As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Horizon Zero Dawn] Out now on PC and PS4!

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Dang I love everything about this setting, likeability of most of the secondary characters aside. Everything about the new world and then slowly peeling back the layers of information about the old world. It's nuts. Also goddamn it's a gorgeous game, holy shit. Vistas all over the damn place. Plus the people look incredible.

Given those are almost exactly my same reasons for loving Hollow Knight it's going to be a tough decision for me come GOTY time.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Aloy is the angel of death.

I think they send her to visit Disney parents.

She just goes and eats lifeforce through exposition. Nobody who is injured should dare to speak with her

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I keep seeing the DLC For this pop up in the shop and i get excited and then i remember it's for pre-ordering it.

Pre-ordering DLC

The worst part is i'll end up pre-ordering it for the damn discount.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Just finished it. I loved 80% of the game and it's likely GOTY, but man the climbing aspect of it was just not great. I hated any time I got an exposition dump and had to climb around s dark ruin with no combat.

There were also major hubs that were a pain in the butt navigate around.

Also about 2/3 through the game i got a bit over the repetition of the quests. Which was likely due to meridian and the spire being such a butt to run around in/to/from

Still a great game but I felt like I wasted so much time trying to figure out how to get from point A to point B either due to annoying town structure or the lame climbing stuff

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Mission diversity is definitely something that they should improve for the sequel. A fair bit of the missions exist to show you where you can get things you need and to have you come across new mecha-critters, or otherwise serve as semi-tutorial missions. Heck, even the hunter missions are mostly just something to teach the player different ways to fight enemies.

My least-enjoyed missions were the "follow the trail" types, generally a lot of running running around without doing much with those.
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    Also, since everyone else is doing it, IMHO HZD > BotW cause the combat is so much better.

I definitely enjoyed the HZD combat immensely more, but far more than that, HZD bothers to get the player committed to the characters and the setting. BotW is basically just dicking around in a massive mostly-empty (but pretty) sandbox until you feel like beating the game, nobody seemed to actually be suffering at all from the state of the world and almost nothing has any story to it to show how bad things are. The only ruin that wouldn't be there anyway is Castle Hyrule, all the towns and whatnot are still around and not at all bothered by Ganon.

By the end of HZD, you know what failure will mean and the game does a solid job of getting you invested enough to actually care. By the end of BotW, hardly anybody inside the setting even cares if you beat Ganon, and the only thing the player knows about him is "he's a big bad thing, cuz prophecy says so".

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

One of the things that I love about HZ:D is how it's basically a fantasy story with magic.
    Aloy is the Chosen One, the Once and Future Savior. She even has what amounts to an honest-to-GAIA prophecy about her, where GAIA recovers from her brief moment of despair and basically says "I know that you'll find a way to make it here to hear these words." What Aloy does all game is basically magic. She sees the unseen and casts spells on the machines to charm them into following her. Her enemy is literally the devil, powerless in of himself, but capable of tempting and deceiving people into following him, and served by a legion that came from below the surface of the world.
    I hope that they continue those aspects of the story.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    The story reminded me a lot of an American version of a typical final fantasy game.

I will say that the shadow Carja needed more personality and presence. The lacked a real face to their threat and ideology. Definitely the weakest part of the story but overall still a great execution that gave me FF6,7 and 10 vibes

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I was okay with them given the tribal nature of all the cultures, but yeah, they could've done with more development as to why they were so big on being dicks as a rule. There's info to dig up as to what they did to become Shadow Carja, but not so much about why. Hope the next game has loads more detail about the various cultures.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    I was okay with them given the tribal nature of all the cultures, but yeah, they could've done with more development as to why they were so big on being dicks as a rule. There's info to dig up as to what they did to become Shadow Carja, but not so much about why. Hope the next game has loads more detail about the various cultures.

They do explain it in the game, it's just not that interesting. They liked the sundom how it was under the old sun king and want it like that again. Pretty simple.

