As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Liquor, liqueor and cocktails

12345679»

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Alright, that makes sense. The local distillery scene doesn't sound too far off from what we have stateside then. And unless your distillery was truly entrenched in the local markets, I imagine it would be hard to compete with the big names, even if you are selling a similar quality product, so it's only logical to go in a craft direction with it.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Local distilleries mostly charge like wounded bulls because they're boutique places that make their stuff out of hen's teeth and unicorn farts. Or they don't, but they bottle tiny runs and then because of the limited supply and high demand bottleshops mark them up 50-100% anyway.

Tell them to knock it off, pitch in on one giant megadistillery, and then blend and sell their own "artisinal" varieties for cheap. All you need is a graphic designer!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't really mind paying 80 bucks for a bottle tbh - means breaking it out is something of a special occasion. Wine is the day to day drink for me back home.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Bourbon and whiskey are pretty much all I drink, so I just buy cheap bourbon and mix it with coke. The last "good" stuff I had was a bottle of Makers 46 ($80!) my little sister bought me for my birthday. Occasionally if I have a minor financial windfall I'll treat myself to a bottle of Buffalo Trace or something like that, but still around the $50-60 dollar mark. I'm planning to save up and get myself a bottle of Auchentoshan Three Wood at some point.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Jeez that's about 2x the price here. I'd pay $39 at a PA state store for Makers 46. We need to ship you some whiskey.....

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Ha ha nooo, save your money! I do okay with what I get.

• Options
    Hmm. You know, all this talk of expensive liquor in other countries gives me an idea...

[SIX MONTHS LATER]

Hey, gang, it turns out someone already thought of that, it's called smuggling, and it's pretty illegal. On the bright side, it turns out that Australian prison has Violet Crumble in the commissary!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Hmm. You know, all this talk of expensive liquor in other countries gives me an idea...

[SIX MONTHS LATER]

Hey, gang, it turns out someone already thought of that, it's called smuggling, and it's pretty illegal. On the bright side, it turns out that Australian prison has Violet Crumble in the commissary!

There's an old story from the Australian airforce about some of our uniformed best figuring out they could buy a fuckload of alcohol really cheap and bring it in, only for all that alcohol to be dumped into the sea by the pilot opening the bomb bay doors on his aircraft to help wash off airspeed because he came in to land a little bit fast...

• Options
    aqnb9prwec28.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Hey i'm in france and alcohol is super cheap

I'm staying in a part of the country that makes an alcohol called pineau, which is 17% drink that's a mix of sherry or congnac and grape juice

It's super nice

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    THIS IS WHY I MAKE PEOPLE BRING ME ALCOHOL.

Chris I could try to bring some to PAX Aus maybe.

Singapore is also fucked in that regard though right? (I'm assuming you'd be sourcing this from the USA somehow though)

Yes, that's what I meant.

The prices for alcohol, at least between here and Sydney, were approximately the same (aka vomitously expensive) with some variance based on type of booze. On average you can expect to pay 2x the U.S. price regardless of whether it's an alcohol from the U.S. or elsewhere.

So basically when someone comes to visit you or when you leave the country and come back, you have them go, or you yourself go, to the liquor store.

Isn't there local hooch that's less expensive?

• Options
    In northeastern New Mexico, far from any railway or interstate, there is a WPA adobe school building standing alongside a church and a post office. There are no other buildings for miles around. The last class graduated in 1980, but it is still maintained as a rural community center and because it is on the Registry of Historical Places.

In one of the classrooms, there is a purple stain on the thin brown carpet, about eight inches across and roughly circular.

This marks the spot where, in 1974, my mom's older sister's mason jar of home-distilled moonshine leaked out through the lid and leeched the purple dye from her crocheted purse into the carpet.

One day, I'm going to go back there and put up a plaque.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

Singapore is also fucked in that regard though right? (I'm assuming you'd be sourcing this from the USA somehow though)

The prices for alcohol, at least between here and Sydney, were approximately the same (aka vomitously expensive) with some variance based on type of booze. On average you can expect to pay 2x the U.S. price regardless of whether it's an alcohol from the U.S. or elsewhere.

So basically when someone comes to visit you or when you leave the country and come back, you have them go, or you yourself go, to the liquor store.

Nope! There isn't!

Singapore (expert-er experts feel free to chime in if I'm wrong, but I've quizzed some Singaporean bartender buddies of mine) doesn't have a "local" hard liquor the way that many other countries do. We do have Tiger beer. And there are a few microbreweries popping up to varying degrees around town, but again, that is only beer.

Tiger beer is the cheapest beer you can get, and even at hawker centers it's going to run you more than you'll pay in other countries for shitty beer.

There is tons to love about Singapore but the pricetag on alcohol is not one of those things.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    But George Washington's been dead for 218 years, you can't go to war against a dead man!Should we just start a war against liquor importers and legislators that put huge taxes on alcohol instead?

