As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Horizon Zero Dawn] Out now on PC and PS4!

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Alakhami wrote: »
    Did you guys feel that the DLC did much to compliment the lore of the game? Frankly, I was a bit a dissapointed. It was fun and all and the tone was done perfectly (both visually and in terms of music) but at the end, I couldn't help but feel like it wasn't worth all the effort.

If you find a carefully hidden message, it does suggest that Ted Faro
    might be alive even after thousands of years. It talks about very effective life extension technology with promising trials (even aside from the cryo stuff we've seen in other areas of the game).

I think he's alive in some form, and Aloy will get to 1) show him he hasn't gotten away from Sobek, and 2) punch him in his dumb fucking face.

One of my dream moments for HZD2:

An armoured woman enters the court of the Great and Mighty Pharaoh of the Forbidden West or whatever, wearing a helmet. The Great Pharaoh’s guards demand that she kneel. She ignores them.

“Hello, Ted,” Aloy says in a casual tone as she pulls off her helmet. “Do you recognize me?”

The Great and Mighty Pharaoh faints.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I demand that the sequel gives Aloy a miniature watcher companion.

Upgrade it over time from meek small thing to launching laser beams out of its face and grenades from its shoulder mounted launchers.

I want to be able to rip weapons off of other creatures and plug them into it.

I would love the chance to directly control some robots instead of just turning them to your side. Give me some big knock-down, drag-out fights between huge robot dinosaurs. That's a whole new combat system, though, which is a lot of dev effort, and controlling big bots would have to take a lot of resources or effort.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Is there a known issue that load times increase as your save does? I can make a cup of coffee in these 'fast travels'

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Did you guys feel that the DLC did much to compliment the lore of the game? Frankly, I was a bit a dissapointed. It was fun and all and the tone was done perfectly (both visually and in terms of music) but at the end, I couldn't help but feel like it wasn't worth all the effort.

might be alive even after thousands of years. It talks about very effective life extension technology with promising trials (even aside from the cryo stuff we've seen in other areas of the game).

I think he's alive in some form, and Aloy will get to 1) show him he hasn't gotten away from Sobek, and 2) punch him in his dumb fucking face.

An armoured woman enters the court of the Great and Mighty Pharaoh of the Forbidden West or whatever, wearing a helmet. The Great Pharaoh’s guards demand that she kneel. She ignores them.

“Hello, Ted,” Aloy says in a casual tone as she pulls off her helmet. “Do you recognize me?”

I like the Faro/Pharaoh touch.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2018

I see your subtle moment, and raise you
    smashing through Faro's defenses with robot dinosaurs under the control of a rebuilt GAIA (who you have now shown Faro's actions and is now pissed on a level that only a sentient ultra-computer can be), kicking in the wall of his throne room with some death-spewing super-monstrosity, and Aloy hops down and shows her face.

Then socks him in the eye with Sobek's necklace in her fist while he stands there, literally mouth agape.

Having Faro think he is a literal god and then puncturing that little delusion firsthand would be soooooo damn tasty. I would happily wait for a third game to do that, as long as they really really make it enjoyable. Surprise, asshole! Karma is real and it got past the end of the fucking world to make sure you pay up!

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

I see your subtle moment, and raise you
    smashing through Faro's defenses with robot dinosaurs under the control of a rebuilt GAIA (who you have now shown Faro's actions and is now pissed on a level that only a sentient ultra-computer can be), kicking in the wall of his throne room with some death-spewing super-monstrosity, and Aloy hops down and shows her face.

Then socks him in the eye with Sobek's necklace in her fist while he stands there, literally mouth agape.

Having Faro think he is a literal god and then puncturing that little delusion firsthand would be soooooo damn tasty. I would happily wait for a third game to do that, as long as they really really make it enjoyable. Surprise, asshole! Karma is real and it got past the end of the fucking world to make sure you pay up!
    I think poetic justice would be to find some way to feed him to a Faro robot, if you can just find a way that doesn't also include the apocalypse.
    Honestly, I felt that way since I read the note about the dolphins, the rest of the game just reinforced it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    It's amazing how this game has such a hated villain that the player never meets or interacts with in any way. I definitely hated him way more then I did the actual final boss.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    It's amazing how this game has such a hated villain that the player never meets or interacts with in any way. I definitely hated him way more then I did the actual final boss.
    HADES is doing what it was made to do; it's just a system out of control and unbalanced. I can understand that. Even Sylens, arrogant fool though I might think him for trying to keep the Devil bottled up just to get another semester of extension classes at Golden Age Community College, I can understand. Ted Fucking Faro, though. He's an ass - a world-wrecking ass - for no reason other than his own poisonous self-regard. I, too, hope we get to feed him to a Snapmaw, or perhaps several Snapmaws (whether by finding a bunch of his clones or subdividing the one Ted we have, I don't particularly care). The way I feel about Ted Fucking Faro is an incredible narrative feat, I agree for sure.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I hope Ted Faro
    is long dead and gone alone in a sealed bunker millennia ago and we never interact with him in any way.

