to be insane about it anymore. I'll stick to the comics and watch the series finale when it happens.

Cause like...
    ain't Carl kind of an important character in the comics? I haven't read them, but iirc, isn't he instrumental in the events leading up to the Whisper War?

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Comics and show up to now
    he's kinda the whole point of the comics. Judith ain't around, the only hope for the future is Carl. He's the reason Rick does any of this.

It makes me think Negan's ending is not going to be the comic version, because why bother with that now, when he's not gonna have that influence going forward? This season or next or the one after, however long they drag this out,
    gonna end with Negan's head getting smashed as 'poetic justice'

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Comics and show up to now
    he's kinda the whole point of the comics. Judith ain't around, the only hope for the future is Carl. He's the reason Rick does any of this.

It makes me think Negan's ending is not going to be the comic version, because why bother with that now, when he's not gonna have that influence going forward? This season or next or the one after, however long they drag this out,
    gonna end with Negan's head getting smashed as 'poetic justice'

I haven't watched TWD since a few episodes into the second half of season... 7?

Does it not seem like they're heading towards introducing those whisperer crazies? That would've brought me back in maybe.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    From the random bits of info I get from Twitter (since I don't watch), I have yet to see any indications of them introducing the Whisperers.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Ul6eUju.gif

• Options
    They are really stretching out All Out War.
    Only the Hilltop and the Foundry are still standing?

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    From the random bits of info I get from Twitter (since I don't watch), I have yet to see any indications of them introducing the Whisperers.

New speculation is that Jadis becomes Alpha.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

New speculation is that Jadis becomes Alpha.

I can definitely see Jadis being the next big bad. I don't know how much they'll be following the comics, though. I haven't read the comics, but from my understanding they've started to diverge quite a bit. Maybe they'll keep the same broad story arcs, maybe not. I wouldn't be too surprised to see season 9 being about rebuilding and character drama, maybe some minor enemies (like the Wolves) with another long, multi-season story arc being contingent on season 9 doing well. The Walking Dead is already a pretty old show, and has had its ratings in steady decline for several seasons now. How much longer can it last if there isn't an uptick in numbers in the near future?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    At the very least,
    They've wiped out the Garbage Pail Kids, right?
    There's no reason at all to go back to the dump at this point. I mean, she mulched the whole crew.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    But theres all that hillbilly vehicle armor there!

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »
    At the very least,
    There's no reason at all to go back to the dump at this point. I mean, she mulched the whole crew.
    I'm guessing that line about the helipad and solar panels will end up being important.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    At the very least,
    I'm guessing that line about the helipad and solar panels will end up being important.

Abandoned ... uh ... I don't know what installation would have a helipad at ground level.

• Options
    Underground missile silo?

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Hospital, potentially.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    I'll keep things from the most recent episode in spoilers, just in case:
    I'm assuming military. We're talking about a garbage dump where the trash was spread out rather than being piled together? Plus a helipad right there? I was guessing some kind of secret military thing there and the garbage was meant as a disguise. A bunch of weird Mad Max cosplayers didn't build a helipad after society went to shit, and it doesn't make much sense to have a helipad randomly at a garbage dump. An alternate explanation is that the helipad is just part of an adjacent building or complex.

But there's been almost no info given so far, so that was just a wild guess.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I don't know much about the Whisperers or Alpha aside from the fact that she's insane and bald, but I kinda had the same thought about Jadis last night. Plus shaving off that helmet hair would be an upgrade and she's already weird as shit.

• Options
    At least they got some full sentences out of her

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I'll keep things from the most recent episode in spoilers, just in case:
    I'm assuming military. We're talking about a garbage dump where the trash was spread out rather than being piled together? Plus a helipad right there? I was guessing some kind of secret military thing there and the garbage was meant as a disguise. A bunch of weird Mad Max cosplayers didn't build a helipad after society went to shit, and it doesn't make much sense to have a helipad randomly at a garbage dump. An alternate explanation is that the helipad is just part of an adjacent building or complex.

But there's been almost no info given so far, so that was just a wild guess.

I agree, although I think it's more of a Lost Hatch than anything in the sense that it was clearly chucked in by writers who are afraid people are getting sick of their shit. 'Hey, look, something really cool and mysterious might be happening soon!'
    It also felt like a little bit like a nod to Day of the Dead, but this has never really been a referential show, so that's probably just me.[\spoiler]

At this point, I'll take a goddamn smoke monster just to get shit going somewhere. I also think they should just skip Alpha and company. I don't think they lend themselves to cinemagic, much like Negan (but that's just, like, my opinion, man).

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    If they're gonna do Alpha and the whisperers they should use it as an opportunity to do a tonal reset on the show. Go pure horror with that creepy ass shit and take the camera off of the asinine drama of the survivors.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    If they're gonna do Alpha and the whisperers they should use it as an opportunity to do a tonal reset on the show. Go pure horror with that creepy ass shit and take the camera off of the asinine drama of the survivors.
    Then it wouldn't be the walking dead anymore.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net