As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LET'S PLAY TOGETHER] The Witcher 3! The playthrough has begun!

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Huh, I thought I was closer to the end of B&W:
    I picked the go find Syanna option and now I'm in Fabletown. Didn't expect that. Nice to see another kind of location though, good on it.

Not sure what kind of ending I'll get out of this, but we'll see how it goes.

• Options
    Last boss of B&W
    is really bad.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I kinda understand Yenn's anger at the whole Triss thing. It makes sense and I don't blame her for it.

What I do blame her for is her actions on Skellige.

I understand that she wants to find and save Ciri. So does Geralt.

But Geralt doesn't do it with a "fuck everyone and damn the consequences" mentality.
    I mean seriously, her stunt with the Mask of Uroboros was basically boiled down to "don't worry, this probably won't kill everyone on the island!"

RT800 on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Schide wrote: »
    Last boss of B&W
    is really bad.

Blood and Wine spoilers
    What part are you having trouble with? It can be handled consistently, it's just... way harder than other boss fights

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    That wasn't just a random guess though,
    She's one of the most talented sorceresses out there, and has the background to call out the legend as a superstition

Now, I do agree that she's completely irreverent w/r/t local customs and beliefs when they don't work in her favour :P

Geralt will often choose a "damn the consequences" option--not just in the games, but in the books. He is just not as powerful (whether magically or politically) as Yen so his options are more limited. For instance, he was ready to torture a person to death in the books to get the whereabouts of the person who was hunting for Ciri (and was stopped only by Phillipa basically putting that guy into a catatonic state). In the games you can say fuck off to a hell of a lot of people, but it's true that for the most part you can choose to not play Geralt that way

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Beat a +6 ice troll on death march ama

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Last boss of B&W
    is really bad.

Blood and Wine spoilers
    What part are you having trouble with? It can be handled consistently, it's just... way harder than other boss fights
    Blood and Wine spoilers
    The second phase. I can't remember a game having a difficulty spike like this in a long time. I guess it was a mistake going with cat gear because he kills me in like two hits even through a Quen shield at points. It's bad design because you can only attack him at brief points when it lets you, and even then you have to time it precisely to be able to get a few attacks in.

And I hate the bat attack so much, I can barely ever get the timing on that right, and if it hits it takes me to 1/4 health from full with an active Quen. It's ridiculous. My most successful run was the first time through when I beat the second phase, got to the third and died. Then after another half dozen attempts, after having to wait through the load time and having to skip through everything again and again, I just gave up and put it on super easy and just got through it. Not worth the frustration. I hate long bosses with multiple phases and no checkpointing.

Just super frustrating after the rest of the game was so much fun.

Schide on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

how DO i get to sesame street?

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    When visiting an alchemy vendor, I'd love to have a quick overview of how many pieces of the wares he has to offer I already have.
    Is there some sort of a mod for this?

Mayday on
  • Options
    Last boss of B&W
    is really bad.

Blood and Wine spoilers
    Blood and Wine spoilers
    The second phase. I can't remember a game having a difficulty spike like this in a long time. I guess it was a mistake going with cat gear because he kills me in like two hits even through a Quen shield at points. It's bad design because you can only attack him at brief points when it lets you, and even then you have to time it precisely to be able to get a few attacks in.

And I hate the bat attack so much, I can barely ever get the timing on that right, and if it hits it takes me to 1/4 health from full with an active Quen. It's ridiculous. My most successful run was the first time through when I beat the second phase, got to the third and died. Then after another half dozen attempts, after having to wait through the load time and having to skip through everything again and again, I just gave up and put it on super easy and just got through it. Not worth the frustration. I hate long bosses with multiple phases and no checkpointing.

Do not quick-step

Dodge with A pretty much exclusively and you'll be able to make it

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Who all survived the fight

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Who all survived the fight

This was a solo, for the master armourer

• Options
    Oh Jesus, sorry

Still, that's a pretty good bit of ass-whooping. What setup did you use?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Just killed a level 26 archegriffon at level 16... that was quite the fight.

