As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LGBT protections and rights

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    Fortunately conservatives have the power of massive hypocrisy. So they can simultaneously hold the principle “no-one should be able to tell parents what medical decisions they should make for their kids” and “parents should not be allowed to permit their kids to have gender-affirming healthcare.”

no one should tell us how to raise our children.

But we will definitely tell you how to raise your children.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Fortunately conservatives have the power of massive hypocrisy. So they can simultaneously hold the principle “no-one should be able to tell parents what medical decisions they should make for their kids” and “parents should not be allowed to permit their kids to have gender-affirming healthcare.”

There was on dude- I may have linked him a while back? who was simultaneously arguing that treating trans kids was child abuse and "parents have a right to hate their kids" to justify mistreating them

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

There was on dude- I may have linked him a while back? who was simultaneously arguing that treating trans kids was child abuse and "parents have a right to hate their kids" to justify mistreating them

...so was he arguing for or against criminalizing gender-affirming care?

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

...so was he arguing for or against criminalizing gender-affirming care?

Oh very much in favor of making all trans kids and their parents criminals

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    This is a few days old, but it's still bone chilling.

Florida just announced that it is ending medicaid coverage for transgender ADULTS for their gender affirming care.

As expected, the attacks on trans kids have progressed to attacks on medically necessary care for trans adults.

The end goal is forced detransition or harm.

Link to image of document in Tweet

The anti-trans rhetoric is really ramping up recently - Particularly with people like Helen Joyce explicitly saying that it's more important to ensure policy makers will block or deny the ability of anyone to transition.

Pretty terrifying, to be honest.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Ohio's House at the literal last minute passed an absolutely nightmarish transgender-child targeted law for a second time (the first time it was blocked in the senate and the governor threatened to veto it), but that they're still trying is ghastly.
    https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/politics/ohio-politics/ohio-gop-passes-bill-aiming-to-root-out-suspected-transgender-female-athletes-through-genital-inspection

Basically, if any female athlete is accused of being biologically male, they have to submit to a battery of invasive and traumatizing physical inspections, expensive blood work, and DNA work, or are barred from participating. There's also no penalty for false accusations, so basically it would be free season to torture teenagers.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    A Pride rally in Idaho was going to turn into a bunch of chuds rioting. Thankfully the police did something right.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Press conference said it was a concerned citizen who noticed all of them loading up in a van.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Their coworkers obviously weren't going to snitch on themselves.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Ohio's House at the literal last minute passed an absolutely nightmarish transgender-child targeted law for a second time (the first time it was blocked in the senate and the governor threatened to veto it), but that they're still trying is ghastly.
    https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/politics/ohio-politics/ohio-gop-passes-bill-aiming-to-root-out-suspected-transgender-female-athletes-through-genital-inspection

Basically, if any female athlete is accused of being biologically male, they have to submit to a battery of invasive and traumatizing physical inspections, expensive blood work, and DNA work, or are barred from participating. There's also no penalty for false accusations, so basically it would be free season to torture teenagers.

A conservative 2 for 1 - further grant themselves power to control women in general.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

A conservative 2 for 1 - further grant themselves power to control women in general.

Yeah, this seems like it would basically completely fuck up female sports.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    A Pride rally in Idaho was going to turn into a bunch of chuds rioting. Thankfully the police did something right.

I suppose being crammed into a hot Uhaul with a bunch of other guys during June might be enough to get one of them to turn, if only for fresh air.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I gotta wonder how many of them are cops

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I wonder how many of them aren't cops

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    https://apnews.com/article/lifestyle-texas-california-foster-care-scott-wiener-b17a53196d54c7929d3c340b1bf3410c

19 states are proposing laws preventing anti LGBT laws in other states from hurting kids in theirs. If a bigot parent moves to Texas and gets a court order granting custody for "child abuse" these states would ignore it.

Remains to be seen how many of these will pass but it's a good idea with broader support than I expected.

so much for full faith and credit....

So I'm not the only one who gets the feeling we're speed running the years before the civil war?

Wonder when we get our Dread Scott decision.

I have bad news for you...

That is arguably be more comparable to Plessy than to Dredd Scott. Whether or not women are viewed as people with equal rights will be determined by which State you're in, rather than placing women wholly outside the bonds of protection of the Constitution nationally. If a national abortion ban is subsequently passed and upheld, then that case will be the modern Dredd Scott.