• Options
    LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
    I'd like to see Faro
    alive and in a position of power. After Aloy deposes him, he is forced to live as an outcast; shunned by the new world's civilizations. He should be forced to live feral and in fear of what's around the next corner as the lowest class of citizen for the rest of his life. It's too easy to just kill him; he should have to live with his folly as a man wholly unsuited to do so and in complete fear.

26965406221_865f825658.jpg
    Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
  • Options
    It's just so impressive to me that Faro
    manages to screw up in one way that kills the world, then learns from his mistake in order to screw up and risk killing the world in a completely new way.
    Most harbingers of the apocalypse only manage it once, and the rare few who aspire to multiple counts tend to just repeat themselves.
    If nothing else, Ted believes in innovation, I'll give him that.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Started a NG+ on ultra hard. Still in the eastern part of the map, but so far it really hasn’t been much harder. I imagine this will change later on but hopefully I’ll have some of the new gear by then.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I really should finish off my Hard run and dive into UH.

... but these Fortnite missions won't grind out themselves...

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I don’t know if it’s because I went from the DLC right into this Ultra Hard NG+ but I still feel like I’m playing in God Mode most of the time. Right now I’m farming Stormbirds for a part I need that doesn’t drop often. I still die on occasion but the auto save system is generous. I’ve been zipping through the Hunting Grounds and it turns out they’re a lot easier if you’ve done them before. Crazy, I know.

Also the special weapons you get from the DLC have the potential of being game breaking at times.

knitdan on
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I'd prob just forgive Ted and say "hey, it's in the past (heh heh heh) and look how much more fashionable we are now. did us a favor. right now i'm basically wearing old gaming PC parts on myself as armor and no one thinks it's anything but normal."

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Frei wrote: »
    I'd prob just forgive Ted and say "hey, it's in the past (heh heh heh) and look how much more fashionable we are now. did us a favor. right now i'm basically wearing old gaming PC parts on myself as armor and no one thinks it's anything but normal."
    Including the fact that he's doomed the world again? It's not just living in ignorance, the entire system was design with the idea that humans would be taught how to complete the recovery of the planet. There's a reason that there are no animals bigger than a boar, humans were meant to re-introduce them.

Unless they find the knowledge somewhere, the planet's not going to last.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Frei wrote: »
    Including the fact that he's doomed the world again? It's not just living in ignorance, the entire system was design with the idea that humans would be taught how to complete the recovery of the planet. There's a reason that there are no animals bigger than a boar, humans were meant to re-introduce them.

Unless they find the knowledge somewhere, the planet's not going to last.

I was just joking, don't think there'd be much good will or forgiveness

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Think we'll see a Horizon 2 logo tease at Sony's presser? I'm optimistic.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Finally got a chance to dig into the DLC. Was super fun.

OMG not playing this in a year made starting out so so awkward. The robo-dinosaurs are killing me!
    knitdan wrote: »
    Something that bothered me about the “lost hunters” dlc quest

DLC side quest spoiler
    The point of the “test” is supposedly for young hunters who want to join the werak, by duplicating the conditions their ancestors had to survive. And yet, the conditions under which new recruits are tested are actually more difficult. Because the ancestors had each other. And they obviously worked together to survive the ordeal. But nooooo, that’s forbidden for new recruits. What a crock of shit.
    I wanted Aloy to drop so much more shade when she was talking with the chieftain and the lady she helped who cast out her friend.

All in all that was some good DLC. Felt like a nice addition and was a pretty decent size for going back to the game after a pause. A satisfying amount without overstaying its welcome.

Still needs to improve the inventory management but it is loads better than it was.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    furlion wrote: »
    I wanted Aloy to drop so much more shade when she was talking with the chieftain and the lady she helped who cast out her friend.

That is literally the only conversation in the game that I used the closed fist dialog option for.