• Options
    Oh, huh. Good luck to anyone trying to figure out what quest I was talking about, I guess. It happens multiple times!

Someone dying mid-conversation should be illegal. Stop it. Do something more interesting.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I desperately want a VR experience that is basically Aloy's perspective during gameplay as a VR movie.

Like, you play the game for an hour to record the action, then put the helmet on and watch what you just did in full 3D, with your vision based on your upper body being hooked to Aloy's hips, so you have some control but are otherwise in a 1P perspective.

I want to see the thunderjaw's tail as it swings for my face.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I really liked the smith lady that brought you the super gun. She was probably the best secondary character

• Options
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I desperately want a VR experience that is basically Aloy's perspective during gameplay as a VR movie.

Like, you play the game for an hour to record the action, then put the helmet on and watch what you just did in full 3D, with your vision based on your upper body being hooked to Aloy's hips, so you have some control but are otherwise in a 1P perspective.

I want to see the thunderjaw's tail as it swings for my face.

I dunno, it would probably get pretty disorienting to be in a VR video which is 80% metal dinosaur parts clawing at you, explosions, and alternating between looking up at the sky and down at the ground with 20% calm scenic vistas.

• Options
    How did everyone else spec thier bows? For the most part I used the main bow witty max fire, percision Max damage and dark bow max ice

Triple notch freeze to freeze big guys then triple notch percision to damage/ tear apart armor

Maxed fire let me double notch burn most of the cat bots

I wish there were more weapon tiers. One more tier with elemental bonuses would've been great

616610-1.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I just put Max damage in the main bow, tear in the sharpshoot, and I think freeze in the war bow?

Hardpoints just kind of wreck all the little things and humans that way and I got close to the damage of the precision arrows so I really only used thatone for extra long range eclipse hunting

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I mostly use the sniper bow, with two slots in damage and one for handling + a bit of damage from the bonus on that particular mod.

Regular bow I gave handling and damage I guess. War bow one handling so I can fire faster, two corruption so I can corrupt fast. I only use elemental arrows to trigger the explosion things.

Aistan on
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I'd have to look again, but I think I ended up running two hunter bows. One set up with fire and the other set up for damage. My sniper bow was set up for tearblast and my tripwire was set up for fire blast damage. Hard points will just wreck shit if you can get them out fast enough.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    So uh

how do I preorder this thing

because god knows I'm going to be playing that expansion the instant it unlocks

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Reading other people's bow set ups helps me realize just how amazing this system of combat is. And how amazing the weapon mods are.

But then I realized how in the last third of the game you're fighting way too many humans and not enough robot dinosaurs and I got sad

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    I don't mind fighting humans. Just cements Aloy as Queen Badass of Headshot Mountain.

When I was walking to the park to watch the eclipse yesterday I heard a Goose honk off the trail a bit. My immediate instinctual thought was "oh shit where is that I still need another skin"

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I hated when the guys you were fighting suddenly turned into Neo and was able to bend time and space to dodge an arrow.

• Options
    I'm always sidestepping arrows in my life. So that seemed realistic

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I don't mind fighting humans. Just cements Aloy as Queen Badass of Headshot Mountain.

When I was walking to the park to watch the eclipse yesterday I heard a Goose honk off the trail a bit. My immediate instinctual thought was "oh shit where is that I still need another skin"
    There's a good spot to farm geese:
    If you climb up to the cliff where you found Grata's prayer beads, from the spot where you zipline down you can see a flock of them by the bonfire.
    Toss a couple of bombs down there before they panic, and you can get four or five in one go.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    The second That Asshole said "run! Don't fight!" I stopped and meticulously took out every single enemy shooting at me. Even though it meant hearing him repeat those same three lines over and over. Not sure why the bridge blew up at the end since there was nothing alive to shoot at it but whatevs.

Also left about five prox bombs on fanatic dickbag's armor.

