As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Horizon Zero Dawn] Out now on PC and PS4!

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    n8cj2899di7i.png

Hmmm... This doesn't seem right...

Most odd. Here's mine:

ghoqkc17meus.jpg

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    klemming wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    edit: Sleight of Crate (Spurflints Hunting Grounds) is absolutely bullshit though. Four attempts and no better than a half-sun, and no clear way I should be doing this better/faster, unlike the other trials where it was clear what I had to be doing differently when I failed.

That's the loot the crates one, right? I just sprinted from one pile to another with maxed out stealth armour. By the time they alert to you, you're already outta there.

There's one lootable crate, the other 3 I need to shoot off shellwalkers. There are two shellwalkers by that one lootable crate, then I need to somehow run to the other set of shellwalkers while everything around me is alerted and trying to tear my face off, which has probably caused the other shellwalker convoy to be looking towards me so I can't even blast off their crates and loot the final one. I keep coming in around 2 minutes.

They patched it so you couldn't just loot at one location. They may have also reduced the timer. You've got like 1:05 for a blazing sun, 1:30 for a sun, and for the consolation prize you have 20 minutes. Quite a bit of a cliff there.

Orca on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Patch showed 0 bytes for me as well. Steam seemed to install it though.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edit: Sleight of Crate (Spurflints Hunting Grounds) is absolutely bullshit though. Four attempts and no better than a half-sun, and no clear way I should be doing this better/faster, unlike the other trials where it was clear what I had to be doing differently when I failed.

That's the loot the crates one, right? I just sprinted from one pile to another with maxed out stealth armour. By the time they alert to you, you're already outta there.

I think that was the one I was having the toughest time with, looked up a video about it, but the video was for ultra hard mode and made it look real easy or maybe it was for an earlier patch or something, but when I did it on regular, it seemed significantly different and the strategy on the video didn't work and I ended just getting lucky on one run and got the blazing sun, So I'm looking forward to doing it again on my ultra hard run. So far, the first three trials have been pretty easy and straightforward despite the ultra hard. Only had a little difficulty on the Tie-down trial with the glinthawks, but I had difficulty the first time around simply because they move so much or they're always just a hair outside of the range of the ropecaster.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    New patch and new Nvidia drivers and it feels like its running noticeably better already. Anyone else's experience?

Edit: unknown if better max fps but way better consistency

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    New patch but i didn’t realize there were new drivers. I’ll have to give that a shot.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Still getting framey when I look in the direction of a Thunderjaw or Stormbird but otherwise running fine for me, no real changes.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    I just hope it doesn't reset all of my difficult & graphics settings to default. Again.

I clearly tempted fate as, instead of resetting my settings again, it instead decided to redo the reticulating splines procedure :rotate:

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I just hope it doesn't reset all of my difficult & graphics settings to default. Again.

I clearly tempted fate as, instead of resetting my settings again, it instead decided to redo the reticulating splines procedure :rotate:

Doesn't mean it won't do both.

• Options
    The new nVidia drivers seem to have significantly reduced or eliminated the crashes I was seeing. Haven't had a crash yet tonight.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    So its good now?

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    So its good now?

For the most part. I'm getting choppier performance in some areas of the map than before, though the benchmark is showing similar performance from what I can recall. Things are certainly trending in the right direction anyway.

• Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Summer Games Done Quick had a "TFW NG+ Ultra Hard" run scheduled to take 55 minutes. FYI

[edit] link

Commodore75 on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I started my fresh start Ultra Hard run today and this sure is immersive.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    After the first cauldron that one of the Nora tells you about, are the rest tied to quests or is it okay to just do them as I find them on the map?

I'm always concerned about sequence-breaking shit in open-world games...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    You will run into them along the way and that’s fine.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    You also can do as few or as many as you like. I did them all because i wanted the overrides.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Cool. Just didn't want to go do one and then later have a quest break because of it. I went off the beaten path at one point in the Carja lands and Aloy started making comments that suggested it was a quest location (and it later turned out to be), so I backed off that place too.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    The game is pretty good about that stuff. I wouldn't worry about breaking anything. Just go have fun.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    The game is pretty good about that stuff. I wouldn't worry about breaking anything. Just go have fun.

Yeah the devs are doing that just fine on their own.

Heyyoh!

• Options
    Tch-ching! That's why I'm just doing this playthrough on PS4. I mean I bought Frozen anyway no need to throw money at a bad faith effort.

• Options
    Soooo much prettier on PC though. For the improved graphics (and kbam controls) I'm willing to deal with crashing once every 10-12 hours or so. :razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Not interested in kbam controls for this game.

Resistances on Ultra Hard are no joke.
    Leaving Embrance spoilers
    You know corruptor? Supposed to be weak to fire? First one you fight?
    I pumped that thing full of fire arrows without stopping and it did not overheat. I had to make more fire arrows and by the time I had them crafted almost all of its buildup was gone.

"weak to fire"

Resistances a little harsh lads!

Oh well it's dead anyway.

