As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

House of Flying DOODLES (Occasionally NSFW)

• Options
    misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    coloursmall.jpg

sketch a sketch a

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Thanks a lot scos! I really appreciate your crit. I will definitely try and fix all those problems as I work on it more.

For some reason Im afraid of contrast/saturation. Im trying to push myself, but obviously am not doing it right yet. :P

[edit] SICK! That loots much better! Not only is the coloring better, youve made my design look like a mere sketch! Thanks again, and I'll try and work more towards this direction.[/edit]

Sublimus on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Because I've had some really great paintovers done for me here, I figured it's time I give one a shot. This is just a quick example of how I would handle most of the changes I mentioned, plus a few minor cosmetic tweaks to make him seem more balanced. Without changing your forms much you can see how some more accurate lighting really goes a long way to making your character read better.

Hope this helps
    creeperpaintover.jpg

Scosglen on
  • Options
    The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Speedpaint woot

~ 20 minutes

speedpaintmj7.jpg

Getting better.... tiny bit by tiny bit.

If anyone has any comments/critiques on my fairly poorly developed style, let me know, they've been really helpful so far.

EDIT: LOL AN IMAGE WOULD HELP

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Knight - I would do a paintover for you, but I wouldn't know exactly where to begin. I think one of the issues that you have here is that your forms are so loosely defined - your robot-thing(?) seems so "lumpy". The armor or whathaveyou isn't symmetrical (not that is needs to be in any design, but it looks like you were trying for symmetry here). You look stuck on using large round brushes...which can be good! That can be fine! But don't let that back you into a corner, where all you end up doing are soft-edged, rounded shapes. If you need to, get a small rounded brush and make an edge. Clean up that shape. Still too round? Take another color and go over the edge to make it poin-teh! I honestly think that if you just cleaned up your shapes a bit, everything would be easier to read, visually. You may also want to use a more opaque brush in the beginning, and then use a light-opacity brush for the shading and highlights. I think the water-color effect you have in that image is contributing to the lumpy look, as well.

Miso - that is bizarre. I like it.

Scos - great paintover. :D The beak-metal thing is especially nice.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, I actually would have tightened up form on this if I spent more time on it, but I only spent about 20 mins on it... probably less. Thanks for the pointers, Nightdragon :)

How do I get a brush other than round? I'm just using tofushop right now to learn my way around my tablet XD

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So why didn't you spend more time on it? And what's stopping you from going back and fixing it up?

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Just wanted to pracice and see what I could get out in a short amount of time.

But you're right, I should go back and work on it some more.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Iruka wrote: »
    Flay wrote: »
    @Iruka: I love how layered and vivid your colors are! Post a progress record one day, I'd really like to see how you go about doing your stuff.

I think....I'd think I'd have to make a video. I don't really think I'd know where to stop and save. Would you be interested in that?

Heck yeah! Even better!

More speed portraiture from english class today, while watching another movie.

quickportraits2vx2.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Started painting my mother. Any suggestions?

aiti_wip1.jpg

It's damn problematic to decide how much wrinkless and stuff you want to depict. I mean I'll probably give it to her as a mother's day present so I'd like it to be atleaast a bit flattering.

no_toast on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, I actually would have tightened up form on this if I spent more time on it, but I only spent about 20 mins on it... probably less. Thanks for the pointers, Nightdragon :)

How do I get a brush other than round? I'm just using tofushop right now to learn my way around my tablet XD

Well, I'm not familiar with Tofushop, but using Photoshop, there's a dropdown-menu where you can pick different brushes.

I hope you understand that using a round brush is fine, right? :P As far as I know, most people tend to use round brushes for the majority of their work. I do, at least. You can turn the naturally-rounded edge into a sharp edge by "shaving off" the excess with another round brush. You don't need to find a specific brush in order to make a specific shape...and in lots of cases, doing that is a bad idea. This is how people get stuck using the "hair/grass" brush for the grass, the cookie-cutter "leaves" brush for tree leaves...and end up making their entire picture looking really, really fake. It's also generally just a good idea to understand how to make all types of shapes and textures using only a round brush.

