As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LET'S PLAY TOGETHER] The Witcher 3! The playthrough has begun!

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

Banzai5150 wrote: »
    I love this quote of his.

I was stupid enough to sell them rights to the whole bunch. They offered me a percentage of their profits. I said, ‘No, there will be no profit at all – give me all my money right now! The whole amount.’ It was stupid. I was stupid enough to leave everything in their hands because I didn’t believe in their success. But who could foresee their success? I couldn’t.

Yeah no.

This right here is his main problem. CDPR opened with offering him a percentage, they tried to give him what he wants now but he refused and said he specifically just wanted a lump sum right then. Now that the Witcher is a huge success and there's a Netflix series that he's involved with he's full of spite and regret and just mad at himself for not taking the percentage when he had the chance. So he attacks the company that made his work recognized and loved worldwide. He says it himself multiple times that they would create a new series and new stories, plural. Which leads me to believe that he absolutely signed off on CDPR making their own stories with his characters.

I'm sure that he could have renegotiated with CDPR for some royalties, I seriously doubt that they would just ice him out completely. But to attack them with litigation? For the equivalent of 16 Million dollars? After the loving way they've used his characters and introduced his work to millions of people around the world? I kind of think fuck him. Stew in your regret, let him get his payday from Netflix and future projects.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Now I want him to take all their money though

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Yeah it is something of a heinous look and if there isn't a public apology and ostentatious house cleaning effort I ain't buying shit from these clowns

I have bad news

KetBra wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Man y'all

I'm really and genuinely sick of CD Projekt's shit re: letting their social media run amok in the most regressive, grumbler-signalling way possible

What happened now?

They co-opted a twitter tag regarding the erasure of the legal status of trans people in the US to advertise old video games

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Viskod wrote: »
    I love this quote of his.

I was stupid enough to sell them rights to the whole bunch. They offered me a percentage of their profits. I said, ‘No, there will be no profit at all – give me all my money right now! The whole amount.’ It was stupid. I was stupid enough to leave everything in their hands because I didn’t believe in their success. But who could foresee their success? I couldn’t.

Yeah no.

This right here is his main problem. CDPR opened with offering him a percentage, they tried to give him what he wants now but he refused and said he specifically just wanted a lump sum right then. Now that the Witcher is a huge success and there's a Netflix series that he's involved with he's full of spite and regret and just mad at himself for not taking the percentage when he had the chance. So he attacks the company that made his work recognized and loved worldwide. He says it himself multiple times that they would create a new series and new stories, plural. Which leads me to believe that he absolutely signed off on CDPR making their own stories with his characters.

I'm sure that he could have renegotiated with CDPR for some royalties, I seriously doubt that they would just ice him out completely. But to attack them with litigation? For the equivalent of 16 Million dollars? After the loving way they've used his characters and introduced his work to millions of people around the world? I kind of think fuck him. Stew in your regret, let him get his payday from Netflix and future projects.

Naaaahhhhhhh root for creatives over corporations, especially corporations that churn creatives up like CDP is purported to do

And if the law in Poland allows for it regardless of the original agreement, so much the better

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Yeah it is something of a heinous look and if there isn't a public apology and ostentatious house cleaning effort I ain't buying shit from these clowns

I have bad news

Man y'all

I'm really and genuinely sick of CD Projekt's shit re: letting their social media run amok in the most regressive, grumbler-signalling way possible

What happened now?

They co-opted a twitter tag regarding the erasure of the legal status of trans people in the US to advertise old video games

Are we sure they even knew what the hashtag actually meant and just didn't use a trending hashtag without thinking?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's very important, to me, that we make excuses for them right now.

• Options
    Pro social media guy tip: if you use a trending hashtag without looking it up first you are a fucking dunce.

• Options
    edited October 2018

I have bad news

Man y'all

What happened now?

Are we sure they even knew what the hashtag actually meant and just didn't use a trending hashtag without thinking?

This is the third time in as many months that they have done regressive and transphobic signalling on their social media and then followed up with the same non-apology, they one hundred percent do not need to be defended or given the benefit of the doubt about this

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

I have bad news

Man y'all

What happened now?

"Yeah, how's that for some use of hashtags" in the original tweet makes it sound like they knew they were being edgy/shitty by using the hashtag to me.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

I have bad news

Man y'all

What happened now?

Yes. It’s a pattern.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »

I have bad news

Man y'all

What happened now?

"Yeah, how's that for some use of hashtags" in the original tweet makes it sound like they knew they were being edgy/shitty by using the hashtag to me.

