As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Horizon Zero Dawn] Out now on PC and PS4!

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Something I hope they add in Forbidden West is a way to pass time. Like go to a campfire and have another option that brings up ‘Rest until Morning/Noon/Night’.

I love exploring in the daylight because the game looks so amazing but then nighttime hits and I usually find myself just milling around waiting for dawn.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I hope they don't have that since the diurnal cycle is part of what makes it interesting. And it's short enough you'll regularly experience it.

And sunsets and sunrises look gorgeous.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Does the enemy AI change at night? I haven’t noticed much difference aside from being harder to see what I’m doing.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Does the enemy AI change at night? I haven’t noticed much difference aside from being harder to see what I’m doing.

Nah, enemy AI is the same. The environment feels different though, and I appreciate the variety.

• Options
    Fighting Stalkers at night for example is an adventure.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    One thing to remember is that running away is almost always an option

And even if you die there’s not really a penalty for it other than the time and gear you spent since the last save

Except for those Stormbirds. Or as was properly described as “cunting flying motherfuckers”

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    You can run away from them it just takes longer.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    It's not just equipment that boosts your power, it's skills. Getting things like triple nock, time slow in mid air (which also works when you jump), fast reload, and adrenaline time/recharge make you a bow monster. Combined with epic equipment (which actually unlocks pretty early if you're willing to farm the metal), you are a machine gun of arrows.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I think my problem with the T-Rex is that it's weapon is surprisingly effective against it.

So if you break it off as soon as the fight starts you basically demolish it.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Takes 4 tear blast arrows on ultrahard not one to remove those guns. And they wont die from it as easily cos they busy attacking you and making you dodge. Slightly trickier. Freeze and triple nock sniper arrows to the heart is the big kill strat.

And ropecaster. All the ropes. Any robo fight. Anything. Problem? Ropecaster. Solved game.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I made it through the entire game mostly without touching the ropecaster, until I got to the final fight in the Frozen Wilds DLC. There is an enemy that just will not fuck off, and after a couple of hard fought battles/deaths I decided to give it a try.

It was a game changer, and I appreciated its use from there on out.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Takes 4 tear blast arrows on ultrahard not one to remove those guns. And they wont die from it as easily cos they busy attacking you and making you dodge. Slightly trickier. Freeze and triple nock sniper arrows to the heart is the big kill strat.

And ropecaster. All the ropes. Any robo fight. Anything. Problem? Ropecaster. Solved game.

Oh I was just thinking back to when I was playing the game. This was before ultrahard was a thing.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    It's not just equipment that boosts your power, it's skills. Getting things like triple nock, time slow in mid air (which also works when you jump), fast reload, and adrenaline time/recharge make you a bow monster. Combined with epic equipment (which actually unlocks pretty early if you're willing to farm the metal), you are a machine gun of arrows.

Only problem with being a machinegunner arrow turret is that you'll run out of arrows very quick while something like a slingshot hit, tripcaster, or traps can several volleys worth of arrow damage in 1 shot. Especially at the higher difficulty levels.

The slingshot is under rated as hell. Just insane elemental damage.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Like trex strategy?

Ropecast, tear off 1 gun. Rope cast, use gun. Rope cast, tear off second gun, ropecast, use gun. May or may not be dead in which case you can then apply the second strategy which doesn't need any gun usage.

Second strategy.

Rope cast, freeze, quick single tear blast on the heart armor. Rope cast, triple nock sniper shot to the heart while frozen. If not dead, repeat.

Combine with gun strategy for flavor. Eg coupe de grace with heart shot after using guns, or freeze before picking up gun, etc.

Uses a lot of ropes but it ain't doing shit to you while this is happening.

Mod your ropecaster with handling and nothing else. Nothing else does anything. Tear, for example, actually increases the rate at which the rope rips off pieces. To tear off pieces, the ropes snap earlier. That's bad. Only handling! Put your best handling mods on the ropecaster! The faster you hit em with those ropes the faster they get stunned, the less time they have to fuck you.

If you are in a sticky situation and its hard to rope an enemy up fully, you can run away from it and it will reach the end of the tether of its current ropes and get brought to a halt. Then you can rope it again while it lurches.

