As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Open Recruitment] Dungeon World: Seeking Delvers of the Menank

• Options
    AllyxiaAllyxia Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    And friendly fire is really only an issue if you've already made quota.
    I imagine Rona's penchant for friendly fire is one of the reasons Death is interested in keeping an eye on her.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    So, for my next level if I take Well Trained: Travel. Can I have the birds deliver messages?

NeoToma on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    Hmm.. if the wizard tower HAD glassed the town... wouldn't it all just have gotten better the next day due to time shenanigans?

Well, carpet bombing with magic would do some more....Ongoing damage which would make it kind of not matter if it rewound or not because fire

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    So, for my next level if I take Well Trained: Travel. Can I have the birds deliver messages?

Paste the text for me?

• Options
    Your animal companion is trained to fight humanoids. Choose as many additional trainings as its cunning:

Hunt, search, scout, guard, fight monsters, perform, labor, travel

Well-Trained

Choose another training for your animal companion.

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    Also @SutibunRi I had to fight pretty hard not to laugh when you mentioned explosive runes.

'cause the original conception of the wizard dungeon totally had an explosive runes situation.

• Options
    Oats wrote: »
    Also @SutibunRi I had to fight pretty hard not to laugh when you mentioned explosive runes.

'cause the original conception of the wizard dungeon totally had an explosive runes situation.

Yeah I ended up shaving some bits off due to time constraints, sadly. There were cool mobbos in there!

....Maybe there still are, but now they are leaderless?

• Options
    Your animal companion is trained to fight humanoids. Choose as many additional trainings as its cunning:

Hunt, search, scout, guard, fight monsters, perform, labor, travel

Well-Trained

Choose another training for your animal companion.

I would think that yeah you could probably ask/order them to deliver messages to somewhere you've been. It may take a while for them to get there and back though!

• Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So what I'm hearing is that Explosive Runes actually exists in Dungeon World, and Dra'alde was not being paranoid... pardon me while I make space in my spellbook.

• Options
    Whether or not Dra'alde can learn it is another question, but magi are kind of assholes.

• Options
    As a side note, Dra'alde was fine with using the corrupting dagger when he thought he was the only one in any actual danger from it.. he would make a bad Harry Dresden.

I guess it hurting someone else will temper his willingness to take up a Blackened Denarius in the future.. I mean, other than the twelve he already carries around..

• Options
    @NeoToma how did Zephyrs birds like the raincloud?

• Options
    I imagined them having a field day with that thing. Symone is a big fan of its asthetic, good for brooding under. While Castille kept playing around trying to land on it?

• Options
    edited April 2017
    I just realized most people from Session 8, and most watchers may be confused as to why Dra'alde quickly flipped through all of the books we were recovering for the Tower without my ever asking what any of them were about, or really any question other than making sure they were the forbidden books we wanted. Or why he chugged the vial of ink when we left town.

Prior to the session, I talked with TheRoadVirus about a new use of the Ritual move.
    Relevant bits of the conversation behind the spoiler.
    Regular text is me, Bold is TheRoadVirus, and Italics are Allyxia.
    A Ritual to recall/copy the contents of multiple books Dra'alde has quickly flipped through into other books, what am I looking at cost wise?
    I mean you can just transcribe stuff
    Unless you want like... A photographic memory ritual?

We won't have the books very long.
    You wouldn't download a spellbook
    I would download 7 spellbooks, and a cookbook.
    Maybe short term photographic memory?
    You hold the info inside of you and for as long as you want to keep it, it occupies a spell slot
    You can cast the words and pictures onto something once for free and then any time after that it's a cast a spell roll
    So you could maybe make copies of the books! But anything after the first set may forget the safety warnings. Or disenchant info etc
    Let's say it allows you to remember like a day's worth of stuff with perfect clarity?
    So whatever info you can cram in that day is all yours, boyo
    Extra days is extra slots

Any other up front costs for the ritual?
    You must drink a pot of ink
    Do I have to keep it down?
    Wait
    You put the spells on pages and the like
    by upchucking the ink

The ink sort of makes itself at home in you. And is your focus and reagent
    Keeping it down is necessary, yes

Edit, Days Later: Dra'alde told NO ONE about his new spell, nor what he was up to, as far as anyone can tell, he was just being weird, he has not even spoken aloud about it to himself.