I hope I don't sound patronizing or anything...ths stuff can be obvious to some, but not to others. :|

NightDragon on
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    @Toast : I think that will look really good once you align the eyes, eyebrows, and bridge of nose better. The left side (viewers) especially seems to be shifted up and right, as if you drew the stuff above the cheeks with a vertical face, and the stuff below with a tilt. Do you have a ref pic?

Alot of really cool stuff on this page. =D

Shiboe on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    To elaborate on ND's point, I use round brushes exclusively, usually an elongated oval type shape at a 45 degree tilt, sort of like a painting knife.

When painting figures like that speedpaint of the armor guy you have there, one of the critical elements that you should always aim to get right as a main goal of the SP is to nail the silhouette. Silhouette is very important, and ideally you should be able to tell what you're looking at with only the silhouette if the character were pure black. Making sure your silhouette is strong is a good way to ensure that your gesture is good and that your character reads well.

In your SP you have lots of blobby, low-opacity strokes muddling up the silhouette all over your character, and these are prime targets for what ND was talking about with cutting back into your forms with a small eraser to get a clean edge.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    D.T.D.T. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Drawing of a girl I recently had a big thing for. She turned out to be not so cool. I kind of dig the drawing itself though, so I figured I'd show other people before I delete it.

edit: baleeted, a long time ago.

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    D.T. wrote: »
    Drawing of a girl I recently had a big thing for. She turned out to be not so cool. I kind of dig the drawing itself though, so I figured I'd show other people before I delete it.

davina.jpg

:lol:

Bottomed

aiti_wip1.jpg

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ugh, i gotta start posting more...

some newer sketches.

01.jpg
    chick with a bigass rotary cannon (the barrels go on to the next page).
    I'll probobly start painting this one today.

09.jpg
    Little hunter/killer robot guy. Got inspired by this crazy robotic "mule".http://youtube.com/watch?v=mpBG-nSRcrQ

04.jpg
    Bigger tank-type version.

03.jpg
    metal-slug-esque "battle combine"

02.jpg
    Toad shaman guy.

10.jpg
    guy with a big head.

06.jpg
    Lots of ass.

05.jpg
    Machiko Noguchi from the AvP books/comics

07.jpg
    steam-bot

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    CorgiCorgi Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    no_toast wrote: »

aiti_wip1.jpg

It looks like her face is getting squished into the middle. I think its because her left eyebrow line, nose bridge, and cheek create a C making her face look like a jellybean. Or I could just have googly eyes. Your mom looks like one of my aunts that I haven't seen in years. CRAZY OUTRAGEOUS!

Corgi on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    McGibs, you have some really cool stuff there. Love the Machiko drawing from AvP. The girl with the rotary gun bothers me a little. Something that large would probably be extremely heavy. I remember hearing on the set of Terminator 2 Arnold Schwarzenegger was one of the only people on the set who could even lift the mini-gun. Good stuff as always though!

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Gibs, is that a "peace" sign in the Battle Comb? :lol:

Damn hippies!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Many thanks Shiboe and Corgi, I think I now where to start fixing =)

Also Gibbs lovely work <3
    especially the 7th xD

no_toast on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    yeah, its chewing up hippies. I was way too lazy to draw all the combine blades (it was drawn in a coffee shop at 2am)

lol @ nib, I know a gun that huge would be impossible to carry (its longer then she is tall), I just wanted to draw a girl with an obscenely huge weapon.
    The minigun used in predator isnt actually that large by itself, and it was a lighter blank firing version which also had an external power source (there was a cable that went up ventura's leg) an average sized person could lug it around.
    Howitzer.jpg
    In reality, a minigun probobly the most impractical infantry portable weapon. If you took the real version of the gun in predator, its not the gun that kills you in terms of weight, its carrying the power scource (you have to carry a huge battery to power to barels) and several thousand rounds of ammunition (which would still only last a few seconds). After the weight, the next thing that woud get you would be the insane recoil, which would litterally have you on your ass after the first half-second.
    There's a reason air-cannons are only mounted on vehicles :p

