As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Horizon Zero Dawn] Out now on PC and PS4!

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I know this is a fresh hot take but this game looks real nice, even on an OG ps4.

When stuff says valuable to merchants but nothing else is that just selling fodder? Don't want to get rid of anything that might be useful later.

There will be a special place in hell for someone at Guerrilla if there is another use for items that only say "Sell to merchants".

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I know this is a fresh hot take but this game looks real nice, even on an OG ps4.

When stuff says valuable to merchants but nothing else is that just selling fodder? Don't want to get rid of anything that might be useful later.

So far the game has never led me wrong in regards to the 'what it's used for' list.

Bear in mind that lots of machine parts can either be sold for metal pieces, OR as part of a barter for certain equipment, ie (this outfit requires 1000 metal pieces plus a sawtooth heart, or something. The only resources I've found that are strictly for selling are most old world junk, and tribal jewelry pieces

Javen on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I am at work right now and not able to look at the settings menu. Is there a way to turn off the controller speaker sound effects? Going in and out of scan mode gets annoying with the little beedle-boop on the controller.

Not in game but there is on a system level.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

So far the game has never led me wrong in regards to the 'what it's used for' list.

Bear in mind that lots of machine parts can either be sold for metal pieces, OR as part of a barter for certain equipment, ie (this outfit requires 1000 metal pieces plus a sawtooth heart, or something. The only resources I've found that are strictly for selling are most old world junk, and tribal jewelry pieces

All items will say if there use is only selling for shards or also if used for trading, which is the bartering for items, basically gating off rarer items

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Oh I totally didn't see that list for some reason. That's super useful and now I'm going to be annoyed when other games don't have it.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    SeGaTai wrote: »

All items will say if there use is only selling for shards or also if used for trading, which is the bartering for items, basically gating off rarer items

Yeah but it's a bit different since an items tooltip might say something like "valuable to a merchant" when that can mean either it's valuable to be sold for metal or valuable to be used for barter, so unless someone sees that list, could end up accidentally selling something that they might need later for barter.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I'm sitting at work and I just can't stop thinking about how awesome the "hunting" feels - both the prep work and the frenetic shit-hits-the-fan stuff. Some thoughts on early fights (up to and through the first village):
    1. They did such an awesome job with the pre-village, nighttime "final lesson" with Rost. They set the stage with this intimidating walk-through-the-carnage setup, and then when you start on the cliff and can sort of scout the area, set a couple of traps, scan and watch the Sawtooth as it slowly prowls... it's riveting. Just... crouching on the plateau, biding your time, waiting. "I have laid my traps. Let's dance."
    2. On the other end of the spectrum, the post-Proving fight with the "Demon" (the one that takes control of those other 'bots), in an enclosed space, is completely off the walls and had me on the very edge of my seat. Rolling, going for canisters, moving in for a couple of quick hits when I could, cutting up the smaller minions... I can't wait until I have more tools to use, because it's going to get wild.
    3. Oh, one last thing... when I first got my trap-caster-gun-whatever, I quietly approached a group of Watchers, laid my wire, and then aggro'd them. I stood close to the wire to ensure that they'd come right at me and run through - but because I was so close, the Watcher in front actually lunged OVER the wire while launching its first attack and I had to dive out of the way at the last second. SHIT IS THRILLING.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    Finally died to something on very hard: triple fire bellows.

I did eventually manage to beat them with ice slingshots followed up with heavy melee/criticals, though I wonder if destroying components instead might have used up less resources overall.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular

If it says "Trade with Merchants" it is a currency for something. If it just says "Sell to merchs for shards" or whatever, that is fodder.

Usually the blue colored resources are also currency items used in exchange with shards to buy weapons/outfits/etc.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I might be Horizon-ing wrong. The combat feels a bit off to me. Basically I'm pretty good with the bow, and I can hit the weak spot no problem, but if there are more than a few bots for me to kill with the bow, they get into range it boils down to me flailing my staff around until its dead or im dead. am i missing some of the finess of the spear here? theres light and heavy attacks and thats it...it just feels like a last resort weapon, not something i can really depend on a straight up fight.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    ... so I put the first two modification items I found into my bow, thinking "hey they are crappy if it doesnt let me remove, it will probably let me destroy and replace" Within 15 minutes I found like 8 more that were at least double in power. I go to do anything "oh you need a skill to do that" I check the tree... its at the fucking end of 4 nodes. So like 10+ levels to be able to switch out modifications? Why not warn me before making a permanent choice so early on with common items?

You are kidding, right? Do I eventually just get new bows of the exact same type with empty slots again? Because this is fucking rediculous if not.

