As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Horizon Zero Dawn] Out now on PC and PS4!

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Post-Credits/End Game Spoilers.
    I thought it was so very fitting and awesome for Sylens to capture HADES like that. Heck, he as much as told us he would right after GAIA Prime. "I would do it all over again, just with more safeguards." (paraphrased)

I can't help but like Sylens, even if I don't trust him at all. There was something just so refreshing about his sheer uninterest in any emotional attachment or getting personal.
    There's something so refreshing about this utterly selfish and completely destructive near-sociopath! (But seriously, Sylens is sweet and I think he HZD could be bananas if we're dealing with him, Hades, newly rogue AI systems, Faro, and additional "modern" political intrigue a la Meridian City.)

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Welp, I may have underestimated my first Thunderjaw. That thing fucked me uuuuuup.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Stormbirds to me were one of the game's few misteps. Way too often they would position themselves in a place it just wasn't possible to reach with the camera. It felt more like a bug than difficult gameplay and after the first couple I would just sneak around subsequent ones because they weren't worth the fight.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Stormbird:
    It seems they intend you use the knockdown time to apply freeze or tie it up. Otherwise they fly up so far they take a long time to arrow to death. But frozen they fall fast in near permanent hitstun.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I started avoiding stormbirds and glinthawks by the end, too much trouble.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    captaink wrote: »

Glinthawks, at least for me, got pretty easy by the end. Two shots with the best ropecaster, wait for the critical prompt -> Crit, wait for prompt -> Crit -> Dead Glinthawk.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Glinthawks, at least for me, got pretty easy by the end. Two shots with the best ropecaster, wait for the critical prompt -> Crit, wait for prompt -> Crit -> Dead Glinthawk.

I'd go 2x Fire Arrow, that made them crash, then machine gun arrows into their chest ice tank.

• Options
    Make sure you put a handling mod into your hunter's bow folks. It fires super fast with a purple one.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

I'd go 2x Fire Arrow, that made them crash, then machine gun arrows into their chest ice tank.
    I would 2x Fire Arrow, then run up and stab them. Usually takes them out, and if not, another fire arrow finishes the job.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Triple fire arrows with purple mods typically just makes them burn to death, no other attacks needed. They crash and burn.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Single Glinthawks were usually no trouble (hardpoint off the chestplate, precision for damage usually knocks it down, stab), and flocks of Glinthawks got to eat Corruption arrows and then eat each other.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I never avoided anything. Everything was fun to fight.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Except the double corrupted rockbreaker corruption zone

Fuck that

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    JaredK91JaredK91 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Fuck that

There's a big ass loader bot (Edit: Behemoth) that pats around there I just snuck up and hacked it and it killed 1 rockbreaker while I took the other.

JaredK91 on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Fuck that

Yeah I just waited until near the end when I had the cheater armor.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I loved Stormbirds after I got the perk for three arrows at once, it was Freeze Stormbird, then play "how many sticky bombs will fit on a single Stormbird" which is the best mini-game ever.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular

Glinthawks die to a single 3-arrow volley of Fire arrows.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I never had an issue with Glinthawks fire arrows bring them down quickly and then it's basically over.

Stormhawks were long fights that I didn't really enjoy at all, I only fought 2-3 of them but really didn't get a lot out of it.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Oh man this game is so pretty!

C8GGboIXUAEo1Qu.jpg

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I got lucky with the double-rockbreaker zone because I ran into two Ravagers on the way over. So I wrecked them, dragged both guns close to the rockbreakers, and then terminated them with extreme prejudice.

• Options
    They do a great job of getting the player invested in the story and world. Just fine the proving..... The feels, man.

• Options
    Qanamil wrote: »
    I got lucky with the double-rockbreaker zone because I ran into two Ravagers on the way over. So I wrecked them, dragged both guns close to the rockbreakers, and then terminated them with extreme prejudice.

I lugged full ammo ravager cannon a long ways to blow away one of the two corrupt behemoths and its minions leaving me a single corrupt behemoth leftover.

The dual corrupt rockbreakers I just did the old fashioned way. Lots of arrows.

• Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    I cheesed it as the corrupt Rockbreakers don't leave the zone (and will throw rocks at you). So I just peppered them with fire arrows and just let them slowly burn.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    They do a great job of getting the player invested in the story and world. Just fine the proving..... The feels, man.

The Proving was fine. I mean that. It set up Aloy and her motivations, and it put in motion the main quest, etc. It was pretty paint by numbers in terms of plotting though, with the only real surprise being how they handled a couple of the minor characters. But it told a pretty predictable story fairly well.

I'll assume that you intended to say that you just finished the Proving, so I'll avoid any detail on what comes later. But: the feels have just begun, man. The Proving has nothing on the backstory. IMO, make a point of reading the logs and listening to the audio logs and visiting the Vantage points. I'm normally one who enjoys spoilers, but I really strongly recommend avoiding spoilers for this game.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

Just for fun, try keeping a journal of where you think the story's going, 'cause I'm pretty sure most of the main missions will subvert your expectations.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Having played a LOT of Monster Hunter dual monster quests, the dual Rockbreakers didn't seem all that challenging to me, as it's just a lot of camera control and not being greedy.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »

Just for fun, try keeping a journal of where you think the story's going, 'cause I'm pretty sure most of the main missions will subvert your expectations.