Yeah that definitely reads like whoever tweeted that knew exactly what they were doing. That is pretty shitty.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I'm unhappy about it. Not sure if writing to them will get anywhere, but I'm going to do so, and encourage everyone else here to do the same:

contact@cdprojekt.com

(If anyone has a better contact source, let me know; I'm sure as hell not interested in going publicly on Twitter and inviting a mob to yell at me)

I think an effective letter would discuss:
    1. The incidents and your disappointment/anger/disgust
    2. That you are/were a customer
    3. The impact of their actions despite these "we're not political" platitudes
    3. What you want done (an apology, no more shit like this to occur)
    4. Consequences on failure (wrong side of history; you not spending any more money on them)

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Yeah alright I'm actually feeling pretty punchy next coffee break I'm doin that, I won't even cuss maybe

• Options
    Sent off my email! It was long and rambling but hopefully the sincerity will get to... someone, an actual person

I doubt they'd appreciate it, but in this day and age and me being my private self I'm mildly discomfited even sending an email from an actual account. (I'm on the "never ever ever tweet publicly" side of things.)

Anyway, I feel a bit better, so this was a good task for me to do. Wyborn and I are leaning towards skipping Cyberpunk unless they wake the fuck up, properly apologize, and somehow show they're no longer courting the 'gate crowd.

signature.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    What is GOG’s connection to the Witcher?

I thought they were just a competitor to Steam?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    CDPR own GOG

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    On one hand I’m disappointed and will be skipping Cyberpunk.

On the other, I still haven’t even played Witcher 3 very much...

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Still playing through for the first time, probably closing in on a hundred hours in and possibly midway through the plot, not counting DLC. I do a lot of sidequesting.

Listen, you mutants, that's not how you light a funeral pyre. That's not how you light any fire, period. You take a 6x4x3 block of tightly packed logs, lay a corpse on top of it, and lightly touch the corpse's chest with a torch?

Unless this is some really subtle use of Igni that's covered in the lore, what you're going to end up with is some scorched funeral garb, an intact body, and a bunch of logs that don't even know there's a fire going on.

Literally unplayable.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    WHERE THE FUCK IS THE BEARD?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    He needs the fucking beard
    Also he looks good but I don't see him as Geralt, I definitely see him as "Henry Cavill wearing a Geralt costume"

• Options
    Get that fucking hair off his goddamn shoulder and tie that shit up in the back. What are you doing? Did no one give these people a picture of Geralt to look at?

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    HAHAHAHAHAHA

that wig is the wiggiest wig

• Options
    I mean it's a test shot, there are a lot of other things they could do with that wig

• Options
    Where is the headband

(The books always had him with some sort of a headband but I always read as incredibly dorky so ok I'm glad it's not there)

He looks like.. a prettied up version of Geralt in the first game?

Alternatively: a LOTR elf

Alternatively alternatively: Draco Malfoy's dad

signature.png
  • Options
    They should scar his face a little bit. He looks a little too young.

The beard could fix this too but apparently in the books (which I admittedly have not read) he mentions hating having a beard at some point, and the show runner said she’s trying to stay close to the books.

• Options
    He definitely needs to be scarred up a bit. And "Just short of Halle Berry Storm" probably shouldn't be the bar you're reaching for when it comes to the hair.

• Options
    If I had to guess I'd say this is just like "look he can play him okay, here's the rough outline, he can look the part"
    Now work on the details

• Options
    OR everyone in the show is gonna look like they bought their costumes online. It's fine

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    maybe to stay in line with the games he's clean-shaven in episode 1 and full mountain man beard in episode 10

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Actually, the first thought I had was that he looked like the first live-action Geralt (specifically the gif of the guy doing a twirly sword spin towards the camera, and getting sprayed with blood)

That's... not good

signature.png
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I don't think he looks that bad considering he's playing a younger Geralt.

I agree he needs a scar and maybe a small amount of stubble but it's a good start.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Also it looks like his eyes are normal? Once he has witchery contacts in he might look better. But yeah, very Legolas Halloween Costume atm.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Where is the headband

(The books always had him with some sort of a headband but I always read as incredibly dorky so ok I'm glad it's not there)

He looks like.. a prettied up version of Geralt in the first game?

Alternatively: a LOTR elf

Alternatively alternatively: Draco Malfoy's dad

Alternatively alternatively alternatively: Christopher Lambert as Raiden

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Damn, internet works FAST

emmyi7meo3d6.jpg

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Book Geralt hates beards. Complained that it was itchy. I don’t mind him for early Geralt from the books as long as they do something with his hair.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Book Geralt hates beards. Complained that it was itchy. I don’t mind him for early Geralt from the books as long as they do something with his hair.

My world is shattered.

Viskod on
  • Options
    That could actually be a fun character moment if he has to spend some time in the wilderness and grows a beard and fuckin hates it.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    a friend of mine pointed out that he doesn't have cat eyes, which is a big part of what's wrong, imo

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I wonder if they will actually do the eyes the way they are in the games. I can imagine it being thought that creepy non-human eyes on your protagonist could make audiences take to him less.