As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Volstagg the [chat]ious

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    I'm a Kardashian!

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    That wasn't really a new meme. I feel it was mostly drawn from the language of Whomp's Ronny replace.

perhaps but I think jeffs tube shows it is something more

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    That wasn't really a new meme. I feel it was mostly drawn from the language of Whomp's Ronny replace.

But I came up with Information Boy all on my own and I'm pretty proud of him.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    it turns out elmenent brain was the real information boy all along and I, the borgue

just as i deduced

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Delmain wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    oh i see, i guess i bought a license instead of a subscription which is different somehow hmm

*old person*

for 1password?

if you have a license you can use 1password on whatever devices you want, but you have to host the repository yourself (something like dropbox or google drive to store the actual repository files)

ah ok. is that the only restriction? otherwise full functionality?

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Okay now someone tell me which of these zillion password managers to use

Preferably one that is free and has all the features of the paid ones

The only totally free one is KeePass, which requires you to manage the cloud side of it if wanted. This is the kind of thing you should probably pay for considering they have all your passwords.

Lastpass is $1/mo. I don't know what 1Password costs these days, but they don't charge you again until the next major version.

1 password is apparently on a subscription model now a days.

Keepass sounds nice unless my database gets lost due to a failing drive or something

A dollar a month or so sounds pretty reasonable though.

There are KeePass plugins that you can use to sync backed up to dropbox or google or whatever.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    So Lastpass hosts the stuff for me, but if they get hacked somehow, my master repository would be in trouble?

But 1password lets me put the master somewhere, but if my drive with that on it died, then I'm also in trouble?

I am confused and scared.

Shivahn wrote: »

The only totally free one is KeePass, which requires you to manage the cloud side of it if wanted. This is the kind of thing you should probably pay for considering they have all your passwords.

Lastpass is $1/mo. I don't know what 1Password costs these days, but they don't charge you again until the next major version.

Keepass sounds nice unless my database gets lost due to a failing drive or something

There are KeePass plugins that you can use to sync backed up to dropbox or google or whatever.

That sort of defeats the purpose though right? Other than the free part?

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Hello, [chat]

This is important information to consider:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfxUt9UM0nc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkOK8tdEsFY

• YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Hello, [chat]

This is important information to consider:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfxUt9UM0nc

This changes EVERYTHING

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    "TL DR" this motherfucker found a bakery in columbus ohio with pretty white girls and he's speaking macedonian at them oh my lord how diverse is this city

I have no idea but it does everything better than Cincinnati except hills and beer

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    geth always makes me the chat when i get called by a customer to do some shit

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    This goat has much honor.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I would prefer if they were called The Brogue and they were just kind of dirty Irish cyborgs who constantly assimilate into your culture

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I'm a Kardashian!

I am Maggie Kiri, a Bawhorin, n you ocupeed my planet. I am hate you.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »

Seriously

Fuck you if you think just because I know computers to a level equivalent to being a surgeon I'm going to deal with a useless flab of whale shit bitching at me over my shoulder like

"WHY ISN'T IT FIXED YET I THOUGHT YOU WERE MR. COMPUTER"

that is fucking annoying

your (???)cousin did that when your POS went down at the golf course and I was all up my shit like "I dunno, I wasn't expecting to fix your POS systems today".

No this was my Mom and I was stopping by to double check something cause I'm nice.

instead I get harangued and told that if I break anything it's my fault.

Goddammit I'm furious at the moment. This isn't just fucking insulting to my own skills, that I built up over -years- of self taught shit but shit that I've proven time and again I'm fucking knowledgeable about AND KNOW WHAT I'M FUCKING TALKING ABOUT.

Like my Boss/Cousin knows that when I get a certain look that he should just back off. He's never regretted it yet.

Mom on the other hand assumes she fucking knows everything because she's called customer support like ten thousand times and jesus christ I cannot deal with this.

oh yeah I was just mentioning it

when you went to have the cigarette when everything was going to shit that day

he was like "is it fixed yet? What's wrong? Why don't you know what's wrong, aren't you a computer guy?"

I was like "lol I ain't here for this"

I can fix just about everything, a few things I'll usually wanna double check but the secret to getting productivity out of me is not badgering me about it.

My boss is good about that, he never really gives me shit and if he does he apologizes. I've seen him deal with getting shit from the upper levels and it's sort of a vicious circle in that it never ends and shit is never good enough for the corporate mongrels. Like he's just

it's the stresses of his particular business that stress him. It's almost never that I don't fix or set shit up fast enough for him.

Mom on the other hand is an example of someone with almost no experience tech wise and it comes back to haunt the people who need to deal with the tech stuff.

Like, imagine your boss at your work dealt with the issues like it was a personal home issue. That's my mom, it'll get her fired if she doesn't retire in the next couple of years.

Also, the fact that she gets to work until the retirement age is a -thing- between us too.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    it turns out elmenent brain was the real information boy all along and I, the borgue

just as i deduced

*shakes fist*

Queue and I, the borgue, will get you next time, information boy!!!

*rolls away in tungsten ball with seven eight nine*

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    "Moonlight. This is a movie about a gay black kid so if I try to make any joke about it I will be sent straight to Internet jail for life. Anyway, if you are a white dude looking for a way to publicly demonstrate precisely how woke you are, this is the movie for you."

I can't really disagree with it.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    James wrote: »
    Re: password managers.

I haven't used 1password, but I do know that LastPass is free, cross-platform, and AES-256 end-to-end encrypted. Even if they were hacked only an encrypted jumble would be leaked, and it would take the fastest supercomputers billions of years to brute-force said encrypted jumble.

Lastpass is only free if you don't change device class, which isn't super useful unless you don't use a smartphone.