I might just do that, sounds like a great idea! I'll just post them in here in spoilers, if folks don't mind.

• Options
    Oh I forgot to mention but did anyone else find it weird how Aloy(post proving spoiler)
    just knows the door in the sacred mountain isn't something mystical? Like everyone else is filled but she just seems to have the knowledge from nowhere.

I'm hoping it's explained more clearly and i do have an idea but they haven't shown enough to confirm that (I'm thinking her focus is key).

• Options
    Oh I forgot to mention but did anyone else find it weird how Aloy(post proving spoiler)
    just knows the door in the sacred mountain isn't something mystical? Like everyone else is filled but she just seems to have the knowledge from nowhere.

I'm hoping it's explained more clearly and i do have an idea but they haven't shown enough to confirm that (I'm thinking her focus is key).
    I think the Focus (as well as being an outcast since birth) sets her apart from the tribe in terms of accepting their customs and mythology. The Focus is an analytical tool and growing up with it trained her to be more questioning and analytical in turn.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »

I think the Focus (as well as being an outcast since birth) sets her apart from the tribe in terms of accepting their customs and mythology. The Focus is an analytical tool and growing up with it trained her to be more questioning and analytical in turn.

See I was think that too however
    the thing that sits a bit odd for me is that Rost is the one who raised her and he is a very traditional, follow the rules of the tribe guy. I suppose it's a nature Vs nurture debate eh :P

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017

the thing that sits a bit odd for me is that Rost is the one who raised her and he is a very traditional, follow the rules of the tribe guy. I suppose it's a nature Vs nurture debate eh :P

Well I figure that (Post-Proving spoilers)
    As soon as Aloy saw that door to All-Mother, she was thinking: "That's a security door. The ruin I fell into as a kid had doors that looked pretty similiar to that." And then I'm pretty sure the Focus shows "Security Door" when you look at All-Mother.

So I wasn't surprised when Aloy had no reverence because I was thinking: "This is All-Mother? (Technically, it's the physical symbol of All-Mother but still.) It's a door. Teersa, you know I love you, you're my favorite Matriarch. But it's a door."

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

The scanner in the door said the exact same thing to her that it did to her (presumed) mother in the clip she saw from Olin's focus. Between that and her growing up with the focus and previous exposure to technology in the cave she fell into, it should have fallen into place pretty quickly for her.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Having played a LOT of Monster Hunter dual monster quests, the dual Rockbreakers didn't seem all that challenging to me, as it's just a lot of camera control and not being greedy.

yea honestly the bigger scarier monsters i have no problem with because the iframes they give you on the dodge is almost luxurious compared to monster hunter. feels like almost 2 seconds of immunity.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Man, i completely closed over those parts you guys mentioned. I should probably not play the game when incredibly tired :lol:

• Options
    Question about Aloy (late game/post game spoilers):
    Would she be considered a genius? I mean, she's obviously very intelligent, and she's a clone of a bona fide genius. To what extent is intelligence genetic, and less a result of education and upbringing?

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Would she be considered a genius? I mean, she's obviously very intelligent, and she's a clone of a bona fide genius. To what extent is intelligence genetic, and less a result of education and upbringing?
    Yes. She figured out that the earth was round based on observation of eclipses. She taught herself how to read English by matching symbols on the focus to objects. While not a direct indicator of intelligence, that she kept an open and inquisitive mind throughout the story, figuring out what happened in some of the detective moments based on what her Focus showed her, indicates she's a very smart cookie.

I'd say that she's a genius, but that a large portion of her formative years were spent learning how to hunt machines rather than how to build them. Same genius, very different application.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    It's assumed the info you as a player see from focus scan is about the same Aloy gets in character.
    There was at least one quest cutscene where she reads aloud directly from the focus HUD.

• Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Yes. She figured out that the earth was round based on observation of eclipses. She taught herself how to read English by matching symbols on the focus to objects. While not a direct indicator of intelligence, that she kept an open and inquisitive mind throughout the story, figuring out what happened in some of the detective moments based on what her Focus showed her, indicates she's a very smart cookie.

I'd say that she's a genius, but that a large portion of her formative years were spent learning how to hunt machines rather than how to build them. Same genius, very different application.
    I figured that English was a language they were using anyway. The first new generation got at least a pre-school level of education, I'd expect basic English to be included.

• Options

I figured that English was a language they were using anyway. The first new generation got at least a pre-school level of education, I'd expect basic English to be included.
    Spoken english yes. But was written english covered? iirc I don't recall seeing any writing anywhere. Just pictograms and glyphs. And the scanned "modern day" writings specify that they're glyph writings.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Spoken english yes. But was written english covered? iirc I don't recall seeing any writing anywhere. Just pictograms and glyphs. And the scanned "modern day" writings specify that they're glyph writings.

Written English was not covered.

The Focus translates the Gylph style writing that's emerged to replace it - at least some of the Glyphs in the journal say that they were translated by the Focus. Aloy probably can't read those yet. But she can read English. One of my favourite moments in the game is when she sees the sign for Enduring Victory at USRC and immediately comments on the name.

Also, the Focus replaces the road markings with English letters for Aloy. I love that little detail.

Aloy and Sylens could probably write back and forth in English and no one would have any idea what they were saying to each other.

This discussion has been closed.