• Options
    Oh Jesus, sorry

Still, that's a pretty good bit of ass-whooping. What setup did you use?

All signs and the decoction that give you back health when you use stamina. Lots of yrden secondary and igni

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Last boss of B&W
    is really bad.
    Last boss of B&W
    is really bad.

Blood and Wine spoilers
    Blood and Wine spoilers

Do not quick-step

Also when he's powering up his insta-kill attack, run away from him. It takes some time to travel, so the further you are away the easier it is to dodge-roll successfully.

That one also took me a few tries, my build would get one-hit killed even at full health with a full quen up.

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Mayday wrote: »
    Just killed a level 26 archegriffon at level 16... that was quite the fight.

Those fights are hella satisfying. I fought a huge... thing in cave that I had to attract it home to fight, but the first time it royally kicked my ass if I messed up once. I came back a few levels later and it took about 5 minutes to kill but it was fun, yet still super challenging.

• Options
    I had to kill this troll literally without taking a hit

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I like (endgame spoilers)
    Brolo wrote: »
    Last boss of B&W
    is really bad.
    Last boss of B&W
    is really bad.

Blood and Wine spoilers
    Blood and Wine spoilers

Do not quick-step

Also when he's powering up his insta-kill attack, run away from him. It takes some time to travel, so the further you are away the easier it is to dodge-roll successfully.

That one also took me a few tries, my build would get one-hit killed even at full health with a full quen up.

also, run perpendicular to him when he's swooping. I makes it much easier to dodge than waiting for he last moment.

• Options
    B&W ending and boss spoilers:
    I just beat Deltof in super easy mode just to get past him, and finished the game. I am going to go back to a previous save before the branch and choose the one where you have to summon the head vampire or whatever and see what that's like, and I'll try to fight Deltoff again (assuming you fight him) at a higher difficulty. I was basically doing the things suggested, they just weren't really working. We'll see how it goes.

As for the ending, I think I wrapped it up fairly well. I found out Syanna was going to have the Duchess killed but still managed to get them reconcile, or least I assume since the credits rolled and nobody else died. I thought Syanna was going to kill her at the end hug there but then she didn't. So that's nice.

Then I went back home and Yenn was there and we decided to settle down like the ending of the main game said we would. So I'll call that a good ending.

Does that ending change depending on what choices you made in the made game? Like does Triss come if you chose her?

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I just beat Deltof in super easy mode just to get past him, and finished the game. I am going to go back to a previous save before the branch and choose the one where you have to summon the head vampire or whatever and see what that's like, and I'll try to fight Deltoff again (assuming you fight him) at a higher difficulty. I was basically doing the things suggested, they just weren't really working. We'll see how it goes.

As for the ending, I think I wrapped it up fairly well. I found out Syanna was going to have the Duchess killed but still managed to get them reconcile, or least I assume since the credits rolled and nobody else died. I thought Syanna was going to kill her at the end hug there but then she didn't. So that's nice.

Then I went back home and Yenn was there and we decided to settle down like the ending of the main game said we would. So I'll call that a good ending.

Does that ending change depending on what choices you made in the made game? Like does Triss come if you chose her?

yeah, the final scenes can change based on your earlier decision choices

• Options
    So where you at with the game, Tube? How's Skellige treating you? How's the game treating you in general?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    So where you at with the game, Tube? How's Skellige treating you? How's the game treating you in general?

I'm dicking around in Skellige. Obviously the first thing to do was all the Gwent stuff.

It seems fun! I wish there were some bigger settlements with more pubs and things to do but it's still a good time.

The game generally is still treating me really well. I've bumped the difficulty all the way up now that my build seems fairly solid, and I'm enjoying that a lot because it makes all the elements of the combat feel necessary. It makes sense to use decoctions etc when you actually feel like you could lose in a moment.