Tossing it to the states is probably more analogous. But this decision is less Dred Scott in other important aspects. Dred Scott was an attempt at baby splitting in order to save the Union. Read today it seems very much not baby splitting but at the time it was so. The decision was more or less to remove the ability of the federal government from making decisions on slavery. IE. To leave it up to the states permanently.

It was a failed attempt sure. But a symptom rather than a cause. And a herald of the civil war only in that it happened before it not in that it was a proximate cause. Granted. Maybe a more definitive statement on either side might have accelerated things or maybe it would have been a clear decision and stopped things had Scott succeeded. But i doubt that would have been the case.

This case is not so. It’s not about keeping the federal government out of a hit button issue it’s about creating a schism point and setting up the structure to enforce some states preferences over others. It would have been as if Dred Scott ruled that NY could not have made slavery illegal.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    In another of what's becoming an increasingly and distressingly common event, a drag storytelling event was disrupted by the Proud Boys.
    Alameda County Sheriff's Dept. Lt. Ray Kelly said the group entered the library during an event called Drag Queen Story Time. Kyle Chu, also known as drag queen Panda Dulce, hosted a story hour meant for preschool-aged children in celebration of Pride Month.

"I've always received death threats, hate mail for doing drag queen story hour. This time it felt very close to violence," Dulce said in an interview with KPIX 5 on Sunday.

Link to a Tweet with some video of this is available under the spoiler. Spoilered for hate speech.

The men who stormed into “Drag Queen Story Hour” at the San Lorenzo Library were described as members of the Proud Boys Organization. Sheriff's says an active hate crime investigation is underway. Im told this video was taken once the situation was “calmer.”

A similar mob crashed an earlier family-oriented drag Pride event in Dallas, I believe, last week. With similar rhetoric about this being "grooming". This is the end-result of stochastic terrorism from the GOP and their talking heads on Fox. They're trying to use this as anti-trans evidence (despite the fact that drag has nothing to do with being trans), and it's playing to the crowd really effectively. That's why we're seeing more and more of these mobs. I mean, this happened in San Lorenzo, which tells you that these mobs are cropping up everywhere. People are really convinced that there's a conspiracy to harm their children, and they're going to take up arms to stop it.

Also, aside: Can we agree that the fucking hand sign these loathsome chuds are flashing is, indeed, a symbol of hate now? Enough people have done it in support of that that it's long passed the stage of irony.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Biden signed an executive order for a whole bunch of queer rights stuff. Notable is banning federal funding towards any program that offers conversion therapy bullshit.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Is this executive order anything other than a series of suggestions and/or requests? Unless I'm not reading the actual executive order, this doesn't seem to be empowering anyone or any organization to take action?

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    After looking into a bit apparently the mob who interrupted the event and harassed everyone brought "evidence" that the reader at the event was dangerous and showed it to at least one of the parents on their phone. This "evidence" was an edited version of the Natalie Portman rap from SNL (that at one point includes the line "all the kids looking up to me can suck my dick") that featured the reader.

Here's the original SNL video:

https://youtu.be/-A0iftflme4

So basically they were using the fact that the reader made something inappropriate for children in the past against them, which ignores that a lot of celebrities that interact with children at events have also made content inappropriate for children at some point (such as, in this case, Natalie Portman).

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

FVd3QykWUAAml_H?format=png&name=small

Florida Medicaid will no longer be covering ANY services of anyone in prison or other holding facilities (clause 6) or ANY services for gender dysphoria (clause 7).

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    It reads like it is only going to deny coverage to those currently held in jail or prison it seems but I could be reading it wrong. Regardless it’s monstrous to do to anyone period and I’m sure is just an opening salvo.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    It's both. The formatting is poor.

• Options
    Wait, so if you're poor, sick, and imprisoned in Florida you get to just die? Or am I misreading that?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Wait, so if you're poor, sick, and imprisoned in Florida you get to just die? Or am I misreading that?

Being poor and sick is a great way to get imprisoned in America.

• Options
    So at what point does seeking asylum from a shitty state become a thing? Like, the US as a country grants refugee status for less, no?