You can overwrite old mods with new ones, Tinkering (the skill) is just required to unsocket them so you don't lose your rare ones.

There are many different bows in the game, you'll be going through a few.

I was like okay I am nearly positive I overwrote a 6% damage coil with a 21% damage coil. I believe you are correct the skill is so you can unsocket existing ones otherwise you can just overwrite whatever mod is currently in there you just lose that mod without the skill.

• Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    I might be Horizon-ing wrong. The combat feels a bit off to me. Basically I'm pretty good with the bow, and I can hit the weak spot no problem, but if there are more than a few bots for me to kill with the bow, they get into range it boils down to me flailing my staff around until its dead or im dead. am i missing some of the finess of the spear here? theres light and heavy attacks and thats it...it just feels like a last resort weapon, not something i can really depend on a straight up fight.

Not having any type of lock-on is definitely a learning curve.

And to a large extent, the spear IS a last resort weapon, except when you're deep in stealth. These are giant machines, and you're a frail meatsack. What they seemed to be going for is that going up against more than one machine SHOULD feel very frantic, and that prep work whenever possible is king, whether that's setting up traps, or having the correct kind of damage for every situation.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Fighting robots is about using a wide range of tools. You gotta come prepared and setup traps, use the slingshots, etc.

Remember that each PART of the robot is uniquely weak to something other than the body of the robot itself. When you're using the Focus, hover over the individual yellow weak spots and you'll see the breakdown of the robot and what that particular spot is weak to.

Elements, traps, and ropes = control of the fight and highest damage. These fights aren't designed to be over in 10 seconds.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I haven't made it out of the first post-tutorial section yet. Like, one sidequest, and one step on the main quest, but that's it. I turned off the waypoint markers because it really is far more enjoyable to organically travel the way I want to from A to B.

And seriously, this photo mode? Way too much fun.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I just gotta say, Aloy, the way you rappel from places is crazy dangerous. Put the rope down first don't just jump out there and hope you find a hook on the way down geez

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

I think if it says "sell for metal shards" but nothing else, that's fodder? Otherwise, something could be used for trade.

I just finished
    the Proving

and I'm at about level 9ish? Does that seem on track? I did as many side things as I could beforehand.

Ceno on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Has anyone hit a point of no return in the story that would make me miss being able to do one of these missed ruins or quests?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I think there's no lock on because even though this game has a talent tree and is an RPG-lite, it has a lot more in common with Tomb Raider and Far Cry than it does with traditional RPGs. The bow mechanics are basically skill-based shooter mechanics.

Just look at the pedigree of this game. It is made by a company who has produced some top tier shooters for the last 15+ years.

top tier is maybe slightly high praise for killzone... lol

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Has anyone hit a point of no return in the story that would make me miss being able to do one of these missed ruins or quests?

I've yet to confirm this myself, but
    Supposedly after the Proving, when you wake up inside the mountain, there's a power cell you can pick up, with the other one being in a section of the ruins that you fell into as a kid and can now revisit. These power cells unlock a door elsewhere in some other ruins that contains some really nice armor. I found the power cell in the starting ruins (that you can go back to anytime) but the mountain becomes inaccessible once you leave

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular

Supposedly after the Proving, when you wake up inside the mountain, there's a power cell you can pick up, with the other one being in a section of the ruins that you fell into as a kid and can now revisit. These power cells unlock a door elsewhere in some other ruins that contains some really nice armor. I found the power cell in the starting ruins (that you can go back to anytime) but the mountain becomes inaccessible once you leave

Quick question about that
    How'd you figure out you had to melee the rock formation? Does anything else in the game show that you can do that, or did you just try it randomly?

Because I was running around in there forever until I got frustrated enough to look it up.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    SeGaTai wrote: »

Yeah but it's a bit different since an items tooltip might say something like "valuable to a merchant" when that can mean either it's valuable to be sold for metal or valuable to be used for barter, so unless someone sees that list, could end up accidentally selling something that they might need later for barter.

They are separate. One says trading the other sell for shards.
    metaghost wrote: »
    In case anyone is as foolish as me, I strongly recommend NOT buying any of the collectibles maps, with possible exception of Vantage Points (as they have connected narrative information).

I bought them all. As they are used for what I will imagine are armor or weapon sets, there's no fucking way I'm hunting that shit down on my own since a lot of them are pretty well hidden. They maybe shouldn't have given them ALL to you at once, but I'm ok with at least having them visible (and some of them are little puzzles in and of themselves to figure out where they are).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Also real animals don't shoot lasers or rockets or hover or lay traps. ;)

At least.... none at my Zoo ever did. Maybe I have a bad Zoo.

then why make the machines behave like animals? just make them machines.