I think they just rolled that into the free account features.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    So Lastpass hosts the stuff for me, but if they get hacked somehow, my master repository would be in trouble?

But 1password lets me put the master somewhere, but if my drive with that on it died, then I'm also in trouble?

I am confused and scared.

yes and yes

though with 1password it also has DropBox integration if you would rather store your encrypted password list there

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I didn't merge shit, stop blaming me for everything you animals

LISTEN UP

First person - you have 10 minutes to make a chat
    Second person - after the 10 minute mark, you have 10 minutes to make a chat

Everyone else chomping at the bit to make some sort of rogue chat, wait 20 minutes jesus christ it's not that long

This rule obviously doesn't apply to mods who can make a chat whenever they feel like it, of course

Finally: all Tom Brady chats will be locked immediately, don't even do it

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I have watched Trainspotting 2

I dunno if I can grokk the overarching themes or message just yet like in the first one but the individual characters and scenes are pretty neat

And the sequence in
    the Loyalist bar

was intensely hilarious to me for entirely local reasons.

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    This is lieutenant George

I can't really see anything Roger, am

Am I in the Jeff tube

George, hurry back to the Tri Litho wrap coar. I'll send Ensign Redshirt in after Information Boy.

Captain, put down Earl's Tea we have a situation.

Am in the Tri Latho wrap coat. It's feeling warm in here

I'm still blind

So It Goes wrote: »

LISTEN UP

Everyone else chomping at the bit to make some sort of rogue chat, wait 20 minutes jesus christ it's not that long

This rule obviously doesn't apply to mods who can make a chat whenever they feel like it, of course

This is fair and just.

Seriously that was the worst biblical analogy because he just said the opposite of what he thought he said

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    @y2jake215 holy christmas look at the damn menu

sExm2Tbl.png

WILL YOU DIE Y/N

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Captain! Ensign Redshirt has not reported in! How could I have foreseen this!

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

I wasn't with you until this part, but I whole-heartedly support this decision

edited February 2017

LISTEN UP

Yay hard and fast rules!

I might go with lastpass since it seems freeish and their site is claiming stuff is kept from them too?
    Your data is encrypted and decrypted at the device level. Data stored in your vault is kept secret, even from LastPass. Your master password, and the keys used to encrypt and decrypt data, are never sent to LastPass’ servers, and are never accessible by LastPass.

SniperGuy on
    So say we all

navgoose wrote: »
    Captain! Ensign Redshirt has not reported in! How could I have foreseen this!

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Shivahn wrote: »

That sort of defeats the purpose though right? Other than the free part?

No? I mean, if you're worried about people hacking the googles and getting your database then yes, but the main worries wrt not having password managers are reuse and such.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Seriously

Fuck you if you think just because I know computers to a level equivalent to being a surgeon I'm going to deal with a useless flab of whale shit bitching at me over my shoulder like

"WHY ISN'T IT FIXED YET I THOUGHT YOU WERE MR. COMPUTER"

that is fucking annoying

your (???)cousin did that when your POS went down at the golf course and I was all up my shit like "I dunno, I wasn't expecting to fix your POS systems today".

No this was my Mom and I was stopping by to double check something cause I'm nice.

instead I get harangued and told that if I break anything it's my fault.

Goddammit I'm furious at the moment. This isn't just fucking insulting to my own skills, that I built up over -years- of self taught shit but shit that I've proven time and again I'm fucking knowledgeable about AND KNOW WHAT I'M FUCKING TALKING ABOUT.

Like my Boss/Cousin knows that when I get a certain look that he should just back off. He's never regretted it yet.

Mom on the other hand assumes she fucking knows everything because she's called customer support like ten thousand times and jesus christ I cannot deal with this.

oh yeah I was just mentioning it

when you went to have the cigarette when everything was going to shit that day

he was like "is it fixed yet? What's wrong? Why don't you know what's wrong, aren't you a computer guy?"

I was like "lol I ain't here for this"

I can fix just about everything, a few things I'll usually wanna double check but the secret to getting productivity out of me is not badgering me about it.

My boss is good about that, he never really gives me shit and if he does he apologizes. I've seen him deal with getting shit from the upper levels and it's sort of a vicious circle in that it never ends and shit is never good enough for the corporate mongrels. Like he's just

it's the stresses of his particular business that stress him. It's almost never that I don't fix or set shit up fast enough for him.

Mom on the other hand is an example of someone with almost no experience tech wise and it comes back to haunt the people who need to deal with the tech stuff.

Like, imagine your boss at your work dealt with the issues like it was a personal home issue. That's my mom, it'll get her fired if she doesn't retire in the next couple of years.

Also, the fact that she gets to work until the retirement age is a -thing- between us too.

you know my boss?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Huckabee is such a fucking useless moron god I hate him

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

LISTEN UP

Yay hard and fast rules!

I might go with lastpass since it seems freeish and their site is claiming stuff is kept from them too?
    Your data is encrypted and decrypted at the device level. Data stored in your vault is kept secret, even from LastPass. Your master password, and the keys used to encrypt and decrypt data, are never sent to LastPass’ servers, and are never accessible by LastPass.

I use LastPass

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Re: password managers.

I haven't used 1password, but I do know that LastPass is free, cross-platform, and AES-256 end-to-end encrypted. Even if they were hacked only an encrypted jumble would be leaked, and it would take the fastest supercomputers billions of years to brute-force said encrypted jumble.

Lastpass is only free if you don't change device class, which isn't super useful unless you don't use a smartphone.

I think they just rolled that into the free account features.

https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=9342

They changed it so that the device class (phone, tablet, desktop) you start your account on is free. If you want to cross classes, you have to pay.

This discussion has been closed.