SutibunRi on
  • Options
    Has anyone been to the Top of the Menank?

• Options
    Has anyone been to the Top of the Menank?

I would like to know this as well because that was literally the first thing Lomaine asked me about Menanki.

• Options
    Like climb to the top of the part jutting out of the ground?

• Options
    SPONSORED MESSAGE INCOMING

• Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Hey thread! I've been tuning into the podcasts and they've been a lot of fun to listen to.

If anybody's interested in doing some play-by-post stuff for Dungeon World, The Merry Freebooters of Ditchwater is running Dungeon World's Planescape variant, Planarch Heroes. I've got two open slots right now and I'd like to fill at least one of them.

• Options
    SPONSORED MESSAGE CONCLUDED. BACK TO YOUR CAGES

• Options
    Yeah, Lomaine wanted to know if there were stairs or anything man-made on the outside of the top.

• Options
    Allyxia wrote: »
    Yeah, Lomaine wanted to know if there were stairs or anything man-made on the outside of the top.

There was an expedition or two that tried to scale the sides. There aren't any discernable methods UP from inside for whatever reason.

Anyway the last group that went up there never came back and the water stopped flowing for three days so people kinda don't try and go up there without very good reason

• Options
    COWARDS

• Options
    I would love to see Zephyr try something like that next time he teams up with Killian.

• Options
    Clearly Zephyr needs to tame some kind of skyshark and fly up there.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    There is a thread for Wednesday's session on Obsidian Portal. Pop in and throw down what mission you want to do this week!

Allyxia on
  • Options
    I feel like, after having to deal with wizards like the beard studying elf guy last session, Dra'alde will put a few minutes into coming up with titles for himself.
    I was considering a long line of impressive ones, with the final one being "Maker of Tasty Snacks" but "Flavour Master" sounds more fun.
    It is, he believes, the most important Title, more so than say, Mender of Time.

• Options
    Dra'alde used ink to store information in his mind, ink is liquid, you know what's also made of liquid?
    What I'm saying is has dra'alde considered backing up his information in the cloud

• Options
    Dra'alde used ink to store information in his mind, ink is liquid, you know what's also made of liquid?
    What I'm saying is has dra'alde considered backing up his information in the cloud

God
    Dammit

• Options

God
    Dammit

He had not.
    Buuut..

Hey.. TheRoadVirus I need to talk to you about a new Ritual..

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    It's getting hard to keep track of everything going on that my character should be aware of. Like i'm going to go into another Code Red attempt only one person has five arms another is blind but is astral projecting a floating eyeball over their head and one is entirely made out of figgy pudding. Not sure how to roleplay my character apparently being unconscious for a full week.

Semi-joking but also i'm kind of worried that if it continues this way we'll end up with a core group of 4ish that the setting revolves around and everyone else is just kind of a hanger-on without being able to contribute due to both familiarity and level discrepancy.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    10+ you upload your data without too much complication (miraculously)

7-9 you are able to save some data in the cloud, but choose one:
    -it takes a long time
    -the screech of your modem draws a lot of attention
    -some of the data is encrypted with an MD5 hash providing no additional functionality but making it a minor pain in the ass to get back

6- your cloud suffers from a key vulnerability.

Choose two:
    -hackers now have your data, pay 10 x d6 coin in ransom
    -you've used up your tier of storage and need to hand over part of your True Name to register for the next tier of service
    -your cloud crashes in to you and you take damage equal to the load of your cloud
    -your metadata is bought by a nefarious Spambot, take -1 to cast spells forward until you expand your block list the next time you rest

Oats on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

I love this, and not just because it's a terrible pun!

See, I had been thinking about a backup/alternate character that would be a Cleric of a god of secrets for a while, and since Quom has already been established I can play the Cleric as an adherent to a sect of the church that concentrates more on secrets than water.

And now, thanks to your post, I have an amazing idea of how to offer up secrets to Quom!
    You take a bowl of water and whisper your secrets into it. Then you set it out and let it evaporate, which is Quom taking your offering of both water and secrets.