Incidentally strategy for all humans in open combat: blast sling. That is all.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Yeah, but crafting more ammo takes half a second in game terms.
    Did anyone actually run out of crafting materials in a fight? I think by the time I left the sacred lands I was pretty much good for everything I needed.
    (though I admittedly prioritised all the inventory expansions and looting skills ASAP because I'm a hoarder by nature. Make sure you can get as much stuff from the things you kill first, then get the skills that make it easier to kill things)

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    The only issue with the rope caster is the biggest one you gotta use against the bigger guys like the trex costs an absolute fuck ton of wire and you can't just buy that enmass on ultra hard cos it costs so much. So what I would do is only whip out the huge mccheeze roperbuddy when I needed to fight something that has to be roped right now. I used the next one down for most smaller enemies, cos it did just as well but was much more wire efficient.

So when I say uses a lot of ropes what I really mean is it uses a ton of wire. That statement will hit harder if you are playing ultra hard.

That's the other thing I liked about the difficulty. Sometimes I hunted certain creatures cos they dropped a lot of wire, and I swapped to weapons that did not use much wire to kill them, or were more efficient in wire cost. Like slings or the basic bow instead of the sniper bow etc. Forced me to mix it up and use survival strategies. I had to actually hunt things intelligently and actively. It felt like something Aloy would be doing as she navigates the world.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The PC version also made me use more tools because the mouse aiming meant that I could actually aim the stuff to make best use of it. Instead of just doing explosive slingshot + sharpshot bow for the entire game like I did on PS4.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Did anyone actually run out of crafting materials in a fight? I think by the time I left the sacred lands I was pretty much good for everything I needed.
    (though I admittedly prioritised all the inventory expansions and looting skills ASAP because I'm a hoarder by nature. Make sure you can get as much stuff from the things you kill first, then get the skills that make it easier to kill things)

I legit forgot that the lootboxes you get from various quests were a thing for maybe 2/3 or more of the game. One time I was actually kind of running out of resources, I remembered them, ducked into that avalanche of lootboxes, and never ran out of anything ever again. I went from "boy, I better buy a pile of wire, and maybe some stuff for fire arrows" to "unless it's one of a very limited list of things, I will never need anything ever again."

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »

On normal, nope.

On the higher difficulties, if I just spammed arrows I’d usually run out of metal pieces and wood fairly quickly unless I was constantly hoarding everything. Especially v hard.

• Options

Only problem with being a machinegunner arrow turret is that you'll run out of arrows very quick while something like a slingshot hit, tripcaster, or traps can several volleys worth of arrow damage in 1 shot. Especially at the higher difficulty levels.

The slingshot is under rated as hell. Just insane elemental damage.

You're not wrong, especially on higher difficulties. It's just not my power fantasy for Aloy. I like playing with the bows and being a D&D archer character.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    When this came back out on PC, I snapped it up immediately. But then when it came time to start my playthrough, I got a little ways in and then fell off.

Got the urge to Aloy again and played last night and tonight; been rough knocking the rust off my skills, but it's starting to come back. Upping difficulty to Ultra Hard tonight was also an interesting choice. Am I wrong or does the difficulty remove the enemy hp bar? That's an interesting change and one I like.

Right now, I'm doing alright but it's a lack of weapons and outfits that feels like it's the putting a ceiling on my powerlevel. Gotta grind shards. :smile:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I’d love to play this on PC but HDR makes it look so nice on my TV.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Mouse aiming is the way and the light.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I get so many more headshots/eyeshots with mouse aiming than I did using a controller. It's nuts.

• Options
    Yeah I get that. I am a PC gamer first.

But I also like the purdy HDR, and I don’t have a HDR monitor.

• Options

Play it on your tv

• Options

Play it on your tv

Considered it, but outputting 4K from a 1070 isn’t exactly going to be a good experience either.

I’m happy enough with a game pad.

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    I'm going to have to force myself to go to bed instead of playing this until I fall asleep in the chair huh. Not had a game grip me like that in a while.

Just got done with the Proving mission. That was rough. :'(

It feels slightly off but I can't aim for shit yet so might just be inexperience.