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022

Looks like you're denied Florida Medicaid under those circumstances. I'm guessing that program isn't the only one that provides healthcare for prisoners.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Looking at the formatting, it seems like the prison section was already there and the only new bit is the gender dysphoria section. I don't think even Florida could get away with just not providing healthcare for prisoners, right? So there has to be something available to them that isn't Medicaid.

I mean that doesn't make it good in any way, just that Florida seems to have always been kind of shitty to prisoners (like most of the USA really). Gender dysphoria care being denied through Florida Medicaid is new and awful and very deserving of scorn, the prison thing is old and awful and also deserving of scorn (probably, depends how care for those imprisoned works out in the end I suppose but it's Florida so I don't have high hopes).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    This undoubtedly violates HHS requirements, so the question becomes "will Florida throw away all of their Federal Medicaid money to punish trans people?" and I don't know the answer to that.

moniker on
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    This undoubtedly violates HHS requirements, so the question becomes "will Florida throw away all of their Federal Medicaid money to punish trans people?" and I don't know the answer to that.

The answer to which is yes. They will then blame liberals, DeSantis will use this to push his presidential run, they'll sue the Federal government anyway over the money loss, it'll go to the Supreme Court, and the Court will rule in Florida's favor because the right wing majority views states rights as more important than federal and hates trans people to boot.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Clarification: Conservatives only care about states rights if the federal government is not sufficiently conservative.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Looking at the formatting, it seems like the prison section was already there and the only new bit is the gender dysphoria section. I don't think even Florida could get away with just not providing healthcare for prisoners, right? So there has to be something available to them that isn't Medicaid.

I mean that doesn't make it good in any way, just that Florida seems to have always been kind of shitty to prisoners (like most of the USA really). Gender dysphoria care being denied through Florida Medicaid is new and awful and very deserving of scorn, the prison thing is old and awful and also deserving of scorn (probably, depends how care for those imprisoned works out in the end I suppose but it's Florida so I don't have high hopes).

I just downloaded the texts of the rule and the proposed amendment, so I can confirm the Gender Dysphoria part is the only new or altered section (aside from numbering the subsequent sections). After googling around a bit, it looks like healthcare for prisoners is federally mandated and failing to provide it is considered a violation of the 8th amendment (cruel and unusual punishment). Prison healthcare is still shite by all accounts, but it continues to exist.

If the proposed amendment goes through in July, what it will do is prevent Medicaid paying for, AFAIK, every gender dysphoria treatment that actually works (barring the unreliable possibility where it just goes away in time). So that's bad.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

They're looking for a court fight.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

The end goal seems to be the final solution

Tweeter is a columnist for the Washington Post

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    I know several people who are homophobic but care for gay family members and friends. I'm curious how many of them ever consider the possibility of the people they care about getting jailed for being gay if their side has their way.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I know several people who are homophobic but care for gay family members and friends. I'm curious how many of them ever consider the possibility of the people they care about getting jailed for being gay if their side has their way.

I don't think they will care as long as it's not actually happening to someone they know, and when it is, it will be too late, "they couldn't have done anything", "their own life was in danger", ignoring their previous support for policies like this and presenting themselves as poor victims, the little Homophobe that would have but couldn't

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

I don't think they will care as long as it's not actually happening to someone they know, and when it is, it will be too late, "they couldn't have done anything", "their own life was in danger", ignoring their previous support for policies like this and presenting themselves as poor victims, the little Homophobe that would have but couldn't

When they were going through their motions on undocumented residents, there was always the "Oh, but he was one of the good ones!" local interest articles every so often. They don't even consider how it affects themselves, only that it targets others.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    So at what point does seeking asylum from a shitty state become a thing? Like, the US as a country grants refugee status for less, no?

I mean, it's America, you can just move to another state, you don't need a refugee status or asylum because there's already freedom of movement. Obviously it's fucked that we're at this point, though.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular

I mean, it's America, you can just move to another state, you don't need a refugee status or asylum because there's already freedom of movement. Obviously it's fucked that we're at this point, though.

I expect that to be true for somewhere between the next 2 to 4 years. If the fascists successfully take the next two federal elections there really isn't any form of institutional power to prevent them from enacting whatever they want, including restricting interstate freedom of movement.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2022

Doesn't Idaho already go after you for attempting to leave the state?

Incenjucar on
  • Options

If you have the means and money to do so, yes. That excludes a lot of people.