• Options
    My main criticism is that the whole "what happened to Dandelion" portion of the game is far too long and doesn't have much payoff. I don't really care for that character at all and I'm not pursuing the rest of his quests.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

Post-B&W spoiler
    You can get either Yenn, Triss, Ciri or Dandelion to visit depending on romances and endings

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    Well, well, well... I didn't even know about LotL coming out. I saw it available for preorder while (finally) buying Sword of Destiny. Ended up grabbing it, as well.

It'd also been while since reading BoF, so I decided to go ahead and just start up TLW again and read through all of them. Granted they'll be read in between, what will most likely be, long Horizon Zero Dawn binge sessions at this point.

• Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    My main criticism is that the whole "what happened to Dandelion" portion of the game is far too long and doesn't have much payoff. I don't really care for that character at all and I'm not pursuing the rest of his quests.

Without spoiling too much - you might reconsider. One of the best quests in Novigrad is in Dandelion's arc - and is mostly not even about him. I do remember there's a bit of fluff to do for him before you get to it though...

That said, without the book background, I also found Dandelion jarring. He doesn't really seem like the sort Geralt/Ciri/Yenn/Triss would suffer for long, but for *reasons* (that are never addressed in the game) he's one of Geralt's closest companions and friends. I guess.

Senna1 on
  • Options
    I think Dandelion is a character the games never really got a handle on, especially compared to the books.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Dandelion's a shit, but he's a consistent (and somewhat entertaining) shit, and occasionally shows tremendous loyalty to Geralt and Crew

There's only one questline that features helping him out further, I think, and as you can opt to screw up his plans and beat him up I'd TOTALLY recommend it if you are not fond of him.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't think the games get across how far back Geralt and Dandelion go. They have a very strong bromance going on in the books with constant petty bickering and so on.

• Options
    I really didn't like Dandelion's VA. He just didn't seem to fit the character very well.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Dandelion's no Zoltan

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Should really learn to say no to uninteresting-sounding side quests, the payoff to this Black Pearl quest was not worth going to the islands early.
    Had to go diving checking a bunch of clams before I can find the quest item black pearl, then had to reload a couple of times because I couldn't save the dude in time from drowners. Then he says he doesn't have the money I'll pay you Novigrad. So when I return to the city he's sad his wife didn't like the pearl because she's too old/confused and the final reward is 10 crowns. Then I realized I probably already had like a couple of black pearls in my inventory before all this I could have just gave him one from the start why didn't the game let me do this???

BronzeKoopa on
  • Options
    I'm going to mostly power on through the main quest now I think

• Options

I don't know if you have done them, but the boxing tournament on Skellige is worth your time.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »

I don't know if you have done them, but the boxing tournament on Skellige is worth your time.

The Olaf match was an instant classic.

• Options
    More B&W ending times spoilers
    Allrighty, did the other branch of the end quest, meeting the Unseen Elder. Much less interesting than the Syanna branch but still neat to learn more about higher vampires. Plus you get the Hen Gaidth equipment set which is pretty sweet.

So when I went up against Deltof this time I just equipped that entire set and he ended up being much more manageable when you can take some hits. So now I beat him legit and that's nice.

Aha, I figured that's what would happen if you didn't do Syanna's path, she kills the Duchess during the hug and they both die. Sad.

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Senna1 wrote: »

Without spoiling too much - you might reconsider. One of the best quests in Novigrad is in Dandelion's arc - and is mostly not even about him. I do remember there's a bit of fluff to do for him before you get to it though...

That said, without the book background, I also found Dandelion jarring. He doesn't really seem like the sort Geralt/Ciri/Yenn/Triss would suffer for long, but for *reasons* (that are never addressed in the game) he's one of Geralt's closest companions and friends. I guess.

Is the Dandelion quest the
    play you put on to draw out the shape shifter?

Because if so yes it's definitely worth playing through.

• Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    bombardier wrote: »

That's earlier in the arc, and required for the main quest, I believe.

I was thinking of
    The Novigrad serial killer quest, 'Carnal Sins'

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    bombardier wrote: »

That's earlier in the arc, and required for the main quest, I believe.

I was thinking of
    The Novigrad serial killer quest, 'Carnal Sins'

That quest bothered me, because I figured it out way before Geralt did.