Not with that fuckin' attitude.

sarukun on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    ok we're doin' a new thing and it's pretty delicious and it's all my wife's idea

two parts vodka

one part ginger beer

one part cranberry juice

The Masshole Mule

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

Nope! There isn't!

Singapore (expert-er experts feel free to chime in if I'm wrong, but I've quizzed some Singaporean bartender buddies of mine) doesn't have a "local" hard liquor the way that many other countries do. We do have Tiger beer. And there are a few microbreweries popping up to varying degrees around town, but again, that is only beer.

Tiger beer is the cheapest beer you can get, and even at hawker centers it's going to run you more than you'll pay in other countries for shitty beer.

There is tons to love about Singapore but the pricetag on alcohol is not one of those things.

:(

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    So I've been living in kentucky since january and haven't really gone deep into the bourbon hole

anyone got any recommendations

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I like Bulleit myself

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Buffalo trace is good, Weller is good, honestly I'd just try whatever liquor store is near you that does not feel skeevy, and if they respect what you say you like, and work with you at whatever price you set, roll with it. Alternatively you should be able to find a bar that specializes, and most will offer tasting "flights" for decent prices. Get out there and get slizzered. Two big things I'd advocate trying to see if you like them are a wheated bourbon like makers, (tends to be "softer", smoother) and a high rye bourbon (called just rye if it gets high enough) which tends to be more peppery and rougher in a way some people (like myself) enjoy a lot. Bourbon can vary a lot, so finding out some basic types of taste you like in it can help a lot, as jeezus creezus can it be expensive.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Not to be that guy, but Bulleit isn't made in KY. Same with Buffalo Trace, et al. They're all from MGP in Indiana.

They're all good products, but if you want authentic "Kentucky bourbon whiskey," find a local distiller.

Bulleit just opened a distillery in March so will be interesting to see what that changes if anything.

• Options
    Buffalo Trace is made in Kentucky. At their own currently fully operational distillery. Bulleit is also made at their distillery. Bulleit RYE is made by MGP in Indiana and bottled at the Bulleit distillery in Kentucky.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Also, just drink all of it. Hell in my home town in NC there is a group making sorghum based shine and rapid aging it using pressure and oak chunks. It's tasty as hell, and not a traditional anything.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Buffalo Trace is made in Kentucky. At their own currently fully operational distillery. Bulleit is also made at their distillery. Bulleit RYE is made by MGP in Indiana and bottled at the Bulleit distillery in Kentucky.

Ah, thanks for the correction. Was going off old info as it sounded like Bulleit was going to make their own, but didn't know if they had switched yet for the wheat.

As said, it's all good (the good ones anyway) but just wanted to call out MGP in case it mattered.

• Options
    Bulleit bought an old distillery sometime in the 1980s and have been using that since, the new one they built last year is because they needed to expand significantly.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    My girlfriend and I have started making our own shrubs at home and it's basically all I think about anymore.

So good on a hot day.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Are you placing them slightly higher so you get a two layer effect with a little path running down the middle?

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    So I've been living in kentucky since january and haven't really gone deep into the bourbon hole

anyone got any recommendations

WMXDqZ3.jpg

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Are you placing them slightly higher so you get a two layer effect with a little path running down the middle?

<3

Bourbons for drinking, done by my fondness for them and not whether they're authentically Kentucky:

Old Forrester - a GREAT price point; arguably the best affordable bourbon out there in my opinion
    Old Forrester Bottled in Bond - like, really super good
    Colonel E. H. Taylor - my new fave hotness
    High West - their ryes are fantastic. I actually don't love their bourbon (American Prairie), it's a bit too sweet for me
    Four Roses - popular with others, I am not that big of a devotee
    Willett - like a lovely punch in the face
    Basil Hayden's - just fine, nice to have around I guess
    Pappy (hahahahaha but no seriously, if you can get it)
    Michter's - not my favourite but understandably some people's!
    Angel's Envy? My brother really likes this but I actually haven't had it.

My tasting notes suck.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Angel's Envy is real good. They use port barrels, I believe, so it's got a sort of sweet fullness to it.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I made a mint julep for the first time today. I did a really shitty job muddling and its not minty enough but i also don't have a proper muddler.

• Options
    I made it with Bulleit, which I'm not particularly impressed with honestly

• Options
    Did you use some superfine sugar in the bottom? That helps grind up the leaves.

• Options
    Just regular sugar. Don't have any alternatives on hand sadly

• Options
    That's (super) fine, it just may not have dissolved as completely as superfine.

The crystals just help the mudler pulverize the mint.

• Options
    Holy bajeezus, I just bought a bottle of applejack from my local liquor store. I can see why we got a whole folk legend out of this stuff. It's like whiskey, but with apples!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Moscow mules are good for you