I'm still hoping all the animals were roboticized, the end boss is Dr. Robotnik, and Horizon is the grittiest Sonic reboot ever... so gritty that Sonic is dead.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Noggin wrote: »

How'd you figure out you had to melee the rock formation? Does anything else in the game show that you can do that, or did you just try it randomly?

Because I was running around in there forever until I got frustrated enough to look it up.

It was just basic troubleshooting, there was no prompt or anything.

Javen on
  • Options
    OctavianOctavian Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    I just gotta say, Aloy, the way you rappel from places is crazy dangerous. Put the rope down first don't just jump out there and hope you find a hook on the way down geez

This just seems crazier the more often you do it. I secretly hope there's a story reason for this. Like she did this once as a kid, Rost nearly had a heart attack, but she acted like she meant to do it.

New proposed thread title: Crazy Dangerous Rappel Techniques

Also, I am really digging the amount of female story characters. Such good variety of quest givers early on.

Alternate thread title: HERizon: Zero Dongs

PSN: TitusPullo13
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Octavian wrote: »
    Frei wrote: »

This just seems crazier the more often you do it. I secretly hope there's a story reason for this. Like she did this once as a kid, Rost nearly had a heart attack, but she acted like she meant to do it.

New proposed thread title: Crazy Dangerous Rappel Techniques

Also, I am really digging the amount of female story characters. Such good variety of quest givers early on.

Frankly the way she scales stuff is just as crazy. I gave up on it making sense on the first wall and just flung the analog stick around hitting the jump button until she got the top. She made at least 2 seperate 25 foot leaps from arm holds during that climb and never grabbed the outcrops I thought she would be reaching for after like the first two.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    It may be crazy, but it's pretty fun to watch. It feels good, too.

• Options

Blah. Maybe I was too tired to think of it, or too spoiled coming off of Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Was a really disappointing note to end my night on.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    In case anyone is as foolish as me, I strongly recommend NOT buying any of the collectibles maps, with possible exception of Vantage Points (as they have connected narrative information).

But I already did / this goes against every thing I have ever learned.

There is a prompt, but only on one of them, not on both.

• Options
    Qanamil wrote: »

But I already did / this goes against every thing I have ever learned.

There is a prompt, but only on one of them, not on both.

Ahh, maybe I did then out of order or something then. I do remember her saying something like 'maybe I can get over there now!' But nothing regarding how

• Options
    Yeah, that's the extent of the prompt (so still not that great), but she also only does it at one of them which is... annoying.

• Options
    Ya, when I heard it I had the camera turned to look in another direction so I thought she was just speaking in general and not in reference to any particular thing.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Urg. I think that I just finished that section before I went to sleep last night, and I was in a hurry to get through, and missed it. Hopefully I have a save from earlier.

If not, the early game was fun, and I suppose that I can do it again.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options

You'll go back. Not immediately, but you can't get what they unlock anyway at this point so it's not really that much of a hassle.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

OK, here's a weird question:
    Can Aloy read? The game seems to be making a point of showing her scanner identifying things, most notably "bow," and it seemed to be leading towards the idea that she has used or is using the scanner to learn to read.

Also, how many other people in the world can read?

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Not sure why that is in a spoiler. And I'm sure she can "read." I doubt she can read English, but she can read signposts in her language.

• Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I love Ashley Burch's voice acting but I can't unhear Chloe from Life is Strange.

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    I laughed my ass off at this.
    Ravelle wrote: »
    I love Ashley Burch's voice acting but I can't unhear Chloe from Life is Strange.
    I had heard (from review podcasts) that Aloy is kind of just a total cipher and nothing special as a character, but I'm actually loving her voice acting. It's great. Pleasantly surprised.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    I laughed my ass off at this.
    Ravelle wrote: »
    I had heard (from review podcasts) that Aloy is kind of just a total cipher and nothing special as a character, but I'm actually loving her voice acting. It's great. Pleasantly surprised.

She feels like a cipher in the sense that she doesn't really give a shit about tribal religion or the goddess or whatever, and really neither does the player, but the story absolutely gives her a logical reason for not giving a shit.

• Options
    Yeah, that's crazy to me. The facial animations and voice action really really sell Aloy to me as an actual person.

• Options
    One thing I'm noticing about the facial expressions
    They don't change for anyone but Aloy, but that doesn't mean that they're the same. And they manage to nail the tone of the speaker pretty well. An interesting way to handle it that I haven't seen.

This discussion has been closed.