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    I gave my 10-year-old daughter my first ng+ and it's fascinating to see how she deals with things compared to how I did. I ran a super stealthy build with tons of +handling on bows and especially ropecaster, then +tear on the sharpshooter bow, +fire on the hunter, and +corruption on the war bow. I switched up weapons a lot for a given fight, set traps, and used my focus heavily to find the right spot to drop a machine or opponent such that the next one would find their body and come investigate. Usually by the time my foes actually saw me, there were only a couple left, or one that had been tied down for an afternoon while I hunted its friends.

Aside -
    Ever corrupt an Eclipse cultist in one of the areas with a live Deathbringer? He gets a few seconds to really let it soak in that the Deathbringer is mad at him, while it brings guns to bear. Delightful, if a little excessively vengeful.

She has the ancient armor and keeps equipped at all times: the hunter bow, the tripcaster, the tearblaster for some reason, and ...the fourth thing doesn't matter because 99.5% of her shots are fire arrows. That thing's on fire? Better keep it warmed up with some fire arrows. Something's not on fire yet!? Man, you know it's fire arrow time! People shooting at you from far away? Roll toward them until you can shoot them with a fire arrow! I think the tearblaster has been out of ammo for a few hours of playtime.

I really wish the game had an extensive after-campaign stats screen so we could compare.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    Well that was some good old cutscene incompetence.

Secrets of the Earth + the quest after I can't remember the name of
    Gameplay Aloy can get hit in the face by a Trampler or shot in the head by a fire arrow and just chow down on some medicine and be fine. A normal-ass explodey ball that she's fired a billion of and been hit by as many of goes off on the other side of an old-world wall/window and Cutscene Aloy goes down instantly.

Gameplay Aloy can take down five machines at once, corrupted or no, with some fancy dodges and good arrow-work. Cutscene Aloy slowly backs away aiming her bow but not shooting at two easy-ass corrupters until That Asshole shows up to rescue her.

Gameplay Aloy would shoot That Asshole in the face immediately. Cutscene Aloy lets him ride away until the cutscene is over where he has now disappeared.

God damn that was one hell of a lore dump though. I am super invested in this setting, maybe more than any game I can think of.

• Options
    I went into the game expecting a totally ignorable story but getting into it for fighting robot dinosaurs.

It didn't take long until I was rabidly fighting robot dinosaurs to devour the remainder of the story.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    I gave my 10-year-old daughter my first ng+ and it's fascinating to see how she deals with things compared to how I did. I ran a super stealthy build with tons of +handling on bows and especially ropecaster, then +tear on the sharpshooter bow, +fire on the hunter, and +corruption on the war bow. I switched up weapons a lot for a given fight, set traps, and used my focus heavily to find the right spot to drop a machine or opponent such that the next one would find their body and come investigate. Usually by the time my foes actually saw me, there were only a couple left, or one that had been tied down for an afternoon while I hunted its friends.

Aside -
    Ever corrupt an Eclipse cultist in one of the areas with a live Deathbringer? He gets a few seconds to really let it soak in that the Deathbringer is mad at him, while it brings guns to bear. Delightful, if a little excessively vengeful.

She has the ancient armor and keeps equipped at all times: the hunter bow, the tripcaster, the tearblaster for some reason, and ...the fourth thing doesn't matter because 99.5% of her shots are fire arrows. That thing's on fire? Better keep it warmed up with some fire arrows. Something's not on fire yet!? Man, you know it's fire arrow time! People shooting at you from far away? Roll toward them until you can shoot them with a fire arrow! I think the tearblaster has been out of ammo for a few hours of playtime.

I really wish the game had an extensive after-campaign stats screen so we could compare.

The tearblaster is good, actually.

• Options
    captaink wrote: »
    hlprmnky wrote: »

Aside -

The tearblaster is good, actually.

