As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Freedom of the Press] Will Not Be Abridged

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Good for that guy, but god damn what a bunch of weak willed simps to sit there and let her berate you for doing your god damn job and only the guy from the titty magazine stands up.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Good for that guy, but god damn what a bunch of weak willed simps to sit there and let her berate you for doing your god damn job and only the guy from the titty magazine stands up.

There's a joke here that I'm feeling around for ...

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Like journalism in the trump era is equal parts "Woo we're amazing we keep him in check" to "shhh shh don't say anything maybe he'll leave us alone and pick on cartoonists."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    If only Helen Thomas were still here to save us all.

Edit: Also, fuck you "I've heard from countless members of the FBI" Huckabee-Sanders bitching about unnamed sources.

hippofant on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    If only Helen Thomas were still here to save us all.

Edit: Also, fuck you "I've heard from countless members of the FBI" Huckabee-Sanders bitching about unnamed sources.
    I hope that was an ironic invocation of Helen Thomas because she's an antisemitic piece of shit.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

There's a joke here that I'm feeling around for ...

It's the dickhead that stands out in a room full of boobs?

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Nobody on his staff tells him anything.

If the Downfall memes weren't so played out, Trump would get so many of them.

honovere on
  • Options
    Waaagh!Waaagh! Registered User regular
    Which article was originally referred to?

• Options
    Waaagh! wrote: »
    Which article was originally referred to?

This one

On Senate Health Bill, Trump Falters in the Closer’s Role

A senator who supports the bill left the meeting at the White House with a sense that the president did not have a grasp of some basic elements of the Senate plan — and seemed especially confused when a moderate Republican complained that opponents of the bill would cast it as a massive tax break for the wealthy, according to an aide who received a detailed readout of the exchange.

Mr. Trump said he planned to tackle tax reform later, ignoring the repeal’s tax implications, the staff member added.

• Options
    Another attack, I don't know what this is about

But big news if he's supporting an Internet sales tax. Amazon does already collect use tax in many places though, which is basically the same thing.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    That sentence doesn't even make a modicum of sense.

Not paying internet taxes = "fake news"? In the conventional understanding of English (ie, not Trump's), that translates as they do pay internet taxes.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I think ... And it kinda hurts to admit this ... But I think he's actually saying is ...

The Washington Post is FAKE NEWS, and the newspaper is acting in some way to shield Amazon from paying internet taxes even though they should.

So, to edit more directly ...

The #AmazonWashingtonPost, sometimes referred to as "the guardian of Amazon not paying internet taxes" (which they should), is FAKE NEWS!

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Well I guess it's too much to hope that the President could get through a single sentence without sounding like a four year old.

No one could have ever expected sentence structure to be so complicated, after all.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    That sentence doesn't even make a modicum of sense.

Not paying internet taxes = "fake news"? In the conventional understanding of English (ie, not Trump's), that translates as they do pay internet taxes.

It's worded terribly, I had to read it a few times to understand what he meant because it seemed at first read that he was saying that reports of them not paying taxes was fake.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Well I guess it's too much to hope that the President could get through a single sentence without sounding like a four year old.

No one could have ever expected sentence structure to be so complicated, after all.

Eisenhower could have some jacked up syntax and liked going off on tangents, but he was purposefully obfuscating so he could deflect blame on his advisers if his policies went tits-up. It was a sign of intelligence and forethought, not stupidity.

I'll have to find the actual passage in his papers, but during the Formosan Strait clusterfuck in 1955, he told his press secretary that if the subject of using nukes on China came up: "Don't worry Jim, if that question comes up, I'll just confuse them."

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    At least Eisenhower was being direct by saying "Fuck it, confuse them."

That amount of honesty would be completely welcome from Trump's/his administration's mouth after almost half a year of raw sewage spewing out of their gobs.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    What story did the Post put up, by the way.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    What story did the Post put up, by the way.

I don't even know!