Everything else is usually brain, except when I feel that Aloy would be sensitive to another person's feelings. I prefer to have Aloy think her way through problems, so I'm basically 80% brain, 20% heart. But on that particular conversation, I smash that closed fist option without hesitation. If there was an option that had Aloy just walk up and say "fuck you," I would take it. If there was an option to say "If I was locked in a room with you, Ted Faro, and a bow with two arrows, I'd just find a way to escape and leave you and Ted in that room together forever," I would take it.

With that said, I hope that Ikrie shows up in Horizon 2. Ideally as a romance option.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options

OMG not playing this in a year made starting out so so awkward. The robo-dinosaurs are killing me!

DLC side quest spoiler
    The point of the “test” is supposedly for young hunters who want to join the werak, by duplicating the conditions their ancestors had to survive. And yet, the conditions under which new recruits are tested are actually more difficult. Because the ancestors had each other. And they obviously worked together to survive the ordeal. But nooooo, that’s forbidden for new recruits. What a crock of shit.

All in all that was some good DLC. Felt like a nice addition and was a pretty decent size for going back to the game after a pause. A satisfying amount without overstaying its welcome.

Still needs to improve the inventory management but it is loads better than it was.

In fairness, the DLC is just flat out hard even coming right during my first playthrough. The enemies in the DLC are generally a LOT tougher.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

DLC side quest spoiler

In fairness, the DLC is just flat out hard even coming right during my first playthrough. The enemies in the DLC are generally a LOT tougher.

Flameclaws are kinda some special bullshit. When one downed me through fire resist pot+shield+full health it was infuriating but I ended up adapting.

I had written it off to just being rusty but even after playing through it all they are still more of a challenge then saw that Thunderjaw I had to go back and kill.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Yeah until you get some better cold weapons they are nasty as hell.

Honestly, they are nasty even after that.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The first encounter you have with an enemy in the DLC is a quick primer on "these things will fuck you up, they are to be shown 'appropriate respect', by which I mean 'overwhelming firepower'".

And yeah, the first time I fought a fireclaw could have been set to yakity sax. Followup fights were considerably more controlled, but even on normal, the DLC does raise the bar for what it expects from the player.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options

Non-NG+ Ultra Hard Frozen Wilds was some pretty crazy bullshit by times, especially when Aloy wasn’t to level 40 yet. But the weapons and armor were pretty much necessary for Ultra Hard, so. . .

The toughest fight for me was actually the one against two Frostclaws, when you have to save the guy on the mountain left to die. That was just brutal.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I should get back to this and finish it off. There's always a shiny new game coming out to distract me from the new game I was already playing!

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    I should get back to this and finish it off. There's always a shiny new game coming out to distract me from the new game I was already playing!

It's true. As big of a fan as I was of the base game, I had to force myself to sit down a few times and get through the DLC. It's great, and I really enjoyed it and was glad I made time for it, but... it's just a fact of life that it can be hard to return to a "completed" game to see new-but-extraneous content.

But yeah, do it. It's quite beautiful and worth it, and it ramps up.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if my compulsion to do all the quests and kill all the things means I'm a higher level than the game expects me to be, but it doesn't really seem to make a lot of difference.

Just hit the Daytower for the first time and I think I'm almost level 28?

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Oh man. There’s like 2/3 of the map you haven’t seen.

• Options
    Non-NG+ Ultra Hard Frozen Wilds was some pretty crazy bullshit by times, especially when Aloy wasn’t to level 40 yet. But the weapons and armor were pretty much necessary for Ultra Hard, so. . .

The toughest fight for me was actually the one against two Frostclaws, when you have to save the guy on the mountain left to die. That was just brutal.

I remember a herd of those flaming buffalo/bull things that messed me up pretty bad.

• Options
    Oh man. There’s like 2/3 of the map you haven’t seen.

Oh yeah, I know I'm not far through the story, and I don't feel like I've even been that thorough exploring the bits I have opened up, but the next part of the main quest is showing it's recommended level is 12 or something like that.

It's not like 10HP and a skill point per level are gamebreaking or anything, just curious.

• Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Finished this game for the first time yesterday. Was great. This is the first game in a LONG time that I've taken the time to read every bit of lore, talk to all the people I can talk to, listen to all the audio bits. I just started my NG+ UH, but I think I may be too fresh off my first play through and need a few days before I dive back in. I think I need to just relish in what a delightful game this was.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    OK, finally finished the main DLC quest. Fireclaws are bullshit, yo. On top of that I'd rather fight an army of Frostclaws than a Scorcher. I'll post my full thoughts when I get back to my desk top tomorrow.