Not without ammo it isn't. :lol:

I do intend to go back and learn more about the "dodge or resist attacks and do lots of work at close range" combat style where I bet the tearblaster shines, someday. After my kid is done hunting robodinos.

_
  • Options
    Heh, the item That Asshole gives you after the escape is pretty goofy if you think about it at all.
    Oh a disguise to let me back into Sunfall, great!

... Wait, there aren't even any female Carja soldiers, much less Shadow Carja. And this armor does literally nothing to hide her most distinctive, flaming red and braided, feature.

At least it looks awesome which is all that matters.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Yeah that item.
    I wore it when I went to get one of the tallnecks that the eclipse were trying to coral and they immediately saw through it.

Gg useless disguise

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Heh, the item That Asshole gives you after the escape is pretty goofy if you think about it at all.
    Oh a disguise to let me back into Sunfall, great!

... Wait, there aren't even any female Carja soldiers, much less Shadow Carja. And this armor does literally nothing to hide her most distinctive, flaming red and braided, feature.

At least it looks awesome which is all that matters.

Who the hell looks at hair when everybody is wearing all these fabulous hats?

• Options
    Post-Mountain That Fell:
    It's kind of amazing that a person that the main character has never met, who has no knowledge of the main character, and whose actions took place thousands of years ago or more is now near the top of my list of people I hate the most in a fictional setting.

Ted Faro is a real goddamn piece of work, holy shit. Just the worst possible decisions at every step of the way. Most people in stories like this are lucky if they end the world once. Ted "Shitbag" Faro managed to do it twice, first burning everything down then giving it hope before salting the remains. Fuck you, Ted.

Also got the shield weaver outfit. I'm kinda disappointed. I thought it would look more like it does in the armory, instead it's basically just the nora protector armor with a dumb shimmer every few seconds. Oh well.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Also got the shield weaver outfit. I'm kinda disappointed. I thought it would look more like it does in the armory, instead it's basically just the nora protector armor with a dumb shimmer every few seconds. Oh well.

Walking around looking like an extra from Infinite Warfare would be a little out of place, though.
    Agreed on the spoiler, and I don't think he was done yet:
    He was in his own bunker elsewhere, so he had plenty of time left to screw things up even further.
    I'm betting a sequel's going to feature him, maybe with either clones of him or him finally getting cryogenics working. Hopefully the latter, because I think the top of every Horizon players wish list is the chance to stick a spear right through him.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I'd rather put a spear through
    Sylens' That Asshole's face. The way he is written he is absolutely going to be a villain in a dlc or a sequel, he can't not be. Someone's going to say "hey i'll give you a bunch of old world knowledge you just have to genocide this valley over there" and he'll say "when do you need it done by?"

Aistan on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Replaying the game to knock out Ultra Hard NG+, I am again reminded of my favorite line in the game.
    "In you, all things are possible."

You get a piece of it when you visit Project Zero Dawn, with GAIA reassuring Elisabet just before Zero Dawn's deployment. All you get there is "In you, all things" before the message is cut off. It's in GAIA's final message to Elisabet/Aloy that you get the full version of the quote. As character development lines go, it's a doozy. GAIA by far the most powerful AI ever created, and when she has her moment of despair, she's able to recover because she knows that she's returning Elisabet to the world. I think that I've mentioned before that the game has religious overtones, and it's here that they're heaviest.

There's absolutely no scientific evidence of reincarnation. GAIA would be fully aware of that. She'd know that there's no way that the child she's ordering created would have Elisabet's memories, and she certainly wouldn't have Elisabet's education or knowledge of the world. While there's a certain degree of who we are that's likely set on a biological level there's no reason to think that the girl's personality would be anything like Elisabet's on the whole. And yet: GAIA believes that the girl will be more than just Elisabet's clone, that the girl will be Elisabet. It shouldn't be possible. But:

In Elisabet Sobeck, all things are possible.