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It's either Manafort, the fake Time cover, or the fact the Republican Senators don't care about what he says

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    It's either Manafort, the fake Time cover, or the fact the Republican Senators don't care about what he says

From what I've been seeing on twitter this morning it's a combination of Time & Senators. My guess is that Trump consider these sorts of articles as "leaks" and isn't happy the public got an eyeful of the goings on of the office.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I don't think it matters right now. CNN fucked up so all media is fake. He's just at GOTO 10 right now.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I'm not confused. There's nothing to parse.

• Options
    Waaagh!Waaagh! Registered User regular
    He's talking about Wonder Woman, guardian of the amazons, and how the movie didn't pass the strict requirements this administration has for a source.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    He's not calling for an internet sales tax he's ignorantly whining about Amazon not charging your local sales tax should you have one, to your purchases.

Which they stopped doing, so he's doubly wrong.

Viskod on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Like this mother fucker should be saying anything about fuckin taxes

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Trump, of all people, having the gall to bitch about not paying taxes.

God.

God.

Damn him!

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Amazon/the Post are owned by Bezos, an actual billionaire with a company more successful and more influential then Trump could even dream of. Rub that tweet on a mood ring and it'd be greener than the hulk from envy.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    The WaPo seems to be enjoying themselves;

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I would gladly frame the "Russian Bride of the Year" cover.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    Amazon/the Post are owned by Bezos, an actual billionaire with a company more successful and more influential then Trump could even dream of. Rub that tweet on a mood ring and it'd be greener than the hulk from envy.

Amazon employs about 5 times the number of Americans than the entire us coal industry (350k vs 70k). It hired more people in the last 18 months (110k) than work in the entire us coal industry.

Methinks you are backing the wrong horse Trump. Or perhaps even more absurdly, you may be backing a greyhound in a 5 furlong horse race.

I just don't understand though. There are so many big billionaires who are at least socially liberal. Where is out gigantic funding stream for candidates etc. I guess the issue is that our billionaires are socially liberal, but believe themselves unique titans of perfection, so they try and institute change alone (Gates foundation, Facebook and schools) rather than working inside the government.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    George Soros is the big liberal funding name and he gets pilloried constantly by the right-wing as the big eeeeeevil puppetmaster of the left. Though admittedly, a lot of that is probably also because he's Jewish. All conspiracy theories inevitably involve Antisemitism.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    George Soros is the big liberal funding name and he gets pilloried constantly by the right-wing as the big eeeeeevil puppetmaster of the left. Though admittedly, a lot of that is probably also because he's Jewish. All conspiracy theories inevitably involve Antisemitism.

Yeah, but why should he care about that? Why should any of them care what people who hate them think? The Koch brothers don't exactly get a lot of good press in my circles and they aren't slowing down?

I guess it's just a lot easier to break things than fix them. Even for billionaires.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Maybe liberal billionaires are not as eager to blatantly bribe politicians?
    Or the socially liberal billionaires also like lower taxes?
    Maybe they are just not that into politics?
    Or the disdain for big money from certain parts of the left puts them off?
    Maybe they don't trust democrats ability to create change anymore than the fringe left does?
    Or they are not as desperate for government to protect their dying industries or keep them out of jail?

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Soros doesn't care what people say because he survived Nazi occupation and has experienced when nations go bad and doesn't want that happening again. I wonder if liberal billionaires though aren't as willing to let their names get slandered or get their hands dirty; Warren Buffett for instance has poured hundreds of millions of dollars into contraceptive research and family planning promotion but hasn't been vocal about it.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Back to discussing freedom of the press, please.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    More trashing from the President, with personal insults

This is getting really weird.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Somebody please ask Trump what his favorite news spot is now that Morning Joe has fallen from grace, we need to get the catheter cowboy in the right time slot

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Somebody please ask Trump what his favorite news spot is now that Morning Joe has fallen from grace, we need to get the catheter cowboy in the right time slot

I think it's Fox and Friends

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    He probably tapes Morning Joe.

This discussion has been closed.