[edit]
    So, the story was good, expanding on what you learn in the previous cauldrons.
    I am really curious about the relative "strength" of the various AIs. Hephestus was a subordinate routine, and should not have that powerful, but a custom built stand alone AI was not able to fight it off. Cyan was a had a lot of very interesting things to say after you free it. Still think the new machines are bullshit. Tearblast arrows don't peel anything off, way too resistant to blast damage, and way too much HP compared to even a Thunderjaw. I get that they want to up the danger, but dang, give them at least one or two weaknesses. Was also not a fan of the confined space for the encounter with the Thunderjaw and Fireclaw in the cauldron, I'm much more of a standoff player and that was fucking up my program, lol.
    [/edit]

Krieghund on
  • Options
    Still slowly working my way through this when I get time, and I'm noticing that I run directly from point to point a lot more than I did when exploring in Breath of the Wild. I think the world just feels a bit more closed off when you can only climb at certain places, while in Zelda I'd find myself climbing to the top of something to see if anything was there, and spot something that would catch my eye and distract me.

So far I'm yet to really wander anywhere I haven't been directed (though often take 'shortcuts' instead of stick to the road).

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Problem for BotW for me was that the question "is there something interesting over there?" was a resoundingly dull "no" 99.9% of the time. If you were lucky, you'd find another one of the million shrines (and if you were really really lucky, it would be one of the handful of actually interesting shrines instead of one of the really tedious, easy, or battle shrines). If not, it would be one of the billion korok seed locations, or just plain nothing at all. After the twentieth or so time scaling a tough cliff and finding fuckall up there (also for the twentieth time), I just got puzzled as to why anybody cares that you can go anywhere in BotW when there's almost never anything unique to find.

For HZD, that same question is almost always answered with "yes". Virtually anything you find in the game adds some flavor or depth to it. Even finding dumbass mugs adds to the current setting via comments from the collector, and adds to the history with a description of the item. If you see something that looks significant or interesting in HZD, there actually is something significant or interesting there because the devs want exploration to have a reward beyond Collectible Bit #546.

HZD does take a bit to open up, though. Player direction is heavily controlled until you get outside the first small area as it serves as the tutorial for pretty much everything, and even then, the player is largely pointed through the second area to get to where the game area really opens up. There's a fair amount of stuff to go back and check out later on as well, that either doesn't show up or you can't access now.

• Options
    I've been to Meridian and done a few quests out of there, I think the map is as open as it's going to get.

I'm not sure what it is, whether the world is more dense so you don't get those expanses opening up in front of you very often? I'm not disagreeing that a lot of BotW was sparse, but half the time the view was enough of a reward for climbing a mountain! And while the graphics on H:ZD are incredible, I'm finding myself in awe at the surroundings less often.

I'm still really enjoying the game, the combat is awesome, it's just something I noticed different in my play between two fairly often compared games. Honestly, it might be down to the fact I played Zelda a year earlier, and I have less play time now and Horizon keeps throwing quests at me so I feel like I have more things on my to-do list.

• Options
    It's a lot denser world, but you also definitely spend a lot more time at lower elevations than you do in BotW. There's no gliding, so you don't spend anywhere near as much time up high and thus get a lot fewer vista views. Most of the game takes place on valley floors between mountains, so yeah, there just aren't as many views.

I played HZD immediately before BotW, which is a large part of why I found BotW to be a big pile of almost nothing. BotW throws away virtually everything of interest and worth from the Zelda series and replaces it with nothing but some pretty views and mountain climbing, whereas HZD sports an immensely detailed and rich story that is embedded in every aspect of the game.

• Options
    HZD is currently like $12 on sale.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    I’d love a glider in any future HZD game

Although you’d probably get immediately wrecked by a glinthawk...why not just expand the available list of mountable bots? Limiting it to the boring horse/oxen bots was kind of a bummer.

Let me ride a snapmaw across the lake. Let me fly a glinthawk or a thunderbird.

knitdan on
  • Options
    I’d love a glider in any future HZD game

Although you’d probably get immediately wrecked by a glinthawk...why not just expand the available list of mountable bots? Limiting it to the boring horse/oxen bots was kind of a bummer.

Probably the same reason that flying is often limited in MMOs. It trivializes content.

This discussion has been closed.