It's my hope that in future games, Ted Faro shows up, almost entirely for one specific reason. I really want him to go into a conversation with Aloy with the angry attitude of "You're just a clone!" And by the end of it be completely fucking terrified out of his mind because holy shit, Aloy is more than a clone, Aloy really is Elisabet Goddamn Sobeck, and in her, all things are possible.

Post-Mountain That Fell:
    It's kind of amazing that a person that the main character has never met, who has no knowledge of the main character, and whose actions took place thousands of years ago or more is now near the top of my list of people I hate the most in a fictional setting.

Ted Faro is a real goddamn piece of work, holy shit. Just the worst possible decisions at every step of the way. Most people in stories like this are lucky if they end the world once. Ted "Shitbag" Faro managed to do it twice, first burning everything down then giving it hope before salting the remains. Fuck you, Ted.

By the same token,
    Elisabet Sobeck and Aaron Herres are some of my favorite video game characters.

Though you play as Elisabet, from a certain point of view.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    My thoughts on Aloy
    Yes she is a clone, but I'm going to assume, for the sake of the science in this game that genius is genetic and a clone of Sobek would be just as much of a genius as the original. Add to that the amount of combat training and experience she has at the end of the game and Faro is going to be obliterated if he's around for one reason or another. Also, humans think that their creator can do all sorts of incredible things. I don't see why an AI would think so much differently. So, you have one slightly too human AI and one genius clone to save the world. Easy peasy, lol.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    That's a bit of a spoiler Aistan, can you put tags around it?

• Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Replaying the game to knock out Ultra Hard NG+, I am again reminded of my favorite line in the game.
    "In you, all things are possible."

You get a piece of it when you visit Project Zero Dawn, with GAIA reassuring Elisabet just before Zero Dawn's deployment. All you get there is "In you, all things" before the message is cut off. It's in GAIA's final message to Elisabet/Aloy that you get the full version of the quote. As character development lines go, it's a doozy. GAIA by far the most powerful AI ever created, and when she has her moment of despair, she's able to recover because she knows that she's returning Elisabet to the world. I think that I've mentioned before that the game has religious overtones, and it's here that they're heaviest.

There's absolutely no scientific evidence of reincarnation. GAIA would be fully aware of that. She'd know that there's no way that the child she's ordering created would have Elisabet's memories, and she certainly wouldn't have Elisabet's education or knowledge of the world. While there's a certain degree of who we are that's likely set on a biological level there's no reason to think that the girl's personality would be anything like Elisabet's on the whole. And yet: GAIA believes that the girl will be more than just Elisabet's clone, that the girl will be Elisabet. It shouldn't be possible. But:

In Elisabet Sobeck, all things are possible.

It's my hope that in future games, Ted Faro shows up, almost entirely for one specific reason. I really want him to go into a conversation with Aloy with the angry attitude of "You're just a clone!" And by the end of it be completely fucking terrified out of his mind because holy shit, Aloy is more than a clone, Aloy really is Elisabet Goddamn Sobeck, and in her, all things are possible.

Post-Mountain That Fell:

By the same token,
    Elisabet Sobeck and Aaron Herres are some of my favorite video game characters.

Though you play as Elisabet, from a certain point of view.
    The last cutscene, when Aloy goes and finds Sobeck's farm, and you see the violet flowers around her body - when the penny dropped that the Metal Flowers out in the world, the poems encoded in them, are GAIA's euology for her creator and mentor and heroine? I teared up right in front of my kid. I'm a little onions-being-cut-ish right now just thinking about it again. This game is a triumph and I'm so happy that I get to play it and that my daughter gets to play it as her first narrative video game.

_
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    As someone who is still holding out hope for news of a PC port (and gradually crumbling to the idea of maybe needing to buy a console), I would like to thank everyone for being solid about spoiler tags. I'm sure it's a bit annoying, especially this long after release, but it's appreciated that you all make the effort.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
This discussion has been closed.