But babes with big guns look cool, which trumps all that.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Thanks for the crits everyone :)

McGibs - those are always, nice steampunk stuff. Very metal slug-esque.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    McGibs wrote: »
    In reality, a minigun probobly the most impractical infantry portable weapon. If you took the real version of the gun in predator, its not the gun that kills you in terms of weight, its carrying the power scource (you have to carry a huge battery to power to barels) and several thousand rounds of ammunition (which would still only last a few seconds). After the weight, the next thing that woud get you would be the insane recoil, which would litterally have you on your ass after the first half-second.
    There's a reason air-cannons are only mounted on vehicles :p

the term minigun always cracks me up.

Ravenshadow on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    well, because its a miniturized version of the 30mm and other huge rotary cannons they use in aircraft and AA emplacements. Military slang at its finest.

288.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    McGibs, you crack me up. You post these fantastic doodles, making me go "ooh! aah!"

Then BAM! Random ass page smack in the middle.

They're all great man.

Godfather on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah McGibs, I wasn't trying to give you a hard time, miniguns are probably never used as infantry weapons. I just couldn't say the picture was cool without the explanation. I think they are called miniguns because they are the smallest weapon mounted to a helicopter. But thumbs up on the art. I think you should color the minigun one, it does look pretty sweet.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    D:D: Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    misosoup wrote: »
    coloursmall.jpg

sketch a sketch a

phongiw1.gif

Twins?

D: on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    McGibs, those are all bad ass.

Oh and chicks with mini guns? Yes plz.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    What about cyborg chicks with glowing hot miniguns?
    vulcan-02.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    McGibs wrote: »
    What about cyborg chicks with glowing hot miniguns?

Yes.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So i herd u liek chicks with big 'guns'

biggunsvz9.jpg

This is now an obligatory draw a woman with a big gun thread.

<3

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Look how long her right forearm is. Other than that, I dig it :^:

Greatnation on
  • Options
    MindsackMindsack Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    thingamajig.jpg
    First post btw.

Doodle of a pencil holder I made in grade 3, in PS. :P

edit:I mean grade 5. And it was done by mouse.

Mindsack on
    (''''\('-_-')/'''') rawr http://gabrielmolina.tumblr.com
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Mindsack wrote: »
    First post btw.

Doodle of a pencil holder I made in grade 3, in PS. :P

edit:I mean grade 5. And it was done by mouse.

Why do I not believe you did that in 5th grade? Maybe because in 5th grade you wouldn't have enough understanding of value to pull off that shading (no matter how poorly the whole piece is executed). Or maybe because your current work would be much better, and thus you wouldn't post that but your current work instead. Or maybe I've just never heard of a 5th grader that has much of an interest in photoshop.

You pick. Or you know, post your current stuff. And I'm kind-of skeptical someone would keep an old drawing they did in 5th grade and hold it in such high regard as to actually post it.

bread of wonder on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    I think he made the pencil holder in 5th grade, dude.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Hah I thought that was a possibility, but it wasn't really clear.

bread of wonder on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

SNAP

THAT'S what was bothering me. D:

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    CorgiCorgi Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

SNAP

THAT'S what was bothering me. D:

Also, her left thigh seems larger than her right one. that thigh seems to meet the boot and/or shin kind of off.

Corgi on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Also, what the hell is CCP? :/

Oh, and also...

Mudkip.jpg

TheBog on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    Started back up work on this guy again, after a few months' hiatus. Still a lot of wierdness going on, lots to fix and detail out more fully. Also some symettry problems on the back of the torso there.
    DK_004.jpg
    Previous iteration: http://bacon.iseenothing.com/DK_003.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
This discussion has been closed.