Well, you set it out to evaporate at home shrines, anyway. When you go to a temple (or meet a traveling Cleric), they will have copper pots ready to put over a fire so that your offering gets sent right quick.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    It's getting hard to keep track of everything going on that my character should be aware of. Like i'm going to go into another Code Red attempt only one person has five arms another is blind but is astral projecting a floating eyeball over their head and one is entirely made out of figgy pudding. Not sure how to roleplay my character apparently being unconscious for a full week.

Semi-joking but also i'm kind of worried that if it continues this way we'll end up with a core group of 4ish that the setting revolves around and everyone else is just kind of a hanger-on without being able to contribute due to both familiarity and level discrepancy.

Yeah, this is sort of my fear as well. I think if we're not heading back in to get Halcyon or possibly fixing Rona, Thrognar will probably sit out this week to get some other people some screen time.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »

Yeah, this is sort of my fear as well. I think if we're not heading back in to get Halcyon or possibly fixing Rona, Thrognar will probably sit out this week to get some other people some screen time.

Samesies.

I wanted to go with Rona walking off into the desert for a bit because I really want to see more of the other characters play their stories out without taking too much of the urgency away from her arc.

Allyxia on
  • Options
    I honestly figured I'd be sitting out at least a session or two, up until everyone decided the Rona cure might be a quest?
    In which case I have to try to be part of it, even if it's just as a telepathic mind voice from the Tower saying "Yes, that is the McGuffin I need."

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Guys..
    from the Player Intro thread..
    I’m in the middle of making a wizard, I do not promise to be responsible with my placement of Fireballs in the future. (But I do promise to feel really bad about it later.)

The Prophecy has come to pass!

SutibunRi on
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Tonight's cast for CODE RED THREAT: The Elusive Halcyon:

Father Killian – Cleric – Lawful (Endanger yourself by following the precepts of your church or god.)
    Deity: Menanki and What Lies Beneath
    • The Menanki’s Will: Tell me why the Menanki wishes for something to be done, so I will do it.
    • Zealous: Tell me who must be converted to the Menanki’s will and I shall sway them.
    • Brave: Tell me what impossible or harrowing feat you require and I shall do it so I will be remembered.

Lazziar Chaezana – Ranger – Neutral (Help an animal or spirit of the wild.)
    • Is much more comfortable around the company of animals than humans.
    • Though silent and introverted, Lazziar is loyal to those who show her kindness.

Jarl Darkiron – Fighter – Neutral (Defeat a worthy opponent.)
    Might Be Hearing Voices, OooOOOoooHHHH
    • Reckless: Tell me to be careful in a dangerous situation so I can ignore you.
    • Crazy: Listen to my crazy idea so you can tell me how dumb it is.
    • Possessed: Question my strange behavior so I can deny it.

Niamh – Fighter – Neutral (Defeat a worthy opponent.)
    • Proud: Challenge my honor or strength so that I may prove my superiority.
    • Atheist: Tell me your religion so I may rebuke it.
    • Alpha: Ask me to follow or respect you so I may put to the test your strength and ableness to lead.

Thrognar – Paladin – Good (Endanger yourself to protect someone weaker than you.)
    Deity: Mishakal, the Goddess of Understanding and Healing
    • Headstrong: Tell me how stupid the thing I'm planning is, so I can do it anyway and prove you right.
    • Conflicted: Ask me to honor my oaths as a healer when there are monsters to smash, so that I have to choose.
    • Vanguard: Move to beat me into a new room or dangerous situation, so that I can race you.

Should be an interesting mix for tonight! Please let me know if I need to change either the flags or alignments for anyone.

Allyxia on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Yay, CODE RED. Let's get this done.

However

@Aistan, I'll happily give you Thrognar's slot. Rene deserves to be there just as much as he does, and I've been in so many of these lately.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Now that Jarl is got voices in his head, I'd like to add a Flag if I can:

Possessed: Question my strange behavior so I can deny it.

The idea is that the demons in Jarl's head could cause him to see or hear things and he'll react to them, making people wonder about him. So... slightly Malkavian.