• Options

Play it on your tv

Considered it, but outputting 4K from a 1070 isn’t exactly going to be a good experience either.

Play it at 1440p. Most 4K TV's can handle any 16:9 resolution fine.

• Options
    And I can get used to a game pad. Honestly, it’s fine.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    The only difference between headshot frequency on mouse and gamepad is the gamepad is always doing it mid jump with the auto slow mo. :)

Gaempad literally a bunch of bunny hopping Aloys it must be so annoying for the poor enemies to fight.

That's literally why that ability exists.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    With the slow-mo on jump I thought the combat got pretty trivial. Especially with how early you get it. It's entirely possible and quite easy to perfectly max-payne-dodge 100% of enemy attacks.

It's pretty much an exploit and I hope they nerf it in Forbidden West - if it's still there I'm gonna use it all the time and not need traps/preparation etc.

The DLC I think shows they understood this, the new enemies are so in your face, harder to dodge and they
    found an in-world reason to make the power armor not OP

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Honk wrote: »
    With the slow-mo on jump I thought the combat got pretty trivial. Especially with how early you get it. It's entirely possible and quite easy to perfectly max-payne-dodge 100% of enemy attacks.

It's pretty much an exploit and I hope they nerf it in Forbidden West - if it's still there I'm gonna use it all the time and not need traps/preparation etc.

The DLC I think shows they understood this, the new enemies are so in your face, harder to dodge and they
    found an in-world reason to make the power armor not OP

I wasn't aware that got any iframes. I tried to use it to dodge attacks a few times and always got hit mid air. Perhaps not quite as easy as you think for someone that doesn't know the trick?

Morninglord on
  • Options
    The only difference between headshot frequency on mouse and gamepad is the gamepad is always doing it mid jump with the auto slow mo. :)

Gaempad literally a bunch of bunny hopping Aloys it must be so annoying for the poor enemies to fight.

Hilariously I never realized it worked on jump when I originally played HZD on PS4. No idea why I never put two and two together then, but for some reason I only thought it worked on certain kind of big, off edge, jumps, not regular grounded ones.

I learned it on the PC, and now I bunny hop all over with my KBAM and absolutely murder everything.

• Options
    LuianeLuiane Registered User regular

Play it on your tv

Play it at 1440p. Most 4K TV's can handle any 16:9 resolution fine.

My 1070 was able to handle this in 4k. Admittedly not full TV size, but a 27inch computer screen, but still. It's a solid card! (And yes, the HDR is pretty!)

Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
  • Options
    TV's don't have more pixels than a monitor*. 4K is 4K regardless of the screen size.

* Disclaimer: They do sometimes use different technology to display their pixels, but 4K is still 4K from your video cards point of view.

• Options

Hilariously I never realized it worked on jump when I originally played HZD on PS4. No idea why I never put two and two together then, but for some reason I only thought it worked on certain kind of big, off edge, jumps, not regular grounded ones.

I learned it on the PC, and now I bunny hop all over with my KBAM and absolutely murder everything.

Basically cheating at that point really. KBAM and jump slow mo is ridiculous. :)

• Options
    Finally got to Meridian and did a few quests around there.

They certainly made a nicer city than the Nora. Is that meant to be on a real world location?

Also ran across my first Thunderjaw. Holy shit. What level should I be before I attempt that?

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    It's less about level so much as gear.
    When I'm fully set up, my tactic is:
    Tear the main side weapons off (hopefully getting the heart armor off into the bargain), tie it down, freeze it, then pour damage on the heart, either from damaging bows or one of the dropped weapons if you can find them)
    But if you want to be stealthy, another good approach is to hide close to its patrol route, stack every trap you have in one spot, then lure it over. Sometimes I've managed to get it to something like 30% health with that.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Obviously they’ve taken a few liberties with distance and locations but this is a fairly good list of real-world locations and their counterparts in HZD. (Some are from the Frozen Wilds DLC, fyi)

Meridian is supposed to be in Eagle Canyon, UT

https://horizon.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Real_Life_Locations_for_Places_in_Horizon_Zero_Dawn

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
This discussion has been closed.