Proving sequence up till you get set free of the embrace wasn't as awful as I expected it to be. First time I played this game I never used the jumping slow mo. But I've been practising it while hunting in the embrace this time and I got quite a few jumping headshots against the bad guys that attack at the proving.

The Corruptor fight was a real cluster fuck tho. I still remember how to play this game, but it was so hard it felt like my very first time playing that fight on Hard all over again. Died once, came back, and managed to beat it with zero health or health boost options left (I was full) and no medicine left at all. It eventually just keeled over when I was still trying to overheat it with fire arrows.

Onward!

Morninglord on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I feel like freeze is the way to go with those guys, but that's on normal so ???.

Finally got a TV that's capable of HDR, so I'm replaying this (despite having like 3 other brand new games waiting on the shelf). I thought about getting the PC version but going to pass for now. Partially because of all the performance stuff, and partially because I just moved into a new house and haven't gotten around to setting my PC/office up yet!

Anyway yeah, game is just as amazing as I remember. Looks incredible on the new TV, looking forward to seeing the PC version on it one day down the road.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    I've fought 3 Frostclaws at once now and...I'm not seeing what's so bad about them? But this is on normal, so maybe everyone is being a crazy person and doing this on UH. In which case why would you do that to yourself.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    In the NW of the map (two campfires SE of the Sun Furrows Hunting Ground) there is a small homestead with a lot of dead machines in it.

Go there, you won't regret it. :D Though it is a bit of an Acquired Taste...

edit: also the new nVidia drivers plus new version of HZD seem to have done a good job of stomping the crashes. Every so often I see the lighting flicker--I'm guessing a few days ago that would have been a crash. I can live with a 1 frame graphical glitch once an hour.

Orca on
  • Options
    I think the cable connecting my second monitor to the computer has gone bad, so while I wait for a replacement i'll see if only having to render one display makes my graphics card like the game any more. Now that i've gotten to Meridian I am definitely noticing some framerate stuff in places. Mostly not a big deal except in combat where it makes my aim go off.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I've fought 3 Frostclaws at once now and...I'm not seeing what's so bad about them? But this is on normal, so maybe everyone is being a crazy person and doing this on UH. In which case why would you do that to yourself.

Oddly enough I find Daemonic Frostclaws on Ultra Hard to be...not nearly as bad as I expected.

Scorchers are 100x more difficult.

I think it has to do with the movement profile differences. A scorcher, even while Ropecast, will still lunge and charge you. A Frostclaw, meanwhile, sort of lumbers around or just stands in place trying to stand up, giving me plenty of room to pepper it with arrows.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I feel like the new enemies in TFW are specially timed to stand still nearly long enough for you to fully charge the new Banuk bows, then move just as you let your triple-charged arrows go so they hit a piece of armor instead of a weak point.
    Or maybe it's just me.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    I feel like the new enemies in TFW are specially timed to stand still nearly long enough for you to fully charge the new Banuk bows, then move just as you let your triple-charged arrows go so they hit a piece of armor instead of a weak point.
    Or maybe it's just me.

Bonus points if you've Tearblasted off a significant amount of armour plates only to have your arrows find that one last piece still attached.

Characters
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    The new Banuk bows look sweet, but the extra charge time only works for me out of ambush. I barely can stand the regular sharp shit bow lag as it is.

Edi: I’m going to leave that typo since it’s the inverse of the usual autocorrect crap.

Orca on
  • Options
    The extra charge was a bit of a "wait what" moment since I kind of figured that the Handling numbers actually would show something useful.

But no, even though the non-Banuk variant and Banuk variant of the same bow each has the same Handling number, the Banuk bow takes longer to fully charge.

Characters
  • Options
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options

My first experience of Frozen Wilds will be this new game ultra hard run and if I am not screaming devil epithets like something out of the exorcist while tears stream down my face I'm going to be extremely disappointed.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed getting to that one pigment on the very top of a super tall mountain.

That is all.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I don't care if it'll be decried as blatantly stealing from BotW, I want Aloy to have a glider in the next game. Or a wingsuit, or something. Look, I just want to jump off high places.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I don't care if it'll be decried as blatantly stealing from BotW, I want Aloy to have a glider in the next game. Or a wingsuit, or something. Look, I just want to jump off high places.

Girlfriend Reviews agrees with you, they specifically requested that they turn Aloy's spear into the Avatar's gliderstaff

• Options
    edited August 2020
    VoodooV wrote: »

Girlfriend Reviews agrees with you, they specifically requested that they turn Aloy's spear into the Avatar's gliderstaff

I'm ok with this if it lets me glide above a flying machine jump off and death from above silent strike it, sending us both crashing to the ground in a titanic explosion of parts which Aloy strides out of with light feet.

Cos if not what is even the point of that?

Also let me ride a sawtooth damn you.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Ride my own robot tiger? Fuck yes, I will happily be a more deadly She-Ra.

• Options
    It's a shame that strike from above doesn't get rid of fall damage.

This discussion has been closed.