As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LET'S PLAY TOGETHER] The Witcher 3! The playthrough has begun!

• Options
    Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    So, first playthrough.
    I kinda sped through the story and unfortunately didn't interrupt Dyk to romance Triss, so then I romanced Yenn on her silly unicorn. Then I went back and did all the quests I missed, and have since found true love with Kiera and some gwent lady. And every courtesan/strumpet in every city. Also, LOL at the drunken party.

Think Yenn will be mad later? I hope so, she does treat me like dogshit.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Trojan35 wrote: »
    So, first playthrough.
    I kinda sped through the story and unfortunately didn't interrupt Dyk to romance Triss, so then I romanced Yenn on her silly unicorn. Then I went back and did all the quests I missed, and have since found true love with Kiera and some gwent lady. And every courtesan/strumpet in every city. Also, LOL at the drunken party.

Think Yenn will be mad later? I hope so, she does treat me like dogshit.

Yenn doesn't really care that much about Geralt's sex life, they both sleep around. Getting romantically involved with multiple women is a different story, however.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    I feel like I hindered my enjoyment of this first time round by trying to play it "canon" and romancing Yenn. I'll be more true to how I feel about the character over how I think Geralt is supposed to feel and break it off.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Yeah play the way you want to play.

For me, I had only played the games and never met Yen outside of her silent portrayal in the cutscenes of Witcher 2, but when she first meets up with Geralt in 3 I just felt the history there. She was snarky, a total bitch at times, but you can see how she cares for Ciri and how that love, and the love for each other brings, her and Geralt together.

Sadly, this made Triss feel more like a stereotypical video game romantic choice despite the good breakdown of these two relationships. Triss felt more like the fawning redhead that would do anything for you--though totally a woman willing to pursue her own goals and quite capable to boot. But since Triss had also done her own shady shit in the past to Geralt I didn't find Yen's attitude that off putting. Still I was happy to keep Triss as a friend. Shani also worked out surprisingly well and gave its own reasons why it wouldn't work out with Geralt.

Just IMO though.

• Options
    Wait, does Yen show up in Witcher 2?

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Only in flahbacks.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I just got to the Kaer Morhen drinking party and it is pretty good

• Options
    I just got to the Kaer Morhen drinking party and it is pretty good

honestly if there was just a DLC about hanging out with all your friends at Kaer Morhen i'd be back on this game in a heartbeat

• Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Edited: Problem solved.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Ha, stumbled across this picture on imgur. Sums up my feelings about Triss: good friend, not Geralt's lover.

1wP73K8.jpg

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    OUCH

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    You can't see what her other thumb is doing

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Holy shit that is pretty amazing fanart

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Nice that it has the watermark on it, too! That artist's deviantart is pretty nice! But also NSFW. She really likes drawing sexy ladies from the Witcher.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I just got this game because I am too broke to ever buy anything new and I like it a lot even if gwent is shit

• Options
    You're now obligated to use this thread as a blog to post your impressions as you go through it

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    okay

the horse controls are bad

I'm like....3-4 hours in and Geralt has yet to have sex with anyone, which seems weird, but also an expected outcome given who's piloting him

if the whole game had been Action Hangouts w/ Geralt and Vesemir, I'd be onboard

I'm gonna commit blasphemy here and say that now that CD Projekt has a budget they probably should have hired an actual actor to voice Geralt

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Nope and wrong on that last point

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    He has a good voice which is all that matters

Dude's not supposed to have emotions anyway

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Geralt's relationship with sex in Witcher 3 a lot more interesting and nuanced than in past games, I think

I'm so used to and affectionate for Geralt's voice that I can't distance myself from it to make any kind of wider quality judgement, but the guy has some great reads in this game

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with his voice

he's at his best when he's just being normal, any time he has to get angry it always sounds really weird to me

• Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    i started my playthough in june of 2016 and i think i'm finally getting near the end
    i finished ugly baby

still gonna be playing for a long time tho

i need to get levels so i can do the dlc which will add even more hours

Shabooty on
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Shabooty wrote: »
    i started my playthough in june of 2016 and i think i'm finally getting near the end
    i finished ugly baby

still gonna be playing for a long time tho

i need to get levels so i can do the dlc which will add even more hours

You're about at the (percentage)
    60% mark of the game

It's a long game

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    The Witcher 3 is a very long very good game

I've been slow-rolling a replay of it over the last half-year after beating it in like 2 weeks the first time through at release.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Some modders have recreated the prologue of Witcher 1 in the Witcher 3 engine:

https://wccftech.com/the-witcher-3-the-witcher-1-prologue/

They're not planning to go any further though.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I just got this game because I am too broke to ever buy anything new and I like it a lot even if gwent is shit

DuEjm7Zl.jpg

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I also do not find gwent to be all that compelling.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I liked Gwent a lot more having a mouse than a controller

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I mean once you get far enough into it you realize that spies destroy every other deck style

But it’s fun until then, and I enjoy the standalone beta which seems far better balanced

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I realized that spies destroy all decks immediately, because I've played any game with card advantage

Shorty on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I think I played like three matches of gwent my whole time with the game.

Match 1 I was like, this seems kinda bare bones but ok.

The Second I was like, wait these rules are dumb and bad and I never want to play this again.

The third was recently where I accidentally had to start a match with some drunk halflings-

ACTUAL SPOILERS FOR HEARTS OF STONE
    -because a ghost was possessing geralt to party at a wedding

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I played the Witcher 3 twice. The first time I bounced off Gwent completely and played only a handful of games when the story forced me, all of which I lost. The second time, I got more than a bit addicted to it and was shocked just how much quest and story content they hide behind playing Gwent well.

I can see the latter irritating people who don't like Gwent. To me, it's not like the game lacks story, so it was just a nice bonus to show that CD Projekt didn't treat any part of the game as disposable. My dream is that, one day, CD Projekt will path a version of their full Gwent game back into Witcher 3.

• Options
    I haven’t been addicted to an optional mini game as much as Gwent since Blitzball

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Shorty wrote: »
    I realized that spies destroy all decks immediately, because I've played any game with card advantage

Well but theoretically Monsters are able to get a card advantage by summoning other cards not in their hand

It’s just super easy to bait out against the AI and it’s a trick that only works once if you are actually using it well

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Having more cards in your hand at any given time is such a massive advantage, because it lets you largely set the pace of the game.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    One thing Gwent does really well is be a quality video game minigame disguised as a card game. Like most minigames, the actual outcome of the hands are rarely in doubt, because video games want people to win in order to progress to the content behind the win state.

At some point early in the Witcher 3, you get enough cards that actually losing at Gwent becomes extremely rare. Where Gwent shines is that it is still interesting and engaging to set up your cards for the next round, instead of becoming a boring slog. The tournaments, especially, become neat puzzles where the trick is to figure out the best hands to win.

• Options
    Mysterious Elf is objectively the best card

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Mysterious Elf is objectively the best card

i like other spies because you can get all the powers to play them from other people's graveyards and engage in intricate decoy wars

• Options
    Yeah but Mysterious Elf has literally no downside! It’s just a free bigger hand. Your opponent doesn’t get a stronger army or the ability to pull it back out and use it against you.